Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force Feather
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Best new Shining game in a decade?

Discuss the latest SRPG in the Shining Series, available now for Nintendo DS!

Re: Best new Shining game in a decade?

Postby zexxar » Fri Mar 13 2009 7:29pm

I played the game round about 13h during this week and although I don't understand a single word I have to say I really like it.

And because of Jin I somehow really like his appearance because I think he's not such a cliche hero like e.g Bowie was.
Trent @ Sun Apr 10 2011 1:00pm wrote:You're the ultimate team player zexxar, always coming to the rescue!

samsengir wrote:Zexxar is a fabulous human being with more sex appeal in his little finger than all of F&G put together. Possibly all of SFC combined.
Trent @ Sun Apr 10 2011 1:00pm wrote:You're the ultimate team player zexxar, always coming to the rescue!

samsengir wrote:Zexxar is a fabulous human being with more sex appeal in his little finger than all of F&G put together. Possibly all of SFC combined.
zexxar

Team Game Saviour
Shining Legend

Postby Martin III » Sun Mar 15 2009 1:17am

Dr. Casey @ Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:53 pm) wrote: Shining Force Feather looks like a nice game, but I don't know about that Jin. Is he as unpleasant in personality as he is in appearance? He looks like a total punk.

According to Silverwolf(in an older topic): "Jin's personality is typical rowdy, confident guy with abit of a foul mouth and hates formality, but he is really a big softie at heart."

I don't much care for Jin's appearance in itself, either, but it's a different look that I might grow to like. My first impression of Milanor(Yggdra Union) was that he was some weird cross-breed with a rat that managed to go even more horribly wrong, but by the end of the game I actually enjoyed his appearance.

EDIT: Fixed formatting of quote.
"Sir Reginald, Duke of Chutney! ...And don't stick your tongue out at me, kid." - Disney's Robin Hood

"Hey, where's my Holy Grail?!" - Shining Tears X Wind
"Sir Reginald, Duke of Chutney! ...And don't stick your tongue out at me, kid." - Disney's Robin Hood

Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Silverwolf X » Tue Mar 17 2009 10:16am

Jin isn't as rowdy as you think he is, and his antics are great fun. He gets along with almost anyone and his heck care hard to faze personality is great. The guy had me laughing crazy a few times.

Once Alfin develops herself more, the dialouge she will have with him is nice. As for early game, Jin and Bail's dialouge is also pretty hilarious. Anyway, Jin compliments wellw ith the rest of the cast, so his rpesence really si there and you'll like him.

Provided you can understand japanese that is. Else it'll just look like he is always angry or being a sarcastic jerk. LOL.
THE Import Freak is IN da House.
On Western game publishing policy:
WHAT THE F***!?
WHAT THE F***!?
Silverwolf X

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby sulfuroxp » Thu Mar 19 2009 9:41pm

Pipin, Giyaon (the 6 times boss), Rayfaa, Zeeko, Longun and Shizuma to playable characters??? not a bad idea :excited:
sulfuroxp

Lost Shining Purple
Shining Legend

Postby Silverwolf X » Fri Mar 20 2009 6:07am

Regardless of the fact he looks mean, Jin's just a big softie... one that
WARNING: SPOILER!
WHAT THE F***!?
WHAT THE F***!?
Silverwolf X

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby SegataSanshiro » Wed Apr 01 2009 8:22am

Moogie @ Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:25 am) wrote:
The battles do look Shiny, I love the little sprites and I think the zoom feature on the battle map is really handy.

Especially because Flightplan graphics are much different then any other series.. They are good, especially on max attacks, but not the type of 3d I'm used to.

This probably is the best shining game is a decade, because it has inspired me to go back and finish the final conflict gaiden. And maybe finish neo (that is if i can beat the damn boss). I havent even touche EXA or Tears yet... but Ill probably have to play SFIII again because it is undoubtedly the best.

While Feather has some good improvments ont he tactical part of the series, I somehow wish it was kept in the straight line block type form... but maybe that is too classic lol.

A game looks pretty nice, plays smoothly, is fun, and definitely worthy for the series... I guess I just wish it was more like some of the older ones.

It seems more and more like a good game as the story progresses on. Does anyone think battles take a little too long tho?

Postby Jagori » Wed Apr 08 2009 3:40pm

Hey Moogie or any current players.

I have a question RE: Game content. Feel free (and I suggest) throwing any answer into a hide spoiler box.

One of the big draws for me personally in SF games were hidden items, content and of course, hidden characters. Have you come across anything along these lines yet??
Jagori

Postby Silverwolf X » Thu Apr 09 2009 10:11am

Nope, but there is a cameo from EXA and some bonus tougher battles. Nothing is hidden or anything though and the game is straightforward as can be.
WHAT THE F***!?
WHAT THE F***!?
Silverwolf X

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Jagori » Thu Apr 09 2009 1:38pm

Thanks for letting me know.

