Best new Shining game in a decade?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23 2009 6:00pm
by Moogie
At long last a new Shining game which has really grabbed me. Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed many of the releases since SFIII but Feather has made me so happy my faith in the series may be somewhat restored.

I'll post more thoughts on the game as soon as I have time but for now I felt it deserved its own forum (although in doing that I sorta had to set up forums for the other 'new' games too... even if I don't think they're worthy!).

Hope you all enjoy the game - if you don't have it, you can buy it here, which will earn a little commission for SFC too :D

More soon!

Re: Best new Shining game in a decade?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23 2009 9:03pm
by sulfuroxp
its a Supernova Level 4 ( :confused: )
hahaha!

very good game XP

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23 2009 9:50pm
by Novangel X
This will be the first shining game I get since SF3 and RODD. Im waiting for a US release date so I can reserve it. Um... anyone know if a US release is planned? I really want to play this in ENG.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23 2009 10:38pm
by TyrantRevolver
I would like to see it in english as well..... however, considering how Sega hasn't even announced that it will be released stateside (let alone a date) I opted to buy the import and dvd.

That said, I haven't been this excited about Shining Force since..... Shining Force III scenarios..... it's sad but true. I never really jumped on the whole non srpg band wagon. I still want to give some of them a try - but, Sega REALLY needed this.

Hell, I think this is the best thing that could have happened outside of a brand new console release.......so we'll see if they make the right choice and communicate to us that they care about the fans that chose Shining Force from the beginning.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23 2009 11:54pm
by Alpha
I'm also looking forward to Feather, and really do hope an english version gets released as I'd never get a japanese version.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24 2009 12:12am
by Seijuro Hiko
TyrantRevolver @ Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:38 pm) wrote: That said, I haven't been this excited about Shining Force since..... Shining Force III scenarios..... it's sad but true. I never really jumped on the whole non srpg band wagon. I still want to give some of them a try - but, Sega REALLY needed this.

Hell, I think this is the best thing that could have happened outside of a brand new console release.......so we'll see if they make the right choice and communicate to us that they care about the fans that chose Shining Force from the beginning.

Can?t blame you, I?m sure many think as you do (me included). Anyway, since the beggining I was very interested in this game and thankfully, the game returned a bit to Shining Force's roots, which is a good thing and we must show our support for "this" direction :)

After hearing the good impressions from Moogie and other members, I couldn?t wait more so the game should be dispatched soon (via Play-Asia) :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24 2009 12:13am
by Vyk
This might have to be my first import game

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24 2009 12:21am
by Tarethen
Play Asia still hasn't shipped my copy...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24 2009 1:48am
by Martin III
:thumbsup: for the game getting its own board!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24 2009 3:19am
by Kaerou
Awaiting the English version here too.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24 2009 8:31am
by Novangel X
Im going to hold out faith that SEGA will do the right thing and send it to us soon enough, just hope this wont be like Shining Force 3 all over again. :damnit: On the plus side its good to see that this game is getting everyone back into shining. :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24 2009 2:19pm
by Moogie
I've emailed my old contact at SoA today to enquire about Feather... fingers crossed!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24 2009 4:29pm
by Shining Hopeful
For anyone who currently owns this (lucky them); is the combat actually turn-based?

As in : No time bars, limit breaks, enemies hitting you after a certain period even if it's "your" turn.

For me turn-based means that on your turn if you do nothing, meaning fail to press a button, the game will not carry on regardless.

What I like to call the SF test.

If it is, then I really hope an English release does materialise.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24 2009 4:38pm
by Moogie
I would say yes to that, it is turn based.

The only issues of timing are when you are on the side-on attack animation, where if you time your button presses well you can get in multiple hits - but the enemy won't do anything if you don't press anything; or when the enemy attacks you if you press A or B at the right time you have a chance of regaining some HP or FP.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24 2009 5:16pm
by zyloandbleau
So are there any towns, or roaming in between battles or is it straight battles?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24 2009 5:24pm
by Moogie
I haven't encountered any roaming as such yet (aside from within the ship), but I'm only 5 battles in :) Lots of story though... and bear in mind the Gaidens didn't have roaming either.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24 2009 7:05pm
by Novangel X
Well from the way it seems, if it doesnt get an ENG release it will be worth importing. JPN or ENG it sounds like it would be really fun to play(old school shining with new gameplay additions make me think its a winner with or without town roaming). :excited:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24 2009 7:34pm
by Curious Orange
Woohoo - mine has shipped today. Not long til I can play it now. :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24 2009 8:32pm
by Kaerou
Moogie @ Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:24 pm) wrote: I haven't encountered any roaming as such yet (aside from within the ship), but I'm only 5 battles in :) Lots of story though... and bear in mind the Gaidens didn't have roaming either.

