Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force II
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Detox Less Useless

also a rework of status effects and other things

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Re: Detox Less Useless

Postby DiegoMM » Sun Dec 23 2018 12:47pm

Is a even better solution than mine. But where you should display the icon? In magic part? Is it possible to use in the same spot that the 2 jewels are displayed in bowie status screen?
Speaking...tires me.
Fighting...tires me
I'm tired.
Speaking...tires me.
Fighting...tires me
I'm tired.
DiegoMM

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Siel » Fri Feb 01 2019 1:39am

Oops, I had another look at the Agility Affects Evasion patch and figured out why it doesn't work properly: I accidentally deleted one line of code too many when I was taking out stuff I used for debug testing before creating the patcher (which is also why debug mode never showed anything wrong despite the actual patch's dysfunctionality). This resulted in the RNG check using garbage data or, more precisely, the defender's unit ID instead of the intended evasion value. Bowie, being ID 0, thus had abnormally high rates of dodging (i.e. 100%).

Anyway, here's the fixed version of the patch AgilityAffectsEvasion_fixed
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby FfuzzyLogik » Sun Feb 10 2019 10:30pm

Hello there.
Thank you for update Siel ! :thumbsup: (This smilies don't look to smile but... I smile !)

I was thinking a bit about some spells changes. First of all, I find spells who makes somehting else than "damage" or "heal" intresting. It increases strategy !
So spells like boost, slow, muddle, sleep... Are intresting to change a bit game's playstyle and possibilites to "win" some part of fight.

Comparing boost and slow (the old one) is easy... Boost is quite OP and slow a bit shitty... (for the ones who think so, useless to read demonstration :( ).
- First, experience. "Bonuses" spells all have the great advantage to "not miss" so you have many experience in doing them. You can even "cheat" in a way making "infinite levels" quite easily. Second... You can place your troops how required to use spell on many of your members... Ennemies won't group for you can cast "slow on them" for example.
- Second, effect. You can miss ennemies, you cannot miss allies. So even if you slow great amount of ennemies, it normally not work on all of them.
- Third, why not hit ? If you hit or you cast damaging spell, as the game is done, except for boss (who're quite immune to decreasing spells), you'll two hit/spell them generally. So if one of your troop just waste turn to "slow" and not do damage nor heal, its quite a dangerous waste of turn... If you boost, you can have some chances to "play faster" than opponent and all ally will resist and you needn't to go close of ennemies (with your caster who's quite weak in general case).

That said, I have some ideas... To make them more "of use"...
How you made "slow"a "slowing" spell (who's actually sleep) is quite nice... If you add this with a patch giving ability to "spell or shoot" from very far, that shall be good. But if spells are quite "close" (as it actually is in game) what's the use of doing a slow spell who decreases moove speed if you place a spellcaster not far from ennemies ? He'll be the focus of the "slowed" ennemy... And notice than there is a possibility for him to not be slowed... So, as usual, slow risk to be out of use...
The idea is : make slow decreases more the speed ? So if speed is drastically decreased (lets say 0% speed first turn, then 25% then 50% for example - round down), the unit will be rooted the first turn, so the mage can flee then the slow continues and ennemy will not have good initiative. The spell shall be stronger ?
For this spell, increasing the rate of working shall not be OP aswell ?

=> So the "slow" spell will really "slow" in all its definitions (speed and agility) : -25% agility all the time ; speed reduced by 100%, 75%, 50%.
=> For the "sleep" spell maybe the "weakening attack" you made + the effect of muddle lv1 ? -25% attack all turns and "muddle 1" (so loss more accuracy). [So maybe make muddle do "muddle 2" at all levels]
=> And for "boost" spell : I thought about rename it "stone skin" and increase defense but decrease agility ? +25% Def and -25% agi (for 3 turns as usual). Maybe gives less experience as it can't fail ?
What do you think about that ?

I hope I don't bother you with useless ideas... Have a good night.
FfuzzyLogik

Postby Siel » Sat Feb 16 2019 9:19pm

If you want spells with longer range, there's the 15range patch in the opening post. Otherwise, here you go:

Buff Debuff Status Redux - Root Stoneskin Blind version
This patch contains the same changes as the one in the opening post, but with these differences:
BOOST (Stoneskin): decreases AGI by 25% in addition to increasing DEF by 25%
SLOW (Root): decreases AGI by 25% and MOV by 100/75/50% instead of decreasing DEF
SLEEP (Blind?): confers MUDDLE's accuracy penalty in addition to decreasing ATK by 25%, but without affecting MOV
MUDDLE: either level of the spell has MUDDLE 2's effect

