Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force II
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Secret Configuration Mode #2?

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Secret Configuration Mode #2?

Postby Altin780 » Sun Jul 07 2019 9:12pm

I've been playing through this game for years and I recently found this second "code" floating around that is driving me nuts.

Just like the first config code (Up, Down, Up, Down, etc...), you need to input it on the SEGA screen:

Up, Down, Up, B, C, Right, Left, Up, Down, Up, B, C, Right, Left (Then hold Start, C to start the game)

It makes a noise when you input it, so I'm assuming it does something.

Anyone have any ideas about what this could be?
Altin780

Re: Secret Configuration Mode #2?

Postby Sarah MMNK99 » Mon Aug 26 2019 2:53am

That is the battle select code, but You are doing the code wrong, it's Up, Down, Up, B, C, Right, Left, Up, Down, Up, B, C, Right, Left (Then hold the Up button). It should take you to a screen that says battle select, and has a number in the upper right corner of the screen. 0 is the special fight, 1-43 are the game battles, 44 is the fairy battle, and 45-49 just take you to a black screen.

The next screen has a number that can be changed from 0 to 1. All this does is turn on or off the story segment before the fight. I can't remember which is which. I have no idea what the numbers on the third screen do, just skip past it.

From there the game transitions from battle to battle with menu and shop access between fights, You have your choice of shops from 1-100, some of the are the in game shops, some of the later ones have special items, mithril weapons or even garbage data. You could progress through the game this way, but you would miss all the items found through exploring. I'm guessing this mode is what the Milestone hack is based on, and attempting to fix.
Sarah MMNK99

Postby Stordarth » Mon Aug 26 2019 4:10am

I can help with the third window at least in part.

The third window contains a whole slew of the game's triggers. There are 1024 of them, and only a few were ever fully documented. I can't remember what a lot of them did now, but the first bunch were character related. 0-31 determined heroes acquired, and 32-63 determined heroes in the active party. Each number represents one of the game's heroes in the order they appear in the stat list. (You might notice that there are in fact 32 values - there were two unused hero slots in the game. Earl made some progress in making use of them in a hack at one point.)

After inputting the cheat code, it is also possible to hold the DOWN button as well instead of up, and this will take you to a different menu. This once seems to warp you to different maps, scenes and events in the game depending on which number you select on the first window. The second window is the same 1024 triggers referred to above.

I can't find my old notes on those triggers, but they might still be documented in old threads. I know Lord Oddeye Sama and I think Wiz mostly looked into them in the distant past.

And yes, the battle test is what Milestone used, though indirectly. BNC originally made a Survivor Hack that tweaked that routine. I built off of that to include the proper shops, items and priest access that would be available had you advanced through the game normally.

Code: Select all
Dice Codes
Attack/Marked Target: /roll 8d100
Damage Variance (Rebels): /roll d18 [Blake with Blade], /roll d26 [Other cases.]
Damage Variance (Emissaries): /roll d16 [Zuberi with Blade], /roll d21 [Rain with Katana, Thrald with Blade], /roll d26 [Other cases.]
Magic: /roll d26
Status Effects: /roll d100
Level-Ups (No/Fixed MP): /roll 4d11
Level-Ups (Has MP): /roll 5d11

---
SFCW-A: Durandar
Sunken Castle: Fintan Kahn

Dice Codes
Damage Variance (Rebels): /roll d18 [Blake with Blade], /roll d26 [Other cases.]
Damage Variance (Emissaries): /roll d16 [Zuberi with Blade], /roll d21 [Rain with Katana, Thrald with Blade], /roll d26 [Other cases.]

---
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Stordarth » Mon Aug 26 2019 4:18am

Scratch that. Found it.

The link in the post is to a word document that has a good portion of useful debug values mapped out. Worth a read through if you want to play with the battle test with more granularity.

Dice Codes

---

Dice Codes

---
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Kilieni » Tue Aug 27 2019 2:51pm

And if you don't hold down or up, you put the game into debug mode. Holding B lets you walk through walls, holding left as a fight scene starts causes less damage to be inflicted, holding right causes a double attack and counter that all miss or a crit for magic, and you can access any magic or item effect in the game and use them on any target in a battle by holding start when executing a command and knowing the right numbers to select. Those numbers are listed at https://sf2.shiningforcecentral.com/sec ... ial-codes/
Kilieni

Postby Cush831 » Tue Aug 27 2019 4:33pm

Never was able to get the config 2 to work for me in all my years, this reply is also my attempt to get the attention of someone to approve my forum posts, obviously the board is semi active a d it's been 3 days....
Cush831

Postby Stordarth » Tue Aug 27 2019 5:50pm

That too. Thanks for the addition, Kilieni.

Apologies for that, Cush831. The boards are bombarded with spam posts regularly. It's very hard to spot the genuine posts amidst the copious amounts of crud. I have approved this and your other post (just one of the duplicate topics, since the two submissions were identical.).

Dice Codes

---

Dice Codes

---
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Kilieni » Wed Aug 28 2019 12:14pm

When I first found out about debug mode I started messing around with it while streaming on Twitch. People asked "WHAT IS THIS SORCERY?" while I was using Demon Breath on everything. lol
Kilieni

Postby Stordarth » Fri Aug 30 2019 12:26am

*Kiwi spewed out Demon Breath - and actually became dangerous*

:p

Dice Codes

---

Dice Codes

---
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Return to Shining Force II