Team Shining Force II #18

PostPosted: Mon May 08 2017 2:28pm
by MXC
For this team game, we're going to play a normal game but add in some modifiers to make it more challenging. See the concept in the spoilers below.

:cookie: Battle 1: Granseal's Tower - greyskies
:cookie: Battle 2: To Yeel - zexxar
:cookie: Battle 3: To Hawel's House - MXC
:cookie: Battle 4: Outside Hawel's House - Drakonis
:...: Battle 5: Galam Castle - Antman
:cookie: Battle 6: Escape to Granseal - Simpelicity
:cookie: Battle 7: Granseal's Tower 2 - Drakonis
:cookie: Battle 8: North Cliff - greyskies
:cookie: Battle 9: Ribble - zexxar
:cookie: Battle 10: East of Ribble - Antman
:cookie: Battle 11: Hobgoblin's Cave - Noma
:cookie: Battle 12: Bedoe - Simpelicity
:cookie: Battle 13: Polca - Drakonis
:cookie: Battle 14: Desert East Of Hassan - MXC
:cookie: Battle 15: Shrine Near Ribble - zexxar
:cookie: Battle 16: Kraken - MXC
:cookie: Battle 17: Desert Before Taros - Simpelicity
:damnit: Battle 18: Taros - Antman
:cookie: Battle 19: To Harpy Pool - greyskies
:cookie: Battle 20: Harpy Pool - Drakonis
:cookie: Battle 21: Devil's Tail - Antman
:cookie: Battle 22: Chessboard - Simpelicity MXC
:cookie: Battle 23: Willard - MXC
:cookie: Battle 24: North Cliff 2 - MXC
:...: Battle 25: Tunnel to the North - Antman
:cookie: Battle 26: Outside Ketto - Simpelicity greyskies
:cookie: Battle 27: To Tristan - zexxar
:cookie: Battle 28: Pangoat Bridge - greyskies
:cookie: Battle 29: Outside Mitula's Shrine - MXC
:cookie: Battle 30: Zalbard - Drakonis
:cookie: Battle 31: In Pacalon - Drakonis
:drunk: Battle 32: Jar Battle - Antman
:...: Battle 33: Moun - zexxar
:cookie: Battle 34: Cameela - zexxar
:blush: Battle 35: To Roft - greyskies
:cookie: Battle 36: Prism Flowers - greyskies
:cookie: Battle 37: Red Baron - Drakonis
:damnit: Battle 38: Geshp - Antman
:cookie: Battle 39: Near Granseal Tower - Simpelicity MXC
:cookie: Battle 40: Odd Eye - greyskies
:cookie: Battle 41: Climbing Tower - Drakonis
:...: Battle 42: King Galam - zexxar
:cookie: Battle 43: Zeon - Simpelicity MXC
:thumbsup: Battle 44: Secret Battle - Antman

Members:

MXC
Stordarth
zexxar
Drakonis
Simpelicity
Antman
greyskies
Noma

Rules:

Permanent Death
No Blacksmith
Pick Randolf/Eric
No Healing Items
Only One of Each Class Tree
Only Special Promotions
Skip Characters
No Item Repairing

Usable Characters:

Bowie
Sarah MMNK
Chester / Eric PGNT
Jaha/ Randolf BRN
Kazin SORC
Slade
Peter
Gerhalt
Luke
Elric / Janet/ Rohde BRGN
Lemon

WARNING: SPOILER!

Re: Team Shining Force II #18

PostPosted: Mon May 08 2017 8:08pm
by Drakonis
"Pick Randolf/Eric"
Ooooh nooo, get another Warrior who are allways good or the best Knight in the game.
Such a challenge :p

But for realsies:
I vote pro 'Super' and pro 'No Repair'
Feel free to pile on anything else of your liking.
I wanna deck Zalbard in the snozz, unless Stor objects.
In which case, I'll take Taros instead.

PostPosted: Mon May 08 2017 8:29pm
by MXC
Oh nice, I'll add the repair challenge to the pool. But seriously, we always take Tyrin or Karna so Randolf or Eric might suck :shifty: I will add "No Creed's" though ;)

PostPosted: Mon May 08 2017 11:37pm
by Stordarth
I have no objections, as I simply don't have time to partake in this one.

BUT I HAVE A GOOD IDEA! HOW ABOUT WE PLAY NO REVIVES AND NO WEAPONS?!?!?!? WON'T THAT BE FUN?!?!?!

:stare:

PostPosted: Tue May 09 2017 1:58am
by Simpelicity
Perma death and skip characters would be a deadly combo. Should they exclude each other?

I would change the "No healing items" to "No in-combat use command". In-combat because banning it outside would make the game unbeatable, yes? :excited:

I'm sure I'll regret this... but I'll pick Chess. Bring it!

PostPosted: Tue May 09 2017 2:08am
by MXC
Stor - Maybe next time. For both points.

Simp - They may exclude each other, especially if we land on Super as well. I'll have to weigh it, if it happens though. I think I'll add "using" weapons and accessories as a separate option.

Also, I'm taking the Secret Final Battle so it actually gets done on time *coughDrakoniscough* ;)

Waiting to hear from zexxar, Antman, and ehow or anyone else that stumbles in here. Not sure if ehow checks into SFC anymore though so we'll see.

PostPosted: Tue May 09 2017 6:28am
by zexxar
I'm naturally in. And Stor already mentioned the best challenge :lol:

I take Cameela again and I think we should definitely use 'Super' and 'No Healing Items' and 'only one of each class' + 2-5 others which I can't decide on right now. :D

PostPosted: Tue May 09 2017 4:55pm
by MXC
Okay guys, I did some randomization and came up with a few combos to pick from. A few had some of the picks negated so a couple will be shorter. I'll post them in order of what I consider the most difficult. We'll have a vote for fun ;)

I'm going to spoiler each option. Included will be the challenges added and the cast selection at the end of the game.

Option #1

Option #2

Option #3

Option #4

Option #5

Option #6

Some of these combinations are a real bitch. I hadn't initially intended on using some of the challenges in the way that I did (eliminating characters that join promoted based on their class being "special" or not), but this is more fun! I do believe I have all of the skippable characters taken out / left in correctly but if someone sees an error, let me know.

So go ahead and cast a vote for what you'd like and maybe we can get it down to half or less of these options. I'll say it right now though, we don't stand a chance with Option #1 unless we all cheat a lot :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 09 2017 4:59pm
by greyskies
I'd like to join in as well :)
If there are no objections, I hereby claim battle #35.

Also, if you're interested in more crazy suggestions for modifiers:

When casting a spell, it always has to be the maximum level available.

(Back when I was a kid I actually thought this was obligatory. I did not realize that it is possible to select the desired spell level until like the middle of the game... I remember being surprised how useless all the casters seemed to be. I guess I was not the sharpest knife in the drawer.)

PostPosted: Tue May 09 2017 5:02pm
by MXC
You know, I did the same thing as a kid but I believe it wasn't until my second play-through that I figured it out. For some reason I still used Sarah MMNK though and Taya with a Freeze Staff :lol: Glad to have a fresh face for the Team Game!

PostPosted: Tue May 09 2017 5:16pm
by greyskies
Hah, I'm glad I wasn't the only one :)
I feel we should comfort ourselves with the thought that back in the olden days most games weren't as complex as SF2, so it was an understandable oversight :)

Interesting "challenge packs" you have created, thanks for your efforts. (I saw your post right after I wrote mine.) I'm curious what we'll end up with - and whether I'll regret picking a late battle considering the looming permadeath.

PostPosted: Tue May 09 2017 5:19pm
by MXC
I did all of this via a random number generator and ranking in excel and it spit out a good range, actually. There was a lot of being stuck with Luke and Skreech though, which is unfortunate. Is there an option or two that you'd like to vote for? I guess we'll limit it to two per person and go from there :)

PostPosted: Tue May 09 2017 6:07pm
by Drakonis
I'd like menu #2, por favor.
All the others don't sit right with me because of heavy promo limitations
If I wanted that, I'd play classic FE.
HEEEYOOOOO!

PostPosted: Tue May 09 2017 9:47pm
by greyskies
Seconded, #2 sounds good!
Confession time: I actually like the birdmen and usually end up having one in my final party, so I feel totally prepared already

PostPosted: Tue May 09 2017 9:58pm
by Antman 537
I'm for option 3 or 6, pref 3. Permanent death sounds like loads of fun to play around with, but I want master monks, dangit! :damnit:
As for a battle, hmmmz. Galam castle is fun. I'll take that.

PostPosted: Tue May 09 2017 11:24pm
by MXC
3 or 4 for me :)

I'll let zexxar and Simp respond and give ehow another day. He hasn't posted in a long time though so I won't wait for him.

PostPosted: Wed May 10 2017 2:28am
by Simpelicity
5 or 6 for me.
5's "no repairing" and "no using items" is a bit silly though. I'd replace no repairing with cursed items forced. We don't get mithril weapons anyway, might as well lol

PostPosted: Wed May 10 2017 6:46am
by zexxar
I also prefer 3 or 4.

Idon't like 1 or 2 because although we get the cursed items pretty late in the game there is nothing more annoying that those weapons screwing up your tactic.

PostPosted: Wed May 10 2017 12:49pm
by MXC
Well we're all nice and divided :lol: Half did pick #3 though so if there are no objections, we'll go with that. We still have a bit of time to discuss though and can get the game started. I've randomized the rest of the battles after having each of us with a battle in the first 6 and last 6 of the game. This was completely randomized otherwise so there might be some large gaps between battles though mine are probably the largest. Incidentally, everyone but Antman will have a back-to-back battle at some point.

As always, feel free to trade battles with someone. For example, if anyone wants Kraken, let me know :shifty:

greyskies - Feel free to name Bowie how you see fit. I'm not sure how familiar you are with Team games but simply create a savestate as you finish the battle you've been tasked with. You are responsible for getting items and members (in accordance with the challenge) before your battle starts. Please use Gens+ and make sure savestates are not compressed. A short report after each battle detailing if anyone died and if any item is damaged is all we need. If you have any other questions, let me know.

If we stick with #3, everyone remember to skip Kiwi, May, Rick, Taya, Skreech, Jaro, Sheela, Zynk, Claude, and Chaz. Some of those are a bit complicated to skip so if we accidentally recruit them, kill them off or shove them in the caravan. We should definitely take Eric from Creed's too since Jaha actually is better or equal to Randolf as a Baron and because Chester is a terrible PGNT. No point in giving Janet the Silver Tank either :shifty:

PostPosted: Thu May 11 2017 6:26pm
by Drakonis
Let me sum up
No Repairing
Permadeath
heavily limited promotion
stupid character recruitment rules

This IS classic FE, isn't it?
Better put my tactician pants on and carry this through.

PostPosted: Thu May 11 2017 6:39pm
by MXC
At least we're not playing on super :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 11 2017 7:34pm
by greyskies
MXC wrote:greyskies - Feel free to name Bowie how you see fit. I'm not sure how familiar you are with Team games but simply create a savestate as you finish the battle you've been tasked with. You are responsible for getting items and members (in accordance with the challenge) before your battle starts. Please use Gens+ and make sure savestates are not compressed. A short report after each battle detailing if anyone died and if any item is damaged is all we need. If you have any other questions, let me know.

Thanks for the info :) So... is this already the official starting signal? I'm good to go?

