Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force II
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Team Shining Force II #18

Battle 38: Geshp - Antman

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Re: Team Shining Force II #18

Postby Drakonis » Sun Aug 27 2017 7:33pm

All done. Pacalon was a lot easier than old Uggoface.

Levels range from 12 to 14, with most people being at 13.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Drakonis

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Antman 537 » Fri Sep 01 2017 2:48am

I knew I was in the right place when I found a character named Jar. I wonder if I can kill him before he joins.... :shifty:

As I guessed cerberus are weak to water! Then a pegesus knight hit luke for over half his health. He may not be long for this world. :eyebrow: Things got worse when a devil soldier and chimera rushed down to join them.

This battle, I tried the philosophy that it's better to prevent damage than heal it, but that didn't work. Slade got killed by a cerberus; it survived by one health and finished him off. :( Jaro got killed by another cerberus, conveniently enough. Eric got double attacked and killed by a mastermonk, of all things. Ugh.... And Luke died too, because the pegesus knight went twice before Sarah... At this juncture I began attempting to get Bowie killed. Bowmaster took two shots to kill kazin......

...it took pointedly moving everyone but Bowie out of the bowmaster's range, but I managed to get Bowie killed before finishing it. You're welcome. :thumbsup:
Antman 537

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Simpelicity » Fri Sep 01 2017 3:57am

It's pretty hard to stop pegasi and cerberi from dealing damage altogether.
Simpelicity

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Antman 537 » Fri Sep 01 2017 5:06am

The big issue was that they really liked to attack in packs; I couldn't seem to lure them down separately.

EDIT: Round two! Knowing I was in for a rush, I made my first priority forming up a solid phalanx. This looked promising, but bowie took two direct hits and Sarah just could not get a turn to heal him.

Round 3! :damnit:

Round 4! This time I decided screw Jaro and the Master Monk, I'm going for the two pegesus knights on the other side of the field. Everyone died. I'm starting to loathe this battle :(

Round 5!! Bowie was killed in a valiant bolt-charge. He will be fondly remembered.

Round 6!!! I'm mighty sick of the Devil Soldier's ability to move whenever in the initiative it would be most beneficial for them to do so. :damnit: Baited the command group left, then switched right! The last peg knight challenged Eric to an honorable pegesus duel, but we said f that and shot him out of the sky. :shifty: Then we used Jaro as conveniently willing bait for our final offensive. He died. :thumbsup: But Bowie got dropped to 14 hp with no heals left, and I couldn't move him far enough away from the 2nd necromancer. :...:

Round 7!!! In which Bowie takes 3 hits in 2 turns and goes from full hp to dead. Are you kidding?

ROUND 8. Brace yourselves boys, this time I'm finishing this battle if I have to meatgrind my way through to do it! :mwahaha: Slade lvled to 14 and learned Rajin, then Lvled to 15! Bowie, Kazin, Elric and Eric lvled to 14! Jaha and luke lvled to 13! Sarah lvled to 16!
Turns out if you take enough time, those two knights will just come to you. Jaro distracted the bowmaster and chimera while I healed. He's dead again. :excited: Luke got heavy attacked down to 2hp, so he's out of the fight. Burned my last mana on Sarah and prepared for the charge! :eyebrow: Pegesus knight double attacked and killed Gerhalt, then hurried on over to finish off Jaha. Mopped him up, then caught the bowmaster and monk with a back to back Katon 1 and Dao 2 to finish the battle. I recommend the vomit emote for the first post. ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Antman 537 on Sun Sep 03 2017 4:23am, edited 2 times in total.
Antman 537

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Antman 537 » Sun Sep 03 2017 4:19am

Antman 537

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby zexxar » Mon Sep 04 2017 7:56am

I'll give it a try sometime during this week.
Trent @ Sun Apr 10 2011 1:00pm wrote:You're the ultimate team player zexxar, always coming to the rescue!

samsengir wrote:Zexxar is a fabulous human being with more sex appeal in his little finger than all of F&G put together. Possibly all of SFC combined.
Trent @ Sun Apr 10 2011 1:00pm wrote:You're the ultimate team player zexxar, always coming to the rescue!

samsengir wrote:Zexxar is a fabulous human being with more sex appeal in his little finger than all of F&G put together. Possibly all of SFC combined.
zexxar

Team Game Saviour
Shining Legend

Postby Simpelicity » Wed Sep 06 2017 7:04pm

So... who's left after this?
Simpelicity

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby zexxar » Thu Sep 07 2017 10:36am

With Jaha and Gerhalt gone (may they rest in piece) we are left with with only 2 tanks (Bowie and Eric) which made the Moun battle quite the pain in the ass because often the enemies come in groups and that's why I even had 2 failures the first time I f*cked it up myself while trying to get used to our great team and the second time was RNG messing with me real hard.

Anyway after learning from my previous failures I somehow made it through without a single death thanks to the Shaman (the boss) rushing forward which let me avoid the Mud Men.

