Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Hearts
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Shining Heart announced for PSP.

Discussion about the new Japanese Shining game for PSP.
Forum rules
As this is a new game please be careful of posting spoilers! Don't forget to use the spoiler tags :)

Re: Shining Heart announced for PSP.

Postby Tarethen » Wed Dec 22 2010 6:56pm

>100K copies sold in the first week... Not too shabby, I guess. Still no chance of it coming to NA.
Tarethen

jRPG Newsman
Shining Legend

Postby Ashley » Wed Dec 22 2010 9:31pm

I heard that it sold, in one day, as much as Feather did in a week. That does not bode well for those of us who prefer the SRPG style.

Which has got to be all of us, right?
Ashley

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Christine » Tue Feb 01 2011 9:32am

Sega Twitter informed that Shining Hearts 160k UMD copies and that is not counting the DL version. It was at the top of the chart.

I've also found out that SH was done by CS3, the same as Valkyria Chronicles.

I agree it might not be good for SRPGs but you must not forget VC was a head turner. It picked a dead beaten genre and gave it a facelift, making it interesting again. The team might do the same worthy for the Shining Series.
Christine

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Ashley » Thu Feb 03 2011 8:58pm

Do you have a source you can point me to for that? It's very pleasing information, really. I can't think of a better team to be in charge of the series.
Ashley

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Kaihaku » Thu Feb 03 2011 9:11pm

I rather enjoyed the comments on this article.

Good now stop making shitty Shining games and go back to making classic Shining Force games in the classic SRPG style with the classic art.

HELL, they already have the Canvas engine which would be perfect for a brand new Shining Force 4 after a couple of tweeks.

What are they waiting for… I swear they are doing everything with this bloody series BUT what the fans want.

I’m honestly hoping this game bombs and that Sega just drops this new Shining series. Whatever happened to the REAL Shining Force games? Not just that, but what about the Shining in the Darkness, the Holy Ark etc.? Why do they continue to ruin the Shining name with these horribly generic and cliche anime junk?

Maybe they should stop focusing in on cashing in on Lolita Force and actually make a good game with solid story and believable characters.

Go back to your roots and figure out what made the originals more popular than the ones that are out today.

But then someone had to pop in with cold, hard facts and ruin the grumbling fest.

“What are they waiting for… I swear they are doing everything with this bloody series BUT what the fans want.”

Because what they are currently doing with the series has sold three times the stuff the fans wanted.

“I’m honestly hoping this game bombs and that Sega just drops this new Shining series. Whatever happened to the REAL Shining Force games? Not just that, but what about the Shining in the Darkness, the Holy Ark etc.? Why do they continue to ruin the Shining name with these horribly generic and cliche anime junk?”

Two things.

Firstly sales, below are the lifetime sales of several Shining games in Japan;

Shining the Holy Ark: 83,641
Shining Soul: 72,997
Shining Force 3 (S1): 67,516
Shining Force 3 (S2): 37,592
Shining Force 3 (S3): 38,382
Shining Force: Resurrection of Dark Dragon: 34,794
Shining Soul 2: 13,928
Shining Force Neo: 96,013
Shining Tears: 104,762
Shining Force EXA: 130,763
Shining Wind: 126,561
Shining Force Feather: 62,907

As you can see, the best selling Shining game in the series is actually one of those anime junk ones, so is the second and third best selling one. And as for SRPG, the best selling one (Shining Force Feather) is only half of the first and second best selling ones. SEGA also make a great deal of money of off the models of characters from the series. And the one with the most “Classic” style of all of them (Shining Soul 2) absolutely bombed in sales.

Second point, SEGA have asked Camelot a few times to develop a new Shining game for them, alas to no success.

“Go back to your roots and figure out what made the originals more popular than the ones that are out today.”

It’s expected from a number of retailers that Shining Hearts will become one of the best selling Shining games, so unfortunately, it currently enjoys more popularity now than prior in Japan. A true shame.

I should clarify that I prefer the original Shining style (Although I only liked the Force series, the rest I could care less about) but the sad truth was that it never sold as well as the series is doing now in Japan. I doubt Shining Force 1 or 2 sold a great deal either, considering SEGA’s success with the Mega Drive in Japan (Which it was not, sadly)

Hmm. Interesting points Aki-at.

