Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force II
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Noma's SF2 Balance/Challenge Hack v0.2

Download Working!

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Noma's SF2 Balance/Challenge Hack v0.2

Postby Noma » Sat Mar 01 2014 4:59pm

Clearly, this has been done to death. Most of the mods on here a rebalances and/or challenge mods. This is just my spin on it. Many characters that were not viable should be useful throughout the game now (Kiwi, Wizard Kazin, etc etc). Every character should be able to stack up with those who are considered 'High tier' among veteran players. This is just something I did on a whim, and because I've become burnt out on All Stars, I needed a break from it for a little. I have not abandoned All Stars, I just needed to put it aside for a little bit.

Mostly, the changes to characters stats and spells are small, if the character has been touched at all. There was some minor tweaking on most of the characters, but some got overhauls (Namely Peter and Kiwi, but you know why.) New spells were created and added to different classes. If you play this, you'll see what I mean. I don't want to ruin everything by posting every single change here. Just a summary of what I've done. This only took me like 6 hours to make, and has NOT, I repeat, NOT been beta or bug tested. So beware. If a few people would like to Beta/bug test, feel free. If you're not willing to play for a few hours and possibly lose progress because the game crashes for some reason, then just wait until I or other members have time to play through and see if there are any problems.

This hack does not use Stordarth's Milestone/marathon man as a base. It uses a normal, original game, so walking around and such are still in the game. I will eventually release a patch that works with Milestone for those who want to skip the tedious walking bits, but for now I'll leave it as is.

When playing this, be sure to set difficulty to Ouch or below (preferably Ouch). The lower modes have enemies buffed higher than Super mode in the original game, so choosing super in this hack WILL get you one shotted by basically everything in the game right from the start. And that's not fun. Every enemy has been buffed, some more than others, but mostly they were routinely buffed a certain percentage in every stat, some characters being exceptions and having different stats buffed more than others, mostly for flavor. Many enemies, for instance, have had their Agility lowered, about 50% of them actually. Some have had their Movement lowered, some have had theirs increased in turn.

Items that were removed or replaced are as follows:
Shining Ball -> Orb of Power, Increases Attack and a small amount of defense, works as a ring, casts Attack.
Blizzard - > Mote of Healing, Increases Defense, and a small amount of agility, works as a ring, casts Aura 1.
Holy Thunder -> Anger Essence, increases Movement by 1, but decreases Agility by 5. Works as a ring, casts Raijin 1
Running Ring now also adds +4 Agility and can cast Egress (untested)
White Ring now also adds +8 Agility
All cursed rings/weapons have had curse removed, instead they lower some stats, examples:
Black Ring increases Attack by 12, lowers Defense by 6
Evil Ring increases Attack by 18, lowers Agility by 18
Evil Knuckles Increase Attack by 65, the highest in the game, but lowers Defense by 15. Also casts Desoul 1 (untested)
Evil Axe increases Attack by 60, the highest in the game, but lowers defense by 15. Also casts Blast 4
Evil shot has the same attack and lowered defense as Evil Axe, does not cast anything when used.
Dark Sword has the same attack and lowered defense as Evil Knuckles, and also still casts Desoul 1.
There are other 'cursed' weapons, but regular curse status is very annoying and makes people not want to use the items at all. I think lowered stats is enough of a sacrifice if you want the stronger weapons in the game.

Some equipment is now equippable by more classes, for example, the Force Sword can be equipped in any sword user, as can the Levanter. Some equipment casts different spells, the Levanter casts Katon 2 instead of Blaze 3, for example.

I could go on and on, but I think that about sums it up. If anyone plays this, let me know how it goes! And please, feel free to use characters you may not normally use because they're not as good as some others. All the characters should be viable, but since this is untested, I cant really be sure until multiple playthroughs are done. I just don't have the time to really do them myself.

As an aside, this hack has the 3 digits mod installed as well.

Enjoy!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Noma on Thu Mar 06 2014 9:11am, edited 4 times in total.
All-Stars Mod: WIP, Revived! Check it out!
Noma

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: Noma's SF2 Balance/Challenge Hack

Postby SaCred » Sat Mar 01 2014 5:07pm

Ahaha is this new ? Looks interesting but I will give SF2 a break for now. :)
Minister - Don't worry about him. If he dies, it doesn't matter. He's old anyway.
Minister - Don't worry about him. If he dies, it doesn't matter. He's old anyway.
SaCred

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Noma » Sat Mar 01 2014 5:13pm

It is new xD I just posted it a few minutes ago, I literally did it this morning. Took me 5 hours or so.
Noma

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby SirHedge » Sat Mar 01 2014 6:04pm

I tried to use the patch and it didn't seem to work. The rom was the same before and after, and I noticed that patch itself was only 1k, which is unusually small.
SirHedge

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby SaCred » Sat Mar 01 2014 6:47pm

5 hours to make mod? :D what is it based off? 12MM?
SaCred

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Noma » Sun Mar 02 2014 4:50am

SirHedge wrote:I tried to use the patch and it didn't seem to work. The rom was the same before and after, and I noticed that patch itself was only 1k, which is unusually small.

I may have uploaded the wrong version. I dont have access to the PC at the moment, so Ill fix it when I have the chance.

Sacred, as I mentioned above, it is not based on milestone or 12 MM. It is based on the normal game.