The second battle went much more smooth thanks to it being one of my favorite battles so I still know almost all the trigger points and therefore I seldom had to fight bigger groups unlike in Moun. And so I slowly but surely made my way up to Cameela went down pretty fast thanks a critical Dao 2 :)

zexxar

Team Game Saviour
Shining Legend

Postby Simpelicity » Thu Sep 07 2017 9:31pm

The trick to manipulating the Moun battle in your favor is to go up immediately. Well, after the first 3 enemies. And kill those 3 enemies without going left past that first house at the entrance. The triggers are designed to mess you up if you go the natural path (left then up the middle) but deal very poorly with you going up then left.
Simpelicity

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby MXC » Fri Sep 08 2017 12:15am

Yeah, pretty much. I've had that battle quite a bit, I feel like. Even doing that strategy still leaves with having the middle to deal with but at least you have some strategy to implement there.
MXC

Shining Legend

Postby Simpelicity » Fri Sep 08 2017 3:02am

Well, half the monsters don't get triggered properly, so that gives you more breathing room to deal with the other half, then you can trigger/deal the rest at your leisure.

I only discovered that recently though, I think I've only done that once or twice :)
Simpelicity

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby zexxar » Fri Sep 08 2017 6:18am

Yes that was exactly what I was doing in my 3rd try in Moun after killing the inital 3 I went back and waited for the group in the upperleft to approach me and after taking them out I took the middle route were I was lucky that the 2 remaining Hell Soldiers stormed towards me without any backup :)

zexxar

Team Game Saviour
Shining Legend

Postby greyskies » Sun Sep 10 2017 12:43am

Sooo... the force crash landed the Nazca ship as usual, I paid the monastery a quick visit (but without meeting any naked MMNKs), and then on I went to the next battle.

Seconds in, I realized I forgot to equip the Nazca cannon, and Jaha was the person who had it. Unfortunately, Jaha is dead, so no new toys for Elric. Bummer.
I moved forward rather fast, engaged the first Lizardman, positioned Elric so the Griffin would be pulled. Then I misjudged the range of the Mist Demons, and suddenly I was confronted with two purple worms and the Mist Demon while Sarah and Kazin were both in a confused state.
I concluded that the situation was too risky and egressed the f* out of there.

For the second attempt (after finally equipping the Nazca Cannon), I took much more time for the advance, and it paid off: one after another, the enemies fell, until only the Bow Master, the Shaman and the Chaos Wizard were left alive.

Until the Mud Men triggered. Now suddenly confronted with an enemy force to match our numbers, I had Elric tank a Blaze 4 and a Bow Master arrow - which he barely survived with about 20 HP - while the rest of the party brought down the two closest Mud Men and the Chaos Wizard in one turn.
After some more struggling I had to use Kazin's already cracked Mage Staff in order to finish off the third Mud Man, causing the staff to finally break.
Instead of healing a heavily injured Slade, Sarah cast Slow on the Bow Master and the Shaman, and Bowie stepped into the way of the enemy so everyone's favorite ninja rat would live to see another day. Once more, Elric took the brunt of the attack - and with their defense lowered by a large amount, Bow Master and Shaman went down quickly in the next turn.

I have to say that with only seven party members this battle was definitely challenging! I assume the prism flower battle will be easier, but we'll see. Probably tomorrow.

EDIT: I just realized that "no Egress!" was part of the ruleset. I suggest using the purple domingo of shame :blush: for this oversight, and I will fight to the bitter end the next time.

EDIT #2: It was actually Eric who tanked the attacks, not Elric. Those two names can get a bit confusing.
Last edited by greyskies on Wed Sep 13 2017 7:21am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out Return to Grans - A Shining Force II hack which features a completely
reworked story, numerous visual improvements, and tons of balance changes.

Also available as storymode hack only.

greyskies

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby MXC » Sun Sep 10 2017 4:15pm

It doesn't seem like you gained much from the Egress. Just roll with it and take out the Prism Flowers ;)
MXC

Shining Legend

Postby greyskies » Wed Sep 13 2017 7:20am

Alright, finally managed to finish the second battle.

Luckily, I had played the Prism Flower Battle not long ago, so I remembered in which direction the flowers were facing and where it was save to stand. Still got caught in two or three beams throughout the whole fight, one of which was intended - Luke took a laser to the face so the prism flower would finish off the first bow knight. Also, the first enemy group made me realize how low the damage output of our small party is, so instead of going through the middle I took the safer path hugging the cliffs on the right side.
I managed to pull both Mist Demons with a melee attack and took my time killing the four prism flowers in the middle just to be on the safe side.
Eric got as low as 9 HP at one point, so Sarah used her last MP to heal him to his full 90 with a Heal 4.

The final group of enemies was easily defeated; the Chaos Wizard overextended, attacking Elric with his staff, and then I steamrolled the Shaman and the Executioner with the whole party. An Apollo 2 from Kazin sealed the deal.
The Executioner's battle sword went to Luke, who is not doing particularly well when it comes to damage output.

greyskies

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby MXC » Wed Sep 13 2017 1:59pm

Well done :)

Time for Drakonis to get brutalized by Red Baron :lol: I know it's likely unwinnable, all things considered. Even if you manage to win, Geshp probably can't be taken out. We'll see how far we get ;)
MXC

Shining Legend

Postby Simpelicity » Wed Sep 13 2017 10:50pm

I mean... not to be mean or anything... but let's just say the Geshp battle is a lot harder than the Jar battle.
Simpelicity

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Shining Force II