PostPosted: Thu May 11 2017 7:52pm
by MXC
Yep! Just make sure not to select Super and either upload the savestate to SFC or your host of choice. :)

PostPosted: Thu May 11 2017 9:09pm
by zexxar
Drakonis wrote:Let me sum up
No Repairing
Permadeath
heavily limited promotion
stupid character recruitment rules

This IS classic FE, isn't it?
Better put my tactician pants on and carry this through.

Why do you need your tactician pants already? :lol:

We don't play on super but on normal so everything will be a cakewalk, I can even do all my battles single handedly (not that this would be any problem at all because it's turn based anyway :lol: . Also we had already much worse conditions to start with I just say unarmed, no revive and the worst of all ... kcid in our team ;)

Also I forgot to add my challenge that I once suggested.

zexxar wrote:
Challenge suggestion:
-SUPER
-No items
-No magic
-No equipment
-No unarmed character
-And no revive
-kcid has to join so that he can kill of half of our party at some point (if we manage to keep them alive somehow)

:lol:

That would have been a killer challenge :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 12 2017 12:52am
by Noma
You guys will smash this on normal even with those rules. Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri May 12 2017 1:28am
by MXC
Do you want in, Noma? I can give you a few battles.

PostPosted: Fri May 12 2017 3:23am
by Simpelicity
question : what do we do if peter or lemon die? We just sub them out or do we accept that they don't perma-die?

PostPosted: Fri May 12 2017 5:48am
by zexxar
We just don't let them die ... problem solved ;)

PostPosted: Fri May 12 2017 10:55am
by Noma
MXC wrote:Do you want in, Noma? I can give you a few battles.

If I'm not stepping on anyone's toes. Otherwise you can maybe put me as an alt if you'd like.

I would assume for Lemon and Peter you just caravan them if they die.

PostPosted: Fri May 12 2017 1:10pm
by MXC
Peter and Lemon will go into the caravan. If Peter AI dies, he can come back.

PostPosted: Fri May 12 2017 1:13pm
by greyskies
Just finished the first battle. Unfortunately, we lost Sarah, so we'll have to do with a healer for the rest of the game :(

... just kidding. Everything went smoothly. Hugged the 30% land effect crack on the right side as I always do, realized the Gizmos do only 2 damage, moved on to the center. Throughout the whole fight not even one of them dodged an attack, which as far as I remember never happened to me before oO
All in all, nobody broke a sweat.

Sending zexxar the save and the game files now.

@ Noma: If you like, I'd give you my Hobgoblin battle and/or #19?

PostPosted: Fri May 12 2017 1:22pm
by MXC
greyskies, if it's easier you can also post the state in your post :)

Glad to see nobody died ;)

PostPosted: Fri May 12 2017 1:24pm
by Noma
greyskies wrote:Just finished the first battle. Unfortunately, we lost Sarah, so we'll have to do with a healer for the rest of the game :(

I believed you. I don't know why, but for a second I was like 'Wait, really!?'

I don't mind what battles I get. If you don't want it, I'll take it. MXC can put me in for whatever though too, it doesn't matter to me.

Whichever one you want least I can take :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri May 12 2017 1:27pm
by MXC
If anyone else wants to donate, please feel free :)

PostPosted: Fri May 12 2017 1:37pm
by greyskies
Noma wrote:I believed you. I don't know why, but for a second I was like 'Wait, really!?'

Certainly would've made for an... interesting Playthrough :)

Noma wrote:I don't mind what battles I get. If you don't want it, I'll take it. MXC can put me in for whatever though too, it doesn't matter to me.

#19 and Hobgoblin are yours, then.
Although now that I think about it, I kind of feel bad for giving you the Hobgoblin Cave - it's one of those battles I don't enjoy playing because the AI-controlled Peter tends to do suicidal things, but since we're playing with permadeath "waving at him while watching him die" is presumably not the optimal strategy this time :D

PostPosted: Fri May 12 2017 5:13pm
by Antman 537
I can give Noma Devil's tail; I have 3 battles in pretty short succession there, so I can afford to give the middle one up.

PostPosted: Sat May 13 2017 7:27am
by zexxar
Thanks to greyskies, who already did the shopping all I had to was selling al the healing items because we don't need them.
I went to battle and damn was that easy I was prepared for the worst already, but after Chester got to level 2 he became my tank only taking 2 damage from attacks ... but he was also a dick becuase he is level 4 while the other ones are only level 2. Because he was doing double attacks when he was only supposed to weaken enemies and tha that he also stole a kill by counter attacking a Ooze that I weakened for Sarah also gave him more EXP than he was supposed to get :damnit: .

Anyway I saved immediately after the battle so be sure to pick up the healing water near the shrine.

P.S: I just remembered that I could also have sold the Mithril because were not allowed to use it anyway.

P.P.S: If Noma wants he can have my Moun battle ;)

PostPosted: Sat May 13 2017 5:19pm
by MXC
Time to begin!

Took Chester out of action for the first half of the battle so we could catch everyone else up. I did have to throw him into action when the bat was a turn away from killing Sarah and Bowie though. The rest of the battle was a breeze and I made sure to use up Sarah's last MP for a final heal, even though it was unnecessary otherwise. Fortunately, I was able to get everyone up to level 4 and Sarah learned Detox (yay!) I mean, Detox on our only healer might actually be a game saver at some point.

I picked up the healing seed in town but didn't get around to selling it. I did sell the mithril though ;)

See you guys in the desert ;)

PostPosted: Sun May 14 2017 12:01pm
by Drakonis
Easy peasy.
Got everyone up to level 5. Had to let Sarah stick the Archer to death to achieve that. Luckily there was no real risk of death this time around, so it wasn't much of a bother.

PostPosted: Tue May 16 2017 1:41am
by Antman 537
And so it begins! With permanent death looming over me, I played very cautiously. But Bowie died anyway. Man I suck at this :(

Round two! Yeah... :shifty:
Round three! I finally managed to avoid getting jumped by all three enemies. Jaha, Kazin, Bowie, and Chester lvled to 6. I'd forgotten how good the ai is at targeting weak characters. I opted to finish off the knight before things could get worse. The greatest challenge may have been letting me join the game, lol...

PostPosted: Tue May 16 2017 3:11am
by MXC
Quickly, move all of Antman's battles up!

PostPosted: Tue May 16 2017 3:30am
by Noma
A true hero of the ages...

PostPosted: Tue May 16 2017 7:20am
by zexxar
Maybe Antman will become our new kcid at some point :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 16 2017 8:20am
by greyskies
I hereby request a video documentation of the battle against Geshp when it comes to it :D

Though admittedly, battle #5 is the first one which is a bit tough in my opinion. If one gets stuck in the narrow passage, things might easily get ugly.

PostPosted: Tue May 16 2017 10:15am
by Noma
I mean, it's not like he died 3 times. Only 2 times.

Now watch, I'll gave over a bunch on hobgoblin somehow just because I'm busting balls.

PostPosted: Tue May 16 2017 10:33am
by greyskies
hahaha, you got me there

PostPosted: Tue May 16 2017 11:32am
by Noma
greyskies wrote:hahaha, you got me there

Nah, I wasn't messing with you, I was messing with Antman.

I agree, #5 can be tough if you get caught out of position at the beginning or if you move Bowie out too close to the knight and mage's range at the end. If he's a low level and the mage decides to use Blaze on him on top of getting hit by the knight he can get decimated even on normal.

PostPosted: Tue May 16 2017 11:50am
by greyskies
Noma wrote:Nah, I wasn't messing with you, I was messing with Antman.

I agree, #5 can be tough if you get caught out of position at the beginning or if you move Bowie out too close to the knight and mage's range at the end. If he's a low level and the mage decides to use Blaze on him on top of getting hit by the knight he can get decimated even on normal.

Well, considering I chickened out of the Hobbo cave it would've been completely justified :D

The thing I find most dangerous about it is that there's a lot of ranged enemies (Archer, Knight, Mage) while the player has only Kazin and Chester... so if you get caught in a bad position they can bombard your guys while you can only hit them in melee. Then you pull back someone who is injured, and the next enemy just jumps into their spot and starts targeting your second row... when I'm playing on super or a hack I usually just hit Egress at the first sign of such a disaster happening.

PostPosted: Tue May 16 2017 12:09pm
by Noma
greyskies wrote:Well, considering I chickened out of the Hobbo cave it would've been completely justified :D

You didn't chicken out. If you don't like a battle, you don't like a battle. I don't really like either of the cave battles, but not necessarily the battle itself. Just the fact that you're visibility is limited. I know what the developer was going for by making it that way and I appreciate that, but at the same time once you've played the game a good few times, the circle of light bit starts to get old. That's one of the things I love about Stor's hack and others that make the whole cavern just visible like normal.

greyskies wrote:The thing I find most dangerous about it is that there's a lot of ranged enemies (Archer, Knight, Mage) while the player has only Kazin and Chester... so if you get caught in a bad position they can bombard your guys while you can only hit them in melee. Then you pull back someone who is injured, and the next enemy just jumps into their spot and starts targeting your second row... when I'm playing on super or a hack I usually just hit Egress at the first sign of such a disaster happening.

I tend to not move up my guys at all on a super run. I just let the room come my way. The enemy get the first hits in but it tends to disallow shenanigans in which I'm bottlenecked. Once that first room is empty with me having moved only when necessary and not letting myself get bottlenecked, then I move up to that narrow hallway and again I let them come to me there. I usually end up just fine, but you can get unlucky. A lot of the time the mages are dumb and attack, but you can have bad luck and they'll decide they always want to use blaze. Herbs can mitigate that well enough, but if you used a lot on the last two battles before that one you can get in some trouble because you don't have shop access for a little bit up until the end of this battle so. Sometimes you can get the short end of the stick if you're playing super and get screwed over in that battle, yeah.

PostPosted: Tue May 16 2017 4:08pm
by greyskies
Noma wrote:I don't really like either of the cave battles, but not necessarily the battle itself. Just the fact that you're visibility is limited. I know what the developer was going for by making it that way and I appreciate that, but at the same time once you've played the game a good few times, the circle of light bit starts to get old. That's one of the things I love about Stor's hack and others that make the whole cavern just visible like normal.

I agree. Although I would prefer a solution where the dark areas would instead be 50% black or something... though I doubt that this would be possible to do.
Just having normal visibility would seem a bit anti-atmospheric to me, although from a gameplay standpoint I'm sure it's better.

PostPosted: Wed May 17 2017 4:34am
by Simpelicity

Can I get a redo?

2 of my characters got turns, I started to make a wall for Slade (who is a complete weakling now, and starts OUT FRONT, ON 0% TERRAIN) but then the first galam knight took his turn, of course he attacked Slade, and of course he double attacked. And killed Slade. There was quite litterally nothing I could do to prevent that. FML.

PostPosted: Wed May 17 2017 1:19pm
by MXC
I have no idea what you're talking about ;)

PostPosted: Wed May 17 2017 1:24pm
by zexxar
One character less means more exp for the rest :lol:

But on topic, I personally wouldn't redo it if that is what happens then "Shit happens" because that is simply the danger of playing a perma death run, although I can understand your situation is really a 'FML' one. But double attacks or misses and other bad luck situations can always happen and screw you up. But maybe MXC can answer your question better since he is the teamcoordinator.