Pitty about a lack of roaming.. its something I enjoy in a Shining Force Game.

Still looking forward to it though!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24 2009 10:37pm
by Marky
How would you compare with the other shining force games (SF1, 2, and III) in terms of gameplay. I would ask about story and character development, but so far it is in Japanese and not many folks want to talk about it or will have a difficult time translating it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25 2009 12:43am
by Martin III
Marky @ Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:37 pm) wrote: How would you compare with the other shining force games (SF1, 2, and III) in terms of gameplay.

Why would you compare it to the console games instead of the other portables?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25 2009 2:01am
by Ringo Le MANOSAUR
Well, if Moogie likes it, that's good enough for me! Goodbye money, hello Shining Force Feather javascript:emoticon(':)')

All of a sudden I feel like eating rice.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25 2009 2:31am
by Kaihaku
Martin III @ Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:43 am) wrote: Why would you compare it to the console games instead of the other portables?

Different generations. The Gamegear has some significant technical limitations, the DS might be limited compared to a Wii but it can easily manage anything a Genesis could. I'd say it's fair to compare Feather to any of the old Shining Force titles, not just the old portable games.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25 2009 3:29am
by Martin III
It seems to me that the different natures of portable and console transcend any differences in technical abilities. Technical abilities don't do much to determine gameplay.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25 2009 5:52am
by Marky
Martin III @ Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:43 am) wrote: Why would you compare it to the console games instead of the other portables?

I just wanted to know how similar or different or innovative the game play is from the last strategy shining games.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25 2009 6:37am
by Shining Wolf
Well hopefully since they have these latest Shining games here in America they will bring it over, but i wouldn't put too much faith in it after that whole SF3 thing...but either way i'll have to wait on a US release since I cannot read japanese and any translation project would take forever

Is the SF3 translations even done yet?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25 2009 10:11am
by Kaihaku
Martin III @ Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:29 am) wrote: It seems to me that the different natures of portable and console transcend any differences in technical abilities. Technical abilities don't do much to determine gameplay.

I'm fairly certain, though not absolutely positive, that limited memory and graphical capabilities affected much of early portable design choices. So, I don't quite understand what you mean by the different nature of console vs. portable. At least, not for SRPGs, or RPGs in general, though they have also managed a fun multiplayer portable Mario Kart. There have been a wealth of SNES/Genesis era portable RPG remakes and I'm having trouble thinking of one that didn't work just as well portable as on a console. But maybe I'm missing something?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25 2009 10:25am
by Moogie
QUOTE (Marky @ Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:37 pm) How would you compare with the other shining force games (SF1, 2, and III) in terms of gameplay.? I would ask about story and character development, but so far it is in Japanese and not many folks want to talk about it or will have a difficult time translating it.
Since I can't read much at all of the Japanese, all I can say is that with fewer characters than in the old Forces, and with so many story scenes it would seem the character development is great. There's a bit of humour in the game from what little I can understand, which works nicely. I don't know how typically 'Shiny' the story is, but we have to accept that the old storyline was Camelot's and shouldn't be tampered with anymore than Sega already have (but shouldn't have). Best that the past is in the past now.

I would actually say I'm enjoying the gameplay more than any of the other Shining Forces now I've gotten used to the huge stats. I always liked the relatively low stats in the old games compared with other RPGs but I feel the high stats are very much a necessity in this game to justify the awesome attacks.

At first I thought some of the attacks were a bit over the top, but thinking back to spells and attacks in SFIII, it's not really any different. Some beautiful anime sequences in the attacks and the graphics in general are really lovely. The battles do look Shiny, I love the little sprites and I think the zoom feature on the battle map is really handy.

During the attack scenes (scene's not really the word though as it's interactive unlike the old games) I thought the sprites were a bit on the small side and that it could do with having the old black cinematic borders, but having encountered some bigger enemies now I see the scale is quite fitting.

