Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force II
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Shining Force 2 Editor Release

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Re: Shining Force 2 Editor Release

Postby Lord Oddeye sama » Sun Feb 13 2011 12:18am

Just downloaded the latest release and I'm having troubles with the stat calculator. Every time I try to use it I get "Run-time error '13'. Type mismatch." and the editor closes.

I am using a clean [!] rom of SF2. What could be the problem?

EDIT: fixed by fiddling with the "Regional and Language Options" in the control panel. Thank you Space King! :)
I despise berzerk attitude.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Secretary of Odds and Ends, Rainblood Secessionists
Jinx unto ye!

Wargasm @ Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:26 am wrote:Vous êtes tous douches. J'aime le monde des poissons bleus.

Do you like Shining Force 1? Do you like orchestral remixes? Then this is for you: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24551#p668069
I despise berzerk attitude.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Secretary of Odds and Ends, Rainblood Secessionists
Jinx unto ye!

Wargasm @ Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:26 am wrote:Vous êtes tous douches. J'aime le monde des poissons bleus.

Do you like Shining Force 1? Do you like orchestral remixes? Then this is for you: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24551#p668069
Lord Oddeye sama

Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Postby Mixfortune » Sat Mar 12 2011 8:52am

I wasn't sure which thread would be best to ask this question as there's a few pertaining to the Shining Force 2 Editor and a few for the Caravan, so I just went with one that seemed to have some of the most recent posts.

I'm working on a private edit and I'm using both programs in tandem. I've fiddled with the Shining Force 2 Editor fields for a while and have figured out how they generally work, but most of the concrete progress I've done so far is with the Caravan, so I'm working with the expanded 4mb .bin rom.

The issue I seem to be having is that now when I open the Character Stats editor, the default values for the pointers on the Battle Sprite Model and Palette now all appear to contain triple digit 1xx values. For example, Elric 1 (Archer) has the default values of Model #136 and Palette #134, and May 1 (Ranger) has Model #144 and Palette #112. However, changing the values does nothing, regardless of whether I change it to the "original" range or the new ones. For example, changing Chester's Battle Sprite pointer to the old Rohde (19-1, I believe) or the new Rohde (166-164) had no effect; Chester's sprite remained as Chester's.

While I could circumvent this somewhat by exporting Rohde's sprite and importing it over Chester's with the Caravan, it would be much simpler in the long run if I could save importing and exporting solely for original color swaps.

Is there something I'm missing here as far as a means to fix this, or does something with expanded rom/importing-exporting of Battle Sprites simply cause the pointers to disconnect from their... pointees?
Mixfortune

Postby SirHedge » Sun Mar 13 2011 6:59pm

How astoundingly odd. Using my hacked ROM everything works in both of the two most recent releases of SF2Edit. However, using a fresh, unhacked 4MB ROM that's been converted by the Caravan I get the error you describe. That doesn't make any sense. Hopefully Space King will have time to look into this.

As for your hack itself, I hope you have a save of it prior to your attempted change of Chester's battle sprite to Rhode. I'm assuming that the numbers you are editing originated from code elsewhere in the ROM and what you're doing is overwriting that code, corrupting your hack. I certainly can't guarantee that since I don't really know how SF2Edit works, but that was my experience when I encountered strange entries in the past.
SirHedge

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Mixfortune » Mon Mar 14 2011 2:12am

Aye, something definitely seems to have happened, as saving overhead map sprites results in the following error, along with the Caravan "crashing" or stopping.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "caravan.py", line 845, in OnSave
File "caravan.py", line 1047, in saveFile
File "rom.pyo", line 2935, in writeAllData
File "rom.pyo", line 3279, in writeSprites
File "rom.pyo", line 2773, in writeBytes
TypeError: Non-hexadecimal digit found

While everything else seems savable, such as editing Battle Sprites, the Sprites function now runs into this error 100% of the time when saving. I seem to recall I was able to successfully save a minor sprite edit on Karna prior to the errors, but after noting the 1xx values on SF2Editor, though. The rom is still runnable but I must've broke something in how it interacts with said editors, so it's likely I'll have to start over.

I'll have to keep more hack backups, but I didn't lose much this time around anyways.