@MXC it would be nice to have the list of the characters also in the main post, so that we can always see how many are still left after we have some deaths here and there. :shifty:

PostPosted: Wed May 17 2017 1:40pm
by MXC
I'm willing to let this one slide because I'm familiar with the exact situation. And yeah, I'll post a list later. I've also decided to keep Kraken to make sure nobody dies ;)

PostPosted: Wed May 17 2017 3:10pm
by greyskies
It's really a matter of bad game design... it should never be possible for enemies to attack your guys in the first round (EDIT: if you haven't moved yet, I mean). I think putting the Galam Knight further back was one of the first things I changed, along with boosting low-level Slade... the amount of babysitting that is required to make him useful is just annoying.

Therefore, personal opinion: perfectly fine to do the time warp in such a situation :)

MXC wrote:I've also decided to keep Kraken to make sure nobody dies ;)

We'll hold you to that assertion :D

PostPosted: Wed May 17 2017 8:32pm
by MXC
I may even be able to kill every part of it too!

First post is updated with the usable characters.

PostPosted: Thu May 18 2017 9:16am
by Noma
MXC wrote:I may even be able to kill every part of it too!

First post is updated with the usable characters.

I've done it a few times, but I also had been letting myself Egress. Don't think I'd have been able to otherwise.

I know exactly what Simpelicity is talking about though. The one knight can bum rush you from pretty far away.

PostPosted: Thu May 18 2017 1:07pm
by MXC
I can usually get close on a Super run before I take out the head so if we don't lose anyone before then, I might be able to squeak by despite our limitations on healing items.

Is anyone opposed to making Elric the BRGN (and not Janet) and to taking Eric at Creed's so Chester isn't our PGNT?

PostPosted: Thu May 18 2017 1:58pm
by greyskies
MXC wrote:I can usually get close on a Super run before I take out the head so if we don't lose anyone before then, I might be able to squeak by despite our limitations on healing items.

Fought the Kraken just yesterday. I feel the tricky part is clearing the two legs and arms on the left side which more or less approach at the same time. Having an arm lurking in the second row, one square away from the raft, is just terrifying. But if you manage to deal with that on super, then normal is probably a breeze for you :)

MXC wrote:Is anyone opposed to making Elric the BRGN (and not Janet) and to taking Eric at Creed's so Chester isn't our PGNT?

Picking Eric at Creeds and making him the PGNT would've been my preferred choice as well. Considering the Elric/Janet decision, I'm fine with either.

PostPosted: Thu May 18 2017 2:02pm
by Noma
I'd say take Eric, yeah. I think Jaha is basically just as good as Randolf, isn't he? If Randolf is better than it's only slightly. I remember we all used to say all of Creed's were the best of their respective classes, but for some reason I remember a discussion saying Randolf wasn't as good as he was made out to be. Could be remembering incorrectly and I'm too lazy to look at the moment. In any case, I'm sure Eric is better than Chester by a much wider margin that Jaha/Randolf.

As for Elric, go for it. Janet isn't as good anyway. I'd give him one of the pimento/running ring though, if you hadn't already planned on it.

Any idea which characters we wanna give those to? I'd say Elric, and then either Jaha, Sarah, or Kazin. Jaha is likely your best bet, although he does have the 6 mov as a BRN, so maybe not, and probably Sarah since Kazin has a bit of range? I sometimes give one to Gerhalt so he can really mess people up, but I don't know how y'all would feel about that.

Also grey brings up a good point I keep forgetting, that we're playing on normal. You should be fine on Kraken, only the head and arms will really give you trouble, I think. Legs still are powerful but a lot less so.

PostPosted: Thu May 18 2017 2:29pm
by MXC
Chester was programmed poorly as a PGNT anyway, so the gap is even more than it should be. Randolf is technically worse than Jaha but depending on the game, it sometimes edges him out. They're pretty equal though.

I'd give Pimentos to Sarah so she's more mobile healing and Gerhalt (I usually boost his MOV too) so he can destroy some more. I'm probably for Elric getting the ring though because if he dies, we can give it to Rohde. I could also see Kazin, given that Elric has long range. Everyone else already either has 6 or 6 and flight.

PostPosted: Thu May 18 2017 2:45pm
by Noma
MXC wrote:Chester was programmed poorly as a PGNT anyway, so the gap is even more than it should be. Randolf is technically worse than Jaha but depending on the game, it sometimes edges him out. They're pretty equal though.

I'd give Pimentos to Sarah so she's more mobile healing and Gerhalt (I usually boost his MOV too) so he can destroy some more. I'm probably for Elric getting the ring though because if he dies, we can give it to Rohde. I could also see Kazin, given that Elric has long range. Everyone else already either has 6 or 6 and flight.

Makes sense. I think Kazin has an edge though even though Elric would have an extra space of range with the better arrows/shots, because doesn't BRGN have some problems with terrain that aren't as bad as what a mage would have? Or am I remembering incorrectly? In any case, I'm for pimentoing Sarah and Gerhalt. I pretty often give Gerhalt a pimento but I didnt realize it was something anyone else did, the fact that he has 5 mov as opposed to Zylos 7 in SF1 always really bothered me, and as a heavy hitter you really want him to be everywhere he can be.

Doesn't Chester lose out on like 10 defense or something stupid that was a programming mistake? Seem to remembering reading that.

PostPosted: Thu May 18 2017 2:52pm
by MXC
Brass Gunners do have more penalties than most classes with their 5 move. Gerhalt with 5 MOV isn't awful because he breezes around the map but I still like the added versatility.

Pegasus Knights are supposed to gain +5 DEF compared to Paladins, by the end of the game. This is done to compensate a bit for not having LE anymore. The programming error was that Chester ended up with -5 DEF as a Pegasus compared to a Paladin. That -10 swing is pretty big.

PostPosted: Thu May 18 2017 3:25pm
by greyskies
I feel that increased agility can for some characters net similar results to boosting their movement, as moving earlier > better position > better keeping up with the rest of the group. Gerhalt in particular seems to be a character who might profit from that.
I have no idea how commendable it would be to raise the MOV of BRGNs, though, since I barely ever use them.

PostPosted: Thu May 18 2017 6:15pm
by Noma
MXC wrote:Brass Gunners do have more penalties than most classes with their 5 move. Gerhalt with 5 MOV isn't awful because he breezes around the map but I still like the added versatility.

Pegasus Knights are supposed to gain +5 DEF compared to Paladins, by the end of the game. This is done to compensate a bit for not having LE anymore. The programming error was that Chester ended up with -5 DEF as a Pegasus compared to a Paladin. That -10 swing is pretty big.

Ah ok, that's where I got the ten less from. Makes sense. He's not a terrible Paladin though, right? I mean, he's the worst of them, but that doesn't make him generally awful, does it? I've never used Higins seriously, I know he's not a factor in this run, but is he better than Chester stat wise as a pally? If Chester is promoted at the appropriate level, I mean.

Grey, I've used them plenty and I always give them a pimento or the ring (usually the ring as I don't often carry them to the end, the one or two times I did with Rhode and Elric, I only did it because I HAD used the pimento on them and didn't want it to be wasted in taking them out), it's just been so long I didn't remember if they fair well or not on overworld terrain. If I recall they're fine except on hills? Brush and forest I think the idea is they just mow it all down like a tank so they don't lose movement there. But Snipers dont have problems on hills really if I remember right. Even if they do, they have 6 mov to compensate unlike the gunner's 5. I might enjoy having a gunner for a change, I can't tell you the last time I used one. Must have been over 10 years ago before I really looked into it and realized what the sniper was like. Years ago I always assumed that all the alternate promotions where automatically better than the normal ones, so I would never not use them.

PostPosted: Thu May 18 2017 7:07pm
by MXC
Chester isn't as bad as the birdmen or say, Janet, but he isn't much better. Higins gets about 4 more ATT and 3 more DEF, but misses out on 7 AGI. Agility has very limited appeal so I'd take Higins any day over Chester. Rick and Eric are both superior options though. I do like Chester as a Paladin a bit more than Jaro though (Chester has +3 HP, -3 ATT, +1 DEF, and the benefit of LE). Of course, everyone outclasses Chester PGNT.

Since you brought up SNIP vs. BRGN, I can tell you that gunners get +3 ATT, +18! DEF, -8 AGI, -1 MOV, worse move type. I'll gladly take that huge defense boost with the lack of mobility.

PostPosted: Fri May 19 2017 2:42am
by Simpelicity
Done!

The turn order was the same, but this time no double happened, so I was able to save Slade.

Killed off the knights, then force-fed every last enemy left to either Slade or Sarah. Slade got 5, and Sarah 2, I believe. So now everyone is level 7.

I almost lost Jaha. I should have. The last mage blazed Jaha once, getting him down to 6 HP, then the turn order was very unkind to me and the mage got his turn before I could either heal Jaha or kill it. He could've finished Jaha... but decided to use his stick instead. whew

Here's the save.

PostPosted: Fri May 19 2017 9:23am
by greyskies
MXC wrote:Since you brought up SNIP vs. BRGN, I can tell you that gunners get +3 ATT, +18! DEF, -8 AGI, -1 MOV, worse move type. I'll gladly take that huge defense boost with the lack of mobility.

Personally, I prefer the better range...

Simpelicity wrote:I almost lost Jaha. I should have. The last mage blazed Jaha once, getting him down to 6 HP, then the turn order was very unkind to me and the mage got his turn before I could either heal Jaha or kill it. He could've finished Jaha... but decided to use his stick instead. whew

These virtual double turns are the worst... glad the AI had a hiccup. It's only fair in such a situation.

PostPosted: Fri May 19 2017 12:36pm
by MXC
But they're gonna get hit ;)

I do expect to lose a few people due to turn order not allowing Sarah to get in there and heal.

PostPosted: Fri May 19 2017 3:27pm
by Simpelicity
I forgot to mention, but I'll be away from the 21st to the 27th. So don't rush to Bedoe too fast ;)

PostPosted: Sun May 21 2017 5:51pm
by Drakonis
This battle feels weird without Kiwi.

Everything went super smoothly, as expected, until the double turning allways dodging douchenozzles that are the Dark Smokes.
Despite them reaaaally wanting some of Chester's bacon I was able to fend them off without loosing anyone though.

Prior to the battle I also took the time to sell all the healing junk from our inventory.

Everyone is level 8 and RUNNING LIKE HELL FROM THE COLLAPSING EVERYTHING
https://youtu.be/PGSMiVhZgn8

PostPosted: Mon May 22 2017 12:40pm
by greyskies
Just noticed that Kiwi is in the cutscene when everyone leaves the ship to go to North Cliff regardless of whether or not the player found him. So everybody was probably like "omg, what is this little turtle thing following us?!".

Anyhoo, the battle went well. The first witch got two turns in short succession which brought Chester down to 5 HP, but other than that no one was in any danger. Gotta say that for some reason the Goblins and Oozes thought it was a good idea to gang up on Jaha, so yeah, not the most intelligent opponents I faced.

Sarah did two guys in, it's kind of weird how much damage she does. I also realized right before I got to the witch that there is kind of no point in saving up her MP any longer, so I slowed the pace of the party to get some random heals in. Now everyone is level 9 or 10.

Saved right after the speech of Astral. So just one year has passed? Those guys from Granseal have got to be some of the most amazing carpenters that ever walked the earth.

Link to the save file: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9fzx ... Td6QzdpNkU

PostPosted: Tue May 23 2017 11:00am
by zexxar
I did the story part and after getting a big bird and lousy 100 Gold from the thrifty minister I picked up the Warriors Pride and went to the weapon shop to get new weapons. Afterwards I immediately made my way to the next battle.

