Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force II
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Aldur's Hack reviews part 1!

hirsute steps up to bat! Major Hack spoilers

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Aldur's Hack reviews part 1!

Postby Aldur » Sun Jan 08 2012 4:15pm

Well since I get bored easily I'm playing through various hacks and I'm going to just have a wee proper of them for ya all. I'm starting with Hirsutes. I'm currently in North Parmecia so I'll review twice since this is the halfway point.

And I'll be using 4 categories which include Interest, Difficulty+Challenge, Difference from Original, And Character balance, since these tend to be the four areas changed by hacks.

So lets begin.

Overall:

In Hirsute's hack, spells, stats, and characters are moved around and changed which creates some unique advantages and disadvantages. The max before promotion level is 20 which hinders centaurs you want to promote to Pegasus Knight quite horribly as there's around 5-6 battles they can only fall behind in. As such I have no PGKT as I didn't really want to deal with that extra levelling, especially since if you're familiar with this hack Egress is removed. While the creed characters come with 4 brave apples to compensate for them only being level 20, in the case of Eric this doesn't actually help the level delay if you wish to make him a pegasus knight so while they may be better or more fun than the original since I can't really sit back and level at any point they are a null class. I would suggest maybe having Rick come with a Pegasus wing to offset this? That means you can have a pegasus knight at a viable level. This is the only glaring oversight to me personally. I figured I should point it out though before I go into categories.

Interest

WARNING: SPOILER!

4/5 stars so far.

Difficulty and Challenge:

3/5 stars. If I was judging on mid to late game alone however this would probably change.

Differences:

5/5 stars.

Character Balance: I have so much to say here as some characters are amazing but other leave me quite sad. I'll go into who I have so far with a brief point or two.

Balance: Some characters most noteably the early game centaurs I'd argue could use more work, except Eric. He's going to be good no matter what but I'd argue for an early placed Pegasus wing. Randolf got the boot as he doesn't seem to be worth taking at all, the editted Peter is a fun concept and overall I'd say they're all balanced...(Except Centaurs.)

4/5

That's it so far. Imma finish Moun and stuff and then after I finish I'll update this. Mega kudos though Hirsute buddy! This is mucho fun. Also, if anyone wants me to review their hack next please just say so. Otherwise I'll pick one.
MDMG Alex's gay jokes counter: 3

Aldur: Finally it's just us in here
Aldur: lets have wild passionate cyber rp
omega entity: mmm
omega entity: cyber RP

Ri3mannZeta: I LOVE YOU HGUYS BECAUSE YOU ARE ALL HUMANS
omega entity: lol
geddis the hero: Z what
Ri3mannZeta: what up aldur
Ri3mannZeta: you are cool as f**k
Ri3mannZeta): ;,fap
Ri3mannZeta: i love you guysd so much

TheUnknownMarine: Man I don't like the feel of this.
VoxPVoxD: take it out of your butt

Kalos Krystalpaw EXP: 57650/55000
62/62HP, 29AC, 15AC flat footed, 18 AC touch, Spell Resistance: 22, Fort+12 Reflex+14, Will+16
Energy Resistance Acid, Cold, Elec, Sonic and fire: 10. DR: 5/magic
24 hour Invocations: See the Unseen, Beguiling Influence

0 personal GP

0th: 6/6, 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8 3rd: 5/5

62/62HP, 29AC, 15AC flat footed, 18 AC touch, Spell Resistance: 22, Fort+12 Reflex+14, Will+16

0 personal GP

Aldur

FABULOUS
Shining Legend

Re: Aldur's Hack reviews part 1!

Postby SirHedge » Mon Jan 09 2012 3:45am

First off, thanks for doing this. It's beneficial from a designer perspective to get a fleshed our review like this over the usual small comments people give. Even assigning a number can be helpful (no matter how prone to error it might be) since it allows you to say negative things while still getting your point across that you really liked it (or visa versa).