I guess some of us here have just hit that generational gap. :( We’re too old for trendy games perhaps.

I wonder how well Shining Force 3 1-3 sold in Japan compared to the newer Shining series. I’d love a nice deep strategy RPG in the SF universe. I’d even be fine with the newer art style as long as the story was good enough. :)

Aki-At I’ll give you that but it’s just frustrating is all I am saying. I still feel the older games were just better as a whole then these newer ones. Sadly sales are the best way to speak to a company and what sales is what is what will be made. I’d just love to see Camelot take another crack at the Force games. They must still really hate Sega after that whole SF3 fiasco.

The discussion continues...but I think I might sign up for an account just so I can promote the SOS campaign. It sounds like these commenters might be interested.

Also, here are sales numbers for Shining Hearts.
Kaihaku

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Ashley » Fri Feb 04 2011 12:38am

So Shining Hearts is the best selling game in the series? [Assuming the Mega Drive games sold less] At least that means the IP will continue, I guess.
Ashley

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Kaihaku » Fri Feb 04 2011 12:53am

I wish I knew the Virtual Console numbers.
Kaihaku

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Devonathan » Fri Feb 04 2011 1:05am

Kaihaku wrote:I wish I knew the Virtual Console numbers.

Don't forget the Steam numbers as well. As far as I can tell the Classic Pack 4 has been selling really well.
Devonathan

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Christine » Fri Feb 04 2011 11:30am

Ashley wrote:Do you have a source you can point me to for that? It's very pleasing information, really. I can't think of a better team to be in charge of the series.

Sega-Bits forums is a very nice place to get information on numbers. There are a few japanese members on it as well, who have been providing information regularly. Here it is one of them, the one that says it:
http://www.segabits.com/forums/viewtopi ... 824#p26824

Sega JP Twitter is in japanese (of course), so unless you know japanese, it woun't do you much good.
https://twitter.com/sega_feed

About CS3, it is, Sawada is the director of it after all.

I know sales for the Virtual Console are impossible to get. The companies won't release them. Maybe it's the same with Steam.

The problem with the Shining Force formula is that it's niche and it just won't sell. They've tried to, but it just won't. No matter what, Sega is an enterprise, it needs to make money to stay afloat. If Shining starts rising in numbers like Hearts did, then I believe they'd try a complete revamp of the franchise, via something like Valkyria. There's much creativity in the japanese Sega studios. However, older fans won't like it, because it's not Shining Force as they knew. So it's a loss-loss situation regardless.

Albeit Sega has tried to make Camelot back on boat several times, they won't accept it. And it won't make much of a difference either. The first Golden Sun sold well, but the other two not really. Hearts has managed to sell much more in Japan in the same time frame, in a time of crisis and in the PSP no less.
Christine

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Kaihaku » Fri Feb 04 2011 3:24pm

Christine wrote:Albeit Sega has tried to make Camelot back on boat several times, they won't accept it. And it won't make much of a difference either. The first Golden Sun sold well, but the other two not really. Hearts has managed to sell much more in Japan in the same time frame, in a time of crisis and in the PSP no less.

I've heard this before at SegaBits and it seems to be based on information that only the Japanese members are privy to; I would love to see an actual source, even if it is in Japanese. Considering that we're in the midst of the SOS Campaign, it would be relevant to know more about Sega's relationship with Camelot.
Kaihaku

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Thief » Fri Feb 04 2011 4:55pm

Guess Shining Force III falls under the same evaluation that Fire Emblem: Thracia 776. Both are exceptional games in their own right, but released towards the end of their respective consoles' life cycle, hence the low sales figures. Which translates to gamers generations later concluding from sheer sales figures that they were utter failures and hence "unworthy".

I can see Neo and Exa selling well, but Tears and Wind? Really? Perhaps saying that there is no accounting for taste is true, after all. Well, they were lucky for being released on a platform that owned its generation, among others.
Thief

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Kaihaku » Fri Feb 04 2011 5:07pm

Thief wrote:Well, they were lucky for being released on a platform that owned its generation, among others.