And while I was at it, I fixed a minor issue in the original patch:

Buff Debuff Status Redux - fix
correction: BOOST's message now displays the proper DEF value
known discrepancy: SLEEP's message mentions AGI instead of ATT being reduced (there's no dialogue for reduced ATT in the original text bank)
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby FfuzzyLogik » Tue Feb 19 2019 11:40pm

Thanks alot Siel but I was giving ideas, hoping they are of use to you !
I'm actually working on stats and graphics, soonly I'll work on spells equilibration and items. I hope to advance on end of the week on that... As usual its time consuming...
Someone knows where we can buy time ?
Just an idea if you wish use text "existing" you can use attack's one maybe and with "-" : "attack is increased by -25%" even if its not "increased" players shall know what it does easily. For my own use, its perfect even if text don't display the right sentences...
You made nice patches but are these ideas of use to you ?
May I do something for you ? If you need something I can with my very poor level...
Have good knight ! (It helps to sleep well, good protection :P)
FfuzzyLogik

Postby Siel » Fri Feb 22 2019 1:36am

Well, I'm not particularly looking for ideas for my own use, but I'll try to fulfill requests or suggestions as they come. Hopefully someone can make something out of these.

As for the message, the only thing manipulable without changing the actual text bank is the number being displayed, which doesn't include the ability to add a negative sign.

Also, good luck with your mod. I'm admittedly getting burnt out on Shining Force from replaying 1 and 2 so much, especially after making and repeatedly testing my own mods, but I do like to at least take a peek at whatever new comes in.
SF1CL v2.1.1
SF2CA v1.2.1
SF1CL v2.1.1
SF2CA v1.2.1
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby projectego » Thu May 09 2019 10:04am

Amazing work, Siel. Thank you very much for the variety in mods available. If I might make a request - perhaps a 'BuffDebuffStatusRedux' variant which includes all of the Status hit/accuracy modifications but none of the effect alterations? I quite like how the effects behave by default, but feel Sega's original success rates are far, far too low.

Still - incredible work.
SFMods.com: A community for mod authors to share graphical assets and resources for use with modding Shining Force and Shining Force II.

(Romans 12:1-2)
SFMods.com: A community for mod authors to share graphical assets and resources for use with modding Shining Force and Shining Force II.

projectego

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Siel » Thu May 09 2019 10:37pm

Here you go: a variant with only status spell accuracy increased. Desoul and Sleep retain their debilitating vanilla effects, so I left their success rates unchanged.

Ailment Spell Accuracy Up

Success rate changes:
WARNING: SPOILER!

I ended up setting the rates a bit differently from the original patch and I also made SLOW/BOOST/ATTACK reset their duration instead of failing when they're already applied.

If you'd instead like a version without the latter change or with again different success rates, feel free to request it, or you can further edit this patch's values yourself with a hex editor like this:

edit: made it clearer that the above guide is based on the patch instead of vanilla

For the base game instead, here's another guide:
Last edited by Siel on Mon May 13 2019 2:17am, edited 2 times in total.
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby projectego » Fri May 10 2019 10:43am

Thank you very much for the custom patch, and for explaining how to further customise the associated values, Siel. I'm also very grateful for the additional duration reset tweak - very handy, indeed.

I'm very keen to utilise many of your patches; is it likely that any issues may arise upon applying the patches to a 4MB Caravan-expanded ROM?

projectego

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Siel » Fri May 10 2019 9:58pm

As far as I know, Cavaran-expanded ROMs just move data banks to more open space without really touching the base functionality, so there should be no issues. I've even been careful in making most of these patches intercompatible, with the obvious caveat that patches that edit the same thing or variants of each other will likely conflict (e.g. Gisarme1HP & GisarmeHalfHP, or the BuffDebuffStatusRedux family).

On a sidenote, I tried to implement a built-in on-button-hold fast-forward to speed up attack animations and/or enemy turns, which worked to some degree (the entire blabla's attack! XX damage! YY EXP! thing can end in under 2 seconds), but its effects extended beyond battles and caused other mess like lingering message boxes.
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Lord Kane » Sun May 12 2019 9:50pm

Siel wrote:

If you'd instead like a version without the latter change or with again different success rates, feel free to request it, or or you can edit them yourself with a hex editor like this:

I always wanted to get to know the real values of the success rates of these spells, so I'm very interested in this!! :excited:

Muddle 2, Desoul and Sleep work exactly as I assumed, that is really great! :)

If I understand right Dispel success rates are:

Right?

