Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force Feather
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

ETA on American release?

Discuss the latest SRPG in the Shining Series, available now for Nintendo DS!

Re: ETA on American release?

Postby Marky » Fri Mar 13 2009 1:27am

Here's an interesting dilemma. If a North American and European release occurred, who will be able to afford to buy the game? Moreover, will SOJ be willing to take a chance to release SF: Feather out here even if there is a strong possibility of losing money instead of making money?

Who knows?

I wouldn't mind seeing this game released here in the States, but SOJ and SOA would be taking a big risk (IMO). Moreover, besides the US and Euro SFC members who would be willing to purchase the game (if released in both regions), how many copies would that accumulate to? 1000? And how many non-SFC members (who do not know anything about the Series or the name Shining Force) be willing to purchase the game? 40,000? 50,000? So far, based on speculative projections, it may be good reason for SOJ and SOA to not have Shining Force Feather released outside of Japan.
Marky

Attending Physician
Shining Legend

Postby Tarethen » Fri Mar 13 2009 1:42am

This is where an Atlus/Sega partnership would be advantageous, because as soon as you slap Atlus on the front of a box, the masses begin slobbering and licking their lips wondering what it is.
Tarethen

jRPG Newsman
Shining Legend

Postby Dreco3000 » Fri Mar 13 2009 3:09am

honestly i dont think the masses of sega fans are that small anymore, maybe its just where i live but I still know tons of fans that like me wait for the newest releases and just hope and pray it will be a good one. Granted yes we arent a very large population but I do think we have enough to me noticeable
" The first step to knowing everything is to admit you know nothing. "

"People tell me to be more open minded but im afraid my brains will fall out."
" The first step to knowing everything is to admit you know nothing. "

"People tell me to be more open minded but im afraid my brains will fall out."
Dreco3000

Postby ZeXr0 » Fri Mar 20 2009 3:05am

Would it be possible to diassemble and translate like shining force 3 ?
ZeXr0

Postby Kaihaku » Fri Mar 20 2009 5:45am

ZeXr0 @ Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:05 am) wrote: Would it be possible to diassemble and translate like shining force 3 ?

While I don't know of any DS fan translations, there have been several GBA translations, Mother 3 and Dragon Warrior Monsters: Caravan Hearts for instance, so I'm confident that it is possible. The difficulty will depend on the system and the programming.
The Once and Future Kai
"The quick brown vox jumps ofer the lazy dog"
The Once and Future Kai
"The quick brown vox jumps ofer the lazy dog"
Kaihaku

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Silverwolf X » Fri Mar 20 2009 6:04am

There is some sexual references in the game. For some reason Anime+Sexual references don't go well with mainstream Western publishers.
THE Import Freak is IN da House.
On Western game publishing policy:
WHAT THE F***!?
WHAT THE F***!?
Silverwolf X

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Moogie » Fri Mar 20 2009 9:34am

Kaihaku @ Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:45 am) wrote: While I don't know of any DS fan translations, there have been several GBA translations, Mother 3 and Dragon Warrior Monsters: Caravan Hearts for instance, so I'm confident that it is possible. The difficulty will depend on the system and the programming.

Someone over at the gbatemp forums (I think they posted here too) had started a translation of the ROM, they managed to edit in the menu options etc (which is usually the easiest part to edit in a Shining title) but nothing else yet - and of course there would be *loads* to translate!
The SFC Forum RPG is now live! Enjoy :)
rpg.php
The SFC Forum RPG is now live! Enjoy :)
rpg.php
Moogie

Goddess of all things Shining
Administrator

Postby Silverwolf X » Fri Mar 20 2009 9:58am

There really isn't that much text actually. 10 Chapters+Postgame. Its pretty short when compared to other Japanese games I've played so far in terms of text.

Though I'll have to say, alot of it is pretty funny. LOL.

Some choice conversation excerpts (Not really spoilers but..:

WARNING: SPOILER!
WHAT THE F***!?
WHAT THE F***!?
Silverwolf X

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Jagori » Wed Apr 08 2009 3:33pm

Hey all,
Im new here, this obviously being my first post.

It was because of Shining Force 1 & 2 that I developed a passion not just for RPG's, but tactical RPG's.

ROTDD kind of annoyed me however, but I did get minor enjoyment out of it. (They can ram those Cards up thier @#$%, Oh Camelot, where for art thou).

Im currently playing through SF CD and getting mild enjoyment (Although the lack of exploration and hidden stuff erks me).

Thanks to this forum, I not only get to explorer SF3 TRANSLATED! But very possibly Feather too?! Ive been excited about this game and hoping it would rekindle my love for T-RPGs.

IF Sega or Atlas drops the ball on not bringing this to the UK or US market, can we expect the diehards will find some way to translate this puppy??! Is there anyone here who can take on that kind of job?

It was mentioned someone had already translated the menu, is there any hope of the translater furthering his efforts?

Sorry for all the Q's, Im excited for this game, but dont want to play until i can experience the dialogue as well, as story plays a part in my enjoyment.