I tired to level everyone equally this time and I was quite successful everyone is level 10 or 11 even Peter who was always charging ahead or killing weakend enemies without permission to do so. But all in all the battle wasn't hard at all and I even provoked a Vamipre Bat to cast Blaze 2 on several cahracters, just that I can heal a bit more with Sarah. But it's good that Sarah knows Detox because the first Vampire Bat poisoned Jaha which would have been a bit annoying if I couldn't have cured that. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed May 24 2017 4:25am
by Antman 537
Loaded the game, wandered around aimlessly trying to remember where the next battle was. Accidentally recruited Mae. reloaded. Think I found the right battle. :shifty:

After my last bout, I played super carefully. Inched forward until the goblins got too close for comfort, then pounced on the archer goblin. Jaha lvled to 11! Slade, Chester, Peter, and Bowie lvled to 12! Peter derped around and did nothing. At least he lured a bat out. Chester got the power ring! Saved right after the battle. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed May 24 2017 2:14pm
by MXC
:shock: :cookie:

PostPosted: Wed May 24 2017 3:01pm
by Antman 537
Ah, delicious cookies.

PostPosted: Sun May 28 2017 4:43pm
by Simpelicity
I'm back btw, you don't have to take your time getting to Bedoe anymore :P

PostPosted: Mon May 29 2017 5:45pm
by Noma
Sorry been away, I'll do this today.

PostPosted: Mon May 29 2017 6:08pm
by MXC
Fill'r'd

PostPosted: Wed May 31 2017 1:26am
by Noma
Ok so I finally did this, was supposed to do it yesterday but something came up.

Anyway, I ran back to the shop and realized I had to choose someone for the Power Ring. I noticed Slade's attack was really low, but it was because whoever hit Ribble shop didnt buy him a new weapon, so I did that really quick. His attack is still sorta low so I gave him the ring anyway. If anyone wants to give it to someone else after, feel free. I also grabbed the Bright Honey from Ribble.

So the battle was fine, a bat caught me off guard and roasted a good portion of the group at one point, but other than that no one came close to dying. I made sure to get Sarah some hits in and used all her MP so she just barely reached level 13. Everyone is 13 but Peter and Jaha, but they can stand to be a little behind. Nothing else major to report.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03 2017 2:49am
by Simpelicity
Done.

Nothing much to report. I essentially blitzed this. Took no losses and was over in a breeze. Everyone is either 13 or 14. Sarah might deserve a bit more attention next time though.

Oh, and I couldn't kill everyone. AI Peter killed the archer before I could kill his accompanying monk.

Here's the save.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03 2017 3:05am
by MXC
I've finally gotten to the point (a few years ago actually) where I actually have to let AI Peter get some kills. He catches up quickly regardless though.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07 2017 5:52pm
by Drakonis
Started off by buying another Long Sword since I faintly remember that Luke will join with a Middle Sword for some weird reason. Keep that in mind.
Also bought some new arms for the rest of the force, as well.
Snagged the Quick Ring out of it's vase.
Talked to a god.
Got some groceries.
Then it was on to battle!

Polca is allways a bit tricky because the map naturally tries to draw you into the middle where all the enemies are. Took it nice and slow this time. Chester, Bowie and Slade where poisoned early, but thankfully, Sarah was able to keep everyone up nice and save.

Everyone is about level 14/15.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07 2017 6:19pm
by MXC
I navigated the raft to be close to the shrine before running off to the desert. I was thrown off for a second by the lack of characters but then remembered the challenges ;)

Survived the opening onslaught (if you can call moving 2 squares at a time as an onslaught), but had a near-disaster when Slade was dropped to 1HP. Had a minor freak out when he was attacked by a Golem and the tell-tale double movement had me worried he was going to get attacked again (and dying) but he countered and leveled up instead :)

Luke's turn order has given him 3 conveniently-executed kills to get his level up pretty quickly.

Took a brief break from the action to let Sarah heal (she's running behind on exp) before heading toward the last two groups.

Was able to actually set up a kill for Sarah. That should help a bit. Ended up setting another one up for her too.

Finally, I let the Evil Cloud beat on Jaha (why it went for him, I'm not sure) so I could get Sarah yet another kill.

This battle is a ton easier off of Super difficulty. Seriously, enemies weren't even reducing my casters to half HP on an attack. Everyone is now at level 16, Sarah learned Blast 2, and Luke still has the Middle Sword because I'm lazy.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08 2017 9:09am
by zexxar
I started by getting the Steel Sword and handing it over to Luke so that he can hit a bit harder. Afterwards Egressed and sold Luke's old swords beside that nothing else was done and I jumped immediately into battle.

Somehow the turnorder was very nice to me because I could finish of the first 4 enemies without taking any damage because always rushed or outsmarted (the Arrow Launcher) so that by the time they would have gotten their next turn they were already dead. Because some already reached level 17 I started to liberately tke damage just to be able to level everyone equally and get some work for Sarah.

I managed my aim very good. After cleaning the whole right side, including the Gargoyl from the top who fly all the to the right stairs to attack Peter and shortly afterwards being impaled by a spear, Everyone except for Jaha and Bowie and Sarah were already level 17. So now I waited even more for the right people to get their turn but since everyone easily survives at least 2 Hit (unlike in super) that was no problem and Sarah ended up getting a lot more EXP near the end thansk to using all the MP and killing 2 enemies. Eventually I finished the battle and achieved my goal.

tl;dr Luke has the Steel Sword, no deaths everyone is level 17 and Sarah is the EXP leader with only 2Exp to level 18

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08 2017 1:44pm
by MXC
I pillaged the Power Water and headed back to Ribble to get the Achilles Sword for Bowie, selling his Long Sword. My plan for the Kraken battle is to kill everything and hope it isn't nearly as bad since we're not on Super.

The RNG tried to kill Jaha by letting a leg, an arm, and the same leg attack him before he could get out. Fortunately, he dodge the first leg attack and made it out with 2HP.

Kazin learned Desoul.

Fortunately, with so few characters, I'm able to run everyone to the left of the raft to finish off the straggling legs before the last arm and head can come join in. This is normally possible, even with a full group, but it can be a bit of a pain to get everyone to safety.

Everyone is level 18 except Chester (19) and Jaha (17, 90 exp).

Also, who knew there was a soul in your head?
Untitled.png

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09 2017 7:46am
by zexxar
I never knew that you can desoul the Kraken Head :shock: I always thought it is immune to that because the Kraken head is a boss (even though it doesn't appear in the Boss Battle) and therefore I never even tried to do that.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09 2017 12:33pm
by MXC
When it happened, I was actually just screwing around. I had Kazin cast it because I was going to let someone else kill the head but it actually worked :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10 2017 9:46pm
by Simpelicity
Done!

Nothing much happened. Rohde joined us because he smelled an opportunity. I got and sold the 2 mithrils of the town. Then bought new weapons.

Characters are either 20 or 19, so some promotions are due.

Here's the save.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10 2017 10:34pm
by MXC
Wonderful :)

Antman, remember to promote anyone you can and that if Jaha is 20, he should promote to a Baron. Everyone else will have to wait until we can get their items.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11 2017 9:57pm
by Simpelicity
Except Chester. Eric is our PGNT. Chester can promote right away.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11 2017 10:11pm
by MXC
Then he'd be a Paladin and thus unusable ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15 2017 10:43pm
by Antman 537
Been a busy week. Not sure if I'll get to this before sat, but I should have time then for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15 2017 11:06pm
by MXC
It's all good.... as long as nobody dies ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16 2017 1:44am
by Antman 537
Got to it sooner than I thought!

Off to that desert town~
Promoted Slade to Ninja and Luke to... BDBT? I'm assuming that those qualify as special classes?
It's been a long while since I did this mission, so I my first concern is that I don't remember much of what the monsters do. Think soulsowers got a special desoul sometimes? something like that. :shifty:
I cut to the left to deal with the handful of monsters there while the others caught up, using the ruin cover to my advantage. Discovered someone left Bowie stunned after the last fight. And that Slade looses his weapon when he's promoted :(
Peter, Sarah, and Bowie lvled to 20!
Gerhalt lvled to 21 because he's a boss.
Kazin dropped to 1hp because an arrow launcher dodged, but he pulled through.
Bowied leads the charge against Taros! Taros counter attacks. Taros goes next and uses bolt! Then taros... goes again and kills Bowie. :( Man, that bolt spell does so much damage; I'm not sure how I'm going to deal with it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16 2017 2:04am
by Simpelicity
My usual strategy wouldn't work here, because my usual strategy involves a few losses.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16 2017 2:16am
by MXC
You just have to let Taros go twice quickly, run Bowie up there and run him back when he gets damaged. Heal him and send him back up. If you can't pull it off, let me know and I can give it a whirl.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20 2017 12:21am
by Antman 537
Round two! Cured Bowie. Leveled Slade/Luke again. Bought Slade a weapon. Also bought a spear for Chester; I appreciate being able to use him for long or short range.

To battle! The plan is to follow the same strategy as last time, but hopefully with a few more extra heals at the end. But Sarah died anyways. I am always caught off guard by how critical turn order is. :damnit: Fortunately for us, the battle proved pretty impossible without someone to heal Bowie.

Round three!
Things I learned this playthrough: Taros can target over the wall he's next to with Bolt. Bowie died again. :damnit:

Round four....... :(
The hardest part this time was waiting around for the last two enemies to run across the map, so I didn't have to deal with them and Taros at the same time. That, and I had to cycle people out as they got wounded, so I could save Sarah's healing for Bowie.
Peter died; I thought he was out of the area of Taros' bolt, but he wasn't. And Tauros took the opportunity to take two turns in a row and kill him. Deep down, I suspected I'd be the first one to get a party member killed. :(
Gerhalt, Sarah, and Bowie lvled to 20! Chester lvled to 21!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20 2017 12:58am
by MXC
Well, things are about to get interesting without Peter :lol: Make sure he goes into the Caravan, Noma :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21 2017 9:04am
by zexxar
Losing someone isn't going to be much of a problem unless it's Sarah, because losing her would mean no healing for the rest of the game and that would be very bad.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21 2017 12:48pm
by Simpelicity
Wait, how does one skip Frayja? Is he not obligatory to get to Moun?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21 2017 1:39pm
by MXC
He's a Vicar.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24 2017 3:23am
by Simpelicity
Ah... So we're keeping Chester unpromoted forever then? Because we're forbidden from making him a paladin and we're making someone else the pegasus.

That rule is weird. Initially I thought it was just gonna force us to choose the special promotion for characters we promote.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24 2017 6:49am
by zexxar
Don't forget that we also have the rule "Only One of Each Class Tree" so it would be impossible to have Eric AND Chester in our group together no matter which promotion they get.

And I think we decided beforehand that Eric will become our pegasus (unless someone manages to kill him off before we get the wings :shifty: ). That combined with the "Only special Promotions) is the reason why Chester can't be promoted and will later be replaced.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28 2017 4:04pm
by MXC
zexxar has it right. The first post also lists out the characters we can use. I'll strike them out as they die :)

Noma has Noma'd so this battle can go back to the original owner ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28 2017 9:58pm
by Noma
Sorry, slipped my mind. Yes, I Noma'd. I can do it today if whoever originally had it hasn't done yet.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28 2017 11:01pm
by MXC
I'm sure they haven't. Go ahead, you little scamp!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06 2017 8:08pm
by Simpelicity
Well now. I suppose it's back to the original owner again? Who was it?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06 2017 8:47pm
by MXC
Yep. Not sure who had it though.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07 2017 8:51am
by zexxar
greyskies wrote:@ Noma: If you like, I'd give you my Hobgoblin battle and/or #19?

