Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force Feather
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Best new Shining game in a decade?

Discuss the latest SRPG in the Shining Series, available now for Nintendo DS!

Re: Best new Shining game in a decade?

Postby jj984jj » Fri Feb 27 2009 3:32am

Moogie @ Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:06 pm) wrote: Indeed, HQ is the only roaming I've found so far, but that's still more than in the Gaidens.

The quest list allows you to choose which stage to do next, to a degree. You can go back and redo battles, but story scenes can only be viewed once. I kinda tried in the wrong order before I lost my save and was wondering why it was so bloody difficult trying to beat a battle I'd found myself in! With hindsight I actually did pretty well at it considering how underlevelled my characters were.

I have to be honest and say that so far I am not finding it very challenging, but maybe I'm just too good ;) lol. Nah, I think it's a bit on the easy side but still very enjoyable and probably will get harder as I get further into the game. About 9 hours in now. I wonder if completing it will unlock a harder mode? That would be great.

Unfortunately this is the biggest complaint I've seen for the game so far, while the new combat system is fun the game goes from easy to very easy.
jj984jj

Postby Tarethen » Fri Feb 27 2009 4:56am

jj984jj @ Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:32 pm) wrote: Unfortunately this is the biggest complaint I've seen for the game so far, while the new combat system is fun the game goes from easy to very easy.

That's both good and bad. Seeing as how (whenever my copy arrives), I'll be playing it in a language I don't know very well and giving the fact that I lack an enormous amount of time, being easy isn't that big of an issue.

Also, first NeoGAF, then RPGFan. You're everywhere!
Tarethen

jRPG Newsman
Shining Legend

Postby Silverwolf X » Mon Mar 02 2009 6:30am

Haven't played much either for Feather, since I am still on a 3rd run for Star ocean but well, what little I've played I'll say this. I find Alfin addictive. LOL.

"Its your imagination."

Her most common line against Jin. LOL.
THE Import Freak is IN da House.
On Western game publishing policy:
WHAT THE F***!?
THE Import Freak is IN da House.
On Western game publishing policy:
WHAT THE F***!?
Silverwolf X

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Ashley » Mon Mar 02 2009 10:17pm

Ok, this seems to be the general thread for gameplay discussion, so I'll keep the following question here rather than starting a new topic. I'm not sure how much of this should be spoiler tagged, by the way, so if I've done anything wrong then please tell me and I'll correct it.

I've done a couple of battles so far but I'm still not sure about how the attacks work...

I get that you press the attack button when the meter is right in the middle but what I don't understand is the real-time element of the strikes. How far apart must I pace each one? And should I always be hitting the button that I initiated the attack with or can I combo different attacks together?

Also: Can you assign new weapons/attacks/magic to each of the four buttons or are they set for the whole game? If so, how do I change them?
Ashley

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby sulfuroxp » Mon Mar 02 2009 11:22pm

QUOTE (Ashley @ Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:17 pm) I've done a couple of battles so far but I'm still not sure about how the attacks work...

I get that you press the attack button when the meter is right in the middle but what I don't understand is the real-time element of the strikes. How far apart must I pace each one? And should I always be hitting the button that I initiated the attack with or can I combo different attacks together?

Also: Can you assign new weapons/attacks/magic to each of the four buttons or are they set for the whole game? If so, how do I change them?
each attack has a FC Cost (the no HP bar)
in the begining, you have only 4 attack display...

2 are Normal Type
2 are (depend on the chara) Element Type

one is more powerful than the other, but has more cost

Elements are Fire, Wind, Thunder, Water, Shine and Dark

WARNING: SPOILER!

the meter is for gets a extra, or an minus damage depend in where you stop

the idea is only use one of the 2 Type of attack, to gets (if you hit very times in one attack) a Burst

the Magic is an another option, the third... attack is the one
so magic cannot by asigned in buttons...

no weapons in this game

PD : Miryam Magic is a Heal Type Spell
sulfuroxp

Lost Shining Purple
Shining Legend

Postby Ashley » Tue Mar 03 2009 12:00am

Thanks for the help.

Just one more question. If I start and attack with A, would I then have to tap A,A,A, etc...

Or could I change EG: A, B, A, B etc...
Ashley

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby sulfuroxp » Tue Mar 03 2009 12:13am

learn this

1.- Use the 100 FC Points
2.- Use the same Type Attack...

you can use ABXY as you want, but the idea is use AB or XY depend on how much damage do you impact it...

you can see the damage before tour attack, when you select the monster

and if you have the 100 FC Points, you can attack 3 monsters in the same attack
sulfuroxp

Lost Shining Purple
Shining Legend

Postby Moogie » Tue Mar 03 2009 10:02am

Also at 100FC you can perform your Force Max skill (2nd menu option - 3rd option says Force Max) but only once per battle. I won't spoil it for you and tell you what each character has for their Force Max. Some are attacks and some are for your Force's benefit.

As sulfuroxp mentioned, at 100FC you can attack up to 3 monsters all at once (no extra FC cost), the first of whom will receive full damage, the 2nd 75% and the 3rd 50%. This is subject to change later in the game when you develop your characters weapon class.

On that 2nd menu the first option is Union and the second is Connect. A union attack allows you to attack with two characters at a time, combining their FC points and dividing them equally. Eg if you have two characters with 45FC they can union attack a monster together and have 90FC to use between them. The character whose turn it is attacks first and then whichever attack button you use for them is what's used automatically by the 2nd character in the union, then you choose the next attack for the first character, and the 2nd will follow suite... and so on until you're out of FC or stop attacking.

