Scrambled Force II Hack

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31 2009 2:12am
by BigNailCow
Happy Halloween! The purpose of this hack is to create a sort of bizarro SF2 world for you to play through! However, it's not really complete, but enough is different so that your battle experience should be unique. I wanted to do more, but I'm still fairly ill, and it's Halloween now, so...

SF2 Scramble Hack/Randomizer Tool
(Contents: sf2_scramble.ips, sf2_scramble.exe, sf2_scramble.txt, python26.dll)
(python26.dll is needed to run sf2_scramble.exe, which is a script I wrote in python)

Instructions:
1. Apply the sf2_scramble.ips patch to a 4mb expanded SF2 ROM and rename that to sf2_scramble.bin.
2. Run sf2_scramble.exe. This will only work if you renamed the ROM to sf2_scramble.bin!
3. This will create an sf2_scramble.bin.out. This is a ROM file. This is what you want to play in the emulator.

This is still *relatively* untested/unpolished. Please don't complain or be disappointed if something doesn't work perfectly. Enjoy it as a simple Halloween gift. I might add more to it later if there's interest.

(NOTE: If some aspect of the randomization isn't to your liking (such as the colors or music are too horrendous), you can simply run the exe again to regenerate everything.)

(NOTE 2: The default sf2_scramble.bin is unsuitable for playing in that Bowie starts with 2 MP and thus can't egress, but I'm too lazy to fix it. I suppose you COULD play it like that, but have a little fun!)

The .out file will have the following changes:

Features:
- Character names have been randomized a bit. Hello, BLOWIE!
- Palettes have been randomized a bit, making everything look freakish! Perfect for Halloween.
- All force members have been given random stat progressions and spell progression! This isn't perfect, as you might start having no character with a heal ability! Don't worry, one will come -- I made sure that all spells are represented by at least a few characters.
- All force members are available from the start, and the Caravan is too. Use it to place your desired members into your party before the first battle, and add new ones as slots become available.
- The instruments' properties are randomized, and certain channels in the music are muted to make things a bit... eerier. Unmute your emulator!
- Changes to the member status window to show character resistances.
- Contains the 3-digit fix.

Bugs:
- The randomization is a bit spotty. I only took minor efforts to make sure things are balanced. To counteract this, I increased the experience gained if you're low-level and hitting the enemy, so you can easily catch up other force members.
- Because certain battles are meant to be replayed later on the overworld, they have 12 member slots, so it's possible to, say, have 12 level 1 members in the 3rd battle. I don't really care! Cheat if you want, or just egress and remove all but the correct number of members.
- Sometimes if you buy a weapon, it'll show the incorrect adjusted ATT value when you're deciding who to give it to. For example, buying birdmen a Short Sword will show the same ATT as with a Wooden Sword. No idea why. The value itself will be right when you equip it, so don't pay attention to it.
- Lemon will promote to a BRN, not a RDBN.
- Battle palettes aren't changed, I simply ran out of time (and steam). Some battle sprite palettes will look weird because it's using garbage data (Rohde as an ACHR for example).
- Various cutscene abnormalities caused by having the Caravan follow you all the time. Merely cosmetic, as far as I know, so it doesn't matter too much!
- There could be more!

Re: Scrambled Force II Hack

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31 2009 2:16am
by xxdayoffatexx
:shock: my head hurts from 1's and 2's and watching people level over and over

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31 2009 2:42am
by ehow22
BNC has done it again lol.

I'm still laughing from the Shimmying Force thing from last Christmas.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31 2009 6:26am
by Earl
Sounds like fun.

Hope you feel better soon.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31 2009 11:36am
by Wiz
I'm in love with the way music is scrambled. So creepy ! :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01 2009 3:46am
by Shining_Sol
So BNC, your pretty much my hero.

Are you Superman?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01 2009 4:23am
by ShiningForceHero
Hey so any advice on getting this to work right? I took a SF2 Rom, opened it with Caravan to expand it, applied the patch, and ran the .exe. It tells me it can't locate it, so I never get the .out.

EDIT: nm, I got it working :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01 2009 4:38am
by Flygon
Did you call the patched ROM sf2_scramble.bin?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01 2009 9:32am
by Shining_Sol
So I'm not sure what's the deal, but when I try to go into Ribble the screen scrolls to the right and all I can do is hit the ABC buttons. The arrows don't work and I can't leave the town. Worst case scenario is I'll edit in the Achilles Sword and then I won't have to worry about going there. If I'm the only one having problems with this then just ignore me. :) :) :)

Edit: The same thing happens in Hassan. It's late so sleepy time now but when I get up later I'll just level up to promote then skip the whole Taros section. I checked the shrine of Taros and his sprite is gibbled.