It's maybe not as epic as SFIII and yes it would be nice to have town roaming but we're used to not having that on portable games. It's already a 130MB game so pretty large for a DS and I do enjoy having the cutscenes with voiceovers etc. I'm finding it fairly easy at the moment but I'm still only a few hours in. Nonetheless I am absolutely loving it and I can't wait to get my DS out in a moment and crack on ;)

I love the variety of attacks available and the amount of control over them - and all the planning involved, figuring out which combination of attacks will do the most damage etc. Individual character turns are more involved and offer more options overall.

I'll put the bits of gameplay info in a spoiler box because some people might want to enjoy the surprise of how it works, I know I did :)

GAMEPLAY SPOILERS FOLLOW!

WARNING: SPOILER!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25 2009 12:20pm
by Shining Wolf
Holy moly Moog thats a mouthful lol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25 2009 1:05pm
by Kaerou
Heh, its actually pretty nice to see Moogie passionate about it again!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25 2009 1:05pm
by sulfuroxp

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25 2009 1:11pm
by Moogie
Please if you are going to quote spoilers, put them inside a spoiler tag!

Apologies for misdescribing an element (although personally I consider them the same, and am used to them being ice from other Shining games).

I guess I'm not far enough into the game/high enough level yet to know about some of the values and had no intention of misleading. Would have been nice if you'd spoilered your post properly as it would have been a pleasant surprise to find out for myself that the limits were not as I had thought.

....and yes. I'm already very passionate about this game and quite surprised to be so :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25 2009 1:20pm
by sulfuroxp
sorry, am new using spoilers XP

mmm... true???

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25 2009 1:31pm
by Moogie
I had wondered if they had worked anything like that into the game but hadn't tested the idea out yet - if it's true then that's another great tactical element! :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26 2009 2:54am
by Nemezy
I know it was said that there is no town roaming, so is there any roaming at all? (world map, etc.) Are you able to backtrack any, as in not being limited to how slow/fast you wish/want to progress? I just dislike games that try to set the pace for you.

How do the battles feel? Easy, Hard, just right? Does there seem to be a decent balance to the game? (balance seems to be a word sega doesn't understand in most games) Hopefully no game breaking powerhouses or a character that's not worth the effort...

Sorry if that's alot to answer. I'm just kinda excited but not really enthusiastic at the same time. I do hope for an english version. Everything sounds pretty good so far.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26 2009 3:42am
by Ringo Le MANOSAUR
You get to roam around your HQ. It's not much, but it's a good break to going through menus.

As for pace.. I've only cleared one quest so far, so I'm not sure, but there seems to be a 'quest list', so perhaps you can choose the order you do them in, or redo previous ones.. pure speculation at this point (must resist playing at work.. wait until trip home >.<)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26 2009 5:14am
by Tarethen
It sold 30K copies this week. Not bad, I guess, seeing as how it was up against Star Ocean 4 and Idolmaster...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26 2009 12:06pm
by Moogie
Indeed, HQ is the only roaming I've found so far, but that's still more than in the Gaidens.

The quest list allows you to choose which stage to do next, to a degree. You can go back and redo battles, but story scenes can only be viewed once. I kinda tried in the wrong order before I lost my save and was wondering why it was so bloody difficult trying to beat a battle I'd found myself in! With hindsight I actually did pretty well at it considering how underlevelled my characters were.

I have to be honest and say that so far I am not finding it very challenging, but maybe I'm just too good ;) lol. Nah, I think it's a bit on the easy side but still very enjoyable and probably will get harder as I get further into the game. About 9 hours in now. I wonder if completing it will unlock a harder mode? That would be great.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26 2009 12:57pm
by Nemezy
Thanks for the insight guys. I guess my only other question will be is how long is the game, but I'm gonna have to wait for an answer on that one. :shifty:

Again hopefully they will release it state side and euro. They definatly should have the incentive seeing how well FFTactics, Disgaea, and Fire Emblem has been doing on the current portable gaming consoles............................................................................................................................................
..........................................(yes these dots are for you sega)....( :damnit: ).........................

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26 2009 4:36pm
by TyrantRevolver
Star Ocean 4 has definitely been getting in the way a bit (amazing game) but I am very pleased with SF Feather thus far.... It's really above and beyond my expectations.

Hopefully Sega wakes up and smells the coffee, or we'll have to run to their HQ and beat them with used copies of Neo and Exa!

(Sorry to anyone who loves those games, their good in their own right....just not Shining Force to me though.)

