Why are there no mods for this game?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26 2019 3:33pm
by Runesamurai
I can't believe it.

Re: Why are there no mods for this game?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29 2019 12:48am
by DomingoRules!
I can't speak for anybody else, but I feel as though the appeal of a mod is to breathe new life into games from our childhood, and I feel like a large number of people around here grew up with the original, not this one, so they'd rather improve or modify the game of their childhood rather than the (mostly) disappointing imitation that came later.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29 2019 11:46am
by Runesamurai
I see. Some things were really awesome about this game though. It really deserves mods.

PostPosted: Thu May 02 2019 10:24pm
by Cullsoft
It may also be a simple case of no-one investing the time to suitably crack the remake's coding to make it (conveniently) moddable, as has been done with the original.

DomingoRules! wrote:I can't speak for anybody else, but I feel as though the appeal of a mod is to breathe new life into games from our childhood, and I feel like a large number of people around here grew up with the original, not this one, so they'd rather improve or modify the game of their childhood rather than the (mostly) disappointing imitation that came later.

However, on a similar trail of thought, I think there's appeal for modding the game to remove some of the disliked elements (e.g. reworking spells to be more like the originals and removing the OP magic defence that nerfs them late game) to create a mod that feels more like the original but with the remake's more favourable additions, thus making it more like what fans of the original were hoping to get.

PostPosted: Fri May 03 2019 11:54am
by Runesamurai
This game has had some things that I disliked as well as liked.

Things I dislike:

1. They made Kane a weakling.
2. Slow and Quick were ruined
3. Narsha's epilogue battles suck
4. Level 3 Magic is stronger than Level 4 Magic. WTH?
5. Bleu got nerfed horribly
6. Zylo got nerfed horribly
7. Adam is not quite as good anymore
8. Damage is nerfed
9. Some end battle prizes become pretty much impossible to get. (Maybe if the Zylo card could effect the whole party at once instead of just one character THEN I'd have a chance...)
10. Zuika is a weakling (Seriously, use Hanzou instead. He's way better.)
11. Dark Elves are now extremely annoying
12. Only Max gets a portrait change upon promotion
13. Not enough things from the old game
14. No new game+ option where Kane can be recruited.
15. Yogurt is still in the game.

Things I like:

1. Wonderful Story Expansion
2. Great new character development
3. Hanzou is fixed and better than ever
4. Musashi is better than ever
5. The new characters
6. The new enemies
7. The card system (I for one think it's pretty cool)
8. Supernova (The move is awesome)
9. Characters all have great dialogue at the end
10. New outfit for Khris and Narsha (Though I personally don't use them)
11. The costumes actually show up in battle scenes (Though again, I personally don't use them)
12. Kokichi is better now
13. The different ending epilogues for characters
14. Narsha's spells

I have mixed feelings about the new magic resistance stat. It makes Desoul OP. Good thing no enemies have it in this game. And it kinda defeats the purpose of Dispel since Magic Resistance also applies to it.

PostPosted: Sun May 19 2019 2:43am
by Trovador
I agree with almost everything except for 3 things:

1. I love Yogurt is still in the game. As a metter of fact I wish Yogurt made an actual cameo in every Shining games.
2. I don't like very much the way they changed the story
3. I don't mind Max being the only one who gets a portrait change after promotion.

PostPosted: Wed May 22 2019 11:57pm
by DomingoRules!
Trovador wrote:1. I love Yogurt is still in the game. As a metter of fact I wish Yogurt made an actual cameo in every Shining games.

While not a Shining game, he did appear in Timestalkers for the Dreamcast, although to what capacity I don't recall. I think it had something to do with a VMU minigame. The game also starred Pyra from Shining in the Darkness, and Nigel from Landstalker as two of the playable party members. Not sure if any of the other characters were also from other Climax games, but I always assumed they were. Aside from Sword, since obviously the main protagonist is likely to be an original character.

PostPosted: Thu May 30 2019 3:59am
by Runesamurai
Trovador wrote:I agree with almost everything except for 3 things:

1. I love Yogurt is still in the game. As a metter of fact I wish Yogurt made an actual cameo in every Shining games.

Why though?
Trovador wrote:2. I don't like very much the way they changed the story

How so?
Trovador wrote:3. I don't mind Max being the only one who gets a portrait change after promotion.

But it was so much better when the others did and they looked so cool.

PostPosted: Thu May 30 2019 6:01am
by DomingoRules!
Runesamurai wrote:
Trovador wrote:3. I don't mind Max being the only one who gets a portrait change after promotion.

But it was so much better when the others did and they looked so cool.

Part of me can kind of agree with that though because I kind of feel like the change should be applied to either only Max, or everybody. System limitations of the Genesis back in the day notwithstanding. In the case of a remake though, it just comes off as lazy that they didn't at least include the same portrait changes as the original.