Also my Tyrin gained level 2 Atlas at level 11. It was quite awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02 2009 2:04am
by ehow22
I've only played the first few battles but Bowie has leveled like 4 times and not gained anything!! lmao...He started out with 2MP for me.. Oh well, besides the missing stat gains I'm finding it enjoyable. I like how the battle sprites for the characters who join promoted turned out lol.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02 2009 2:45am
by BigNailCow
ehow22 @ Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:04 pm) wrote: I've only played the first few battles but Bowie has leveled like 4 times and not gained anything!! lmao...He started out with 2MP for me.. Oh well, besides the missing stat gains I'm finding it enjoyable. I like how the battle sprites for the characters who join promoted turned out lol.

You didn't read the instructions, did you?

If Bowie started with 2 MP, you didn't read the instructions.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02 2009 2:55am
by ehow22
I'm pretty sure I did, I might have just skimmed them since I was pretty tired at the time but yeah I most likely screwed up somewhere.

EDIT- Ok yeah, I figured out what happened....my mistake. I read them I just ddn't follow them completely.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02 2009 3:04am
by Dark Link
How do you apply the isp patch?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02 2009 3:11am
by Shining_Sol
Dark Link @ Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:04 pm) wrote: How do you apply the isp patch?

You need some kind of patching program. IPSwin and Lunar IPS both work. Google them.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02 2009 3:11am
by BigNailCow
I'm surprised you haven't applied one before, given all the random hacks we've released around here.

Download Lunar IPS. You can then either run it or, the easier and better way is to double-click the IPS file, and when Windows asks you what you want to do with it, browse and find the Lunar IPS exe so it will auto-associate. Then any time you download an IPS you can simply double-click on it, browse to the ROM file, and voila.

Edit: I'll look into that bug tomorrow, Shining_Sol. This hack uses some various tiny hacks from all kinds of tinkering I've done over the years, so it's not surprising it's broken.

Also, my fragile ego is a bit bruised that no one else has tried this. :(
I made it for you all. :(
For halloween. :(

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02 2009 3:15am
by Dark Link
Thanks. I look forward to having fun with the hack. :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02 2009 3:15am
by Zoidberg
this is on my to-do this BNC have no worries because I'm sure it's on many's to-do list. I just don't have the time to start another playthrough at the moment. But I definitely plan to try this along with any other hack you release ;)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02 2009 3:28am
by Shining_Sol
I'm going to patch another rom and give that a go. Maybe something screwed up with it so it might just be me.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02 2009 3:29am
by Dark Link
Hmm, I applied the IPS patch, renamed it sf2_scramble.bin, but it still says:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "sf2_scramble.py", line 44, in <module>
File "shutil.pyo", line 52, in copyfile
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'sf2_scramble.bin'

...well, it actually says check the sf2.scramble.exe log thing when I try to use the application, but that's what the .exe log thing says.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02 2009 3:30am
by ehow22
Yeah that's what I was getting too when I went to try again.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02 2009 3:31am
by Dark Link
I'll try getting a new rom, expanding it, and trying again.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02 2009 3:33am
by Shining_Sol
Yeah I got that, but when I dropped the Rom onto the exe, it worked.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02 2009 3:35am
by BigNailCow
It needs to be in the same directory as the exe.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02 2009 3:36am
by Dark Link
Yeah, it's in the same folder. I may have missed a step or something. I might have tried to edit the .bin I was using. Would that effect it?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02 2009 3:38am
by ehow22
:sweatdrop: I feel like a complete idiot now.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02 2009 3:40am
by Dark Link
Wow, am I retarded. I figured out my problem. When you said "rename it sf2_scramble.bin", I took that literally. So when I did Shining_Sol's method, I got sf2_scramble.bin.bin.out. XD

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02 2009 3:43am
by BigNailCow
The only reason you'd get that error is if there's no file called sf2_scramble.bin in the same location as the exe. Are you running the exe from inside the rar or something?

