Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force II
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Team Shining Force II #18

Complete!

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Re: Team Shining Force II #18

Postby Drakonis » Sun Sep 17 2017 9:46pm

Not gonna lie.
It took me a few attempts untilI had enough luck to not get my soul dunked by our friendly neighbourhood vampire.
But eventually I managed to get through it with everyone alive! Haha!
Highlights include both Bowie and Eric surviving a Red Baron double attack, the Baron himself wasting two turns failing to shred souls while I dealt with Jeff and Willbur (his evil bishop and chaos wizard minions) and Eric ending the battle on a double attack that might have saved some lives.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Drakonis

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby greyskies » Mon Sep 18 2017 12:23am

Great job! In case we make it through the next battle(s) and I actually get to face Odd-Eye I might have to borrow those tactician pants of yours.
Check out Return to Grans - A Shining Force II hack which features a completely
reworked story, numerous visual improvements, and tons of balance changes.

Also available as storymode hack only.

greyskies

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Antman 537 » Wed Sep 20 2017 5:32am

Well now, I seem to recall someone formally requested a screen capture of the Geshp battle. If anyone knows some decent free software, I'll do that. Either way, I hope to get to this tomorrow.
Antman 537

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby greyskies » Wed Sep 20 2017 6:34am

I recorded my playthrough with the OBS Studio, which is a decent enough piece of software imho.

greyskies

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Antman 537 » Fri Sep 22 2017 6:01am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz61ArS7bAE&feature=youtu.be
Watch first, to avoid spoilers. It's only 12 min long anyways. Sorry it's low grade; I wanted to keep the file small. :shifty:

Ok, launched! It seems we don't have the dry stone, but it doesn't look like we get anything important from the dwarven town anyway, without crafting. :thumbsup: Got the evil shot!

...Round 7! Kazin lvled to 21 and learned Atlas! Bowie, Slade and kazin lvled to 22! Bowie learned Bolt 3! Elric lvled to 23! Sarah lvled to 24! I managed to lure out all but the Cyclops one by one, then Geshp charged Bowie. Fortunately, everyone was in position to pound firepower into him. Unfortunately, the cyclops finished off Kazin before I could finish Geshp. :damnit: I'd keep trying, but I don't think that's allowed. The death toll is mounting....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Antman 537

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby MXC » Sun Sep 24 2017 1:54pm

The White Ring is in the dwarven town. That would probably prove helpful in keeping Bowie alive ;)
MXC

Shining Legend

Postby greyskies » Sun Sep 24 2017 6:38pm

That was quite the clutch victory. Nice job, Antman!
Now that Simpelicity is passing, who is up for the next battle?

greyskies

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby MXC » Sun Sep 24 2017 7:52pm

Anyone, I guess. I already took one of his, not that we need to be even about it.
MXC

Shining Legend

Postby Antman 537 » Mon Sep 25 2017 2:04am

I don't think anyone wants me to do more battles :shifty:
Antman 537

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby MXC » Mon Sep 25 2017 2:17am

I just want to know how you managed to beat this one, only losing Kazin, but then struggled with Jaro's battle :lol:
MXC

Shining Legend

Postby Simpelicity » Mon Sep 25 2017 4:14pm

Hah, my name is now an undefined 100+ value.

I'd like to point out that Zeon will also be up for grabs. That'll be a fun one, if y'all get there.
Simpelicity

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby MXC » Mon Sep 25 2017 4:33pm

Technically, zexxar and Antman will have done 7 battles by the end, everyone else still playing will have done 8. So you guys get first dibs :)
MXC

Shining Legend

Postby Antman 537 » Tue Sep 26 2017 3:56am

Well, I suppose I could reap what I've sowed and do Zeon. I can't promise there'll be a team after that, though.
Antman 537

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Jonesy_Pants » Thu Sep 28 2017 2:26am

I'd be keen to get invovled in the next challenge )
:thumbsup:
Jonesy_Pants

Postby MXC » Mon Oct 02 2017 8:40pm

I'll give zexxar another day or so to make a claim. Otherwise, I might just do it ;)

So I cleared up the inventories and made sure to get the White Ring for Bowie. I also consolidated all the cursed weapons in case we decide to use them ;) Fun fact - Did you know that if you play the piano in Yeel, leave, and come back in, you'll be standing right outside the church? I decided not to follow the scene because that would recruit Chaz and Lemon (which would be fine since we can purge Chaz and actually use Lemon.) But I wanted even more of a challenge and decided to leave Lemon in his hole.