Bit of a dissapointment, I dont remember any SF games (ones done in the strat-RPG format that we love), not having hidden content.

I remember the first time I played through SFII. Finding out i missed out on this little guy >>>> :eyebrow:
I love beating a game, and then rebeating it a 2nd time while uncovering every hidden aspect of the game and ensuring 100% completion. No hidden content = lack of replay value??

Are there ANY draws to replaying the game? (has anyone finished it yet).
Jagori

Postby Silverwolf X » Fri Apr 10 2009 3:40pm

Not that I know of. Other than watching the characters' antics all over again.
WHAT THE F***!?
WHAT THE F***!?
Silverwolf X

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Martin III » Sat Apr 11 2009 3:41am

I really don't see lack of hidden content as a disappointment. Sure, Final Conflict has two hidden characters, but they're both completely superfluous in terms of usage. Gaiden I's hidden characters are more interesting, but you can't use all 17 non-hidden characters in a single playthrough anyway, so if you think the game has no replay to begin with, does two hidden characters really make it such a thrill to play over? Gaiden II is pretty much the same deal, except with the mime theatre thrown in.

Hidden content is extremely limited as a motivation for replay, anyway. Assuming you don't find everything the first time through(and that does happen to folks), you just look up a guide and then get everything on the next play. So at absolute best case scenario, it gets one extra playthrough out of you.

Replay is much more a function of variability(e.g. party selection, equipment, branching storyline, etc.) and overall game quality. From what I've seen, Feather does pretty well on both those counts.

Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Julian » Tue Jul 21 2009 6:28am

Just got my copy of SFF in the mail yesterday, and I'm on the 6th battle now. I'm actually really enjoying the battles of the game, but I can't speak for the script, not knowing japanese, sadly. The game is really giving me a Shining feel compared to the last half dozen "shining" games that poisoned my time. Debate with me or not, but this game is by far the best Shining game in a LONG time...
Julian

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby lastknightleft » Thu Oct 01 2009 5:10pm

is there gonna be any updating of the main page now that your love of SF has been rekindled moogie?
lastknightleft

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Martin III » Fri Oct 02 2009 12:28am

Yeah, Feather is long overdue for a section on the main page. Skip Shining Wind, Exa, and Road 2 if you must, but put one for Feather!

Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Kaihaku » Wed Mar 16 2011 7:01pm

TyrantRevolver wrote: *EDIT* By the way, Bail is the most awesome looking Centaur I have ever seen! He's so fricken cool and I looooooove his weapon. Even my wife was impressed with how well animated his sprite is and she fell in love with his design as well.

Bail is pretty epic. :thumbsup: I wish they had watered down some of the other designs but all in all I'm actually a fan of most of the characters stylistically. I've been looking for sprites but I haven't had much luck, aside from Jin, in either English or Japanese. I guess I'm going to have to rip them myself. :( Stinks that my computers have weird issues emulating DS games.

zexxar wrote:And because of Jin I somehow really like his appearance because I think he's not such a cliche hero like e.g Bowie was.

Same here, I like how he stands out from all the other heroes that have come before him. :thumbsup:
Kaihaku

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Omega Entity » Wed Mar 16 2011 7:26pm

He looks mildly insane to me... it's the eyes. They're those of a psychopath.
(8:23:45 PM) ehow1990: stupid question: why do you have hay there?
(8:23:54 PM) YsFanatic18: She was feedigng horses
(8:23:58 PM) MXC0Spike: Barn sex
(8:24:07 PM) ahath714: She stuffs.
(8:24:39 PM) ehow1990: ask a stupid question and everybody has an answer XD
Omega Entity

*jiggle*
Shining Legend

Postby Kaihaku » Wed Mar 16 2011 7:27pm

Kaihaku

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Omega Entity » Wed Mar 16 2011 7:30pm

I was referring to Jin XD
Omega Entity

*jiggle*
Shining Legend

Postby Kaihaku » Wed Mar 16 2011 7:31pm

I know. ;) That's some Japanese fanart I came across, Jin on a piece of toast.
Kaihaku

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Martin III » Thu Mar 17 2011 2:42am

Woah, that is some crazy fanart! :eyebrow: Always cool to see people doing something totally nuts for the fandom.

I agree with Omega; Jin does look a bit on the insane side. As noted above, I was hopeful that his appearance would grow on me, but I still have mixed feelings about him. Definitely my least favorite of the character designs. That said, I love all the others. :thumbsup: Bail really is the toughest-looking centaur in the series. Even what's-his-name from Shining Tears can't top him.
Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Shining Force Feather