Edit: Ah, ok. You must not have file extensions showing in Windows. I do a lot of computer stuff so I forget that it's even possible to not show file extensions. Curse you, Microsoft!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02 2009 3:47am
by ehow22
Dark Link @ Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:40 pm) wrote: Wow, am I retarded. I figured out my problem. When you said "rename it sf2_scramble.bin", I took that literally. So when I did Shining_Sol's method, I got sf2_scramble.bin.bin.out. XD

Same here. Now I'm looking forward to playing it without Bowie starting with 2Mp lmao.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02 2009 4:56am
by ShiningForceHero
This is really fun to play through! Thanks for making it BNC. I have one question though, do you think you would be able to release a version that just scrambles the spells and stats while starting you with all characters? I found the crazy colors and music funny, but I wouldn't mind playing through with the randomization, but with normal sound and color.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02 2009 5:00am
by BigNailCow
Yeah, the next release will let you customize some of the randomization. I just hurried to get this one out for Halloween.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02 2009 7:26am
by Dark Link
Is it normal to have no stat-ups in the first few battles? I had my team ranging from lvl. 3-5, and none of them have had a stat-up yet. I know someone else said the same thing, I'm just wondering if that's supposed to happen or if I just got unlucky with the scramble.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02 2009 8:41pm
by BigNailCow
Are your palettes and music strange? If they are not, you are not playing the correct ROM. Are you playing the .BIN.OUT file? Your characters should be getting normal SF2-style levelups.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03 2009 2:07am
by ehow22
Dark Link @ Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:26 am) wrote: Is it normal to have no stat-ups in the first few battles? I had my team ranging from lvl. 3-5, and none of them have had a stat-up yet. I know someone else said the same thing, I'm just wondering if that's supposed to happen or if I just got unlucky with the scramble.

That was me and I was playing the wrong ROM. I redid the steps and everything turned out well this time. Yeah, as BNC has stated (countless) times, you have to use the .bin.out file

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03 2009 4:43am
by Dark Link
I'm probably using the wrong rom, then, since the music/palettes weren't different. :p

Edit: indeed I wasn't. And now that it works, it's quite a strange hack. I'm not used to having Rick as my healer, Luke as my tank, and Claude as my mage. There are some things that you cannot unsee, and this is definitely one of them.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03 2009 6:54am
by SirHedge
Has anyone found a way to keep their force more equally leveled? As it stands only a few are getting to fight in each battle and my lv.1s are about to be doomed to forever stay that way.

On an unrelated note, Chester with Bolt 1 right away is pretty sweet.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03 2009 7:00am
by Shining_Sol
SirHedge @ Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:54 pm) wrote: Has anyone found a way to keep their force more equally leveled? As it stands only a few are getting to fight in each battle and my lv.1s are about to be doomed to forever stay that way.

I just did the first few levels over and over, and didn't level anyone too high. So at Galam castle everyone is level 5. Plus that was I can see who's learning what. Such as a Luke with Neptune.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03 2009 7:14am
by Earl
Taya starting with Atlas... makes me wonder what she'll learn as the game progresses.

Heh. I'm so locked into traditional thinking that I'm hesitating to use the magic users that aren't starting with spells. I need to get a bit farther and then equalize everyone's level to see what kind of mixed bag I'm really working with.

Gonna be funny to see the ship leaving Grans in an ocean of lava.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03 2009 7:26am
by Shining_Sol
My Reter (Peter) Got desoul and can cast twice, has one of the highest attacks on the force and one of the highest defenses. If it stays that way..... Wow.

One thing that does feel weird is seeing a priest without any healing, or having a mage with no offensive magic. Having Chaz with only boost sure is weird, but kinda nice.

Edit: So I made a second scramble rom file and it still gets screwed up at Ribble. Anyone else get that far?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03 2009 4:12pm
by BigNailCow
Hmm, well, I don't have that bug when entering Ribble, but I actually just walked there from Grans instead of playing up to that point, so maybe I'm not setting a flag somewhere. It does happen if I enter Hassan.

Can you get me your savestate somehow?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03 2009 7:14pm
by Flaming Manakin
Hi,

Sorry if obvious, but how do I get the expanded 4mb rom? I downloaded caravan and open a .bin in that, but saving it just got the plain old 2mb ROM.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03 2009 7:26pm
by Drakonis
if you load a 2 MB rom in the newest caravan version, it should ask you if you want to extend it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04 2009 12:16am
by Flaming Manakin
So, with the sf2_scramble.bin.out file, how can you get the emukator to accept it? tried it on Kega fusion and Gens and neither load it.

I renamed it to a plain sf2_scramble.bin, then it opens okay with the spooky colours etc on the intro, but crashes on the title screen.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04 2009 2:06am
by ehow22
Shining_Sol @ Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:26 am) wrote: Edit: So I made a second scramble rom file and it still gets screwed up at Ribble. Anyone else get that far?

It does that to me as well in Ribble and Hassan. Didn't have any trouble getting in the elven village though lmao.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04 2009 3:20am
by Shining_Sol
ehow22 @ Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:06 pm) wrote: Didn't have any trouble getting in the elven village though lmao.

