Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force II
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

SF2 Editor 1.4 Release

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Re: SF2 Editor 1.4 Release

Postby Doomblade66 » Tue Jul 07 2009 7:38pm

Good news Space King...your idea of copying over the files / Data files / etc with the newest SF-2 Editor you released seems to have (at least for now) fixed the screwed up Icon stuff from affecting my ability to edit and fix the CLASS data now.

I am able to open it up and see what happened...you can see Bow Knight, Ninja, MMNK, Monster, etc all have their moves listed as "0" as well as critical / double attack chances / counter chances all showing as 1/32, 1/32, etc (the worst possible). Also, their class names still show garbled....BUT ...I am able to move into the boxes and edit the data, essentially "Fixing" the glitch ....which is something I could not do before because it kept coming up with the "Runtime Error-381" message and booting me out of the editor back to the desktop.

I'm going to fix the info today, using the info from the original .bin to make sure I'm giving them back their proper %-chances for Counter, Crit, etc.

In any case, good idea on a solution !

*** EDIT *** - Actually, I cannot "fix" the garbled funky icons/words/etc in the Class Abbreviation section of "CLASS" (the area where it displays KNTE, MAGE, BRN, PHNX, etc)...I can click into the word box...but no buttons do anything (Backspace, enter, typing a letter, space bar, etc - no change or response). I don't think it matters though...because most importantly I WAS able to go down to Movement Types / Move Value / Other Resistances, and the %'s for Crit Hits, Dbl Attacks, and Counters, as well as class elemental resistances and fix them back to their proper values (using my original un-changed file of the game as reference).
So...everything is fixed up and I will test the game again tonight - hopefully it solves the problem and I am able to promote guys normally and proceed onward in my playtest.

One thing I noticed, as an aside.....Slade is brutally boosted as a Ninja, compared to ALL the other classes.... while his stats are quite good, as we all know, his Class data for Ninja shows him as getting some really impressive benefits.

First of all, while almost ALL the other characters, except Barons, and Red Baron, get 1/16th chance of a 125% Critical Hit on every attack they make....NINJA (and the above-noted Barons/RDBN) actually get a 150% - 1/8th chance for the same !

Additionally...most of the other classes have their Double Attacks chance as 1/32 - reasonably low...and Counter chance of 1/16. A few, like MMNK have 1/8 for Counter chance, but retain the 1/32 Double.

Slade though...he's unique ! He gets a 1/16th Double Attack chance AND the boosted 1/8th chance to Counter any physical attacks against him.

Oh....let's not forget his added utility of Ninja magic. ;)

Simply put, this guy is a beastly rat.
Doomblade66

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby BigNailCow » Thu Jul 09 2009 7:12pm

The class index which loses its spells is located at 0x205fd (hardcoded) (12, SORC).
The spell index it gains is located at 0x2114d (hardcoded) (1d, DAO).
BigNailCow

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Stordarth » Sat Jul 11 2009 3:15am

Adding and removing stat blocks is an absolute godsend. I can rearrange the characters in the community game to the order they were intended now. great work Space King. :thumbsup:

Code: Select all
Dice Codes
Attack/Marked Target: /roll 8d100
Damage Variance (Rebels): /roll d18 [Blake with Blade], /roll d26 [Other cases.]
Damage Variance (Emissaries): /roll d16 [Zuberi with Blade], /roll d21 [Rain with Katana, Thrald with Blade], /roll d26 [Other cases.]
Magic: /roll d26
Status Effects: /roll d100
Level-Ups (No/Fixed MP): /roll 4d11
Level-Ups (Has MP): /roll 5d11

---
SFCW-A: Durandar
Sunken Castle: Fintan Kahn

Dice Codes
Damage Variance (Rebels): /roll d18 [Blake with Blade], /roll d26 [Other cases.]
Damage Variance (Emissaries): /roll d16 [Zuberi with Blade], /roll d21 [Rain with Katana, Thrald with Blade], /roll d26 [Other cases.]

---
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby BigNailCow » Sat Jul 11 2009 1:54pm

Chance for curse to cancel your action: 0x9fbf
Chance for stun to cancel your action: 0x9fd9

These are also 1 / x chance. They're both 4 by default, so there's a 25% chance.
BigNailCow

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Stordarth » Sat Jul 11 2009 11:33pm

BigNailCow @ Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:54 pm) wrote: Chance for curse to cancel your action: 0x9fbf
Chance for stun to cancel your action: 0x9fd9

These are also 1 / x chance. They're both 4 by default, so there's a 25% chance.

very very cool man. I guess there's no way to make the chance 0, but setting x to 255 might very much eliminate it for the most part.

Dice Codes

---

Dice Codes

---
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby BigNailCow » Mon Jul 13 2009 2:09pm

Space King, is there any reason SF2Edit can't add more "people" to the force? I tried adding entries to PersonCodes.txt and CharacterNames.txt and it fails to start. Could you add that feature? We need it for the community hack.

Also, I almost got SF2Edit compiling in VS2008, but it had some kind of problem I don't remember. I've never used VB so I have no idea about it.
BigNailCow

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Space King » Mon Jul 13 2009 2:59pm

Well, the big wall is adding entries to the In-Battle, face, and map sprite tables. The data that comes after these tables isn't retrievable, unlike the table I've written into with the added spells and dudes. Isolate that data to a location you're comfortable with forever in your enlarged format, and I'll prioritize it whenever I work on this thing.

I'll also obviously have to add the ability to insert strings into the name tables. Doing that by hand, and breaking compatibility with the editor, would be... unpleasant.

As far as I know, it should be viable to have 253-255 characters in theory, though the game might be a little pudgy while parsing such beefy tables.

VB6 and VB.net aren't really compatible, no matter how much Microsoft might have claimed. They've done everything they can to kill 6, but each has its strengths and weaknesses.
Space King

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby BigNailCow » Mon Jul 13 2009 3:12pm

The real limit on characters, without some sort of workaround, is actually RAM. There's 32 slots for characters and 32 slots for enemies loaded at the current time. Since there's only room for 32 sprites in a battle (I think?), it could safely be expanded to 44 characters, but that's about it without some serious RAM optimization.

I guess this is getting a bit complicated to keep coordinating between SF2Edit and the Caravan. I guess I need to start implementing it myself...

Edit: Actually what I was just asking was for the ability to add more entries to the data files and have the editor automatically try to use more characters, not being able to add more characters in the editor itself.
BigNailCow

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Earl » Tue Jul 14 2009 6:22am

BigNailCow @ Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:12 am) wrote: ...without some serious RAM optimization.

Would it be possible to make the game generate a larger RAM file to get around that? Or am I incorrectly thinking of a game's battery-backed RAM, while the problem is in the RAM available in the Genesis hardware?
Knowing is only half the battle.
So you still lose.
Knowing is only half the battle.
So you still lose.
Earl

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Flygon » Tue Jul 14 2009 6:24am

He is referring to the RAM inside the Mega Drive itself.
The hexman of #sf2hack
#sf2hack @ irc.darkmyst.org wrote:Lord_Oddeye: GET TO THE CHOPPER
Destructiox: :D
* Wiz has quit (Exit: Quitte)
Flygon: Oh, now look what you did
Destructiox: ;_;
Flygon: Wiz actually got in the chopper
The hexman of #sf2hack
#sf2hack @ irc.darkmyst.org wrote:Lord_Oddeye: GET TO THE CHOPPER
Destructiox: :D
* Wiz has quit (Exit: Quitte)
Flygon: Oh, now look what you did