Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force II
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Shining Tactics

It's been a lot of work.

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Re: Shining Tactics

Postby Dark Claw » Thu Nov 11 2010 11:13pm

Yeah the Zeon battle wasn't meant to be easy you have to use a very precise strategy to beat him.

If you get really stuck please send me a PM and I will tell you.
Shining Tactics

Check it out you won't be disappointed.

:mwahaha:
Shining Tactics

Check it out you won't be disappointed.

:mwahaha:
Dark Claw

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby freddwzz » Thu Feb 10 2011 11:50pm

Heh some question for you OP .

Are there any hidden item in different location than the normal SF2 version ? I don't wanna miss out anything :)
And thanks for the great mod ! Some battles are really hard and challenging .
freddwzz

Postby Dark Claw » Fri Feb 11 2011 5:00pm

Yes, the item arrangements at the Monk's Shrine, Underground Yeel, and the Blacksmith's village have been moved around so check every pot, table, and fireplace.
Dark Claw

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Evil Spilit » Tue Mar 01 2011 4:17pm

I'd really like to give this a try... but for some reason I can't get the patch to work. I'm using Lunar IPS with Shining Force 2 (U) [!].bin and running in Gens. Is there anything else I need to do for this to actually load?

Note Gens auto-detects japanese mode when I try to load the patched file. I tried forcing it to US with no luck.
Evil Spilit

Postby Shining Hopeful » Tue Mar 01 2011 5:29pm

Try the unpatched rom to see if it plays alright in Gens.

If it does, try getting a later version of Gens, or give Kega a go.

I use Lunar IPS too and I don't think that is the culprit.

This is a good hack, so I hope you get to play it too.
Shining Hopeful

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Evil Spilit » Tue Mar 01 2011 5:42pm

Aha! This works in Gens+ but not in old Gens. Thanks for the tip!

EDIT: I was playing around with Caravan earlier to try to fix your bug. I tried to redirect the warp from the Castle map (7) to the HQ map (46) so that it just pointed back to map 7, but even doing that screwed things up.

Another idea I had though is to hack the rom directly. I figure it should be possible to simply copy over the terrain from map 7 into map 46, even if it has to be done through a hex editor. The only thing that could (should) stop this from working is if some of the new data you put in got into map 46 somehow.

Not sure what you've tried so far, but part of me wants to try to fix this thing. I love the hack and it would be great to make it perfect!
Evil Spilit

Postby Dark Claw » Thu Mar 03 2011 2:35pm

I am touched to hear such enthusiasm! If you could fix the glitch please post it here or PM me. Also could anyone here give me some critiques about it? Because I may update it sometime in the next few months if anyone was interested.
Dark Claw

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Evil Spilit » Fri Mar 11 2011 2:39am

Haven't tried to fix the map yet, but I am loving the mod! I'm at the battle on the way to the harpy battle, and so far this has been fantastic in every aspect - challenge, balance, creative changes, etc. The original game set the bar high, but this surpasses it to the point where if I were to give SF2 to a friend for the first time, I'd probably give them this mod.

Stuff I really love about this mod:
* Art/character changes. The character art changes are all very well done, and I got a big surprise each time I took a character with new art into battle for the first time.
* Force balance. There are no crappy characters now! Only one that seems undertuned is Chester, although he may have been hit with the RNG (his high HP does not compensate for lack of ATK/DEF).
* Armor slots. Armor was a great idea and it's really nice to see it in the game, and see it have a similar progression to weapons through the game.
* Spells on new characters. It adds a little utility and a ton of flavor. Love it.
* Other item changes. There are just enough items with new functionality (i.e. staves, promo items) that just feel like they make more sense and add more strategy.

My only complaints so far:
* Alternate promotions are less interesting/gone in some cases. I always thought this added some extra flavor to the game, but the combination of class changes, the level 20 limit and the Creed's characters coming as the alternate make the promotion choice for the original characters less interesting. To me, Kazin's WZRD spells seemed much better than his SAGE spells, Sarah seemed like a definite CLEC so that someone in the group has Heal 4 (and enough MP to cast heals), and while Jaha would have definitely gone to BRN, I was unable to figure out how to hack in the promo item (the savestates are different from the normal rom?). I would have liked to see the Pegasus Wing put in an earlier location in order to make that an interesting choice.
WARNING: SPOILER!

* Armor adds attack? While adding attack is fine, I would have liked to have better flavor on this point. It would have also been nice to give us the choice between attack or defense on certain characters.

Thanks for the awesome mod! I'm gonna put some serious time into this on the weekend - I can't wait to try Harpy and Chess.
Evil Spilit

Postby cmousers » Mon Feb 11 2013 12:10am

Hey guys, trying to play through this rom to completion. I have highly enjoyed it thus far, and I do want to finish it off. But the problem is, I am at Grans Island once again and the menu's are screwy, as was expected of the hack. I'm trying to reload via SRAM, but Kega won't create any. I do have the disable SRAM checkbox off.

I did get it to make some once, but then it took me back to the begining of the game, albeit with random characters, items, many that didn't work, and every character had different faux spells, like Station I think was one of them... Hopefully someone is still around here, I really want to finish this hack!
cmousers

Postby Domenika_Redstone » Fri Nov 13 2015 2:08am

Hi, I'm new here.

I wanted to let you know. I LOVE this rom hack. However, i'm stuck in Bedoe. I just finished the battle in the town of bedoe. And I'm suppose to take odd eye with me but. He will not come. He just says "Who are you? Excuse men, I'm blind."

Postby Someone » Tue Oct 04 2016 8:13pm

One year later, ... Well, maybe you should have spoken several times to the mayor. Three times are necessary.

I have a question. What purpose does the Angel Shot (given with Rhode) do? It's not a weapon. Unfortunately all my bowmen were promoted before I got that item, so if it was a promotion item, I won't know...
Someone

Postby Woodhouse204 » Mon Oct 17 2016 12:23am

It's a consumable healing item that certain ranged characters can use. I dont think Dark Claw checks this forum much these days, but Ive been doing a series on the game and should be able to answer some questions about the game. :D
Woodhouse204

Postby Pahn » Sun Jul 21 2019 9:26pm

I’m a battle before obtaining Peter and enjoying this. The difficulty has increased ever so slightly but the added effects/items have made it a new experience. Great work.

Interesting new sprite/attack art for May. Looks much better.

Patch was great until the Prism flower battle. Now I’m unable to get rid of the glitches screen no matter how many times I reset. Shame.
Last edited by Pahn on Sun Sep 02 2012 12:34pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last edited by Pahn on Sun Sep 02 2012 12:34pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pahn

Dragon
Shining Legend

Previous

Return to Shining Force II