Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force II
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Shining Force 2: Milestone Edition-12 Man Marathon

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Re: Shining Force 2: Milestone Edition-12 Man Marathon

Postby Jonesy_Pants » Wed Oct 25 2017 5:46am

all good, ive been patiently checking occasionally to see if i got approved.
Since my first post i finished my first playthrough and had an absolute blast, now working my second playthrough with characters ive never used before.
Is there an issue with characters not learning spells after promotion? i promoted Karna at 40 and she is now at 18 and still only at aura 1?
Jonesy_Pants

Postby YoreyC » Tue May 15 2018 5:56pm

nevermind
YoreyC

Postby Aynek » Thu Jul 05 2018 6:49pm

Started up a new run of SF2 after a few year hiatus and decided to give this one a playthrough since i never got around it to before. All goes well so far until i had to do my first repeat battle(can't be having any deaths now can we?) at Taros.

WARNING: SPOILER!
Aynek

Postby Stordarth » Sat Aug 10 2019 4:11am

Aynek wrote:Started up a new run of SF2 after a few year hiatus and decided to give this one a playthrough since i never got around it to before. All goes well so far until i had to do my first repeat battle(can't be having any deaths now can we?) at Taros.

WARNING: SPOILER!

:evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin:

Honestly, I was just messing around with it. I figured I'd be cheeky and hide a soul sower. Then I asked myself "Hmmm. I wonder if it'd load with two enemies on the same tile... I bet it doesn't..."

It did. :evilgrin:

Code: Select all
Dice Codes
Attack/Marked Target: /roll 8d100
Damage Variance (Rebels): /roll d18 [Blake with Blade], /roll d26 [Other cases.]
Damage Variance (Emissaries): /roll d16 [Zuberi with Blade], /roll d21 [Rain with Katana, Thrald with Blade], /roll d26 [Other cases.]
Magic: /roll d26
Status Effects: /roll d100
Level-Ups (No/Fixed MP): /roll 4d11
Level-Ups (Has MP): /roll 5d11

---
SFCW-A: Durandar
Sunken Castle: Fintan Kahn

Dice Codes
Damage Variance (Rebels): /roll d18 [Blake with Blade], /roll d26 [Other cases.]
Damage Variance (Emissaries): /roll d16 [Zuberi with Blade], /roll d21 [Rain with Katana, Thrald with Blade], /roll d26 [Other cases.]

---
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Jonesy_Pants » Wed Aug 14 2019 8:03am

i always wondered where second soul sower came from.

did anyone find an answer to my original question above. about some characters not learning spells after promotion?
Jonesy_Pants

Postby Stordarth » Wed Aug 14 2019 4:14pm

Yeah I know why. It's because you promoted at level 40. Happens in the vanilla game too.

The spell progressions are (with the exception of the summons), blind to promotion state. So since the game expects you to promote at 20, the spell levels are spaced with that in mind, and when you are promoted, the game treats you as if you were level 20 when you promoted. So what's happened is, you've levelled to 40, and earned spells that you would have gained if you'd promoted at 20 and then gained the first 20 levels of promotion. Then you promoted, so the game thinks you're level 20 unpromoted. So because you've already learned all the spells you would have gotten for your 18 promoted levels, there's nothing else for you to learn until you get to level 21 promoted, since by then the game will see you as level 41 total, and resume the spell progression as normal.

Dice Codes

---

Dice Codes

---
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Previous

Return to Shining Force II