Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force II
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Peter is overpowered?

I do not understand how or why. Please indulge me.

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Peter is overpowered?

Postby Runesamurai » Fri Jun 01 2018 4:07am

I don't really see why people say Peter is so strong. I even promote him at level 40 and he still seems pretty casual. Karna is way more overpowered if you ask me. Not only does she dispatch enemies much more easily than Peter but she can easily keep your whole team alive without you even needing to bring any Healing Water into the final battle. I didn't even use Healing Water at all on my first playthrough all because of her. If any character in this game is OP it's Karna not Peter.

Do I think Peter is weak? No absolutely not. Peter IS a great character. But I do not find him overpowered or broken. Just good. He's solid high-tier. Just a little above average/mid-tier. Like Gerhalt. I've found Peter to be slightly more powerful than Gerhalt but that's pretty much it. And no I'm not saying Gerhalt isn't good. He's an all around great character. Both are a great asset to your team. But I've found that my other characters take out enemies more easily than Peter does. Like Kazin, Karna, and Tyrin, And well, any high level Sorcerer. I kinda feel like I get more use out of Slade too.
Runesamurai

User avatar
Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Dec 11 2017 10:49pm

Re: Peter is overpowered?

Postby MXC » Fri Jun 01 2018 1:02pm

If you have inflated levels, it kind of skews things. But if you keep levels to a normal point, promote at 20, finish the game around 26-30, then Peter tends to do a lot of damage, have high HP, and a lot of freedom. He's easily a top 5 character, depending on your play style. I don't think he's overpowered but he's damn good.
MXC

User avatar
1090
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 25318
Joined: Fri Sep 17 2004 1:48am
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

Re: Peter is overpowered?

Postby Remuko » Sun Jun 03 2018 4:54pm

I just dont like that hes better at the job he does than everyone else that does that job.

Sure Karna is OP too but that doesnt make him not OP and shes OP because she has broken spells peter has NO spells and is still broken. Thats impressive.

Peter gains more stats per level pre-promotion than some units gain post promotion, and even then he regularly gets +3s to stats while most other units never do even post promotion.

Ive never ended the game while using peter without him having like 120+ hp and atk and like close to 100 agi and def. He makes other melee units seem bad by comparison. he has the same range of mov as centaurs but hes not hindered by terrain. he's tankier than the barons and about as tanky as the gladiators. he hits harder than like literally any ally in the game and has the most hp (usually). If he had like 15 less defense or so, then he'd be a mobile glass cannon, which is fine, but as is hes a mobile self-resetting nuclear warhead.
Remuko

User avatar
Member
Member
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Jul 02 2009 3:36am

Re: Peter is overpowered?

Postby Devonathan » Sun Jun 03 2018 5:11pm

I’m not sure I would call him overpowered, but he is certainly a top 3 character in the game. I’ll often not use him during my normal playthroughs, but I always put him on the team for my super runs.
Devonathan

User avatar
Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Tue Feb 01 2011 7:15pm

Re: Peter is overpowered?

Postby Runesamurai » Tue Jun 05 2018 3:13pm

I've seen so many people talk about how broken and OP Peter is but I find him pretty balanced. Karna is easily the most overpowered character if you ask me. She's just plain broken. I've gotten her to level 99 early on with Boost abuse leaving all my other characters way behind to the point of looking wimpy and then she wrecks most things unless she gets Muddled by a Mist Demon. Not only that, But she can keep my whole team alive all the way to the final battle and beyond without me even needing Healing Water.
Runesamurai

User avatar
Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Dec 11 2017 10:49pm

Re: Peter is overpowered?

Postby greyskies » Wed Jun 06 2018 10:21pm

Runesamurai wrote:I've seen so many people talk about how broken and OP Peter is but I find him pretty balanced. Karna is easily the most overpowered character if you ask me. She's just plain broken. I've gotten her to level 99 early on with Boost abuse leaving all my other characters way behind to the point of looking wimpy and then she wrecks most things unless she gets Muddled by a Mist Demon. Not only that, But she can keep my whole team alive all the way to the final battle and beyond without me even needing Healing Water.


I don't really see the point in comparing a level 99 Karna to a Level 99 Peter - as in both cases any character is broken, some more, some less.

It's easy to see why Peter is considered overpowered - his ATT is always top tier, since he is not using weapons he benefits more than most party members from power ring boosts, his DEF & HP are solid, and on top of that he has great movement (which is his biggest advantage over Gerhalt, who is usually slightly worse in all other categories as well).
But I agree, Karna is even more broken - not because she can become quite a powerhouse as a MMNK, but because she has this little spell called Boost at her disposal. And Boost... well, don't even get me started.

