Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force II
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Muscle Magic

Make attack power affect magic damage

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Muscle Magic

Postby ronnen » Mon Sep 12 2016 5:57pm

Here is a little hack to make current attack power (i.e. including weapon) provide bonus magic damage / healing.

Note, this WILL affect enemies as well.

Since I have not reduced the base damage of spells (this is a minimalistic patch), pre-promotion spells will ALWAYS do more damage. Post promotion spells will "tend" to do more damage, though there are some cases where the +25% from vanilla code roughly balances out (such as the single target level 4 spells, etc).

Ideally, if included in a hack of the game, you'd probably want do a few additional things which can be accomplished with SF2Edit ( But I did NOT do them, just suggestions ):
1. Slightly Nerf base damage/healing of low level spells
2. Slightly Nerf attack power of enemy casters (they tend to be over strong compared to your casters)
3. Slightly Buff base damage of single target high level spells like Blaze 4, Freeze 4, Katon 3, etc.
4. Slightly Buff base damage of SORC level 2 spells.

Code:
https://github.com/dhavard/SF2DISASM/co ... d801ed1efe

Patch:
https://github.com/dhavard/SF2DISASM/bl ... -magic.ips
ronnen

Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: Muscle Magic

Postby RedShine » Mon Sep 12 2016 8:17pm

This is an interesting hack, although I'm not sure if there would be incentive for pure casters to benefit from it (I don't see a pure caster choosing anything other than Supply Staff, Wish Staff or any kind of rod/staff that has high magic embedded into it over a high attack weapon.

That said, hybrid casters like Bowie could certainly benefit from that by putting his limited MP pool to better use (better MP to damage ratio).
RedShine

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Assassins » Mon Sep 12 2016 9:01pm

I generally leave the guardian staff equipped to my casters all game
The failblood.

On the battlefield, when everything is chaos/ you have nothing but the way you feel, your strategy and a sword/ just think of the life you'll have together after the war
The failblood.

On the battlefield, when everything is chaos/ you have nothing but the way you feel, your strategy and a sword/ just think of the life you'll have together after the war
Assassins

Mentat
Shining Legend

Postby ronnen » Mon Sep 12 2016 9:04pm

It is more about providing a more gradual and meaningful power growth curve for mages over the course of the game rather than a sudden boost at promotion, and then nothing for the rest of the game other than spell levels. Especially for MAGE/WIZ as their level 3 spells (which are their best spell for a large portion of the game) are underwhelming compared to enemy HP levels imo.

It's less about making the weapon choice more meaningful (though it does discourage just completely ignoring upgrading mage weapons save for special weapons at end of the game... which to be honest, is what I do most of the time... without a hack like this in place).
ronnen

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby RedShine » Mon Sep 12 2016 9:35pm

@Assassins: I forgot about the Guardian Staff; nice reminder and I bet Taya would need about 4 of those if it was possible to equip 4 slots just to avoid being one shot all the time haha.

@Ronnen I see what you mean, but maybe the net gain for casters would be greater in the long run if Lv3 spells were made better for their cost, as well.
RedShine

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby ronnen » Mon Sep 12 2016 9:57pm

RedShine wrote:@Assassins:
@Ronnen I see what you mean, but maybe the net gain for casters would be greater in the long run if Lv3 spells were made better for their cost, as well.

Which is more the realm of SF2Edit, and certainly something worth tinkering with along with my other suggestions for use with this patch. ^_^

I would also note that increasing the base damage of the level 3 WIZ spells by 2x near end game (which this patch does all by itself due to stats and even store equipment), certainly makes them more mana efficient...

I just wanted to make a "tool" that didn't exist to my knowledge elsewhere that would help in people creating a more interesting experience with SF2.
ronnen

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby RedShine » Mon Sep 12 2016 11:07pm

ronnen wrote:I would also note that increasing the base damage of the level 3 WIZ spells by 2x near end game (which this patch does all by itself due to stats and even store equipment), certainly makes them more mana efficient...

I just wanted to make a "tool" that didn't exist to my knowledge elsewhere that would help in people creating a more interesting experience with SF2.

This certainly has my approval, as I eventually intend to attempt a very crazy caster only run in SF2 and these changes would be welcome ^.^

Edit: this would probably require a 12-Man Marathon version that kept battle balance untouched, now that I think about it. I wonder if Stor would eventually make it.
RedShine

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby SirHedge » Tue Jan 17 2017 8:54am

EDIT: Never mind. The patch documentation wasn't clear, but your original post was. For reference, I was wondering if the patch changed magic damage calculation both pre and post-promotion.
SirHedge

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby ronnen » Tue Jan 17 2017 3:05pm

Yes, basically I used the space occupied by the "if post promoted mult magic by 25%" to write code that said "increase magic damage by portion of strength"
ronnen

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby MCRT » Sun Apr 02 2017 7:47am

ronnen wrote:Yes, basically I used the space occupied by the "if post promoted mult magic by 25%" to write code that said "increase magic damage by portion of strength"

With strength you mean the equipped attack stat or the base attack stat? If it is the former I guess this will turn the MMNKs into better healer and blast user than the VICRs :shifty:
MCRT

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby SirHedge » Sun Apr 02 2017 3:33pm

It includes the weapon bonuses, so yes, Master Monks would be absurdly strong and would have to be re-balanced. It is meant more for custom hacks than a quick change to the core game.
SirHedge

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby MCRT » Tue Apr 04 2017 11:58am

ah ok, I just have seen it in the first post :damnit:
Yeah, seems really like something for hacks, too bad, I was hoping of something to spice up a regular run a bit.

Are there any goods hacks that used this?
MCRT

Shining Member
Shining Member

Return to Shining Force II