*EDIT* By the way, Bail is the most awesome looking Centaur I have ever seen! He's so fricken cool and I looooooove his weapon. Even my wife was impressed with how well animated his sprite is and she fell in love with his design as well.

God I hope they make a fig for him someday.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27 2009 3:32am
by jj984jj
Moogie @ Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:06 pm) wrote: Indeed, HQ is the only roaming I've found so far, but that's still more than in the Gaidens.

The quest list allows you to choose which stage to do next, to a degree. You can go back and redo battles, but story scenes can only be viewed once. I kinda tried in the wrong order before I lost my save and was wondering why it was so bloody difficult trying to beat a battle I'd found myself in! With hindsight I actually did pretty well at it considering how underlevelled my characters were.

I have to be honest and say that so far I am not finding it very challenging, but maybe I'm just too good ;) lol. Nah, I think it's a bit on the easy side but still very enjoyable and probably will get harder as I get further into the game. About 9 hours in now. I wonder if completing it will unlock a harder mode? That would be great.

Unfortunately this is the biggest complaint I've seen for the game so far, while the new combat system is fun the game goes from easy to very easy.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27 2009 4:56am
by Tarethen
jj984jj @ Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:32 pm) wrote: Unfortunately this is the biggest complaint I've seen for the game so far, while the new combat system is fun the game goes from easy to very easy.

That's both good and bad. Seeing as how (whenever my copy arrives), I'll be playing it in a language I don't know very well and giving the fact that I lack an enormous amount of time, being easy isn't that big of an issue.

Also, first NeoGAF, then RPGFan. You're everywhere!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02 2009 6:30am
by Silverwolf X
Haven't played much either for Feather, since I am still on a 3rd run for Star ocean but well, what little I've played I'll say this. I find Alfin addictive. LOL.

"Its your imagination."

Her most common line against Jin. LOL.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02 2009 10:17pm
by Ashley
Ok, this seems to be the general thread for gameplay discussion, so I'll keep the following question here rather than starting a new topic. I'm not sure how much of this should be spoiler tagged, by the way, so if I've done anything wrong then please tell me and I'll correct it.

I've done a couple of battles so far but I'm still not sure about how the attacks work...

I get that you press the attack button when the meter is right in the middle but what I don't understand is the real-time element of the strikes. How far apart must I pace each one? And should I always be hitting the button that I initiated the attack with or can I combo different attacks together?

Also: Can you assign new weapons/attacks/magic to each of the four buttons or are they set for the whole game? If so, how do I change them?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02 2009 11:22pm
by sulfuroxp
QUOTE (Ashley @ Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:17 pm) I've done a couple of battles so far but I'm still not sure about how the attacks work...

I get that you press the attack button when the meter is right in the middle but what I don't understand is the real-time element of the strikes. How far apart must I pace each one? And should I always be hitting the button that I initiated the attack with or can I combo different attacks together?

Also: Can you assign new weapons/attacks/magic to each of the four buttons or are they set for the whole game? If so, how do I change them?
each attack has a FC Cost (the no HP bar)
in the begining, you have only 4 attack display...

2 are Normal Type
2 are (depend on the chara) Element Type

one is more powerful than the other, but has more cost

Elements are Fire, Wind, Thunder, Water, Shine and Dark

the meter is for gets a extra, or an minus damage depend in where you stop

the idea is only use one of the 2 Type of attack, to gets (if you hit very times in one attack) a Burst

the Magic is an another option, the third... attack is the one
so magic cannot by asigned in buttons...

no weapons in this game

PD : Miryam Magic is a Heal Type Spell

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03 2009 12:00am
by Ashley
Thanks for the help.

Just one more question. If I start and attack with A, would I then have to tap A,A,A, etc...

Or could I change EG: A, B, A, B etc...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03 2009 12:13am
by sulfuroxp
learn this

1.- Use the 100 FC Points
2.- Use the same Type Attack...

you can use ABXY as you want, but the idea is use AB or XY depend on how much damage do you impact it...

you can see the damage before tour attack, when you select the monster

and if you have the 100 FC Points, you can attack 3 monsters in the same attack

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03 2009 10:02am
by Moogie
Also at 100FC you can perform your Force Max skill (2nd menu option - 3rd option says Force Max) but only once per battle. I won't spoil it for you and tell you what each character has for their Force Max. Some are attacks and some are for your Force's benefit.