I guess this solves the question about the original owner ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07 2017 11:14am
by greyskies
Did someone say it was my turn?

Went back to Hassan, promoted a few guys and got new gear for everyone, ready for battle!
... the wilderness battle outside of Hassan triggered. Begrudgingly waited until it was Bowie's turn, egressed, once again got caught up in the battle. Reloaded the savestate because I wasn't sure if the game would now always trigger the battle, did the whole busywork again.

When I started battle #19 I was a bit worried that without Peter I would be lacking firepower against the Orcs, but after the Soulsowers went down in two or three hits I realized that this was going to be a cakewalk. At some point I started throwing out random heals with Sarah, and split up the party to get the Gargoyle in the upper left. She still finished with almost half of her MP left, so I wasted some XP there.
My overconfidence was punished toward the end of the battle, when one Orc took a very early turn and brought Sarah down to 5 HP thanks to a heavy attack, other than that no one dropped below 50% health.
Gerhalt was the MVP of the game, he countered almost every time he got hit and also did a second attack.

Afterwards I promoted Sarah and Kazin. We've got a fully promoted roster now, with the exception of Chester. By the way, what is to be done with him? Is he simply going to stick around for as long as he's useful / until he dies?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07 2017 12:39pm
by MXC
Yeah, we can have Chester hang out until he dies. Good work. The Harpy Pool might get interesting without Peter.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19 2017 1:20pm
by Simpelicity
This thing is falling asleep.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19 2017 1:29pm
by MXC
I sent Drak a message yesterday

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19 2017 8:15pm
by Drakonis
Derp. Didn't check this thread for a few days. Will take care of this tonight.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19 2017 8:39pm
by MXC
I even forgot we lost Peter. Good luck with that :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19 2017 8:54pm
by Drakonis
Phew. Good ol' Harpy Pond.
Things started out horribly with Slade getting clawed in the face and feeling faint from poison.
Luckily, I was able to hold off the first onslought without anyone dying, even if there where a few close calls.
Chester actually keeps holding his own for now. He also wins a medal for surviving an attack with 1 HP in the latter half of the battle and holding on to it until the end, where I was able to give him a savety Heal 1 with Sarah's last MP. I opted to kill the Arrow Launcher with her the turn before because it would otherwise have shot at the poor Knight.

Also shoutouts to Kazin for being the Harpy killing machine with Dao.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19 2017 10:17pm
by MXC
I'll give Noma 2 days to see that it is his turn. Otherwise, the original owner gets it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21 2017 5:26pm
by Antman 537
Guess it's mine then. I'll be out of town over the weekend, but I may have time to do it still.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21 2017 6:15pm
by Simpelicity
So Noma probably has 2 more days, hah.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26 2017 12:25am
by Antman 537
Elric joined the force! I forgot the healing drop, but I guess it doesn't matter much. To battle!

Man, I don't seem to do any damage to these guys. A skeleton hit Bowie for half his hp, a problem compounded when Sarah was silenced by a harpy before she could move to heal him. :shock: Fortunately, once the skeleton went down, it was easy enough to turtle up and beat down the orcs. The rest was pretty straightforward. Jaha almost died when the 2nd skeleton followed up the dark madam and left him at 1hp. But he got away. :thumbsup:

Slade and Kazin lvled to 3! Jaha lvled to 2! Sarah lvled to 4! Chester lvled to 23!

Turns out the 2nd skeleton was a boss monster, so the battle ended :shifty:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27 2017 9:41pm
by Simpelicity
Um.... soonish? Maybe during the weekend? Certainly not until then.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28 2017 12:49pm
by MXC
That would be a record pace for this game ;)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06 2017 10:00pm
by Simpelicity
Alright... I tried it a few times and it ended in blood.
More importantly... how to say this....
I didn't think I'd like the rules of the challenge. Tried it anyway. Ended up not liking it. And right now I just don't feel like even playing this. So I think I'll just bow out of this team game, instead of delaying everyone while I try to find some motivation somewhere.

I'm sorry. I hope y'all can bring it to the end though, and have fun doing it. It's just not for me.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07 2017 2:00pm
by MXC
No worries. I'll do this battle and see who wants the rest.

Chessboard synopsis:

Promoted Elric and bought him a new weapon. That extra range is sure to help. I went on in and started the battle, luring enemies to my defensive position, retreating, repeating. Slade learned Katon. I make it through half the board before needing to heal. Even then, it's just twice on Bowie and once on Jaha. Meanwhile, Jaha and Elric gain some nice defensive boosts. Chester is still really useful. I have a feeling I'll have to leave an enemy or two alive but I'm going to try to avoid it. Sarah learns Blast 3. I'm down to the King, two Queens, two Bishops, and a Pawn. Time to heal and deal with the rest. There's an annoying pattern at this point where the remaining enemies just switch positions over a few turns and repeat, meaning I can't lure them like I did the rest. Kazin learns Apollo. I actually was able to somewhat successfully lure down everyone else. I usually have the King sprint down ahead of 3-4 others, but he sat back. The King finally decides to join and only takes Jaha down to half health before he gets pummeled. It's amazing how much easier this is without it being on Super. Still, it required a ton of patience. Everyone is level 4 except Chester (24) and Sarah (5). Willard is next to die!

Willard synopsis:

This battle is a joke without the Super boost. Seriously, I only healed twice and that was because I figured we could use the exp.

North Cliff synopsis:

Much more to do now that I'm out of Creed's place. I added Eric to the team and shoved him in the Caravan to await his Pegasus Wing. Picked up the Running Ring and gave it to Gerhalt. Picked the Antidote from Creed's garden, grabbed the healing rain that I forgot about earlier, and grabbed the Mithril I ignored from the mountains. I also collected the stuff from the cave. Took the fairy to the dwarf and headed back to New Granseal. Bought new weapons for everyone and realized that a few characters had old old weapons. I also picked up the Cheerful Bread from the castle. You guys are slacking big time! I'm just glad Jaha has a sword and Kazin has a defense boost. Anyway, I sold all the healing items and Mithril, then shoved Janet into the Caravan. On to battle!

This one hit a lot harder and I actually had to use all of Sarah's MP. Other than that, not much of note happened. Everyone is level 6 or 7 (or 27 for Chester). No causalities in any of my battles, and no enemy left alive. Good luck in that cave, Antman ;)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10 2017 1:37pm
by greyskies
Just wanted to note that I'd happily assimilate one of Simpelicity's remaining battles :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10 2017 2:23pm
by MXC
Take your pick :)

Battle 26: Outside Ketto
Battle 39: Near Granseal Tower
Battle 43: Zeon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11 2017 5:02am
by Antman 537
Rhode joins the force, gets sideboarded for when Elric dies inevitably.

The plan is to use the cave's natural bottlenecks to pick off the enemies slowly. Things start out well enough. Bowie, Elric, and Luke lvled to 7! Then Luke died; the 2nd dark sniper moved 1 turn before Sarah and killed him :( So Sarah kicked the dark sniper in the face in stead, and lvled to 8! Kazin lvled to 7 and learned Neptun! Chester lvled to 28! Slade and Elric lvled to 8! At this point Sarah ran out of mp, which made things trickier. The last gargoyle died, he got off a blaze spell that killed Chester. :damnit: Mercifully, Bowie had the decency do die at this point. I'll give it another go tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11 2017 2:02pm
by MXC
If you're going to use the bottlenecks, make sure that Jaha is plugging them. Try not to move too fast either, so that you can take care of healing without being rushed.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12 2017 11:42am
by greyskies
I'm not too busy these next weeks, so I'd like to order a #26 :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14 2017 11:50pm
by Antman 537
Ok, finally time for round 2!

The biggest plus to this round is I'm finally getting a feel for how much healing to expect from each lvl of heal. Kain lvled to 7 and learned Neptun! Sarah, Gerhalt, Elric, Jaha, and Slade lvled to 8! Luke and Bowie lvled to 7! Chester lvled to 28! Discovered skeletons were weak to Dao. This battle the enemies liked to come in fast and furious; I wasn't able to make it to the bottleneck beforew the 2nd lesser demon flew down on me. As luck would have it, I was able to lure the last Lesser Demon out and kill him. Picked up a fairy tear. No deaths this time! :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15 2017 2:49am
by MXC
Wooo go Antman!

Now let's see if we can make it back to Grans without another loss. I have faith ;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15 2017 4:03am
by Simpelicity
The only real danger should be Zalbard. I'm sure Drakonis can handle it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16 2017 5:50pm
by greyskies
Just finished the Higins introduction battle. Good thing Geshp was leaving, he could have wrecked the party at this point in the story if he wasn't such a coward. Or is he riding into the sunset to kill some other heroes and gain some levels? We'll never know.

Stomped the enemies in the lower half of the map without any problems. Jaha and Elric had a bit of trouble keeping up with the rest of the guys. Chester did surprisingly well, he still does a bit of damage and can take a beating. Will he make it to the end? The tension grows.

When I reached the final group of mobs on the beach, I misjudged the distance and Kazin got axed in the face by the Lizard dude. Ouch! I had to scramble and put some bodies between him and the Gargoyle, which hadn't taken its turn yet. In the end, it had no choice but attack someone else, and decided it was going to be Jaha. Bad idea, as the dwarf did a crit counter, and Elric finished the job. I decided to kill the Lizardman next.
Oops! Seems he was the boss. Welp, onwards to Pacalon then!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16 2017 6:54pm
by MXC
Well done :)

Noma has the battle in Moun. Assuming he doesn't show up, who originally had that battle?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19 2017 12:35pm
by zexxar
I went to Pacalon and picked up the Pegasus Wing so that we can finally use Eric as Pegasus Knight. I kicked out Chester and Higins and then started the battle. The battle wasn't too hard because I advanced slowly but there were still some annoying attacks when I waited for Erics turn so that he can catch up a bit.

The most critical situation was when a Wyvern dodged an attack and attacked Sarah for a 34HP, but luckily she was at full health and survived it like everyone else.

Also Moun was originally my battle IIRC.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20 2017 3:49pm
by greyskies
The Pangoat Valley Bridge battle was interesting. I moved to the right first and got rid of the enemies which guarded the bridge head, then moved to the left again to kill the Wyverns and the Lesser Demon. I used Bowie to pull them, and due to a heavy attack he went as low as 9 HP + poison.

I stormed the bridge, then. I expected the worms to be no danger due to their low MOV, but I soon realized that our party isn't very mobile either. Elric in particular reminded me why I dislike BRGNs, he never seemed to be where he was needed in time. In the end, a few people got bitten by worms, but damage was not as bad as I feared.

I attempted not to kill the Wizard boss dude early as to collect some more XP, and Gerhalt, Luke, Kazin and Slade got rewarded with a Blaze 3 in the face for this decision. In order to avoid casualties I had Kazin bludgeon him to death, leaving one Lesser Demon to escape just punishment.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20 2017 8:07pm
by Simpelicity
Well, by this point the lesser demon was only worth anything to Eric anyway. Unless Eric is already caught up.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20 2017 9:01pm
by MXC
Bought new weapons for everyone and got to business. Goals for the battle are to get Eric to at least level 9 (from 6, even though he's basically level 9/10 anyway) and Gerhalt + Luke to level 11 (from 9).

Bowie learns Bolt 2 and nothing else of note really happens. Sarah is level 12, Eric is level 9, and everyone else is level 11. Remember that Eric does have the Chrome Lance but currently has the Javelin equipped.