I've tried to replicate the problem with another rom but have yet to come across the combination of edits that hits that sweet spot. In the meantime I'll just restart, throw the errors out as some sort of anomaly, and just ignore the pointers in SF2Editor and import them through Caravan instead.
Mixfortune

Postby Space King » Mon Mar 14 2011 7:32am

It... is pretty douchey of me, sitting on the fix for this for ~1/2 a year. So I went ahead and pushed a build that should fix this issue.
Space King

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Mixfortune » Tue Mar 15 2011 12:24pm

Thanks, so far this seems to work.
Also, no worries about the timing, I can understand the pacing's a bit odd around here these days, and the fact that you were able to answer so quickly, as well as staying on top of being one of the few in the field, is definitely appreciated and more than makes up for it, haha.
Mixfortune

Postby LordOddEye » Fri Mar 18 2011 2:35am

Space King wrote:Release 1 is out there for ya'all.

There are a lot of "neat" things you can find in there; a lot of arrows seem to share the critical sword's "increased critical" mod. Also seeing how the alternate promotions compare to one another. Chester really looks like he got gimped with Pegasus Knight.

This should be sufficient to make a difficulty modification, or a character rebalance. Personally, Peter is massively overpowered; he should have his move reduced to 6 and his defense and life reduced somewhat. In the same vein, birdman oughta be bumped back up to 7 move - does anyone have any idea why they dropped it to 6 in this game?

Another handy use of it could be to set the default names of people to HUMAN NAMES THAT AREN'T ALL IN CAPS.

Very Nice Good Job!
LordOddEye

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Earl » Fri May 06 2011 7:55pm

Space King wrote:It... is pretty douchey of me, sitting on the fix for this for ~1/2 a year. So I went ahead and pushed a build that should fix this issue.

Heh. Thanks. I just ran into the same problem as Mixfortune.

The only thing I did with SF2Edit was to rename characters. It sounds like what changed from 1.5a-b fixes whatever went wonky, but in case there was still mystery as to what might trigger the error I thought I'd throw that out there since I hadn't done the kind of extensive editing that'd be difficult to reproduce.
Earl

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Space King » Sat May 07 2011 11:12am

It was entirely my fault - when I was changing the program to locate data lists off of the places that list their address in the rom, I was sloppy and careless and left in an incorrect assumption (BNC did text me a list of locations, so there's no excuse).

However, I'm using my evil ex as an excuse. It's all her fault.
Space King

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Stordarth » Sat May 07 2011 1:40pm

Space King wrote:It was entirely my fault - when I was changing the program to locate data lists off of the places that list their address in the rom, I was sloppy and careless and left in an incorrect assumption (BNC did text me a list of locations, so there's no excuse).

However, I'm using my evil ex as an excuse. It's all her fault.

A perfectly valid excuse if I may say so.

Code: Select all
Dice Codes
Attack/Marked Target: /roll 8d100
Damage Variance (Rebels): /roll d26 [Everyone.]
Damage Variance (Emissaries): /roll d24 [Assassins with Katana], /roll d21 [MXC, TUM with Blade], /roll d26 [Any other case.]
Magic: /roll d26
Status Effects: /roll d100
Level-Ups (No MP): /roll 4d11
Level-Ups (Has MP): /roll 5d11

---
SFCW-A: Durandar
Sunken Castle: Fintan Kahn

Dice Codes
Damage Variance (Emissaries): /roll d24 [Assassins with Katana], /roll d21 [MXC, TUM with Blade], /roll d26 [Any other case.]

---
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby RastaOddeye » Wed May 11 2011 1:44pm

It's really good to be able to give people different spells, i've give lemon both levels of desoul, i've give kiwi magic points and gave him katon and demon breath. Gerhalt, Zynk and Claude all have boost and attack.
I'm arrogant, and proud of it.
RastaOddeye

Zeons Third General
Shining Legend

Postby Aldur » Wed May 11 2011 5:27pm

RastaOddeye wrote:It's really good to be able to give people different spells, i've give lemon both levels of desoul, i've give kiwi magic points and gave him katon and demon breath. Gerhalt, Zynk and Claude all have boost and attack.

