SFC Forum RPG Discussion: Level you become when promoted

Playing the SFC Forum RPG? Got a question or just want to talk about it? This is the place!

Moderator: Shining Moderators

katgirlfeli
Shining Member
Shining Member

Level you become when promoted

Post by katgirlfeli »

A simple question.

If I promote at level 10, such as with my Priest, into a Master Monk, is the Level 1 Master Monk considered Total Level 11 (much like in Shining Force)? I just want to make sure so that I don't promote her without being able to give her the Level 11 Power Glove.

Well, another question: Do Brave Apples put you at 0 EXP at the level up or is it a pure 100 EXP?
Rune
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: Level you become when promoted

Post by Rune »

Yes, you get a level up for the promotion. If you promote at level 10 you can use level 11 equipment.
katgirlfeli
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by katgirlfeli »

Thanks for the quick answer.

Edit: And I just have my answer for the Brave Apple.

I decided to level up my Priest from 9 to 10. While she is a monster tank taking only 1 damage per hit from most melee attacks, she also only deals about 1 ATK or so since I have none of the Mithril Weapons or Priest, so her ATK is rather low ><
Cullsoft
Shining Furce
Shining Legend

Post by Cullsoft »

Yep, that's pretty much par for the course with the Priest/Vicar Class. Even though I was eventually able to get one or two Mithril Rods, I'd already gotten higher than the weapon's starting level and was still doing just 1 damage. You're better off relying on Power Waters if you're trying to go melee.

Due to a lack of Power Waters, I ended up relying on the solid defence - many battles wound up being a grind of both the enemy and I doing 1HP damage to eachother, healing whenever I was getting low on HP (word of advice - Aura's a waste until you start reaching endgame... healing 50HP for 20MP isn't economical), and I was able to hold my ground through most battles.

Personally, I found Desoul was the way to go for all out attacks - the OHKO usually kicked in within 2-3 attacks. Blessing was also handy at times - 12MP sounds like a hefty amount, but at least it causes ~12-15HP damage as well as healing you for that amount. This does mean investing in plenty of Bright Honeys, having a good supply of Fairy Tears and/or stopping off at the Inn regularly (I'd recommend having a team of at least 2 or 3 characters on the go so they can all be healed in one stay), but it makes the battles a lot less grindy (plus I also feel guilty that some of these battles can mean up to 50 page loads - not good for the bandwidth :( ).

One other bit of advice: Like levelling up, Promotion refills all your stats. Don't promote as soon as you hit L10, instead keep battling until wither your MP is used up or you get killed. Promoting will then fully heal/revive you.
katgirlfeli
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by katgirlfeli »

Cullsoft wrote:(I'd recommend having a team of at least 2 or 3 characters on the go so they can all be healed in one stay).
So Inns heal all of your characters, not just your active one?

Inns seemed like the preferred way to recover yourself post at level 15 instead of paying for revives which would begin to cost more from then on out x.o

Its a little easier to die and revive to get back MP and such early on than paying for other kinds of recovery. Gold comes in slowly and hope to get some ok drops to sell/use eventually.

In any case, thank you for the useful information, Culley.
Cullsoft
Shining Furce
Shining Legend

Post by Cullsoft »

Inns will restore the HP and MP for all of your characters who are not KO'd (i.e. HP's at 0) - if anyone is KO'd, the Inn has no effect on them and you'll get a message saying something like "Looks like some of your team need to see a Priest". The Inn does not cure status effects - these still need Detox magic, Antidotes, Fairy Powders or curing at HQ.

Item capsules can be your friend. They've been able to provide me with an inexpensive supply of items, and I usally end up with a bundle of items worth more than the capsules. Fairy Powders appear a decent number of times - always handy for making Protect Milks. I tend to spend at least 5 of my daily item uses on Item Capsules, and they keep me stocked up nicely.

Whilst letting yourself get KO'd may seem like a feasible option early on, even before L10 it can prove to be a very pricey way of recovering - especially if you find yourself dying more than twice per level. I usually stop letting people get KO'd after L3 - a Medical Herb easily covers lost HP, and if they need MP I bench them and work on other characters until a couple of them need healing at the Inn.

In regards to having enough MP, I usually buff up a magic-based character with a couple of Bright Honeys before or during their first battles; however, I wasn't able to do this with my Vicar as she was my first character, but fortunately her MP and defence growth kept her going, even if her attack power dropped out early on. There were wuite a few frustrated revives before the Protect Milk recipe was discovered.
katgirlfeli
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by katgirlfeli »

I never really need to use it twice per level. The Priest's DEF level ups were quite nice enough to keep me from running into too many problems.

I did open a lot of Item Capsules with my Daily Cash instead of playing the Battle portion and started getting back into it recently with my Priest. I also started opening Figures over Chests since I seemed to be having better luck with Figures that would be worth some cash (getting Max - Chaos Breaker and Slade in the process, among others). I still switch back when I want to do something else.

I suppose working on multiple characters at once is another way to do things instead of just doing it once at a time, and would be more beneficial later if you're using the Inn when you have many of them. I'll keep that in mind.

I saw the recipes in another topic and was able to make a few Power Waters for my Master Monk with the drops I got from Chests... then a few from Medical Herbs into Drops, so she should be ok for a little bit.

Thanks again.