Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force II
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Tweakforce II

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Tweakforce II

Postby Generation » Mon Jan 23 2017 6:15pm

*deep breath*

The Consensus:-
I've been told time and again to post my hack here. What originally began as something I just edited and tinkered away at for personal use garnered some attention after several creative streams where I was editing sprites for Caravan. It was merely more a proving ground to see if I could actually get any of my own visual edits into a game. I'm not a hacker by trade, so little of this will wow or interest you, but I figured this is still worth me posting.

The IPS Patch:-
https://mega.nz/#!3Vhl2TJZ!ZEvoP6NAsUrT ... V-ogF5fCgQ

The Steam Version:- (Older, can't be bugfixed like the IPS)
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =829497049

What it Changes:-
The original purpose of this hack was an attempt to make a fighting environment appropriate for promotes classes of around level 40. Playing through the game, let alone grinding the Fairy Woods grew a bit tedious for me, hence the invention of this hack. You will find that-

>Enemies give an increased reward of experience, starting from the second battle.
>Enemies will be much more challenging. The last four fights of the game especially so.
>Promotion items will be available a bit earlier than normal.
>Some character sprites, like unpromoted Kazin and Sarah, are hoodless.
>Some enemies use SFCD sprites for that SF1 feel.

If you want a real challenge:-
> Don't grind and Don't Egress.

I didn't remove Egress from the game because I believe it should be a choice, like how Nuzlocking is a choice in Pokemon.

Screenshots:-
WARNING: SPOILER!

The Bugs:-

>There is some unscrubbable leftover text after the Oddeye fight. Carvan won't work anymore and I can't fix it.
> A few enemies do not deal damage as intended. (Steam version Gargoyle/Solsower. IPS Worm, Cyclops, Volatile Ooze.)
>Zalbard has an incorrect spell.
>Evasion for knights might have an improper sprite. (Needs confirmation.)
Last edited by Generation on Mon Jan 23 2017 7:14pm, edited 1 time in total.
Generation

Re: Tweakforce II

Postby MXC » Mon Jan 23 2017 7:10pm

A new hack? Cool! When you mention the improper evasion, is that for the Force characters or enemy "knights"?

And I'm relieved that I did read this wrong and it isn't Twerkforce :shifty:
MXC

Shining Legend

Postby Generation » Mon Jan 23 2017 7:13pm

Improper evasion, sorry for not clarifying but it means the sprite used for evasion on the knights is incorrect. I believe I was told it was just the attacking sprite.
Generation

Postby ronnen » Thu Jan 26 2017 9:43pm

It's a pretty evil hack; watching NoWorries (vanilla SF2 speed world record holder at one time or another possibly currently) eek his way through his first play through was pretty hilarious.

His first attempt at the Geshp fight where Bowie got trapped on the left side while his allies died around him one by one was just too funny :)

Though, she was nice and made getting exp easy so if you get stuck, doesn't take long to gain exp.
ronnen

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Generation » Sat Jan 28 2017 10:54pm

Noworries along with a few other runners allowed me to proofread Shining Force 2's stats right to to bone, coupled with my own knowledge to make this hack as complete as it is right now. The easier experience was a decision based on the fact that you need to be 40 fairly early. I also don't believe difficulty should equate to an unessicary amount of time investment. Fairy woods grind is also a fairly dull and monotone workaround method for vanilla grinding imho (Fairy Woods right now just stands as a challenge arena of sorts). Appreciate the words.
Generation

Postby Zoidberg » Fri Feb 10 2017 11:50pm

Working my way through NoWorries' playthrough, awesome mod Zephyr!
Zoidberg

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Luggart » Wed Apr 26 2017 6:07pm

I'm not sure if this has been something addressed in the latest IPS patch, and i cant use it atm since im borrowing a friends oc to play while i housesit so i am using the Steam version. However, I can't find it anywhere in the bugs section, so i figured i'd simply bring it to your attention.

I cant say that its for sure a bug or just bad luck re: AI randomness, but both the Wizard in the fight directly left of the fairy village before Creed and the Hex Witch when REfighting the battle to the left of Hassan, they seem to favor stick smacking than ever casting spells despite their large mana pool. Is this something fixed in the latest IPS?
Luggart

Return to Shining Force II