Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force II
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Team Shining Force II #18

Battle 44: Secret Battle - Antman

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Re: Team Shining Force II #18

Postby Antman 537 » Wed Jul 26 2017 12:25am

Elric joined the force! I forgot the healing drop, but I guess it doesn't matter much. To battle!

Man, I don't seem to do any damage to these guys. A skeleton hit Bowie for half his hp, a problem compounded when Sarah was silenced by a harpy before she could move to heal him. :shock: Fortunately, once the skeleton went down, it was easy enough to turtle up and beat down the orcs. The rest was pretty straightforward. Jaha almost died when the 2nd skeleton followed up the dark madam and left him at 1hp. But he got away. :thumbsup:

Slade and Kazin lvled to 3! Jaha lvled to 2! Sarah lvled to 4! Chester lvled to 23!

Turns out the 2nd skeleton was a boss monster, so the battle ended :shifty:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Antman 537

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Simpelicity » Thu Jul 27 2017 9:41pm

Um.... soonish? Maybe during the weekend? Certainly not until then.
Simpelicity

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Simpelicity » Sun Aug 06 2017 10:00pm

Alright... I tried it a few times and it ended in blood.
More importantly... how to say this....
I didn't think I'd like the rules of the challenge. Tried it anyway. Ended up not liking it. And right now I just don't feel like even playing this. So I think I'll just bow out of this team game, instead of delaying everyone while I try to find some motivation somewhere.

I'm sorry. I hope y'all can bring it to the end though, and have fun doing it. It's just not for me.
Simpelicity

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby MXC » Mon Aug 07 2017 2:00pm

No worries. I'll do this battle and see who wants the rest.

Chessboard synopsis:

Promoted Elric and bought him a new weapon. That extra range is sure to help. I went on in and started the battle, luring enemies to my defensive position, retreating, repeating. Slade learned Katon. I make it through half the board before needing to heal. Even then, it's just twice on Bowie and once on Jaha. Meanwhile, Jaha and Elric gain some nice defensive boosts. Chester is still really useful. I have a feeling I'll have to leave an enemy or two alive but I'm going to try to avoid it. Sarah learns Blast 3. I'm down to the King, two Queens, two Bishops, and a Pawn. Time to heal and deal with the rest. There's an annoying pattern at this point where the remaining enemies just switch positions over a few turns and repeat, meaning I can't lure them like I did the rest. Kazin learns Apollo. I actually was able to somewhat successfully lure down everyone else. I usually have the King sprint down ahead of 3-4 others, but he sat back. The King finally decides to join and only takes Jaha down to half health before he gets pummeled. It's amazing how much easier this is without it being on Super. Still, it required a ton of patience. Everyone is level 4 except Chester (24) and Sarah (5). Willard is next to die!

Willard synopsis:

This battle is a joke without the Super boost. Seriously, I only healed twice and that was because I figured we could use the exp.

North Cliff synopsis:

Much more to do now that I'm out of Creed's place. I added Eric to the team and shoved him in the Caravan to await his Pegasus Wing. Picked up the Running Ring and gave it to Gerhalt. Picked the Antidote from Creed's garden, grabbed the healing rain that I forgot about earlier, and grabbed the Mithril I ignored from the mountains. I also collected the stuff from the cave. Took the fairy to the dwarf and headed back to New Granseal. Bought new weapons for everyone and realized that a few characters had old old weapons. I also picked up the Cheerful Bread from the castle. You guys are slacking big time! I'm just glad Jaha has a sword and Kazin has a defense boost. Anyway, I sold all the healing items and Mithril, then shoved Janet into the Caravan. On to battle!

This one hit a lot harder and I actually had to use all of Sarah's MP. Other than that, not much of note happened. Everyone is level 6 or 7 (or 27 for Chester). No causalities in any of my battles, and no enemy left alive. Good luck in that cave, Antman ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MXC

Shining Legend

Postby greyskies » Thu Aug 10 2017 1:37pm

Just wanted to note that I'd happily assimilate one of Simpelicity's remaining battles :)
Check out Return to Grans - A Shining Force II hack which features a completely
reworked story, numerous visual improvements, and tons of balance changes.

Also available as storymode hack only.

greyskies

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby MXC » Thu Aug 10 2017 2:23pm

Take your pick :)

Battle 26: Outside Ketto
Battle 39: Near Granseal Tower
Battle 43: Zeon
MXC

Shining Legend

Postby Antman 537 » Fri Aug 11 2017 5:02am

Rhode joins the force, gets sideboarded for when Elric dies inevitably.

The plan is to use the cave's natural bottlenecks to pick off the enemies slowly. Things start out well enough. Bowie, Elric, and Luke lvled to 7! Then Luke died; the 2nd dark sniper moved 1 turn before Sarah and killed him :( So Sarah kicked the dark sniper in the face in stead, and lvled to 8! Kazin lvled to 7 and learned Neptun! Chester lvled to 28! Slade and Elric lvled to 8! At this point Sarah ran out of mp, which made things trickier. The last gargoyle died, he got off a blaze spell that killed Chester. :damnit: Mercifully, Bowie had the decency do die at this point. I'll give it another go tomorrow.
Antman 537

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby MXC » Fri Aug 11 2017 2:02pm

If you're going to use the bottlenecks, make sure that Jaha is plugging them. Try not to move too fast either, so that you can take care of healing without being rushed.
MXC

Shining Legend

Postby greyskies » Sat Aug 12 2017 11:42am

I'm not too busy these next weeks, so I'd like to order a #26 :)

greyskies

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Antman 537 » Mon Aug 14 2017 11:50pm

Ok, finally time for round 2!