Secondly, mind explaining your view of your system? Is three intended to be average, and if so, average against what benchmark? Or is it more that if it's a five it's probably good and nothing needs to be worked on it, three it needs some serious changes, and one it needs to be completely redone? Under that system I'd say that you wouldn't suggest any more changes versus the original SF2 need to be made, the early game difficulty needs to be reworked, and while there should be some tweaks here and there for the characters the general make-up for them is satisfactory.

Thirdly, do you mind if we ask questions concerning the hack? The thing that always worried me with Hirsute's hack is the difficulty in leveling your front line characters (do their abysmal attack) and the difficulty in keeping your magic users alive (due to them being one shotted by anything with range). It sounded as though you encountered this somewhat but on the whole it wasn't a problem. Did you feel as though the change in enemy stats fixed this? Or equipment? Or is it just that I'm dumb and reading too much into the stats Hirsute provided?

And lastly,
Aldur wrote:Luke: Finally, a Luke with no LOL BIRDS GET BLAST WHEEEE mentality.

Aldur wrote:Skreech: A birdy with Blast and good stats. He seems good so far. No complaints as yet.

I laughed at that.
SirHedge

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Aldur » Mon Jan 09 2012 3:57am

Three is average, so while it's ok, it could use work.

Also, it's not that hard to level front liners that I've noticed, I mean it's there to an extent, but using them as walls in tandem with your glass mages who get lots of AoE Exp means you can just sweep up with the front liners and it works well. Also, Slow+Attack assist tremendously and are good spell choices now. Enemies feel tougher in the late game, not easier.

I meant with Skreech I'd already discussed the blast and Birdmen thing. It makes sense to give to Peter since he's an avatar of a god but really looking at it, why would they learn it really? They're not mages.

0 personal GP

0 personal GP

Aldur

FABULOUS
Shining Legend

Postby Hirsute » Mon Jan 09 2012 4:46am

First off, wow. Thanks for the review. It feels really good to see someone put in all this time to review something that I spend many many hours working on.

Aldur wrote:Overall:

In Hirsute's hack, spells, stats, and characters are moved around and changed which creates some unique advantages and disadvantages. The max before promotion level is 20 which hinders centaurs you want to promote to Pegasus Knight quite horribly as there's around 5-6 battles they can only fall behind in. As such I have no PGKT as I didn't really want to deal with that extra levelling, especially since if you're familiar with this hack Egress is removed. While the creed characters come with 4 brave apples to compensate for them only being level 20, in the case of Eric this doesn't actually help the level delay if you wish to make him a pegasus knight so while they may be better or more fun than the original since I can't really sit back and level at any point they are a null class. I would suggest maybe having Rick come with a Pegasus wing to offset this? That means you can have a pegasus knight at a viable level. This is the only glaring oversight to me personally. I figured I should point it out though before I go into categories.

It's honestly been a while since I looked at this, but you should be able to be able to buy Pegasus Wings in New Granseal after Creeds. If you can't, it's a error because that's how I had intended it. Giving Rick a Pegasus Wing is an option too, although that might feel too much like telling the player what to do, which I'd rather avoid.

Difficulty and Challenge:

3/5 stars. If I was judging on mid to late game alone however this would probably change.

Character Balance: I have so much to say here as some characters are amazing but other leave me quite sad. I'll go into who I have so far with a brief point or two.

Hirsute's comments in bold:

Balance: Some characters most noteably the early game centaurs I'd argue could use more work, except Eric. He's going to be good no matter what but I'd argue for an early placed Pegasus wing. Randolf got the boot as he doesn't seem to be worth taking at all, the editted Peter is a fun concept and overall I'd say they're all balanced...(Except Centaurs.)

4/5

That's it so far. Imma finish Moun and stuff and then after I finish I'll update this. Mega kudos though Hirsute buddy! This is mucho fun. Also, if anyone wants me to review their hack next please just say so. Otherwise I'll pick one.