Cheers!
Jagori

Postby Julian » Thu Apr 09 2009 8:29pm

Regardless of what anyone says... You won't get an honest or factual answer. We all feel your suspense and restlessness, But all you can really do is wait.
Julian

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Silverwolf X » Fri Apr 10 2009 3:41pm

In the meantime, Japan will be getting another Shining Force. LOL.
WHAT THE F***!?
WHAT THE F***!?
Silverwolf X

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Jagori » Fri Apr 10 2009 6:18pm

SF4?

I didnt know another was coming out, what console?
Jagori

Postby Silverwolf X » Fri Apr 10 2009 6:39pm

Jagori @ Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:18 pm) wrote: SF4?

I didnt know another was coming out, what console?

No one knows until 17/4.
WHAT THE F***!?
WHAT THE F***!?
Silverwolf X

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby MoRmEnGiL » Sat Apr 11 2009 2:52pm

Honestly I really don't find it that hard to market feather in us and eu.

I mean disgaea was huge, fire emblem games sell, there is definately a place for tactical rpgs, if fire emblem remake on DS sells, there is no particular reason feather wouldn't sell.

Even here in Greece I know loats of people who loved shining force games in genesis (or mega drive as it's called over here :p) and would love to see feather in english. And Greece is not exactly a large country. I imagine in us there would be many many shining force fans and even more strat/rpg fans.

Cmon sega, use the tactical rpg title gimmick, feather is perfectly promotable.
War..
War never changes..
War..
War never changes..
MoRmEnGiL

Postby Martin III » Thu Apr 16 2009 4:13am

Trouble is, just selling it to fans won't bring them even close to covering their costs. They need to sell it to general gamers, too - folks who have never even heard of Shining Force, many of whom have never even played a tactical RPG.

I think it's a worthwhile risk, though. Taking a chance on a quality game that doesn't fall into a mainstream genre is one of the ways game publishers get hits. If they won't even give a game like Feather a chance on Western shores, they might as well write off the whole Shining series outside of Japan. Which I dearly hope is not what Sega is doing.
"Sir Reginald, Duke of Chutney! ...And don't stick your tongue out at me, kid." - Disney's Robin Hood

"Hey, where's my Holy Grail?!" - Shining Tears X Wind
"Sir Reginald, Duke of Chutney! ...And don't stick your tongue out at me, kid." - Disney's Robin Hood

"Hey, where's my Holy Grail?!" - Shining Tears X Wind
Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby SegataSanshiro » Sun Apr 19 2009 9:12am

I'm not sure if Atlus would even be willing to publish to be honest. Since they did ogre tactics (which is painfully slow, somewhat fun, but shitty compared to shining force) they might not want to bring competition in to names they are associated in fear of pissing off whoever developed tactics ogre, just in case another one is to come.

Besides that, Feather isn't exactly fit for at least the Western market. We do, of course, have Yogo and fitness games, and most titles for the DS are eiher Mario, The Forbidden Series, or Spongebob. The last game Sega released for ds was Sonic Chronicles, which use the touch screen, but isnt exactly the best game theyve released under the sonic name.
Point is, Feather is a great game, but would probably confuse the hell out of most potential game buyers these days.. which is a shame.. Because when i play Feather, the DS seems like a completely different game system.

Who knows, maybe they will... but like someone sid the anime is great, especially the way max attacks look while in battle. The story part looks a bit like sakura taisen, appearane wise at least, which was very successful in Japan, yet SEGA never would release anywhere else

Postby Sailorcancer » Sun Apr 19 2009 10:22am

I guess we will find out more when E3 roles along June 2nd. If it is not there then I wouldn't consider it coming over.

If Square can bring Valkyrie Profile convent of the plume over here Sega can bring this over. In terms of SRPGs the VP game is awful. I'm a VP fan from days past but this was just awful.

Then again we never got A.S.H so...
Sailorcancer

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Smithy » Mon Apr 20 2009 2:46pm

I eagerly await the outcome of this. It looks like it could be on par (perhaps my personal opinion) with my all time favourite SFIII. I just pray it will be released to the west (and pray it will receive the love it deserves :) )
Smithy

Postby Sully » Mon Apr 27 2009 5:21pm

I can't believe that this isn't getting a Western release (as of now). I was looking forward to the release of this game since I heard about it months ago. If Sega is worried about sales, based on their recent numbers with Shining games...maybe they should stop making god-awful games and sticking the name "Shining" on it! This one looked like it could save the series...but now the Western world may never know...
"If all the humans are annihilated, that's ok. It's their destiny."

Fight my Brute!
Social Networking Rules Our Lives
"If all the humans are annihilated, that's ok. It's their destiny."

Fight my Brute!
Social Networking Rules Our Lives
Sully

shining philiac
Shining Member

Postby kh683 » Sat Jun 27 2009 5:20am

I bet if there is a English release planned then it could be released in the end of 2009 or early 2010.
kh683

PreviousNext

Return to Shining Force Feather