As sulfuroxp mentioned, at 100FC you can attack up to 3 monsters all at once (no extra FC cost), the first of whom will receive full damage, the 2nd 75% and the 3rd 50%. This is subject to change later in the game when you develop your characters weapon class.

On that 2nd menu the first option is Union and the second is Connect. A union attack allows you to attack with two characters at a time, combining their FC points and dividing them equally. Eg if you have two characters with 45FC they can union attack a monster together and have 90FC to use between them. The character whose turn it is attacks first and then whichever attack button you use for them is what's used automatically by the 2nd character in the union, then you choose the next attack for the first character, and the 2nd will follow suite... and so on until you're out of FC or stop attacking.

I haven't played much with Connect attacks as I've not wanted to make the game too easy on my first playthrough, but you can use a team of 5 characters (and their combined FC) to attack a single enemy. All characters in the Connect must follow one another in turn order, with no enemy attacks inbetween (turn order is the bar at the bottom of the top screen)... so if you see a bunch of characters whose turns are one after the other, if they are in range of each other they can connect to attack. With this you perform attacks with each character in turn, using R to 'tag-team' in the next character. In this way you can build up your Burst Attack level and cause more damage.

The ABXY buttons can be reassigned to different skills as you learn them, from the character status select screen the 2nd option down is to manage their skills.

Right, time for breakfast and then I need to finish off the final boss. I spent some time on it yesterday but had to stop to make dinner... I wonder how much longer it'll take?!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03 2009 11:46am
by Ashley
Thanks for the detailed info. Very helpful.

Another question: a new robot has appeared on the airship and he seems to offer the ability to upgrade the characters.

Am I right in thinking that, and is it basically the same way in which you could promote a character at Lvl10 in the old games?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03 2009 11:55am
by Moogie
Top right robot, yes?

That's the weapon/character rank robot. It's not quite like promoting... more like the weapon upgrades in Tears if you played that.

The options are A, B or C class (although I think for the first rank increase you only have one option - rank them up as soon as you can afford to, it has its benefits).

Information about the rank upgrades follows.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03 2009 5:12pm
by sulfuroxp
in the Connect Attack

the six chara is random, ecept the last (i only see the first or the second to repeat)

all connect characters use his turn

the next chara (second - third - etc) use de A Button attack
i recommend change A attack with a Normal Type Level 3, you have 4 hits for each chara and make 1.25 burst for each chara

Burst Level 6 is the last

if you use Elemental Type and not Normal, you charge the last bar, its cause much more damage a an rapid makeit

EDIT = the sixth chara have 150 FC

http://forums.shiningforcecentral.com/i ... opic=13832
please post here, 4 of the 6 costume of Alfin :B

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04 2009 2:58pm
by Thousand
got my copy as well and it really seems like a cool game, although I only have played the first 2 battles so far. Does anyone have a little guide to the menu and stuff? At the moment I don't have the time to read through the whole thread to check if this has been answered before, I'll do it, as soon as I've time for it :blush:

Another thing, is there any way to Egress like in the old SF games? I accidentally reset a fight once, but I don't think I got extra XP, so I guess it wasn't really like the old Egress :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05 2009 4:19am
by Kaihaku
Thousand @ Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:58 pm) wrote: got my copy as well and it really seems like a cool game, although I only have played the first 2 battles so far. Does anyone have a little guide to the menu and stuff? At the moment I don't have the time to read through the whole thread to check if this has been answered before, I'll do it, as soon as I've time for it :blush:

Another thing, is there any way to Egress like in the old SF games? I accidentally reset a fight once, but I don't think I got extra XP, so I guess it wasn't really like the old Egress :roll:

Moogie has been posting bits of the menus here and there in this forum. With a bit of looking I'm sure you could put together most of it.

I don't think there is egress but apparently you can refight(?) old battles or at least take the battles out of order.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05 2009 9:36am
by Moogie
If I've got time today I'll try to put together some kind of play guide with what the menus do and the other info I've posted around in various topics :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09 2009 4:26am
by Seijuro Hiko
Yay!! I?ve got mine too, and so far, this is a great experience in terms of gameplay in my opinion. Even though I don?t understand anything the characters are saying, it seems it has alot of humor, alot of dialogue and many development going on there!

