Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force Feather
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Patch Trans JUST MENUS & Commands?

Discuss the latest SRPG in the Shining Series, available now for Nintendo DS!

Patch Trans JUST MENUS & Commands?

Postby suddene » Sun Jul 13 2014 6:18pm

Okay so I just finished SF 1, SF2, SFCD, etc. for the 5th time and after watching some YouTube videos of Shining force Feather, It dawned on me that If only the menus were translated and NOT the forever taking story translation I would totally play this game and finish it.
I’m talking only like 5-10 screens of translation of commands and so forth, nothing more ..
I am officially out of patience waiting so long and seeing no progress with translation , and Honestly I would totally be able to play this game with JUST the menus translated, I have waited too long to see there seems to be no progress on this and truly I am appreciative of the attempts but let’s be real here guys, I’m sure almost everyone wouldn’t mind playing it with menu translated only I could care less about the story translation now
This game is becoming a classic it’s taken so long so Please, with all kindness and respect, Can anyone give me a list or tips on what tools are needed to disassemble the rom and modify the menus, I’ll do it myself, I’ll even use babel fish, It couldn’t take more than an hour to do this so why have I suffered in waiting so long with no patch when I don’t personally care anymore about the full story translated which is taking forever Just Menus shouldn’t take more than half a day to translate.
Please, someone show me the tools used and I’ll do it myself and have it released in a day I promise, I Understand it requires patience and the translators doing this are kind enough to attempt but let’s be little understanding here and at least release a menu trans patch which could be done already and let us at least enjoy that and appreciate it, don’t make your time spent go to waist by the time it looks like it will be out, it will be forgotten..
I just need a list, what tools used to disassemble the rom contents, and what is used to edit the text, and Ill get on top of this ASAP
suddene

Re: Patch Trans JUST MENUS & Commands?

Postby Corsair » Sat Jul 26 2014 6:58pm

I am officially out of patience

Corsair

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Omega Entity » Sun Jul 27 2014 3:38am

suddene wrote:Okay so I just finished SF 1, SF2, SFCD, etc. for the 5th time and after watching some YouTube videos of Shining force Feather, It dawned on me that If only the menus were translated and NOT the forever taking story translation I would totally play this game and finish it.
I’m talking only like 5-10 screens of translation of commands and so forth, nothing more ..
I am officially out of patience waiting so long and seeing no progress with translation , and Honestly I would totally be able to play this game with JUST the menus translated, I have waited too long to see there seems to be no progress on this and truly I am appreciative of the attempts but let’s be real here guys, I’m sure almost everyone wouldn’t mind playing it with menu translated only I could care less about the story translation now
This game is becoming a classic it’s taken so long so Please, with all kindness and respect, Can anyone give me a list or tips on what tools are needed to disassemble the rom and modify the menus, I’ll do it myself, I’ll even use babel fish, It couldn’t take more than an hour to do this so why have I suffered in waiting so long with no patch when I don’t personally care anymore about the full story translated which is taking forever Just Menus shouldn’t take more than half a day to translate.
Please, someone show me the tools used and I’ll do it myself and have it released in a day I promise, I Understand it requires patience and the translators doing this are kind enough to attempt but let’s be little understanding here and at least release a menu trans patch which could be done already and let us at least enjoy that and appreciate it, don’t make your time spent go to waist by the time it looks like it will be out, it will be forgotten..
I just need a list, what tools used to disassemble the rom contents, and what is used to edit the text, and Ill get on top of this ASAP

There is no 'kindness or respect' in your post, just the whinings of an entitled noob. If there was, you'd respect that maybe, just maybe, those who are working on the translation a) have lives outside of the interwebs and b) that they want this project done right.

If you're so intelligent as to be able to figure all this out and 'figure it out in a day', then you're smart enough to write out your own programs and do it all yourself instead of waiting on what you apparently view as your peons to do your bidding.

No one is here to let you order them around. No one is getting paid for this. It will take as long as it takes. So either snap to it and get started on translating what you feel is the important thing that you have to have, or sit down and suck it up, and have some goddamned patience. Writing demands as you have above certainly won't endear you to anyone here, and you've likely killed any desire to do you any personal favors by the tone alone, let alone your demands.
(8:23:45 PM) ehow1990: stupid question: why do you have hay there?
(8:23:54 PM) YsFanatic18: She was feedigng horses
(8:23:58 PM) MXC0Spike: Barn sex
(8:24:07 PM) ahath714: She stuffs.
(8:24:39 PM) ehow1990: ask a stupid question and everybody has an answer XD

Any game I'm in should be considered a dating game.

SFCW Character Sheet

SC Character Sheet

SFCW Character Sheet

SC Character Sheet
Omega Entity

*jiggle*
Shining Legend

Postby Stordarth » Sun Jul 27 2014 4:53am

Yeah, with one hand you say you appreciate the work going on, then with the other essentially insult that work by saying it's too slow for your liking.

That's not going to motivate the people contributing to this for fun and on their own time to acquiesce to your 'request' (which really does come off more as demands.)

Suddene, I don't know if English is perhaps your second language (it is sometimes the case that excitement can cause this to result in misunderstandings on both sides), and if it is, perhaps try and revisit your point.