Armed with the unlikely crew of Bowie, Sarah, Slade, Luke, Elric, and Eric (somehow Luke is still alive?), I set forth on the last easy battle of the game. The first group of enemies is no problem, though they do get Slade to critical health before Sarah chips away at healing him. Everyone hiding in the bushes makes this portion easy. The AI isn't dumb enough to advance the second wave though.

Bowie, my new shield becauseeveryoneisdeadandileftlemoninahole, does a great job of not dying during the second assault. White Dragons only manage 13 damage. What a bunch of wimps. While patching everyone up, Sarah learns Detox 4. I'm sure that'll be the most important development of the game. Everyone else gets drawn out except for the boss. The only real issue I had was the Wizard casting Blaze 4 on Bowie, followed up by a Cyclops doing about 10 damage. Bowie still head 30 HP left :lol: Luke mopped up the Hydra and the battle is over, despite Sarah still having half her MP.

Sarah is level 25, Elric and Eric are 24 (barely), Bowie, Slade, and Luke are all 23. Remember to get Lemon (he'll find you at Devil's Head) and the Force Sword. If you reallllly feel like getting the Evil Knuckles, you'll have to trigger the scene with Chaz. The Evil Axe also needs to be acquired. I did leave the Heat Axe with Gyan though so you can give it to Lemon if you wish.
MXC

Shining Legend

Postby greyskies » Thu Oct 05 2017 7:37pm

MXC wrote:But I wanted even more of a challenge and decided to leave Lemon in his hole.

Yeah, I did the same thing and then NO WAIT I DIDN'T BECAUSE I'M NOT A CRAZY PERSON. :P
I decided I wanted the Evil Knuckles because this party lacks damage, and you never know when you want to slap somebody with a monk. So I listened to Chaz' fairy voiced ramblings and then left him sitting in the hideout, which is apparently something one can do.
Onwards to the devil's head!

Not gonna lie, the battle was pretty horrible. I shot down the enemies in the lower half of the map easily and avoided many attacks (one of the Chaos Wizards still hit Bowie with a Blaze 4), but when I finally approached Odd Eye's turf Sarah was still down to 37 MP, or as I'd like to call it "three useful heals".

The Necromancer was the first to attack, and Bowie moving in triggered Odd Eye. I quickly got the surround on him, but not before using the Protect Ring on Slade, Eric and Lemon. The latter two and Bowie kept him pinned down, while the rest of the party did their best to decimate the approaching group of a Chaos Warrior, a Hydra, a Dark Gunner or whatever the Arrow Launchers are called at this point, and an Evil Priest.
Slade and Bowie had a hayday with their Bolt Spells, at least until the Chaos Warrior stunned Bowie moments before taking his last breath. In the same round Luke got hit with a counter by Odd Eye, sending him to sleep (luckily birdmen seem to be one of these bird species who keep flying while sleeping, otherwise he would have plummeted to a fiery death in the lava field below).
At this point Sarah was down to her last 7 MP, but she couldn't approach the injured Luke as she was also down to 10 or so HP, and would therefore have died to a laser beam. To make things worse, the Protect Ring Boost was running out as well. I knew that I could bring down Odd Eye within another round of battle, but not without losing somebody first.

Then the miracle happened. Luke dodged the first attack with his amazing auto pilot bird brain, and in the second round Odd Eye went for laser feather removal, leaving Luke singed but alive.
At this point I decided to gamble and had Eric equip the Evil Lance, with which he did just barely enough damage for Lemon to finish Odd Eye off in his next turn. VICTORY!

greyskies

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby MXC » Thu Oct 05 2017 7:56pm

Good work. Not sure I knew we could leave Chaz there in the past but I clearly forgot about it this time around. I do wish the AI for Oddeye was a bit better though, for challenge sake. I've had him laser people far too often and leave them alive. Not that I particularly like death, but, ya'know...
MXC

Shining Legend

Postby greyskies » Thu Oct 05 2017 8:59pm

Well, other than that final hiccup, he did fine this time. He only lasered Sarah when she was already low and other than that mostly focused on punching Bowie. I would also accept his laser attack on Luke from an RP perspective - like "damn, that hit should have killed him! Alright, bird, try dodging THIS!" :)

greyskies

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Drakonis » Fri Oct 06 2017 7:30pm

I'll take care of this on the weekend, probably tomorrow.
Drakonis

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Simpelicity » Sat Oct 07 2017 6:32am

Good luck making Luke dodge freeze 4
Simpelicity

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Shining Force II