Having issues with Caravan to edit sprites

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23 2019 7:09pm
by Vegeta9001
Hi everybody something like 7 years ago I was messing around with Caravan and made a hack of Shining Force 2 with my own sprites and stats for monster and force members and I felt like improving it by adding some more stuff in it.

For example here is what I did.

Hero Battle1.gif

I edited the hero sprite to make him look like Young Link.

But today I tried to add the Shining Force 1 hero after editing it to make it look like Link too and this is what happen.

Hero Battle2.gif

I have no idea why it does that I never had this issue before in the past as far as I can remember, I tried to change the colors and I messed with this for 2 hours without resolving this issue.

I'm still using Caravan v0.6 and I have no idea i there is better program that was made since then to edit the game, anybody can help me out?

(BTW I would like to know if there is better program than Caravan v0.6 maybe an updated version? To edit sprites of the character or edit the game in general.)

Re: Having issues with Caravan to edit sprites

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23 2019 7:30pm
by FfuzzyLogik
The problem here is a "palette" problem. The first colour (black in the second gif) is considered as transparent. You must use something to make the purple being the first colour !
I personnaly use actually Gimp (who's free) to do that. You open your gif, you go on "colour" then one sub-option give ability to re-organize palette. You can place the colour will be "transparent" on the left.
Notice one important detail, the two last colours will be used for weapons and I suggest to place black and white at the same slots, I suppose they are used aswell. So "transparent" first then white then black.

You can also use Wiz tools to work ; I have not used them for now but they look very nice ! They intend to give more abilities but all's not finished. Read on forum about them.

Have a good day,

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23 2019 7:49pm
by Vegeta9001
Thanks man, I'll try that, do you know if there was any update on Caravan or if someone made a better program to edit SF2? Since I'm still using the 7-9 years old Caravan V0.6

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23 2019 9:15pm
by FfuzzyLogik
It looks to be the latest. In my case I came here just two monthes ago so I'm not the best person to have answers. As I told Wiz is making a new "toolbox" but its in progression. Again, read posts about that ; they are recent...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23 2019 9:28pm
by Vegeta9001
Alright sorry about that, I'll try to see if there is a better program than Caravan to edit the text/dialogue in the game since with Caravan I remember the game breaking for some reason.

And also thanks I was able to fix the issue with the sprites. <3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24 2019 3:21pm
by FfuzzyLogik
Cool if it works, its perfect.