Can you tell me the rates of Muddle 1 and Slow in the same pattern, please? For Muddle 1 I didn't understand your description and for Slow I understood:

what doesn't match my experiences since for me
Lord Kane

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Siel » Mon May 13 2019 1:28am

Oh yeah, I took a look at Slow again and there's an exception at 0 resistance, in which it skips ahead in the calculation and miss rate remains at 0%. (miss rates spike up to 75%~100% against 1~3 resistance)

For Dispel and Muddle1, what I wrote there are actually the values used by my patch. In vanilla, the success rates for Dispel are 37.5%/25%/12.5%/0%. In Muddle1's case, it's just 37.5% regardless of resistance unless the target is already afflicted by Muddle2.

The way I explained my patch's Muddle1 might have been a bit unclear, so I'll try to reword it. First, failure rate is set to 100%. Then, if the target is not affected by Muddle2, the failure rate is reduced by 87.5% (this can be edited at the address I gave). This essentially just means to set the failure rate to 12.5% unless Muddle2 is in effect, in which case failure rate is set to 100%, but done backward. (It's the order vanilla did it in, so I just stuck with it to keep unnecessary data differences down.)

Also, I edited into my post another version of the guide based on vanilla SF2 instead of my patch.
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Lord Kane » Mon May 13 2019 1:22pm

Siel wrote:Oh yeah, I took a look at Slow again and there's an exception at 0 resistance, in which it skips ahead in the calculation and miss rate remains at 0%. (miss rates spike up to 75%~100% against 1~3 resistance)

For Dispel and Muddle1, what I wrote there are actually the values used by my patch. In vanilla, the success rates for Dispel are 37.5%/25%/12.5%/0%. In Muddle1's case, it's just 37.5% regardless of resistance unless the target is already afflicted by Muddle2.

Thank you very much! Now it's clear for me! :)
Lord Kane

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby projectego » Tue May 14 2019 12:59pm

Siel wrote:On a sidenote, I tried to implement a built-in on-button-hold fast-forward to speed up attack animations and/or enemy turns, which worked to some degree (the entire blabla's attack! XX damage! YY EXP! thing can end in under 2 seconds), but its effects extended beyond battles and caused other mess like lingering message boxes.

This sounds like a very worthwhile enhancement. Hopefully the message box issue won't be too difficult to circumvent.

I am not sure if you are still accepting patch suggestions, but I would like to throw a few ideas into the hat if possible:

- Have Bowie's status screen 'Defeat' count always read '0' - I find that I always Egress from a losing battle in order to retain an ostensibly flawless playthrough. A Force-wide hidden Defeat count would absolutely be a great alternative.

- With the 'DetoxRemovesMoreThings' patch, it would be great if an alternative were available which allowed level 1 Detox to utilise the added status curing properties of level 2 and greater. i.e.: Level 1 also clears Muddle, Silence, Sleep, etc.

- I thank you for your Counter Action mod for this idea, and while I realise that the SF Edit tool is partially able to accommodate this, it would be amazing to have the Taros Sword properly equipable for Heroes only, and viewable in-battle using the Broad Sword weapon sprite (presuming the Broad Sword is this sprite, anyway).

- If possible, it would be cool to see some other great additions from your Counter Action mod made into individual patches:
-- A fix for the ranged counter attacks not generating experience points.
-- Have Land Effect correctly display the correct value (I believe you mentioned on your mod page an issue regarding 10% and 20% being used in the wrong instances)

Hopefully there's one or two worth considering and/or feasible there. Thanks again for all of your hard work, Siel. Your patches and Counter Action mod have both been great sources of inspiration for me.

projectego

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Siel » Tue May 14 2019 10:13pm

I'm unfortunately giving up on the fast-forward feature for now since I can't figure out how to limit it to battle sequences or even how to slow it down a bit (as one would expect, 1 second is way too fast). It also causes some animation glitches and incompletely drawn message boxes.

Defeat Count Always Reads 0
This patch blanks out the defeat count on ally status screens and makes it always display 0.

Detox Removes More Things: From Level 1
This patch has the same contents as DetoxRemovesMoreThings, but with the effects in play starting from Detox1 instead of Detox2.

Taros Sword Looks Like Broad Sword
This patch gives the Broad Sword's weapon sprite to the Taros Sword when equipped in battle. Whether the Taros Sword can actually be equipped or not is left untouched.