I think the reason why everybody thinks Peter first when it comes to unbalanced characters is because you get him rather early, and he is already a heavy hitter at a time when you are running a small party of mediocre fighters.
.
Check out Return to Grans - A Shining Force II hack which features a completely
reworked story, numerous visual improvements, and tons of balance changes.

Also available as storymode hack only.
.
Check out Return to Grans - A Shining Force II hack which features a completely
reworked story, numerous visual improvements, and tons of balance changes.

Also available as storymode hack only.
greyskies

User avatar
Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 431
Joined: Wed Feb 02 2011 11:55am
Location: Seebenstein, Austria

Re: Peter is overpowered?

Postby Runesamurai » Fri Jun 08 2018 4:11am

I see. How many people actually get characters to level 99 other than Master Monks though? Even with the Protect Ring that would still be really time-consuming.
Runesamurai

User avatar
Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Dec 11 2017 10:49pm

Re: Peter is overpowered?

Postby MXC » Fri Jun 08 2018 12:45pm

I think the highest I've ever gotten any character is Slade to 32 when I was a kid because I just had a feeling he could learn Rajin 3. This was before I knew of any sites. I'm just now a power-leveler and have always liked my force balanced in levels. I also rarely use boost, because it feels cheap ;)
MXC

User avatar
1090
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 25318
Joined: Fri Sep 17 2004 1:48am
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

Re: Peter is overpowered?

Postby greyskies » Fri Jun 08 2018 2:01pm

Runesamurai wrote:I see. How many people actually get characters to level 99 other than Master Monks though? Even with the Protect Ring that would still be really time-consuming.

Well, getting a MMNK to level 99 is also really time-consuming, at least from my perspective :) Also, one could always use an editor.
.
Check out Return to Grans - A Shining Force II hack which features a completely
reworked story, numerous visual improvements, and tons of balance changes.

Also available as storymode hack only.
.
Check out Return to Grans - A Shining Force II hack which features a completely
reworked story, numerous visual improvements, and tons of balance changes.

Also available as storymode hack only.
greyskies

User avatar
Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 431
Joined: Wed Feb 02 2011 11:55am
Location: Seebenstein, Austria

Re: Peter is overpowered?

Postby Runesamurai » Sat Jun 09 2018 12:25am

greyskies wrote:Well, getting a MMNK to level 99 is also really time-consuming, at least from my perspective :) Also, one could always use an editor.

Clearly you've never heard of the Boost Level 2 grinding strategy...
Runesamurai

User avatar
Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Dec 11 2017 10:49pm

Re: Peter is overpowered?

Postby ZethaPonderer » Sun Jun 10 2018 7:04am

Runesamurai wrote:
greyskies wrote:Well, getting a MMNK to level 99 is also really time-consuming, at least from my perspective :) Also, one could always use an editor.

Clearly you've never heard of the Boost Level 2 grinding strategy...


While I agree with you that Karna is overpowered due to Boost Level 2 being the most broken spell in SF2 same could also be said for Sheela on that matter as well.

Peter is overpowered IMO because of his insane damage output compared to the rest of the force (if played normally and no spell abusing to grind for level maxing), his ability to be revived automatically without costing you any gold, and having Resistance to Fire Magic after promotion taking Half the Damage which helps. Not so much at the end of the game though since enemies and bosses at that point use FREEZE, BOLT, and DEMON BREATH attacks.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Peter seem to have the highest Attack Growth in SF2 or is it Gerhalt or Claude or Zynk?
ZethaPonderer

User avatar
Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 243
Joined: Sun Jan 22 2017 6:08am
Location: United States

Re: Peter is overpowered?

Postby ehow22 » Sun Jun 10 2018 4:01pm

He also gets the "float" movement type which is pretty much flying with the Land Effect bonus, pre-promotion.
ehow22

User avatar
Mr. WTF
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 6315
Joined: Wed Aug 20 2008 5:14am
Location: Florida

Re: Peter is overpowered?

Postby MXC » Mon Jun 11 2018 1:51am

Yeah, he’s much closer to broken before promotion.
MXC

User avatar
1090
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 25318
Joined: Fri Sep 17 2004 1:48am
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

Re: Peter is overpowered?

Postby greyskies » Mon Jun 11 2018 5:11pm

Runesamurai wrote:
greyskies wrote:Well, getting a MMNK to level 99 is also really time-consuming, at least from my perspective :) Also, one could always use an editor.

Clearly you've never heard of the Boost Level 2 grinding strategy...

uh, that's less of a strategy and more of an obvious feature. But it still takes forever.
.
Check out Return to Grans - A Shining Force II hack which features a completely
reworked story, numerous visual improvements, and tons of balance changes.