If it's your first language, however, I think you should adjust the tone.

Code: Select all
Dice Codes
Attack/Marked Target: /roll 8d100
Damage Variance (Rebels): /roll d18 [Blake with Blade], /roll d26 [Other cases.]
Damage Variance (Emissaries): /roll d16 [Zuberi with Blade], /roll d21 [Rain with Katana, Thrald with Blade], /roll d26 [Other cases.]
Magic: /roll d26
Status Effects: /roll d100
Level-Ups (No/Fixed MP): /roll 4d11
Level-Ups (Has MP): /roll 5d11

---
SFCW-A: Durandar
Sunken Castle: Fintan Kahn

Code: Select all
Dice Codes
Attack/Marked Target: /roll 8d100
Damage Variance (Rebels): /roll d18 [Blake with Blade], /roll d26 [Other cases.]
Damage Variance (Emissaries): /roll d16 [Zuberi with Blade], /roll d21 [Rain with Katana, Thrald with Blade], /roll d26 [Other cases.]
Magic: /roll d26
Status Effects: /roll d100
Level-Ups (No/Fixed MP): /roll 4d11
Level-Ups (Has MP): /roll 5d11

---
SFCW-A: Durandar
Sunken Castle: Fintan Kahn
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby TheUnknownMarine » Sun Jul 27 2014 5:09am

Suddene, I'm not going to jump down your throat, but I think I should probably give you some perspective. Your offer to help is appreciated, but it's a lot harder than it sounds to translate even a menu. The translation has only been underway for a year. I've been waiting for Aeon Genesis to finish Super Robot Wars Alpha for SEVEN YEARS. It probably won't take nearly that long, but you've got to understand fantranslating takes time, ESPECIALLY with Japanese products. Japanese is a context heavy language, very difficult to translate, and even more so for autotranslators like Babelfish.

Now that being said, the suggestion of releasing a menu only translation patch and later upgrading it to full does have some merit... I believe PSO2 uses a similar system. But you've got to be a tad more diplomatic about it. While, to be fair, your post is a far cry from blatant rudeness, it does come across a bit demanding.

Anyway, if you are really dead set on doing this, you can probably find most of the tools you need with a little researching into romhacking, and once you've got an idea of what to do, contact the translation team. You might wanna be a bit more polite though. Heck if you wanna help, they might have a thing or two for you to do, though I haven't been keeping track of this.
TheUnknownMarine

Master Narrator
Shining Legend

Postby Omega Entity » Sun Jul 27 2014 5:25am

Even just doing the menus isn't a simple task. You not only have to translate the words themselves (which is not too difficult, with a good eye and enough time, even if you haven't had any instruction in the language), but you also have to:

- unpack the ROM
- find the menu item locations in the ROM
- edit the values without breaking something with a text editor
- make sure that your text is both a decent font and size so it isn't breaking the boxes, making it look like eyebleed or barely readable in general
- again, making sure you didn't inadvertently break something else in the process
- compile everything back together into a working ROM again

So go on, Rambo coder/translator, who I'm guessing by your bravado likely has neither experience in coding or in the Japanese language or the translation thereof. Show up everyone who's working on the project with your superior armchair coding skills.

SFCW Character Sheet

SC Character Sheet

SFCW Character Sheet

SC Character Sheet
Omega Entity

*jiggle*
Shining Legend

Postby Faisal » Mon Jul 28 2014 9:08am

You know sir these type of things dont happen just because someone ran out of patience.
I once wanted to help but since I lacked knowledge of the japanese Language I just gave up and left it to the experts.
And using some software to translate aint gonna get you any where.
The software may translate the text but just as Omega said the font and size will be God knows what.
Oh and even a slight mistake may lead to the entire rom being destroyed and all your work along with it.
So relax and wait.
Eat food,sleep,wake up,eat food,eat some more,eat a little more,sleep.Repeat everyday and be awesome (Y)
Eat food,sleep,wake up,eat food,eat some more,eat a little more,sleep.Repeat everyday and be awesome (Y)
Faisal

The Asian Sensation
Shining Hero

Postby DomingoRules! » Tue Jul 29 2014 5:23pm

Omega Entity wrote:Even just doing the menus isn't a simple task. You not only have to translate the words themselves (which is not too difficult, with a good eye and enough time, even if you haven't had any instruction in the language), but you also have to:

- unpack the ROM
- find the menu item locations in the ROM
- edit the values without breaking something with a text editor
- make sure that your text is both a decent font and size so it isn't breaking the boxes, making it look like eyebleed or barely readable in general
- again, making sure you didn't inadvertently break something else in the process
- compile everything back together into a working ROM again

So go on, Rambo coder/translator, who I'm guessing by your bravado likely has neither experience in coding or in the Japanese language or the translation thereof. Show up everyone who's working on the project with your superior armchair coding skills.

In short, there's a reason multibillion-dollar game companies have teams of trained professionals working several hours a day to do this stuff, and even then they sometimes make mistakes by the time the final product is released. What we have is a click of fans who likely don't have much if any formal training, doing this in their free time outside of any actual job and other responsibilities & hobbies they have.
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Return to Shining Force Feather