The biggest plus to this round is I'm finally getting a feel for how much healing to expect from each lvl of heal. Kain lvled to 7 and learned Neptun! Sarah, Gerhalt, Elric, Jaha, and Slade lvled to 8! Luke and Bowie lvled to 7! Chester lvled to 28! Discovered skeletons were weak to Dao. This battle the enemies liked to come in fast and furious; I wasn't able to make it to the bottleneck beforew the 2nd lesser demon flew down on me. As luck would have it, I was able to lure the last Lesser Demon out and kill him. Picked up a fairy tear. No deaths this time! :thumbsup:
Antman 537

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby MXC » Tue Aug 15 2017 2:49am

Wooo go Antman!

Now let's see if we can make it back to Grans without another loss. I have faith ;)
MXC

Shining Legend

Postby Simpelicity » Tue Aug 15 2017 4:03am

The only real danger should be Zalbard. I'm sure Drakonis can handle it.
Simpelicity

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby greyskies » Wed Aug 16 2017 5:50pm

Just finished the Higins introduction battle. Good thing Geshp was leaving, he could have wrecked the party at this point in the story if he wasn't such a coward. Or is he riding into the sunset to kill some other heroes and gain some levels? We'll never know.

Stomped the enemies in the lower half of the map without any problems. Jaha and Elric had a bit of trouble keeping up with the rest of the guys. Chester did surprisingly well, he still does a bit of damage and can take a beating. Will he make it to the end? The tension grows.

When I reached the final group of mobs on the beach, I misjudged the distance and Kazin got axed in the face by the Lizard dude. Ouch! I had to scramble and put some bodies between him and the Gargoyle, which hadn't taken its turn yet. In the end, it had no choice but attack someone else, and decided it was going to be Jaha. Bad idea, as the dwarf did a crit counter, and Elric finished the job. I decided to kill the Lizardman next.
Oops! Seems he was the boss. Welp, onwards to Pacalon then!

greyskies

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby MXC » Wed Aug 16 2017 6:54pm

Well done :)

Noma has the battle in Moun. Assuming he doesn't show up, who originally had that battle?
MXC

Shining Legend

Postby zexxar » Sat Aug 19 2017 12:35pm

I went to Pacalon and picked up the Pegasus Wing so that we can finally use Eric as Pegasus Knight. I kicked out Chester and Higins and then started the battle. The battle wasn't too hard because I advanced slowly but there were still some annoying attacks when I waited for Erics turn so that he can catch up a bit.

The most critical situation was when a Wyvern dodged an attack and attacked Sarah for a 34HP, but luckily she was at full health and survived it like everyone else.

Also Moun was originally my battle IIRC.
Trent @ Sun Apr 10 2011 1:00pm wrote:You're the ultimate team player zexxar, always coming to the rescue!

samsengir wrote:Zexxar is a fabulous human being with more sex appeal in his little finger than all of F&G put together. Possibly all of SFC combined.
Trent @ Sun Apr 10 2011 1:00pm wrote:You're the ultimate team player zexxar, always coming to the rescue!

samsengir wrote:Zexxar is a fabulous human being with more sex appeal in his little finger than all of F&G put together. Possibly all of SFC combined.
zexxar

Team Game Saviour
Shining Legend

Postby greyskies » Sun Aug 20 2017 3:49pm

The Pangoat Valley Bridge battle was interesting. I moved to the right first and got rid of the enemies which guarded the bridge head, then moved to the left again to kill the Wyverns and the Lesser Demon. I used Bowie to pull them, and due to a heavy attack he went as low as 9 HP + poison.

I stormed the bridge, then. I expected the worms to be no danger due to their low MOV, but I soon realized that our party isn't very mobile either. Elric in particular reminded me why I dislike BRGNs, he never seemed to be where he was needed in time. In the end, a few people got bitten by worms, but damage was not as bad as I feared.

I attempted not to kill the Wizard boss dude early as to collect some more XP, and Gerhalt, Luke, Kazin and Slade got rewarded with a Blaze 3 in the face for this decision. In order to avoid casualties I had Kazin bludgeon him to death, leaving one Lesser Demon to escape just punishment.

greyskies

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Simpelicity » Sun Aug 20 2017 8:07pm

Well, by this point the lesser demon was only worth anything to Eric anyway. Unless Eric is already caught up.
Simpelicity

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby MXC » Sun Aug 20 2017 9:01pm

Bought new weapons for everyone and got to business. Goals for the battle are to get Eric to at least level 9 (from 6, even though he's basically level 9/10 anyway) and Gerhalt + Luke to level 11 (from 9).

Bowie learns Bolt 2 and nothing else of note really happens. Sarah is level 12, Eric is level 9, and everyone else is level 11. Remember that Eric does have the Chrome Lance but currently has the Javelin equipped.

Just realized Peter is still unpromoted, lol. Also just realized that was my last battle until the very end. Have fun everyone ;)

I think the back quarter of this will go quickly since I set up a lot of back-to-back battles. Everything cruises when you can fire off two battles in one sitting.
MXC

Shining Legend

Postby Drakonis » Fri Aug 25 2017 7:16pm

Beat Zalby. Stuff happened, people leveled up, I got lucky with his double turns and entourage and no one died.

Will try to get to the battle after that soon, but can't promise I'll do it today.
Drakonis

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Shining Force II