Just realized Peter is still unpromoted, lol. Also just realized that was my last battle until the very end. Have fun everyone ;)

I think the back quarter of this will go quickly since I set up a lot of back-to-back battles. Everything cruises when you can fire off two battles in one sitting.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25 2017 7:16pm
by Drakonis
Beat Zalby. Stuff happened, people leveled up, I got lucky with his double turns and entourage and no one died.

Will try to get to the battle after that soon, but can't promise I'll do it today.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26 2017 2:48am
by MXC
Here's a filler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27 2017 7:33pm
by Drakonis
All done. Pacalon was a lot easier than old Uggoface.

Levels range from 12 to 14, with most people being at 13.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27 2017 10:46pm
by MXC
On to Antman :) We're doing great, guys ;)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01 2017 2:48am
by Antman 537
I knew I was in the right place when I found a character named Jar. I wonder if I can kill him before he joins.... :shifty:

As I guessed cerberus are weak to water! Then a pegesus knight hit luke for over half his health. He may not be long for this world. :eyebrow: Things got worse when a devil soldier and chimera rushed down to join them.

This battle, I tried the philosophy that it's better to prevent damage than heal it, but that didn't work. Slade got killed by a cerberus; it survived by one health and finished him off. :( Jaro got killed by another cerberus, conveniently enough. Eric got double attacked and killed by a mastermonk, of all things. Ugh.... And Luke died too, because the pegesus knight went twice before Sarah... At this juncture I began attempting to get Bowie killed. Bowmaster took two shots to kill kazin......

...it took pointedly moving everyone but Bowie out of the bowmaster's range, but I managed to get Bowie killed before finishing it. You're welcome. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01 2017 3:57am
by Simpelicity
It's pretty hard to stop pegasi and cerberi from dealing damage altogether.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01 2017 5:06am
by Antman 537
The big issue was that they really liked to attack in packs; I couldn't seem to lure them down separately.

EDIT: Round two! Knowing I was in for a rush, I made my first priority forming up a solid phalanx. This looked promising, but bowie took two direct hits and Sarah just could not get a turn to heal him.

Round 3! :damnit:

Round 4! This time I decided screw Jaro and the Master Monk, I'm going for the two pegesus knights on the other side of the field. Everyone died. I'm starting to loathe this battle :(

Round 5!! Bowie was killed in a valiant bolt-charge. He will be fondly remembered.

Round 6!!! I'm mighty sick of the Devil Soldier's ability to move whenever in the initiative it would be most beneficial for them to do so. :damnit: Baited the command group left, then switched right! The last peg knight challenged Eric to an honorable pegesus duel, but we said f that and shot him out of the sky. :shifty: Then we used Jaro as conveniently willing bait for our final offensive. He died. :thumbsup: But Bowie got dropped to 14 hp with no heals left, and I couldn't move him far enough away from the 2nd necromancer. :...:

Round 7!!! In which Bowie takes 3 hits in 2 turns and goes from full hp to dead. Are you kidding?

ROUND 8. Brace yourselves boys, this time I'm finishing this battle if I have to meatgrind my way through to do it! :mwahaha: Slade lvled to 14 and learned Rajin, then Lvled to 15! Bowie, Kazin, Elric and Eric lvled to 14! Jaha and luke lvled to 13! Sarah lvled to 16!
Turns out if you take enough time, those two knights will just come to you. Jaro distracted the bowmaster and chimera while I healed. He's dead again. :excited: Luke got heavy attacked down to 2hp, so he's out of the fight. Burned my last mana on Sarah and prepared for the charge! :eyebrow: Pegesus knight double attacked and killed Gerhalt, then hurried on over to finish off Jaha. Mopped him up, then caught the bowmaster and monk with a back to back Katon 1 and Dao 2 to finish the battle. I recommend the vomit emote for the first post. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03 2017 3:51am
by MXC
Ummm good luck zexxar :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03 2017 4:19am
by Antman 537

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04 2017 7:56am
by zexxar
I'll give it a try sometime during this week.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06 2017 7:04pm
by Simpelicity
So... who's left after this?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07 2017 10:36am
by zexxar
With Jaha and Gerhalt gone (may they rest in piece) we are left with with only 2 tanks (Bowie and Eric) which made the Moun battle quite the pain in the ass because often the enemies come in groups and that's why I even had 2 failures the first time I f*cked it up myself while trying to get used to our great team and the second time was RNG messing with me real hard.

Anyway after learning from my previous failures I somehow made it through without a single death thanks to the Shaman (the boss) rushing forward which let me avoid the Mud Men.

The second battle went much more smooth thanks to it being one of my favorite battles so I still know almost all the trigger points and therefore I seldom had to fight bigger groups unlike in Moun. And so I slowly but surely made my way up to Cameela went down pretty fast thanks a critical Dao 2 :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07 2017 9:31pm
by Simpelicity
The trick to manipulating the Moun battle in your favor is to go up immediately. Well, after the first 3 enemies. And kill those 3 enemies without going left past that first house at the entrance. The triggers are designed to mess you up if you go the natural path (left then up the middle) but deal very poorly with you going up then left.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08 2017 12:15am
by MXC
Yeah, pretty much. I've had that battle quite a bit, I feel like. Even doing that strategy still leaves with having the middle to deal with but at least you have some strategy to implement there.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08 2017 3:02am
by Simpelicity
Well, half the monsters don't get triggered properly, so that gives you more breathing room to deal with the other half, then you can trigger/deal the rest at your leisure.

I only discovered that recently though, I think I've only done that once or twice :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08 2017 6:18am
by zexxar
Yes that was exactly what I was doing in my 3rd try in Moun after killing the inital 3 I went back and waited for the group in the upperleft to approach me and after taking them out I took the middle route were I was lucky that the 2 remaining Hell Soldiers stormed towards me without any backup :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10 2017 12:43am
by greyskies
Sooo... the force crash landed the Nazca ship as usual, I paid the monastery a quick visit (but without meeting any naked MMNKs), and then on I went to the next battle.

Seconds in, I realized I forgot to equip the Nazca cannon, and Jaha was the person who had it. Unfortunately, Jaha is dead, so no new toys for Elric. Bummer.
I moved forward rather fast, engaged the first Lizardman, positioned Elric so the Griffin would be pulled. Then I misjudged the range of the Mist Demons, and suddenly I was confronted with two purple worms and the Mist Demon while Sarah and Kazin were both in a confused state.
I concluded that the situation was too risky and egressed the f* out of there.

For the second attempt (after finally equipping the Nazca Cannon), I took much more time for the advance, and it paid off: one after another, the enemies fell, until only the Bow Master, the Shaman and the Chaos Wizard were left alive.

Until the Mud Men triggered. Now suddenly confronted with an enemy force to match our numbers, I had Elric tank a Blaze 4 and a Bow Master arrow - which he barely survived with about 20 HP - while the rest of the party brought down the two closest Mud Men and the Chaos Wizard in one turn.
After some more struggling I had to use Kazin's already cracked Mage Staff in order to finish off the third Mud Man, causing the staff to finally break.
Instead of healing a heavily injured Slade, Sarah cast Slow on the Bow Master and the Shaman, and Bowie stepped into the way of the enemy so everyone's favorite ninja rat would live to see another day. Once more, Elric took the brunt of the attack - and with their defense lowered by a large amount, Bow Master and Shaman went down quickly in the next turn.

I have to say that with only seven party members this battle was definitely challenging! I assume the prism flower battle will be easier, but we'll see. Probably tomorrow.

EDIT: I just realized that "no Egress!" was part of the ruleset. I suggest using the purple domingo of shame :blush: for this oversight, and I will fight to the bitter end the next time.

EDIT #2: It was actually Eric who tanked the attacks, not Elric. Those two names can get a bit confusing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10 2017 4:15pm
by MXC
It doesn't seem like you gained much from the Egress. Just roll with it and take out the Prism Flowers ;)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13 2017 7:20am
by greyskies
Alright, finally managed to finish the second battle.

Luckily, I had played the Prism Flower Battle not long ago, so I remembered in which direction the flowers were facing and where it was save to stand. Still got caught in two or three beams throughout the whole fight, one of which was intended - Luke took a laser to the face so the prism flower would finish off the first bow knight. Also, the first enemy group made me realize how low the damage output of our small party is, so instead of going through the middle I took the safer path hugging the cliffs on the right side.
I managed to pull both Mist Demons with a melee attack and took my time killing the four prism flowers in the middle just to be on the safe side.
Eric got as low as 9 HP at one point, so Sarah used her last MP to heal him to his full 90 with a Heal 4.

The final group of enemies was easily defeated; the Chaos Wizard overextended, attacking Elric with his staff, and then I steamrolled the Shaman and the Executioner with the whole party. An Apollo 2 from Kazin sealed the deal.
The Executioner's battle sword went to Luke, who is not doing particularly well when it comes to damage output.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13 2017 1:59pm
by MXC
Well done :)

Time for Drakonis to get brutalized by Red Baron :lol: I know it's likely unwinnable, all things considered. Even if you manage to win, Geshp probably can't be taken out. We'll see how far we get ;)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13 2017 10:50pm
by Simpelicity
I mean... not to be mean or anything... but let's just say the Geshp battle is a lot harder than the Jar battle.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17 2017 9:46pm
by Drakonis
Not gonna lie.
It took me a few attempts untilI had enough luck to not get my soul dunked by our friendly neighbourhood vampire.
But eventually I managed to get through it with everyone alive! Haha!
Highlights include both Bowie and Eric surviving a Red Baron double attack, the Baron himself wasting two turns failing to shred souls while I dealt with Jeff and Willbur (his evil bishop and chaos wizard minions) and Eric ending the battle on a double attack that might have saved some lives.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18 2017 12:23am
by greyskies
Great job! In case we make it through the next battle(s) and I actually get to face Odd-Eye I might have to borrow those tactician pants of yours.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20 2017 5:32am
by Antman 537
Well now, I seem to recall someone formally requested a screen capture of the Geshp battle. If anyone knows some decent free software, I'll do that. Either way, I hope to get to this tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20 2017 6:34am
by greyskies
I recorded my playthrough with the OBS Studio, which is a decent enough piece of software imho.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22 2017 6:01am
by Antman 537
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz61ArS7bAE&feature=youtu.be
Watch first, to avoid spoilers. It's only 12 min long anyways. Sorry it's low grade; I wanted to keep the file small. :shifty:

Ok, launched! It seems we don't have the dry stone, but it doesn't look like we get anything important from the dwarven town anyway, without crafting. :thumbsup: Got the evil shot!

...Round 7! Kazin lvled to 21 and learned Atlas! Bowie, Slade and kazin lvled to 22! Bowie learned Bolt 3! Elric lvled to 23! Sarah lvled to 24! I managed to lure out all but the Cyclops one by one, then Geshp charged Bowie. Fortunately, everyone was in position to pound firepower into him. Unfortunately, the cyclops finished off Kazin before I could finish Geshp. :damnit: I'd keep trying, but I don't think that's allowed. The death toll is mounting....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24 2017 1:54pm
by MXC
The White Ring is in the dwarven town. That would probably prove helpful in keeping Bowie alive ;)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24 2017 6:38pm
by greyskies
That was quite the clutch victory. Nice job, Antman!
Now that Simpelicity is passing, who is up for the next battle?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24 2017 7:52pm
by MXC
Anyone, I guess. I already took one of his, not that we need to be even about it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25 2017 2:04am
by Antman 537
I don't think anyone wants me to do more battles :shifty:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25 2017 2:17am
by MXC
I just want to know how you managed to beat this one, only losing Kazin, but then struggled with Jaro's battle :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25 2017 4:14pm
by Simpelicity
Hah, my name is now an undefined 100+ value.

