Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force II
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Scrambled Force II Hack

Happy Halloween!

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Re: Scrambled Force II Hack

Postby Dark Link » Mon Nov 02 2009 3:31am

I'll try getting a new rom, expanding it, and trying again.
As long as there is light, I shall follow you. When the light goes out, I will surround you. Destroy you with the fear of the unknown. I am subtle and precise, constantly shifting as the sand falls. I am a myth, a monster, a warrior. I am the Hero's Shadow.
As long as there is light, I shall follow you. When the light goes out, I will surround you. Destroy you with the fear of the unknown. I am subtle and precise, constantly shifting as the sand falls. I am a myth, a monster, a warrior. I am the Hero's Shadow.
Dark Link

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Shining_Sol » Mon Nov 02 2009 3:33am

Yeah I got that, but when I dropped the Rom onto the exe, it worked.
Solby @ Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:58 am wrote:Red Baron pizzas have a picture of a plane on them. That's kind of like flying junk food.
Solby @ Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:58 am wrote:Red Baron pizzas have a picture of a plane on them. That's kind of like flying junk food.
Shining_Sol

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby BigNailCow » Mon Nov 02 2009 3:35am

It needs to be in the same directory as the exe.
BigNailCow

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Dark Link » Mon Nov 02 2009 3:36am

Yeah, it's in the same folder. I may have missed a step or something. I might have tried to edit the .bin I was using. Would that effect it?
Dark Link

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby ehow22 » Mon Nov 02 2009 3:38am

:sweatdrop: I feel like a complete idiot now.
ehow22

Mr. WTF
Shining Legend

Postby Dark Link » Mon Nov 02 2009 3:40am

Wow, am I retarded. I figured out my problem. When you said "rename it sf2_scramble.bin", I took that literally. So when I did Shining_Sol's method, I got sf2_scramble.bin.bin.out. XD
Dark Link

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby BigNailCow » Mon Nov 02 2009 3:43am

The only reason you'd get that error is if there's no file called sf2_scramble.bin in the same location as the exe. Are you running the exe from inside the rar or something?

Edit: Ah, ok. You must not have file extensions showing in Windows. I do a lot of computer stuff so I forget that it's even possible to not show file extensions. Curse you, Microsoft!
BigNailCow

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby ehow22 » Mon Nov 02 2009 3:47am

Dark Link @ Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:40 pm) wrote: Wow, am I retarded. I figured out my problem. When you said "rename it sf2_scramble.bin", I took that literally. So when I did Shining_Sol's method, I got sf2_scramble.bin.bin.out. XD

Same here. Now I'm looking forward to playing it without Bowie starting with 2Mp lmao.
ehow22

Mr. WTF
Shining Legend

Postby ShiningForceHero » Mon Nov 02 2009 4:56am

This is really fun to play through! Thanks for making it BNC. I have one question though, do you think you would be able to release a version that just scrambles the spells and stats while starting you with all characters? I found the crazy colors and music funny, but I wouldn't mind playing through with the randomization, but with normal sound and color.

Postby BigNailCow » Mon Nov 02 2009 5:00am

Yeah, the next release will let you customize some of the randomization. I just hurried to get this one out for Halloween.
BigNailCow

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Dark Link » Mon Nov 02 2009 7:26am

Is it normal to have no stat-ups in the first few battles? I had my team ranging from lvl. 3-5, and none of them have had a stat-up yet. I know someone else said the same thing, I'm just wondering if that's supposed to happen or if I just got unlucky with the scramble.
Dark Link

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby BigNailCow » Mon Nov 02 2009 8:41pm

Are your palettes and music strange? If they are not, you are not playing the correct ROM. Are you playing the .BIN.OUT file? Your characters should be getting normal SF2-style levelups.
BigNailCow

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby ehow22 » Tue Nov 03 2009 2:07am

Dark Link @ Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:26 am) wrote: Is it normal to have no stat-ups in the first few battles? I had my team ranging from lvl. 3-5, and none of them have had a stat-up yet. I know someone else said the same thing, I'm just wondering if that's supposed to happen or if I just got unlucky with the scramble.

That was me and I was playing the wrong ROM. I redid the steps and everything turned out well this time. Yeah, as BNC has stated (countless) times, you have to use the .bin.out file
ehow22

Mr. WTF
Shining Legend

Postby Dark Link » Tue Nov 03 2009 4:43am

I'm probably using the wrong rom, then, since the music/palettes weren't different. :p

Edit: indeed I wasn't. And now that it works, it's quite a strange hack. I'm not used to having Rick as my healer, Luke as my tank, and Claude as my mage. There are some things that you cannot unsee, and this is definitely one of them.
Dark Link

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby SirHedge » Tue Nov 03 2009 6:54am

Has anyone found a way to keep their force more equally leveled? As it stands only a few are getting to fight in each battle and my lv.1s are about to be doomed to forever stay that way.

On an unrelated note, Chester with Bolt 1 right away is pretty sweet.
SirHedge

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Shining_Sol » Tue Nov 03 2009 7:00am

SirHedge @ Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:54 pm) wrote: Has anyone found a way to keep their force more equally leveled? As it stands only a few are getting to fight in each battle and my lv.1s are about to be doomed to forever stay that way.

I just did the first few levels over and over, and didn't level anyone too high. So at Galam castle everyone is level 5. Plus that was I can see who's learning what. Such as a Luke with Neptune.
Shining_Sol

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Earl » Tue Nov 03 2009 7:14am

Taya starting with Atlas... makes me wonder what she'll learn as the game progresses.

Heh. I'm so locked into traditional thinking that I'm hesitating to use the magic users that aren't starting with spells. I need to get a bit farther and then equalize everyone's level to see what kind of mixed bag I'm really working with.

Gonna be funny to see the ship leaving Grans in an ocean of lava.
Knowing is only half the battle.
So you still lose.
Knowing is only half the battle.
So you still lose.
Earl

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Shining_Sol » Tue Nov 03 2009 7:26am

My Reter (Peter) Got desoul and can cast twice, has one of the highest attacks on the force and one of the highest defenses. If it stays that way..... Wow.

One thing that does feel weird is seeing a priest without any healing, or having a mage with no offensive magic. Having Chaz with only boost sure is weird, but kinda nice.

Edit: So I made a second scramble rom file and it still gets screwed up at Ribble. Anyone else get that far?
Shining_Sol

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby BigNailCow » Tue Nov 03 2009 4:12pm

Hmm, well, I don't have that bug when entering Ribble, but I actually just walked there from Grans instead of playing up to that point, so maybe I'm not setting a flag somewhere. It does happen if I enter Hassan.

Can you get me your savestate somehow?
BigNailCow

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Flaming Manakin » Tue Nov 03 2009 7:14pm

Hi,

Sorry if obvious, but how do I get the expanded 4mb rom? I downloaded caravan and open a .bin in that, but saving it just got the plain old 2mb ROM.
Flaming Manakin

Shining Member
Shining Member

PreviousNext

Return to Shining Force II