I need to update a couple things anyway, so maybe its better that I botched the upload, lol.

As an aside, I have played most of the hacks posted in these forums, including yours Hedge. There may or may not be similar added spells are things like that that are remarkably similar to other mods. It was not my intention to steal, but some ideas likely influenced how I updated some things, so if you see something similar to another hack you know, just let me know so I can credit the original creator with the idea/influence. I honestly dont remember the specifics of everything Ive played, so any similarities are unintentional but its totally possible they exist.
Noma

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: Noma's SF2 Balance/Challenge Hack v0.1

Postby SaCred » Sun Mar 02 2014 9:04pm

okay :) sounds good, so is Super the hardest or Ouch?
SaCred

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: Noma's SF2 Balance/Challenge Hack v0.1

Postby Noma » Mon Mar 03 2014 2:10am

SaCred wrote:okay :) sounds good, so is Super the hardest or Ouch?

Super is the hardest, but don't play it on that. It will be too difficult.

Patch should work now. Also updated some things.
Noma

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: Noma's SF2 Balance/Challenge Hack v0.2

Postby SaCred » Tue Mar 04 2014 10:13pm

Well i like a challenge :D possible to finish it with 8-9 characters on Super?
SaCred

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Kilroy » Tue Mar 04 2014 10:44pm

I'll have to look at this once I'm done with Battle Royale.
Qu'est-ce que sup, homies?
Qu'est-ce que sup, homies?
Kilroy

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby SaCred » Tue Mar 04 2014 10:48pm

Okay :) Let me know how it goes lol.
SaCred

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Noma » Thu Mar 06 2014 12:52am

Sacred: I don't think it'd be to fair. The beginning is probably doable with a bit of leveling. Gizmos normally start with 10 on super mode in vanilla. In the mod, Gizmos on Normal start with 12. Super adds +25% to base attack. Which means Gizmos will have 14 attack (give or take, I'm not sure how the game works with demicals but I'd assume things are truncated.). That means Bowie will barely get away with not getting 1 shotted, as he has 12 Hp and 4 def at the start of the game. Nevermind battle 2, where Rats likely have roughly 18 attack on super and will one shot anyone on your Force if they're not leveled. And it's down hill from there.

Try it on normal. If you are a power level nut (which is just fine) or do level 40 promos, this should still be playable end game and not be too easy, but then the viability of late game characters in comparison goes out the window (in the case of 40 promos, as with vanilla).
Noma

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby SaCred » Thu Mar 06 2014 12:56am

Awright :) I will give it a go after i finish Battle Royale for the 2nd time :D
SaCred

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Stordarth » Thu Mar 06 2014 2:06am

Noma wrote:Sacred: I don't think it'd be to fair. The beginning is probably doable with a bit of leveling. Gizmos normally start with 10 on super mode in vanilla. In the mod, Gizmos on Normal start with 12. Super adds +25% to base attack. Which means Gizmos will have 14 attack (give or take, I'm not sure how the game works with demicals but I'd assume things are truncated.). That means Bowie will barely get away with not getting 1 shotted, as he has 12 Hp and 4 def at the start of the game. Nevermind battle 2, where Rats likely have roughly 18 attack on super and will one shot anyone on your Force if they're not leveled. And it's down hill from there.

Try it on normal. If you are a power level nut (which is just fine) or do level 40 promos, this should still be playable end game and not be too easy, but then the viability of late game characters in comparison goes out the window (in the case of 40 promos, as with vanilla).

I think you should rename this to Noma's Unblanced Hack, looking at those numbers. :g:
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby SaCred » Thu Mar 06 2014 2:07am

HAAH Imbalanced Hack :D
SaCred

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Noma » Thu Mar 06 2014 9:05am

The characters are balanced, the enemies are just hard ;)

I will likely tone down the difficulty slightly once I get some feedback, I'd rather people say "This is nearly impossible" than "It was harder but still not really that hard." I feel like toning down the difficulty would be easier for me than increasing it.

Keep in mind I listed attack powers above, I said nothing about other enemy stats, which have also been changed fairly dramatically as the game progresses. And, as mentioned, play on Normal/Ouch. Super will just be a grindfest in order to keep your characters alive at all.
Noma

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby SaCred » Mon Mar 10 2014 12:56am

So you think i should play this? :) 1 hit kills on Super T_T;;
SaCred

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Noma » Mon Mar 10 2014 1:51am

SaCred wrote:So you think i should play this? :) 1 hit kills on Super T_T;;

Just don't play on super!

Normal is Super on this. The enemies are stronger on Normal in my mod than Vanillas Super.
Noma

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby SaCred » Mon Mar 10 2014 1:52am

lol okay :) I will get a few guys and play this when i can then. You finished it already?
SaCred

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Noma » Mon Mar 10 2014 2:09am

SaCred wrote:lol okay :) I will get a few guys and play this when i can then. You finished it already?

Yes. If you want to play it with battle only, milestone or 12MM, you'll have to wait til I release those versions.

I will be updating it and tweaking things but only based on player feedback.

If you run into glitches, errors, or think a character is way too strong/weak, let me know. It would be good to keep a record of stats for every character you use. Stats for every 5 levels would be useful to me. But its not necessary.
Noma

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Next

Return to Shining Force II