I'd like to point out that Zeon will also be up for grabs. That'll be a fun one, if y'all get there.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25 2017 4:33pm
by MXC
Technically, zexxar and Antman will have done 7 battles by the end, everyone else still playing will have done 8. So you guys get first dibs :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26 2017 3:56am
by Antman 537
Well, I suppose I could reap what I've sowed and do Zeon. I can't promise there'll be a team after that, though.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28 2017 2:26am
by Jonesy_Pants
I'd be keen to get invovled in the next challenge )
:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02 2017 8:40pm
by MXC
I'll give zexxar another day or so to make a claim. Otherwise, I might just do it ;)

So I cleared up the inventories and made sure to get the White Ring for Bowie. I also consolidated all the cursed weapons in case we decide to use them ;) Fun fact - Did you know that if you play the piano in Yeel, leave, and come back in, you'll be standing right outside the church? I decided not to follow the scene because that would recruit Chaz and Lemon (which would be fine since we can purge Chaz and actually use Lemon.) But I wanted even more of a challenge and decided to leave Lemon in his hole.

Armed with the unlikely crew of Bowie, Sarah, Slade, Luke, Elric, and Eric (somehow Luke is still alive?), I set forth on the last easy battle of the game. The first group of enemies is no problem, though they do get Slade to critical health before Sarah chips away at healing him. Everyone hiding in the bushes makes this portion easy. The AI isn't dumb enough to advance the second wave though.

Bowie, my new shield becauseeveryoneisdeadandileftlemoninahole, does a great job of not dying during the second assault. White Dragons only manage 13 damage. What a bunch of wimps. While patching everyone up, Sarah learns Detox 4. I'm sure that'll be the most important development of the game. Everyone else gets drawn out except for the boss. The only real issue I had was the Wizard casting Blaze 4 on Bowie, followed up by a Cyclops doing about 10 damage. Bowie still head 30 HP left :lol: Luke mopped up the Hydra and the battle is over, despite Sarah still having half her MP.

Sarah is level 25, Elric and Eric are 24 (barely), Bowie, Slade, and Luke are all 23. Remember to get Lemon (he'll find you at Devil's Head) and the Force Sword. If you reallllly feel like getting the Evil Knuckles, you'll have to trigger the scene with Chaz. The Evil Axe also needs to be acquired. I did leave the Heat Axe with Gyan though so you can give it to Lemon if you wish.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05 2017 7:37pm
by greyskies
MXC wrote:But I wanted even more of a challenge and decided to leave Lemon in his hole.

Yeah, I did the same thing and then NO WAIT I DIDN'T BECAUSE I'M NOT A CRAZY PERSON. :P
I decided I wanted the Evil Knuckles because this party lacks damage, and you never know when you want to slap somebody with a monk. So I listened to Chaz' fairy voiced ramblings and then left him sitting in the hideout, which is apparently something one can do.
Onwards to the devil's head!

Not gonna lie, the battle was pretty horrible. I shot down the enemies in the lower half of the map easily and avoided many attacks (one of the Chaos Wizards still hit Bowie with a Blaze 4), but when I finally approached Odd Eye's turf Sarah was still down to 37 MP, or as I'd like to call it "three useful heals".

The Necromancer was the first to attack, and Bowie moving in triggered Odd Eye. I quickly got the surround on him, but not before using the Protect Ring on Slade, Eric and Lemon. The latter two and Bowie kept him pinned down, while the rest of the party did their best to decimate the approaching group of a Chaos Warrior, a Hydra, a Dark Gunner or whatever the Arrow Launchers are called at this point, and an Evil Priest.
Slade and Bowie had a hayday with their Bolt Spells, at least until the Chaos Warrior stunned Bowie moments before taking his last breath. In the same round Luke got hit with a counter by Odd Eye, sending him to sleep (luckily birdmen seem to be one of these bird species who keep flying while sleeping, otherwise he would have plummeted to a fiery death in the lava field below).
At this point Sarah was down to her last 7 MP, but she couldn't approach the injured Luke as she was also down to 10 or so HP, and would therefore have died to a laser beam. To make things worse, the Protect Ring Boost was running out as well. I knew that I could bring down Odd Eye within another round of battle, but not without losing somebody first.

Then the miracle happened. Luke dodged the first attack with his amazing auto pilot bird brain, and in the second round Odd Eye went for laser feather removal, leaving Luke singed but alive.
At this point I decided to gamble and had Eric equip the Evil Lance, with which he did just barely enough damage for Lemon to finish Odd Eye off in his next turn. VICTORY!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05 2017 7:56pm
by MXC
Good work. Not sure I knew we could leave Chaz there in the past but I clearly forgot about it this time around. I do wish the AI for Oddeye was a bit better though, for challenge sake. I've had him laser people far too often and leave them alive. Not that I particularly like death, but, ya'know...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05 2017 8:59pm
by greyskies
Well, other than that final hiccup, he did fine this time. He only lasered Sarah when she was already low and other than that mostly focused on punching Bowie. I would also accept his laser attack on Luke from an RP perspective - like "damn, that hit should have killed him! Alright, bird, try dodging THIS!" :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06 2017 7:30pm
by Drakonis
I'll take care of this on the weekend, probably tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07 2017 6:32am
by Simpelicity
Good luck making Luke dodge freeze 4

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07 2017 8:03am
by greyskies
Drakonis wrote:I'll take care of this on the weekend, probably tomorrow.

Just a reminder: I think I didn't lift the curse on Eric, so he'll still be carrying the Evil Lance. You'll probably want that changed before diving into the next battle.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08 2017 12:37am
by Drakonis
greyskies wrote:
Drakonis wrote:I'll take care of this on the weekend, probably tomorrow.

Just a reminder: I think I didn't lift the curse on Eric, so he'll still be carrying the Evil Lance. You'll probably want that changed before diving into the next battle.

Luckily Creed shows up, so I had a convenient way to do so. Thanks for the heads-up.

Managed to get everyone through! But it was a bit of a crawl. Shout outs to the White Ring only cracking after the third use and Sarah using every last MP and surviving the final round with 1 HP.

My suggestions for Galam and Zeon:
Bowie is your most valuable tank. Use and abuse him. He took less than 20 from Hydras and Chaos Warriors, though he's probably gonna take a bit more from the last batch of upgraded enemies. Still, this could be very valuable to conserve Sarah's scarce MP.
Use Eric's and Luke's mobility to lure ut fliers and AoE enemies, then heal back up.

AND FOR THE LOVE OF VOLCANON GO REPAIR THE WHITE AND EVIL RINGS BEFORE YOU START.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08 2017 3:20am
by Antman 537
MXC wrote:Rules:

...No Item Repairing

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08 2017 8:34am
by MXC
Yeah good luck with that :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08 2017 7:39pm
by Drakonis
Well then.

Guess you're f*cked :p

Who's idea was it again to run a no revive run where we have only one character with a heal period? :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10 2017 7:10am
by Jonesy_Pants
would love to get invovled with this but have been waiting for nearly 3 weeks for my first post to be approved.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12 2017 6:54am
by zexxar
I'll try to get this done as soon as possible. Let's see how much fun this battle will be.

Edit: The Battle is done and I managed it without losses in the second try the first became a bit f*cked up after muddle hit almost everyone and after Sarah went down I knew it was game over :(

Second try went pretty well I cleared the right side first always Bowie on the front taking up the damage and I only tried to use Heal 1 to heal him to conserve some MP. I went back and lured the enemies from the left side and was lucky that the Demon Master choose to hit Bowie instead of using Freeze 4 and so I continues to wipe out enemies after they hit Bowie :)

I still had some good MP left with Sarah after only Galam and his bodyguard were alive but then the Demon Master rushed forwar and hit Bowie with a Freeze 4, he was left with 16 HP which made me waste 20 MP to prevent him from dying. After the Demonmaster went down Galam rushed forward but luckily he always smacked the isolated Bowie and didn't use Demon Breath which made it a lot easier because the rest could clear out the remaining enemies befor focusing on Galam how went down pretty smoothly also thanks to Eric critting him with the Demon Lance equipped ;)

Have fun with the remaining battles.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17 2017 2:22am
by Simpelicity
So, is it Antman for Zeon?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17 2017 10:11am
by MXC
Yep :biggrin:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18 2017 5:35pm
by Simpelicity
your thread description doesn't seem aware of that fact.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18 2017 7:33pm
by MXC
Yeah, I'm not too worried about missing that update from my mobile while I was out of the country :lol:

Anyone have ideas for #19? I'm not sure when I'll do it (if everyone wants, I could roll right into it), but it'll be nice to have some suggestions.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22 2017 7:34am
by Antman 537
Solo run?
Only mastermonks?
also, sorry for the downtime; had an anime convention this weekend. I'll plan to do this monday

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22 2017 10:50am
by zexxar
Did we ever do an Unarmed & Magicians run before ?

So we only use characters that are either unable to equip a weapoon or characters that can cast spells.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22 2017 3:41pm
by MXC
I just went back and looked through all the team games from this version of the forums, which is from Team #5 (in 2005) to now. I started fully running the team games at #7. I didn't realize how often we do Roulette and Marathon hacks :lol: The full list is below:

Normal
Normal
Random Rules
Bare Handed Brawlers
Paper Wall
Roulette
Marathon
Roulette
Marathon (participating players picked the Force members)
Roulette
nightshade's hack
Roulette
Marathon (one character from each class type)
Random Rules

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22 2017 4:54pm
by zexxar
That is a lot of roulette and marathon :shock: but Bare Handed Brawlers was definitely one of best :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22 2017 8:55pm
by Drakonis
Well, the Roullette does have the advantage of being randomized a bit.
And Marathon basicly just let's us skip right to the battle sequences. As much as I love the overworld segments, for repeated team games such as this the Marathon hack was a blessing.

IIRC Paper Wall was pretty fun. Some high risk/reward involved in there.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23 2017 2:42am
by MXC
We can find something new as well. It’s a shame Noma never finished his All Star hack since that might be fun.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24 2017 6:01am
by Antman 537
To battle! The general strategy is to ignore most of the enemies and rush Zeon.

Round 1: Killed one of the zeon guards, he didn't seem to do anything. Died. Read Moogie's guide. Apparently they're supposed to use healing rain on Zeon?

Round 2: Egressed and removed everyone's curses. Realized I had to walk all the way back from Sheela's pool. :( I tried dealing with everyone else first, but this went poorly from the gate. TLDR: Everyone died. Turns out Arch demons can drain your defense!

Round 3! Things were looking pretty good!! Buut then I messed up and ended Sarah's turn without of healing. So a Demon Master freeze 3'd her to death. Also learned that that blue shaman has blast.

Round 4! By this point I had the first few rounds pretty well down to clockwork. I made it up to Zeon without any deaths, but with no healing left. Needless to say, Zeon ground us up pretty badly.

Round 5! Was a wipe.

That's enough for tonight. We'll continue the adventures tomorrow. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24 2017 12:52pm
by MXC
Sounds like you're in a pickle! Let me know if it gets too tough and maybe we can swap the last battles :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24 2017 5:35pm
by Antman 537
I may have to; the trouble is I can't figure out a way to reach all these ranged spellcasters without tanking spells, and I just don't have the heals for that.