The level-up system is a nice touch too, not exactly what we always see on RPGs, so a good surprise on this aspect. Another great thing is the animation and sprites... somehow they looked crappier on the v?deos that have been showd :p

Anyway, some photos of the package (is it allowed to post them? if yes, just delete the post then)

When can we see some Feather avatars around here? (any chance to get some 100x100 to use on other forums?) :excited:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09 2009 1:59pm
by sulfuroxp

the ship is de Nazca Ship :confused:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09 2009 11:48pm
by Tarethen
sulfuroxp @ Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:59 am) wrote: ...

the ship is de Nazca Ship :confused:

I don't think so.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11 2009 2:08am
by Martin III
My copy finally came in the mail yesterday - about time, Play Asia!

Looking quite excellent thus far. I'm enjoying the feel of the whole thing. While I haven't gotten into the gameplay deep enough to cast a rating, the basics at least are well-handled.

But really, this game needs an English language version. Sooooo much dialogue... Sooooo many menus... It's playable enough in Japanese, but I feel like I'm missing out on the full experience.

On a final note, the Feather is the coolest Shining Headquarters ever. Sure, the Caravan was more unique, but you couldn't see the inside of the thing. This baby is stylish and luxurious.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11 2009 2:10am
by Tarethen
I just got Rush... Doing a bit of leveling up now. So far, so good.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13 2009 4:53pm
by Dr. Casey
Shining Force Feather looks like a nice game, but I don't know about that Jin. Is he as unpleasant in personality as he is in appearance? He looks like a total punk. Much love for Baile, though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13 2009 7:29pm
by zexxar
I played the game round about 13h during this week and although I don't understand a single word I have to say I really like it.

And because of Jin I somehow really like his appearance because I think he's not such a cliche hero like e.g Bowie was.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15 2009 1:17am
by Martin III
Dr. Casey @ Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:53 pm) wrote: Shining Force Feather looks like a nice game, but I don't know about that Jin. Is he as unpleasant in personality as he is in appearance? He looks like a total punk.

According to Silverwolf(in an older topic): "Jin's personality is typical rowdy, confident guy with abit of a foul mouth and hates formality, but he is really a big softie at heart."

I don't much care for Jin's appearance in itself, either, but it's a different look that I might grow to like. My first impression of Milanor(Yggdra Union) was that he was some weird cross-breed with a rat that managed to go even more horribly wrong, but by the end of the game I actually enjoyed his appearance.

EDIT: Fixed formatting of quote.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17 2009 10:16am
by Silverwolf X
Jin isn't as rowdy as you think he is, and his antics are great fun. He gets along with almost anyone and his heck care hard to faze personality is great. The guy had me laughing crazy a few times.

Once Alfin develops herself more, the dialouge she will have with him is nice. As for early game, Jin and Bail's dialouge is also pretty hilarious. Anyway, Jin compliments wellw ith the rest of the cast, so his rpesence really si there and you'll like him.

Provided you can understand japanese that is. Else it'll just look like he is always angry or being a sarcastic jerk. LOL.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19 2009 9:41pm
by sulfuroxp
Pipin, Giyaon (the 6 times boss), Rayfaa, Zeeko, Longun and Shizuma to playable characters??? not a bad idea :excited:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20 2009 6:07am
by Silverwolf X
Regardless of the fact he looks mean, Jin's just a big softie... one that

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01 2009 8:22am
by SegataSanshiro
Moogie @ Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:25 am) wrote:
The battles do look Shiny, I love the little sprites and I think the zoom feature on the battle map is really handy.

Especially because Flightplan graphics are much different then any other series.. They are good, especially on max attacks, but not the type of 3d I'm used to.

This probably is the best shining game is a decade, because it has inspired me to go back and finish the final conflict gaiden. And maybe finish neo (that is if i can beat the damn boss). I havent even touche EXA or Tears yet... but Ill probably have to play SFIII again because it is undoubtedly the best.

While Feather has some good improvments ont he tactical part of the series, I somehow wish it was kept in the straight line block type form... but maybe that is too classic lol.

A game looks pretty nice, plays smoothly, is fun, and definitely worthy for the series... I guess I just wish it was more like some of the older ones.

It seems more and more like a good game as the story progresses on. Does anyone think battles take a little too long tho?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08 2009 3:40pm
by Jagori
Hey Moogie or any current players.

I have a question RE: Game content. Feel free (and I suggest) throwing any answer into a hide spoiler box.

One of the big draws for me personally in SF games were hidden items, content and of course, hidden characters. Have you come across anything along these lines yet??