Thanks again Aldur. I'm so so glad you're enjoying it. Reading things like this make all the work worthwhile. I didn't make the mod to play myself - I made it for people like you!
"...the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Bill Watterson, Calvin & Hobbes

Aldur wrote:Oh my god Hirsute, you're a sadistic bastard.

Hirsute's Shining Force 2 Mod
Every battle redesigned. Characters rebalanced. Fun increased. Try it now!
"...the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

Hirsute

Emperor of Canada
Shining Legend

Postby Stordarth » Mon Jan 09 2012 2:40pm

Indeed, this is a nice idea.

Aldur and I were talking quite a bit about this yesterday. Stuff like this, when you can see your hard work being appreciated - it does inspire. I finally got off my ass to fix the Lemon sprite bug and battle sprite palette bugs during spell casting in the 12 man, and am about to do the same to milestone.

Code: Select all
Dice Codes
Attack/Marked Target: /roll 8d100
Damage Variance (Rebels): /roll d18 [Blake with Blade], /roll d26 [Other cases.]
Damage Variance (Emissaries): /roll d16 [Zuberi with Blade], /roll d21 [Rain with Katana, Thrald with Blade], /roll d26 [Other cases.]
Magic: /roll d26
Status Effects: /roll d100
Level-Ups (No/Fixed MP): /roll 4d11
Level-Ups (Has MP): /roll 5d11

---
SFCW-A: Durandar
Sunken Castle: Fintan Kahn

Dice Codes
Damage Variance (Rebels): /roll d18 [Blake with Blade], /roll d26 [Other cases.]
Damage Variance (Emissaries): /roll d16 [Zuberi with Blade], /roll d21 [Rain with Katana, Thrald with Blade], /roll d26 [Other cases.]

---
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Aldur » Mon Jan 09 2012 3:25pm

0 personal GP

0 personal GP

Aldur

FABULOUS
Shining Legend

Postby Stordarth » Tue Jan 10 2012 12:18am

*punt*

Dice Codes

---

Dice Codes

---
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Aldur » Tue Jan 10 2012 1:04am

Completed. I have to say, the late game was an exquisite challenge. Before I get into it, I'll finish off my character analysis before taking each boss battle and explaining why I liked/didn't like them.

Bosses:

Kraken:

Taros:

Zalberd:

Cameela:

Red Baron:

Gesph:

Oddeye:

King Galam:

Zeon:

Overall: I rate this hack 4.5 out of 5. Because while there are some issues that detract from it, I'd say it's immensely fun from beginning to end. In the beginning as you realise all the chances, to the mid game when you're considering who to promote to what, to the late game where you really have to think or get destroyed. Kudos.

And for fun? I'm going to show my final team and comment on them as they're my staple force, and end game thoughts on them!

Bowie:

Sarah:

Kazin:

Peter:

Tyrin:

Janet:

Higgins:

Jaro:

Frayja:

Gyan:

Sheela:

So that's me. It was really good Hirsute, I'd say well done. As for the Pegasus wing thing mentioned earlier I didn't realise it was there as I don't tend to check item shops, but I'd argue that by having it there it really is forcing you to choose Eric as your Peg Knight as Chester and Rick will be 4-5 levels below everyone else and not have the brave apples he comes with to offset it. Maybe make them buyable in Hassan after Taros instead?

I've addressed all the gripes, but the Prism flowers battle, due to them being moved around etc won't fire or do anything, but they still respawn, thereby allowing infinite exp in a game that removed powerlevelling so you may want to look at that.

Other than that I'd reccomend this to EVERYONE. Seriously. Go play it. So whose Hack is next again? =D

0 personal GP

0 personal GP

Aldur

FABULOUS
Shining Legend

Postby Hirsute » Tue Jan 10 2012 3:56am

Aldur you have made my day, week, and probably month. Thank you so much for the review!