Also available as storymode hack only.
.
Check out Return to Grans - A Shining Force II hack which features a completely
reworked story, numerous visual improvements, and tons of balance changes.

Also available as storymode hack only.
greyskies

User avatar
Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 431
Joined: Wed Feb 02 2011 11:55am
Location: Seebenstein, Austria

Re: Peter is overpowered?

Postby Dark Maiden » Fri Jun 15 2018 6:36pm

I wouldn't say overpowered, but Peter is definitely top tier.
Dark Maiden

User avatar
Dark Priestess
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 2725
Joined: Thu Sep 16 2004 7:52pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Peter is overpowered?

Postby DomingoRules! » Sat Jun 16 2018 3:38am

Runesamurai wrote:I don't really see why people say Peter is so strong. I even promote him at level 40 and he still seems pretty casual.

I did a play through recently where I promoted at Level 40, and even though I only did it with four characters (that being the maximum party size I was using) Peter wound up being my weakest character as a result, including characters he's always superior to in every way when I promote at 20, so I'd say a Level 40 Promotion run is definitely not his strong suit.

As for comparing him to Gerhalt, I could be wrong since I rarely use Gerhalt but if I recall I think Gerhalt can be slightly stronger offensively, but has far worse defense and HP.

I think the thing that makes Peter so overpowered is that he's a jack of all trades without any distinct weaknesses. Whereas almost every other character in the game has flaws that offset their strengths to make more balanced units, Peter is essentially without fault. Even his weakness to ice scarcely matters because of how much HP he gets. Like was said above, he hits harder than your glass cannons, can take more abuse than your tanks, and has unrivaled mobility due to his combined high movement and flight. Sure he can't use magic, but he hits harder than most spells anyway so doesn't need them.
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
DomingoRules!

User avatar
Shining Legend
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 1682
Joined: Tue Feb 17 2009 5:50am

Re: Peter is overpowered?

Postby Remuko » Wed Jun 20 2018 6:19am

DomingoRules! wrote:
Runesamurai wrote:I don't really see why people say Peter is so strong. I even promote him at level 40 and he still seems pretty casual.

I did a play through recently where I promoted at Level 40, and even though I only did it with four characters (that being the maximum party size I was using) Peter wound up being my weakest character as a result, including characters he's always superior to in every way when I promote at 20, so I'd say a Level 40 Promotion run is definitely not his strong suit.

As for comparing him to Gerhalt, I could be wrong since I rarely use Gerhalt but if I recall I think Gerhalt can be slightly stronger offensively, but has far worse defense and HP.

I think the thing that makes Peter so overpowered is that he's a jack of all trades without any distinct weaknesses. Whereas almost every other character in the game has flaws that offset their strengths to make more balanced units, Peter is essentially without fault. Even his weakness to ice scarcely matters because of how much HP he gets. Like was said above, he hits harder than your glass cannons, can take more abuse than your tanks, and has unrivaled mobility due to his combined high movement and flight. Sure he can't use magic, but he hits harder than most spells anyway so doesn't need them.


Yup well said at the end. Perfect summation.
Remuko

User avatar
Member
Member
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Jul 02 2009 3:36am

Re: Peter is overpowered?

Postby abig84 » Mon Jul 09 2018 7:14am

I noticed leveling up his stats go up way more then bowie's does. Pretty much increases of 2s and 3s where bowies is mostly 1's and 2's with the occasional 3's.

Peter is usually the one to take out zeon as I send everyone else up first to get murdered and Peter takes him out.

WARNING: SPOILER!
abig84

User avatar
Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Dec 18 2013 8:02pm

Re: Peter is overpowered?

Postby acsound » Wed Jul 11 2018 10:47am

In my head canon, Peter's a manifestation/avatar of Volcanon; this way, Volcanon can help the Shining Force seal Zeon w/o leaving his pedestal at Bedoe. Deities are known to be stealth mentoring jerks like that, even in extant RL religions. ;)
acsound

User avatar
Shining Hero
Shining Hero
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Thu Jul 21 2011 7:35pm
Location: North Charleston, SC, United States

Re: Peter is overpowered?

Postby DomingoRules! » Fri Jul 13 2018 6:25am

abig84 wrote:I noticed leveling up his stats go up way more then bowie's does. Pretty much increases of 2s and 3s where bowies is mostly 1's and 2's with the occasional 3's.

Peter is usually the one to take out zeon as I send everyone else up first to get murdered and Peter takes him out.

WARNING: SPOILER!

WARNING: SPOILER!
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
DomingoRules!

User avatar
Shining Legend
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 1682
Joined: Tue Feb 17 2009 5:50am

Next

Return to Shining Force II

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests

cron