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09 2009 10:11am
by Silverwolf X
Nope, but there is a cameo from EXA and some bonus tougher battles. Nothing is hidden or anything though and the game is straightforward as can be.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09 2009 1:38pm
by Jagori
Thanks for letting me know.

Bit of a dissapointment, I dont remember any SF games (ones done in the strat-RPG format that we love), not having hidden content.

I remember the first time I played through SFII. Finding out i missed out on this little guy >>>> :eyebrow:
I love beating a game, and then rebeating it a 2nd time while uncovering every hidden aspect of the game and ensuring 100% completion. No hidden content = lack of replay value??

Are there ANY draws to replaying the game? (has anyone finished it yet).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10 2009 3:40pm
by Silverwolf X
Not that I know of. Other than watching the characters' antics all over again.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11 2009 3:41am
by Martin III
I really don't see lack of hidden content as a disappointment. Sure, Final Conflict has two hidden characters, but they're both completely superfluous in terms of usage. Gaiden I's hidden characters are more interesting, but you can't use all 17 non-hidden characters in a single playthrough anyway, so if you think the game has no replay to begin with, does two hidden characters really make it such a thrill to play over? Gaiden II is pretty much the same deal, except with the mime theatre thrown in.

Hidden content is extremely limited as a motivation for replay, anyway. Assuming you don't find everything the first time through(and that does happen to folks), you just look up a guide and then get everything on the next play. So at absolute best case scenario, it gets one extra playthrough out of you.

Replay is much more a function of variability(e.g. party selection, equipment, branching storyline, etc.) and overall game quality. From what I've seen, Feather does pretty well on both those counts.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21 2009 6:28am
by Julian
Just got my copy of SFF in the mail yesterday, and I'm on the 6th battle now. I'm actually really enjoying the battles of the game, but I can't speak for the script, not knowing japanese, sadly. The game is really giving me a Shining feel compared to the last half dozen "shining" games that poisoned my time. Debate with me or not, but this game is by far the best Shining game in a LONG time...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01 2009 5:10pm
by lastknightleft
is there gonna be any updating of the main page now that your love of SF has been rekindled moogie?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02 2009 12:28am
by Martin III
Yeah, Feather is long overdue for a section on the main page. Skip Shining Wind, Exa, and Road 2 if you must, but put one for Feather!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16 2011 7:01pm
by Kaihaku
TyrantRevolver wrote: *EDIT* By the way, Bail is the most awesome looking Centaur I have ever seen! He's so fricken cool and I looooooove his weapon. Even my wife was impressed with how well animated his sprite is and she fell in love with his design as well.

Bail is pretty epic. :thumbsup: I wish they had watered down some of the other designs but all in all I'm actually a fan of most of the characters stylistically. I've been looking for sprites but I haven't had much luck, aside from Jin, in either English or Japanese. I guess I'm going to have to rip them myself. :( Stinks that my computers have weird issues emulating DS games.

zexxar wrote:And because of Jin I somehow really like his appearance because I think he's not such a cliche hero like e.g Bowie was.

Same here, I like how he stands out from all the other heroes that have come before him. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16 2011 7:26pm
by Omega Entity
He looks mildly insane to me... it's the eyes. They're those of a psychopath.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16 2011 7:27pm
by Kaihaku

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16 2011 7:30pm
by Omega Entity
I was referring to Jin XD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16 2011 7:31pm
by Kaihaku
I know. ;) That's some Japanese fanart I came across, Jin on a piece of toast.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17 2011 2:42am
by Martin III
Woah, that is some crazy fanart! :eyebrow: Always cool to see people doing something totally nuts for the fandom.

I agree with Omega; Jin does look a bit on the insane side. As noted above, I was hopeful that his appearance would grow on me, but I still have mixed feelings about him. Definitely my least favorite of the character designs. That said, I love all the others. :thumbsup: Bail really is the toughest-looking centaur in the series. Even what's-his-name from Shining Tears can't top him.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06 2012 3:32am
by Canta
I've been looking forward to trying this one, so, would anyone say its worth it to hunt down an import? I still play Shining Force for the gba and Shining Force II now and then (thank you Steam), and have been wanting a new Shining Force game like the older ones. Plus the description of the battle system reminded me of Namco X Capcom, and that was always fun~

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07 2012 12:09pm
by Moogie
Definately worth importing, there's a guide posted somewhere on here (probably stickied) to help you through if you can't read any Japanese :)