Accurate Land Effect Display
This patch makes the Land Effect window accurately display 0%/10%/20%. The base game instead displays 15% and 30% despite damage taken only being reduced by 10% and 20%. Exception: Taros and Zeon stand on inaccessible tiles internally treated as 255. Battle-mechanically, damage taken is still only reduced by 20%, but this causes the display to become 25% (last two digits of 255*15) in vanilla or 50% (last two digits of 255*10) in this patch.

As for ranged counter EXP, it's actually one of the first few patches I made, but it's in another thread:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=43311

There are two options:
Ranged Counter Exp Fix
Ranged Counter Exp Fix v2
This patch returns the screen to the player character after performing a ranged counter attack to award EXP to them. A side effect is that just taking a ranged hit will also award 1 EXP (and taking an AoE spell only awards 1 EXP to the last targeted character).

No Ranged Screen Transition
This patch removes the screen transition mechanic during ranged attacks (i.e. everything defaults to melee range, like in SF1), which bypasses the ranged counter EXP bug.

Longer explanation:

edit: Apparently the first of the two options had some issue so I made a second version since posting that thread. I can see what I added, but I don't remember exactly why and it doesn't look like I documented the change.
edit2: I think it fixes the recipient of EXP awarded from ally-to-ally actions (i.e. healing), which the first version probably broke.

edit3: fixed Broad Taros patch and updated link
Last edited by Siel on Tue May 14 2019 11:38pm, edited 1 time in total.
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby projectego » Tue May 14 2019 10:50pm

Astonishing work, Siel! Thank you very much for your efforts in going above and beyond.

Very eager to respond in full when I'm back on my main PC, but I was wondering if it would be a straightforward edit to replace the Defeat count with a '?' instead of a zero? It was only after posting that it occurred to me that some enemies displayed this value, and it added to their mystique quite nicely.

Again - thanks so much for your work.

projectego

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Siel » Tue May 14 2019 11:05pm

Mystery Defeat Count
This patch makes even ally status screens display "?" as their defeat count.

edit: The Taros Sword patch had an issue: unarmed attackers would also be visibly holding a Broad Sword. I replaced the link with a fixed version where this doesn't happen.
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby projectego » Wed May 15 2019 12:30pm

Thank you again for your work, and for helping to breakdown the inner workings of the game. There's a lot of great resources shared in this thread and I am having a blast experimenting with the new and different mechanics introduced through your patches. I've tested several so far -- the last of which being the Taros weapon patch -- and they've worked flawlessly.

Rather than burden you with a minor alteration request - would it be possible to request whereabouts in the ROM in HxD I would need to edit in order to replace the current Broad Sword sprite with that of the Great Sword? I had completely neglected to notice this weapon sprite and am now thinking this might serve for a better Taros weapon sprite.

After tinkering for an hour or so, I think I've been able to determine that the edits must be made around here:

...but I seem to have managed to make everything other than the Great Sword appear in-battle. Curiously, it seemed like it was possible to utilise weapon sprites with palettes that were not originally intended for those specific sprites - although, I could be way off on that. Do you think it would be possible to use the Great Sword weapon sprite and utilise a more suitable green and grey colour palette? Something tells me I'm reaching a little too far with that.

projectego

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Siel » Wed May 15 2019 11:39pm

At 19DD5, if you change that 3E (broad sword) to 40 (great sword), you'll get the sprite and palette of a great sword when wielding the Taros Sword. As for easily adding new palettes and then changing just the palette setting, I'm at a bit of a loss. I'll poke around to see if there isn't a garbage palette that looks green.

old edit:

new edit: I figured out how to edit palette colors directly, so here's a new version that obsoletes the above.

Taros Sword Looks Like Green Great Sword v3.1

Colors can be further edited at 1BEE3C and 1BEE3D for the hilt and 1BEE3E and 1BEE3F for the blade, in the format of 0,R,G,B (0, 2, 4, 6, 8, A, C, or E as color levels). The weapon sprite ID can be edited at 1F9E2.

Disclaimer/caveat/explanation: This patch repurposes the leather glove's originally blank graphic data for the Taros Sword's sprite and palette info. Then, since weapon palettes 0 and 1 were identical anyway, it changes all weapons originally set to use palette 1 to use palette 0 and repurposes palette 1 for the Taros Sword's colors. The addresses given above are thus for palette 1 and the leather glove's data.
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby projectego » Sat May 18 2019 1:33am

Thanks so much for going above and beyond, Siel. The leather glove palette workaround is inspired! I'm really thrilled to see that the Taros Sword flourished so quickly.

projectego

Shining Member
Shining Member

PreviousNext

Return to Shining Force II