What's the reasoning? As wouldn't that make unbalanced characters even more unbalanced? O_o
MDMG Alex's gay jokes counter: 3

Aldur: Finally it's just us in here
Aldur: lets have wild passionate cyber rp
omega entity: mmm
omega entity: cyber RP

Ri3mannZeta: I LOVE YOU HGUYS BECAUSE YOU ARE ALL HUMANS
omega entity: lol
geddis the hero: Z what
Ri3mannZeta: what up aldur
Ri3mannZeta: you are cool as f**k
Ri3mannZeta): ;,fap
Ri3mannZeta: i love you guysd so much

TheUnknownMarine: Man I don't like the feel of this.
VoxPVoxD: take it out of your butt

Kalos Krystalpaw EXP: 54650/55000
62/62HP, 29AC, 15AC flat footed, 18 AC touch, Spell Resistance: 22, Fort+12 Reflex+14, Will+16
Energy Resistance Acid, Cold, Elec, Sonic and fire: 10. DR: 5/magic
24 hour Invocations: See the Unseen, Beguiling Influence

0 personal GP

0th: 6/6, 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8 3rd: 5/5
MDMG Alex's gay jokes counter: 3

Aldur: Finally it's just us in here
Aldur: lets have wild passionate cyber rp
omega entity: mmm
omega entity: cyber RP

Ri3mannZeta: I LOVE YOU HGUYS BECAUSE YOU ARE ALL HUMANS
omega entity: lol
geddis the hero: Z what
Ri3mannZeta: what up aldur
Ri3mannZeta: you are cool as f**k
Ri3mannZeta): ;,fap
Ri3mannZeta: i love you guysd so much

TheUnknownMarine: Man I don't like the feel of this.
VoxPVoxD: take it out of your butt

Kalos Krystalpaw EXP: 54650/55000
62/62HP, 29AC, 15AC flat footed, 18 AC touch, Spell Resistance: 22, Fort+12 Reflex+14, Will+16
Energy Resistance Acid, Cold, Elec, Sonic and fire: 10. DR: 5/magic
24 hour Invocations: See the Unseen, Beguiling Influence

0 personal GP

0th: 6/6, 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8 3rd: 5/5
Aldur

FABULOUS
Shining Legend

Postby Stordarth » Wed May 11 2011 6:09pm

Aldur wrote:
RastaOddeye wrote:It's really good to be able to give people different spells, i've give lemon both levels of desoul, i've give kiwi magic points and gave him katon and demon breath. Gerhalt, Zynk and Claude all have boost and attack.

What's the reasoning? As wouldn't that make unbalanced characters even more unbalanced? O_o

Maybe he's just playing around?

I remember when I first found this I had all kinds of fun making Kiwi's breath a spell usable at will and doubling his hp.

Ahhhhh, fun times.

Dice Codes

---

Dice Codes

---
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby nightshade00123 » Wed May 11 2011 11:19pm

I did the same thing when I first started to get a feel for what I could do, and plus some force members just sucked. But I quickly realized balance and playability are the main things that make it fun and a lasting experience rather than uber pwn everything that crosses my path.
nightshade00123

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby RastaOddeye » Wed Jun 01 2011 12:56pm

One problem i keep having is when i get to new granseal having used this editor, it never lets me in the war room, just freezes with a black screen.

And on the shop editor it has "Bonus Shop", i've never encountered this before so can i ask what it is please?

Alsoi think i speak for everyone when i ask why this thread has not been stickied?
RastaOddeye

Zeons Third General
Shining Legend

Postby Stordarth » Wed Jun 01 2011 3:20pm

Stickied. i intended to do it, but it slipped my mind.

Dice Codes

---

Dice Codes

---
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby nightshade00123 » Thu Jun 02 2011 4:47pm

While I was adding in new spells for my characters I came across something weird. As I was trying to complete one of my classes with it's new spells it said "This program limits expanding this section beyond 500 times". I certainly haven't added 500 spells total between the characters not even close, maybe about 160 between them all.

What does this mean, aside from the obvious, is their a rom limit. I know I can't just manually insert bytes into the rom for spells using a hex editor because it will shift data below it and move pointers around and cause problems.

So Spaceking if you read this can you tell me if this can be bypassed or if I can fix it in some way?
nightshade00123

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Space King » Wed Jun 15 2011 2:13am

It's 500 bytes. Each spell takes 2. Each stat block takes around 10 or so.

If start with a fresh rom, use the Caravan's expando-routine, then it should lift the limit.

Since you've asked for it, I can lift it in a mini-release whenever I feel like doing it. But that may be months from now.
Space King

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby nightshade00123 » Wed Jun 15 2011 3:28am

Thanks for the reply. It's already been expanded though so I don't know. But I've cut a few corners and changed my characters spells up a little and made room so I've learned to live with it.

As for the mini-release that would be pretty neat any time you got around to it. :)
nightshade00123

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Space King » Wed Jun 15 2011 6:52pm

nightshade00123 wrote:It's already been expanded though so I don't know.

Boooo, that isn't supposed to work like that

Okay, see if this fixes that.
Space King

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Shining Force II