Yeah I didn't have any trouble walking into the elven village either. I'm guessing having the caravan following you makes it messed up since the only reasons to go into Ribble and Hassan are to get the Achilles Sword and Rhode. And since Taros is garbled I'm guessing it's the same thing. And BNC I'll shoot you an email with the state I have.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04 2009 2:01pm
by Flaming Manakin
Anyone else had it crash on the title screen? Perhaps I'll try a new .bin ROM

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04 2009 6:53pm
by Dark Link
I have another issue. I got to battle 7 (the second tower battle, with Galam and Elis at the top), and I have a problem. The force configuration is like this:

___x
__xxx
_xxxxx

(blue=npc, red=force member)

Anyway, the bottom right most force member always gets screwed up somehow. My first time through, it was Claude, and whenever it was his turn, his curser went up to Elis, and she moved for him. However, since she wasn't in his available movement, she just sat there and couldn't end turn or anything.

Then, I switched Claude out for Kiwi, and Chaz became the bottom right force member. When his turn came, it went to King Granseal. He could move for a while, but at the end of the turn, King Granseal became Chaz, and King Granseal respawned at his original position (noted by the left blue X).

I'm just curious if I should just do the battle -1 force member, or if there is a way of solving that problem.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04 2009 9:04pm
by Flaming Manakin
I fixed the crash by changing the .bin for another- obviously it doesn't work with them all.

Interesting first battle using Lemon with Dao...
Very interesting

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05 2009 3:11am
by ehow22
Shining_Sol @ Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:20 pm) wrote: Yeah I didn't have any trouble walking into the elven village either. I'm guessing having the caravan following you makes it messed up since the only reasons to go into Ribble and Hassan are to get the Achilles Sword and Rhode. And since Taros is garbled I'm guessing it's the same thing. And BNC I'll shoot you an email with the state I have.

Is it possible to just go to the Harpy pool and play it normally, since we technically already have Rhode?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05 2009 3:28am
by Shining_Sol
ehow22 @ Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:11 pm) wrote: Is it possible to just go to the Harpy pool and play it normally, since we technically already have Rhode?

I did that when I was bored and before I had gotten Oddler and it let me in. It gave Bowie Oddler's text which was funny. So I'm guessing it will still work with Oddler.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05 2009 3:58am
by ehow22
So we might be able to just skip the whole Taros thing altogether, right? I guess it comes down to if Rhode can use the cannon at North Cliff.

I already have Oddler(got tired of the crappy towns and decided to just go through the story as best I could) and will try to see if I can reach North Parmecia tonight....if not well I dunno lol.

Edit: I restarted it because every time I tried to North Parmecia from the cave, the screen shifted to where Luke joins repeatedly.

I completed it and had to skip/alter a few things:

WARNING: SPOILER!

Besides that, I think it was pretty good.

I hope this helps anybody having problems lol.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02 2010 10:18am
by T300
I cannot open the .out file in any emulator. How do I do this?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02 2010 4:09pm
by Lord Oddeye sama
You rename it to .bin.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02 2010 8:28pm
by T300
sorted, thanks

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14 2010 1:19pm
by Loftus
sorry to resurrect an old thread, but this is some great work BNC, i really lol'd at frayja's name change!

it wouldnt hurt for more members to see this thread anyway, looks like you put a lot of effort into it BNC. :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04 2010 9:58pm
by Hungry
At level 12, Gerhalt has 12 attack. He's pretty worthless.

Jaro has the highest attack on my force AND can cast atlas.

Luke's attack is also very high.

Rohde and May both have aura.

Higins has Heal and Boost.

Bowie just learned his second spell (after egress)... It's blast. :roll:

Chaz has no magic at all yet, but he can hit harder than Gerhalt. :p

This really is a lot of fun, and I am very much enjoying it. Thanks BNC!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04 2010 10:55pm
by Siel
I was playing this some time ago and noticed characters gain much less EXP than in a normal game. A level 0 huge bat only gives 30 and 10 EXP to level 3 and 4 characters instead of 40 and 30. It seems EXP gains are dropping by 20 per level instead of 10.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05 2010 11:29am
by Guntzlegend42
All my characters have the stats of a healer/mage, which makes it hard to get through. Swiwi/kiwi has 20 hp at the prison break, and snowie has the least defence with 5. Nice work BNC!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09 2010 12:42am
by Hungry
I've been using brave apples to avoid wasting tons of time, because I want to use everyone, but I don't want to play forever...

Anyway, Baron Lemon and Sorcerer Chaz cannot use brave apples. It just says "it has no use" I have other impossible characters like Baron Gyan. he can use brave apples.

So can Vicar Sheela, though there appears to be a glitch that makes her have a chance of having her mp increas by 255. Dunno if it's related to the apple or it'd happen with regular leveling.

Weird.