I may have to dust off the old SF2Edit and get cracking on the next version of this so you'll have another one to review!

I'm really glad all the bugs didn't take away from the fun.

Hirsute

Emperor of Canada
Shining Legend

Postby Stordarth » Tue Jan 10 2012 2:11pm

Aldur, since you're open, I offer you the patched 12 man marathon. Since its initial release, I've fixed almost all of the bugs, and all of the overpowered growths of the pre-promoteds' unpromoted stats, fixed the magic-palette-screwing bug on the new character palettes, redone some of the palettes to look more natural (Zynk's was god awful, and has been made considerably better), and finally fixed the 'Dude (looks like a Golem)' bug affecting Lemon's RDBN map sprite.

The only bug I'm aware of that I have no idea how to fix is the Slade Death bug at the end of battle 5. If you use Slade, and he dies there, you will need to reset and try again.

Dice Codes

---

Dice Codes

---
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Aldur » Tue Jan 10 2012 4:31pm

Yup. I think galam is a bitch and jaro is amazing. Stor is next then. I'll get to it in the next few days and encourage people to do what I've been doing with the reviews. I hope this inspires people to play these fun. Hacks

0 personal GP

0 personal GP

Aldur

FABULOUS
Shining Legend

Postby Stordarth » Tue Jan 10 2012 5:09pm

Hit me up on Pidgin for the latest version. I haven't gotten round to posting an updated patch yet.

Dice Codes

---

Dice Codes

---
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Hirsute » Wed Jan 11 2012 9:52am

Aldur, your review inspired me to make a few small changes to my mod, mostly with regards to the boss battles you reviewed. No more easy Zeon :devil:

Hirsute

Emperor of Canada
Shining Legend

Postby Aldur » Wed Jan 11 2012 4:09pm

Hirsute wrote:Aldur, your review inspired me to make a few small changes to my mod, mostly with regards to the boss battles you reviewed. No more easy Zeon :devil:

Excellent. =)

0 personal GP

0 personal GP

Aldur

FABULOUS
Shining Legend

Postby nightshade00123 » Wed Jan 11 2012 4:40pm

I think it's nice what your doing aldur, people have spent alot of time making the few that are available and not everybody post their thoughts and reviews about them. And not only that you are taking requests to review others as well.

Keep it up. :)
nightshade00123

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Antman 537 » Wed Jan 11 2012 11:07pm

Hmm... I think I'm gonna have to try that hack now, it sounds pretty awesome. Excellent review Aldur :thumbsup:
Antman 537

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Aldur » Thu Jan 12 2012 1:08pm

Also on further critical reflection Hirsute you need to think about Sorcerors again. Keeping their first two spells without growth makes them horribly underpowered and effectively means that they only end up with 2 useful spells compared to a Wizard/Vicar's 4.

0 personal GP

0 personal GP

Aldur

FABULOUS
Shining Legend

Postby Drakonis » Thu Jan 12 2012 3:31pm

Excellent idea Aldur. Also reminds that I should get back to working on my hack after I finish my last paper tomorrow. I feel like I finished like 3/4ths of it and then just stopped when uni stuff got real again. And thats not acceptable.
Drakonis

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Hirsute » Thu Jan 12 2012 7:35pm

Aldur wrote:Also on further critical reflection Hirsute you need to think about Sorcerors again. Keeping their first two spells without growth makes them horribly underpowered and effectively means that they only end up with 2 useful spells compared to a Wizard/Vicar's 4.

Do you think I should allow their first two spells to continue to develop? I'm pretty set on them never losing spells, because that makes no sense to me. I'm just worried that if they keep their original spell development for their first two slots then they would be too good.

Hirsute

Emperor of Canada
Shining Legend

Postby Stordarth » Fri Jan 13 2012 12:10am

If the two spells are both offensive, give them level 3, but not level 4?

Dice Codes

---

Dice Codes

---
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Next

Return to Shining Force II