Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force II
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

SF2 Hero Palette Expansion Patch

Figured it was about time

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

SF2 Hero Palette Expansion Patch

Postby Stordarth » Sat Dec 05 2015 1:14am

Over the years, I've had many requests from people looking to start new hacks, and one of the most common ones is expanding certain character's available colour palettes. Given that the version of the editor that has this functionality is only available in unreleased source code, and requires installations of various python modules to even get it to run, releasing it is problematic. Plus, it's not my work, and I don't feel it's my place to make it widely available. So instead, I've always made it known to ask me to do it for them. But lately, I've not been around nearly as much and I'm consistently busier than I used to be.

So I decided to release a patch so people can do it at their leisure.

It expands the number of palettes for every hero sprite to 4. Simple. This should be more than enough to get most kickstarted with their custom roms with regards to hero sprites. If there are any people that need more than that, I'm still available to do those - or maybe make the patch larger.

As every request I can remember has been to add hero palettes, this one focuses on just heroes. If people think it would be helpful, I could make another patch for just monsters, and maybe a combined patch if desired.

As usual, you'll need an IPS patching program.

DISCLAIMER: I have only tested this by opening the rom in the caravan to check if the palettes are blank and not garbled. It shouldn't cause any issues, but I don't have the time to extensively test it. Back up your originals.

Additionally, this is intended to be applied to a clean, 4MB expanded rom. Applying it to roms that have already had palette data altered, or use more advanced ASM hacks that relocate data and shift pointers are not likely to work as intended.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Re: SF2 Hero Palette Expansion Patch

Postby Shining Max » Sat Dec 05 2015 1:33am

Thanks a lot ! This is great !
Shining Max

Postby Earl » Sat Dec 05 2015 7:07am

Thanks, Stor.

I learned a while back how the battle sprite data was laid out, but adding palettes manually was one of those "No. Just... no" things. As a player, 30 characters is awesome. For editing, it can be tedious... even to change one damn character.
Earl

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Wulfunruh » Mon Jan 16 2017 12:26am

...so I have this new palette, the battle sprite imported...HOWEVER... when I test it, it still is referencing the original palette. I'm not looking for someone to hack the game for me, but...point me in the direction please. I see there's referencing to code. I'm not sure which language this is, what to look for, and with what program to change it. Can someone give me the old ABC blocks to play with, that should be all I need to start building on this knowledge.
Wulfunruh

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Wulfunruh » Mon Jan 16 2017 5:12pm

This is awesome. I'm able to import a new battle sprite with a new palette into the Caravan... However, it seems to reference the original palette and the new sprite. What could be happening? Also, has anyone gone straight to the source and edited the original palettes through hex? Are there complications? When I'm off work I wanted to attempt it.
Wulfunruh

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Stordarth » Tue Jan 17 2017 6:42am

Adding the new palette and sprite only adds the colour and sprite information to the rom. It doesn't change which palette slot a given character uses, so here's what you do:

1. Import custom palette (and sprite if you're changing the way the character looks)
2. Note which palette slot your new palette is occupying. It will be 0, 1, 2 or 3.
3. Note the battle sprite number you are editing.
4. Download (if you haven't already) SF2 Edit by Spaceking (Check the Hack Library sticky topic for it).
5. Save all changes in the caravan.
6. Open SF2 Edit and load your rom into it.
7. Select Edit > Character Stats
8. Locate the character and class you want to edit in the dropdown list. They'll be written in the format [Name Number] where Number is 1 for unpromoted, 2 for promoted, and 3 in the case of an alternate promotion.
9. At the bottom of the edit window, you'll see Battle Sprite, with two boxes labeled Model and Palette. Change the model to match the battle sprite number you noted earlier, and do the same with the palette number.
10. Save changes in SF2 Edit.
11. Test your changes. Your new sprite should have the new palette.

IMPORTANT: If you wish to switch back to the caravan to edit another sprite or palette, ALWAYS REOPEN THE ROM IN THE CARAVAN AFTER SAVING IN SF2 EDIT! AND VICE VERSA. Seriously. The amount of times I made changes that didn't take because I was sloppy and forgot to do this are innumerable.
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Wulfunruh » Tue Jan 17 2017 10:52am

That's perfect. Thank you. We're the new palettes and sprites able to be added due to new "tables" being introduced? I'm reading all I can to understand this, and I think I'm starting to put certain pieces together.
Wulfunruh

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Stordarth » Tue Jan 17 2017 10:23pm

Basically the caravan adds new space and shifts stuff around, allowing tables to be expanded to some degree.
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby greyskies » Thu Jan 26 2017 10:23am

By the way, Stordarth, do you think there's a chance we'll ever see a palette expansion for the overland sprites/maps? Has anyone ever looked into this?
Check out Return to Grans - A Shining Force II hack which features a completely
reworked story, numerous visual improvements, and tons of balance changes.

Also available as storymode hack only.

greyskies

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby DiegoMM » Thu Jan 26 2017 2:54pm

The overland sprites dont use palletes, so it cant be extended, each sprite is a diferent sprite, even if it looks the same sprite with another palette, so the only way would be add more overland sprites slots.
Interesting articles about true things shining: http://www.everystudent.com/
Interesting articles about true things shining: http://www.everystudent.com/
DiegoMM

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby greyskies » Thu Jan 26 2017 4:59pm

Yes, you're of course correct.
What I meant is that there's, what? 15? colors available for overland sprites and maps, and I was wondering if anyone has ever looked into increasing that number (or what I rather confusingly referred to as "expanding the palette" in an effort to somehow connect to the topic. Although this is not really related at all, I guess. My apologies).

greyskies

Shining Member
Shining Member

Return to Shining Force II