Case in point, round 6! I just couldn't get lucky enough, and had to spend all Sarah's mana before I was even halfway through the fight. :damnit:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24 2017 7:44pm
by MXC
I'll give it a shot. I started to do the battle, just to see what kind of damage we could deal and take. After a few rounds, I reset, cast egress, and prepared.

First thing I need to do is sort out these rings. What a mess! Since Eric is a beast but knocked down to 5 MOV, I gave him the Running Ring so he'd have his nice range back. That freed up Sarah to get a needed AGI boost from the Quick Ring. I also noticed that none of the stat boosters were used which will sort out a few more issues:

Pimentos to Sarah to give her range back and to Elric. I really didn't have a great candidate for it but it will help mitigate his bad agility as well.
Brave Apples (had to go to the Dojo to get one) to Luke, who received a very good level (each stat! Crazy for him!) and Elric since he was behind in stats across the board.
Bright Honey on Sarah, for a few more heals.
One Cheerful Bread on Slade, even though Luke could use it a tad more, Slade is more important.
One Quick Chicken on Bowie.
Two Protect Milks on Sarah because she's almost as important as Bowie right now and can barely take a hit.
The Power Waters were a tough decision because with our damage being kind of low, I felt like they would be better served on characters that would just do more damage instead of characters that needed it. So I gave them to Elric (who does kinda need it but is more likely to survive) and to Lemon, who is our next most reliable fighter, after Bowie. Sorry, Luke.
Lastly, we're missing a few boosters, but I'm too lazy to get them.

It's amazing how I have the muscle memory for the maze before Oddeye's Battle.

While playing the waiting game for the bottom three enemies to get in striking position, I managed to pull the Horesman down. I attempt to deal with the Horeseman, which proved a mistake as I quickly have to deal with the other three jerks closing in. In the ensuing chaos, I also trigger a Demon Master from the north, who drops Slade to 15HP before I can heal him. Fortunately, everything decides to go after Lemon and Eric. Bowie his smacked around by the Arch Demon, which is great for our HP situation, but awful for leaving me without my tank, since he has been slowed. After dealing with all the crap, I draw back from the choke point, just in time... or not. The second Demon Master comes down and casts Freeze 4 on Sarah. She survives but damn, healing her is going to drain my MP. I don't think I'll manage to get out of here with everyone alive. Fortunately, this means I'll be down to a few Pyrohydras, two Zeon Guards, and a weak Shaman.

After waiting for Slow to expire and everyone to be healed, I march over to the left since I know I can get some exp without taking much damage. I think it's worth the risk. My gamble pays off with only Eric taking damage (from his curse :lol: ) I let Lemon and Luke deal with the Zeon Guard since they're behind in experience. With the Demon Masters both gone, the left side will be considerably easier than normal (especially since the Pyrohydras don't have an attach boost!)

On Luke's return journey, he steps into the Blue Shaman's strike zone. This is the weirdest experience I've had with the battle. I'm usually more careful but playing during my break is making me a bit too loose with my placement. This forces me to run Eric over to help out, but ultimately only costs an extra heal, which is kind of worse than it sounds. I let Lemon get the kill on the Zeon Guard to level him up for his showdown against Zeon. He's better than Bowie since Bowie can cast a bit and since Lemon dying doesn't mean I have to restart ;)

I'm left with everyone standing and having either full health or too little damage to waste a heal. Sarah only has 20 MP left, which might be tricky. If Zeon goes after Lemon only, I have enough for one Heal 4, or two Heal 3s. If he spams Demon Breath, I might be screwed. If I see an opening, I might cast Blast 4. The plan is for Luke and Eric to attack the top and side (hopefully Eric doesn't get stunned from the curse), have Lemon attack head-on, Elric attack from behind Lemon, and have Bowie + Slade casting spells from the sides while Sarah waits.

Eric 41 damage, takes 6 from curse and 18 from Zeon counter
Slade Katon 3, 48 damage
Luke 20 damage (Zeon showing blue)
Lemon 0 damage, Zeon dodge
Bowie Bolt 1, 14 damage
Zeon 40 damage on Luke (Luke at 48HP)
Elric 24 damage
Eric 39 damage
Luke 19 damage (Zeon showing green)
Slade Katon 3, 51 damage
Zeon 0 damage on Luke (dodge)
Lemon 29 damage, 19 damage from Zeon counter
Bowie Bolt 2, 18 damage (Zeon showing yellow)
Zeon 45 damage on Luke (Luke at 3HP)
Elric 21 damage
Eric stunned
Slade Katon 3, 47 damage
Luke FLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Zeon casts Demon Breath on damn near everyone. Not good.
Lemon 34 damage (Zeon showing red)
Sarah Blast 4, 34 damage
Bowie out of MP, uses White Ring so that 2-4 characters don't die from Demon Breath/ Lemon doesn't die from a normal attack. White Ring shatters, but my chances of survival do not.
Zeon 28 damage on Lemon (Lemon at 11HP)
Elric 21 damage (Zeon at 40HP)
Luke 24 damage (Zeon at 16HP)
Slade Katon 2, 17 damage. Fried Zeon for dinner, everyone!

Everyone is level 28 or 29, with Sarah at 30 (and ended with 12 MP and everyone almost dead!) I had wanted to get Bowie to level 29 to get an extra MP but you probably won't need it anyway.

I'm sorry that the White Ring is gone and nerfs Bowie but on the other hand, you can lose characters in the last battle and it won't really matter ;)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24 2017 8:51pm
by zexxar
Good job MXC :thumbsup:

But I also was suprised that I was able to navigate through the maze without going wronge once although I haven't walked through it in year (thanks to marathon or roulette) but somehow the correct way is burned so deep in my mind :lol:

About the statboosters I wouldn't be suprised if everyone else was just like me and thought we are forbidden to use because so many things where forbidden haha :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24 2017 8:59pm
by MXC
When I had my first battle gap, I thought they were ruled out as well. But then I remembered that I kept saving them in case somebody died :) I figured the second last battle was long enough.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24 2017 9:15pm
by greyskies
zexxar wrote:About the statboosters I wouldn't be suprised if everyone else was just like me and thought we are forbidden to use because so many things where forbidden haha :lol:

Definitely... I thought I had read "no items", not "no healing items"...

Anyhow, great job!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24 2017 11:52pm
by Antman 537
Impressive; I really am curious how you avoid so much damage.

Also, fun fact: I've never played the secret battle before. Do I need to do anything to access it? And any general things I should know?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25 2017 1:12am
by MXC
I quite a bit of damage early from not paying attention. But after the first wave, I could charge in and eliminate a lot of enemies before they attacked me. The most dangerous enemies here on the Demon Masters because their damage stays consistent between Normal and Super. If you stay in range of Freeze 4, they'll hit you with it and that's half your HP. Getting in close will often make them go melee (not sure the real odds). Other than that, hope the Arch Demon's don't cast Bolt (which is easier to avoid with a small party, or rather easier to only let one person get it ;) )

But more importantly, why have you never played the final battle?! To access it, you'll have to let the credits play and leave it running for a few minutes (use frameskip 8) and a prompt will pop up. Head into the battle and take on all the bosses. Hint: a few are going to be a pain, despite being old bosses. Namely, Geshp, Red Baron, and Zeon. Have fun. Oh, and I just realized that if you really wanted to cheat the system (but technically, not really), you could use the Fairy Tears on Sarah. I guess if we had thought of that sooner, you'd have had no issue with Battle 43. Unless we decided Fairy Tears were "an MP healing item" or something... I just can't remember :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02 2017 4:18am
by Antman 537
Aha, got it! Quick update: I'm pretty busy with school projects this week, but I plan to tackle this Saturday

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02 2017 9:49am
by Jonesy_Pants
when is the next one?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02 2017 12:45pm
by MXC
Not until after this one is complete. And even then, I'm not sure. Starting during the holidays is usually a waste of time since people are out doing other stuff. Might not be until the beginning of next year.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07 2017 7:04am
by Antman 537
Ok! I wandered around an embarrassingly long time looking for Astral, but now we're finally at the battle!
Also forgot to un-curse Eric, so it's evil lance all the way!

Round 1! Ugh, they have so many turns! :damnit:
Round 6! ...Ok, I don't think desoul should be able to work on your commander. I feel robbed. :(

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07 2017 1:59pm
by MXC
I told you to look out for Red Baron :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14 2017 1:14am
by Antman 537
Update: I'm now on attempt 15. I managed to reach Zeon having lost only Luke, and with 23mp left on Sarah. Tragically, my plan to "just rush him" prompted Zeon to demon breath everyone. Still, our intrepid heroes came close to defeating him before being annihilated. I've read on Moogie's guide that her go-to strategy is to attack one at a time, to avoid getting demon-breathed. While casualties are sure to be heavy, I plan to implement this moving forward. If I can just get back there again... :shifty:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14 2017 4:53am
by Simpelicity
Never give up, never surrender!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14 2017 1:54pm
by MXC
I'm not ready for the next TG anyway so take your time :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17 2017 1:49am
by Antman 537
Now that finals are done, it's time to tackle this battle once and for all!

...Round 27! It has become clear that beating this battle will require flawless execution. And probably a little luck. I got tired of re-doing the beginning of the battle, and just updated the savestate. Which is probably poor form, but I have ceased to care! :damnit: I also used the Fairy tears :thumbsup:
I let Cameela wail ineffectively on Bowie a bit, rather than lure Zalbard down too soon. Lemon and Bowie lved to 29! Sarah lvled to 31! Not that it matters.
Lemon lured Geshp into melee range, then Luke, Elric and Eric jumped him. Incredibly, he died before Oddeye or Red Baron attacked!
Oddeye took some coaxing and a heal 3, but I managed to get him into beatdown range. Elric lvled to 29!
No sooner did Oddeye die then Galam ran down to attack Luke. Exactly as planed. :excited: Luke limps away with 2hp, but the screaming jerk runs past the entire force to try and kill the now full health Luke and Sarah again! Luckily he dies before he can finish the job.
In a real stroke of luck, Red Baron attempts to desoul Slade and misses, then attacks Luke and misses twice. Lemon steps up and kills... himself? :eyebrow:

And now for the daring finale! The party draws lots as to who should attack Zeon first. It's decided that Elric will shoot him from one side, while Eric distracts him from the other. This seems to be working pretty well! Luke trades off with Eric to let him get healed, then Eric steps out for the same. Sarah lvles to 32!
But there must be a price paid for victory. Luke is the first to die, while Elric is being healed. And Sarah has now run out of mp.
The force watches helplessly as their friends lay down their lives. Next Eric, then Slade, then Elric, who brings Zeon to 19hp before dying. The end in sight, Sarah kisses Bowie then rushes forward and kills the devil-god with a critical hit!

GAME OVER

In retrospect, I could have probably jumped in when Zeon hit 100hp, and saved a life or two. All in all though, it was a fun challenge. I'm sure our heroes will never forget their brave comrades. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19 2017 3:46am
by MXC
We did it! Good work! Now for a nice break to #19. If anyone has ideas, post them here.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12 2018 2:42am
by Antman 537
we could pick up all characters, and replace the oldest member with the newest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12 2018 3:06am
by Simpelicity
Hm, the trap with this proposition (which makes it interesting I suppose), is that having to pick up all characters means you have to pick up the Creed leftovers, and you're stuck with them 'til the end of the game. Paired with the usual "no level grinding", that means for Flowers onwards, we're playing with 9.5 characters.