Insightful. Perhaps the reason that the Shining series has had better sales of late is directly related to that fact that they are on far more popular consoles.
Kaihaku

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Christine » Fri Feb 04 2011 11:14pm

The trouble with that reasoning is the PSP is not popular. At least not popular enough for software. Especially now that has been cracked. Selling anything on the PSP is an achievement in itself.

Also, the Saturn demographic on Japan was not low as it was in the west. It was quite high actually, so if it didn't sell, unfortunetly people just weren't interested.

Kaihaku wrote:
Christine wrote:Albeit Sega has tried to make Camelot back on boat several times, they won't accept it. And it won't make much of a difference either. The first Golden Sun sold well, but the other two not really. Hearts has managed to sell much more in Japan in the same time frame, in a time of crisis and in the PSP no less.

I've heard this before at SegaBits and it seems to be based on information that only the Japanese members are privy to; I would love to see an actual source, even if it is in Japanese. Considering that we're in the midst of the SOS Campaign, it would be relevant to know more about Sega's relationship with Camelot.

They get their numbers from the Famitsu magazine. You get such numbers from Neogaf as well. For example, the numbers for the first week.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=417875
Christine

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Kaihaku » Fri Feb 04 2011 11:25pm

Christine wrote:They get their numbers from the Famitsu magazine. You get such numbers from Neogaf as well. For example, the numbers for the first week.

Thanks for the link, I'm glad to have another source for sales figures. I should have been more specific instead of just quoting the whole paragraph, but I was actually asking for sources on "Sega has tried to make Camelot back on boat several times, they won't accept it."
Kaihaku

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Omega Entity » Wed Jun 29 2011 5:48pm

SPAM!
(8:23:45 PM) ehow1990: stupid question: why do you have hay there?
(8:23:54 PM) YsFanatic18: She was feedigng horses
(8:23:58 PM) MXC0Spike: Barn sex
(8:24:07 PM) ahath714: She stuffs.
(8:24:39 PM) ehow1990: ask a stupid question and everybody has an answer XD

SFCW Character Sheet

SC Character Sheet

SFCW Character Sheet

SC Character Sheet
Omega Entity

*jiggle*
Shining Legend

Postby Kaihaku » Wed Jun 29 2011 6:13pm

Seems pretty on topic to me... Shining Heart is one of the best FPS on PSP after all.
Kaihaku

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Omega Entity » Wed Jun 29 2011 6:17pm

:lol:

SFCW Character Sheet

SC Character Sheet

SFCW Character Sheet

SC Character Sheet
Omega Entity

*jiggle*
Shining Legend

Postby Kaihaku » Fri Jul 01 2011 5:20pm

But yeah...

Kaihaku wrote:
Christine wrote:They get their numbers from the Famitsu magazine. You get such numbers from Neogaf as well. For example, the numbers for the first week.

Thanks for the link, I'm glad to have another source for sales figures. I should have been more specific instead of just quoting the whole paragraph, but I was actually asking for sources on "Sega has tried to make Camelot back on boat several times, they won't accept it."

Anyone?
The Once and Future Kai
"The quick brown vox jumps ofer the lazy dog"
The Once and Future Kai
"The quick brown vox jumps ofer the lazy dog"
Kaihaku

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Dr. Casey » Mon Jul 04 2011 10:43pm

Tarethen wrote:Revealed in this week's Famitsu, Hearts is a traditional RPG where you attempt to open the door to someone's heart via a heartful lifestyle.

lol best tagline ever

This does need to be translated though, looks like the best Shining game since Shining Force 3.
Dr. Casey

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby sulfuroxp » Mon Jul 04 2011 10:48pm

Dr. Casey wrote:
Tarethen wrote:Revealed in this week's Famitsu, Hearts is a traditional RPG where you attempt to open the door to someone's heart via a heartful lifestyle.

This does need to be translated though, looks like the best Shining game since Shining Force 3.

SF Feather and Soul II
sulfuroxp

Lost Shining Purple
Shining Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Shining Hearts