I haven't played much with Connect attacks as I've not wanted to make the game too easy on my first playthrough, but you can use a team of 5 characters (and their combined FC) to attack a single enemy. All characters in the Connect must follow one another in turn order, with no enemy attacks inbetween (turn order is the bar at the bottom of the top screen)... so if you see a bunch of characters whose turns are one after the other, if they are in range of each other they can connect to attack. With this you perform attacks with each character in turn, using R to 'tag-team' in the next character. In this way you can build up your Burst Attack level and cause more damage.

The ABXY buttons can be reassigned to different skills as you learn them, from the character status select screen the 2nd option down is to manage their skills.

Right, time for breakfast and then I need to finish off the final boss. I spent some time on it yesterday but had to stop to make dinner... I wonder how much longer it'll take?!
The SFC Forum RPG is now live! Enjoy :)
rpg.php
rpg.php
Moogie

Goddess of all things Shining
Administrator

Postby Ashley » Tue Mar 03 2009 11:46am

Thanks for the detailed info. Very helpful.

Another question: a new robot has appeared on the airship and he seems to offer the ability to upgrade the characters.

Am I right in thinking that, and is it basically the same way in which you could promote a character at Lvl10 in the old games?
Ashley

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Moogie » Tue Mar 03 2009 11:55am

Top right robot, yes?

That's the weapon/character rank robot. It's not quite like promoting... more like the weapon upgrades in Tears if you played that.

The options are A, B or C class (although I think for the first rank increase you only have one option - rank them up as soon as you can afford to, it has its benefits).

Information about the rank upgrades follows.
rpg.php
rpg.php
Moogie

Administrator

Postby sulfuroxp » Tue Mar 03 2009 5:12pm

in the Connect Attack

the six chara is random, ecept the last (i only see the first or the second to repeat)

all connect characters use his turn

the next chara (second - third - etc) use de A Button attack
i recommend change A attack with a Normal Type Level 3, you have 4 hits for each chara and make 1.25 burst for each chara

Burst Level 6 is the last

if you use Elemental Type and not Normal, you charge the last bar, its cause much more damage a an rapid makeit

EDIT = the sixth chara have 150 FC

http://forums.shiningforcecentral.com/i ... opic=13832
please post here, 4 of the 6 costume of Alfin :B
sulfuroxp

Lost Shining Purple
Shining Legend

Postby Thousand » Wed Mar 04 2009 2:58pm

got my copy as well and it really seems like a cool game, although I only have played the first 2 battles so far. Does anyone have a little guide to the menu and stuff? At the moment I don't have the time to read through the whole thread to check if this has been answered before, I'll do it, as soon as I've time for it :blush:

Another thing, is there any way to Egress like in the old SF games? I accidentally reset a fight once, but I don't think I got extra XP, so I guess it wasn't really like the old Egress :roll:
Thousand

Postby Kaihaku » Thu Mar 05 2009 4:19am

Thousand @ Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:58 pm) wrote: got my copy as well and it really seems like a cool game, although I only have played the first 2 battles so far. Does anyone have a little guide to the menu and stuff? At the moment I don't have the time to read through the whole thread to check if this has been answered before, I'll do it, as soon as I've time for it :blush:

Another thing, is there any way to Egress like in the old SF games? I accidentally reset a fight once, but I don't think I got extra XP, so I guess it wasn't really like the old Egress :roll:

Moogie has been posting bits of the menus here and there in this forum. With a bit of looking I'm sure you could put together most of it.

I don't think there is egress but apparently you can refight(?) old battles or at least take the battles out of order.
The Once and Future Kai
"The quick brown vox jumps ofer the lazy dog"
The Once and Future Kai
"The quick brown vox jumps ofer the lazy dog"
Kaihaku

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Moogie » Thu Mar 05 2009 9:36am

If I've got time today I'll try to put together some kind of play guide with what the menus do and the other info I've posted around in various topics :)
rpg.php
rpg.php
Moogie

Administrator

Postby Seijuro Hiko » Mon Mar 09 2009 4:26am

Yay!! I?ve got mine too, and so far, this is a great experience in terms of gameplay in my opinion. Even though I don?t understand anything the characters are saying, it seems it has alot of humor, alot of dialogue and many development going on there!

The level-up system is a nice touch too, not exactly what we always see on RPGs, so a good surprise on this aspect. Another great thing is the animation and sprites... somehow they looked crappier on the v?deos that have been showd :p

Anyway, some photos of the package (is it allowed to post them? if yes, just delete the post then)

When can we see some Feather avatars around here? (any chance to get some 100x100 to use on other forums?) :excited:
|Windows XP PRO | Club3d X800 Pro VIVO @ XT 520/560 |
|Athlon 64 3000+| 512 MB DDR Corsair PT |
|SoundBlaster 5.1 | 80GB Seagate IDE | 120GB Seagate 8MB IDE | 160GB Seagate 8MB SATA | 200GB Seagate 16MB SATA |
|Pioneer DVDR-108D 16x | Plextor 52x32x52 PREMIUM T3
|Windows XP PRO | Club3d X800 Pro VIVO @ XT 520/560 |
|Athlon 64 3000+| 512 MB DDR Corsair PT |
|SoundBlaster 5.1 | 80GB Seagate IDE | 120GB Seagate 8MB IDE | 160GB Seagate 8MB SATA | 200GB Seagate 16MB SATA |
|Pioneer DVDR-108D 16x | Plextor 52x32x52 PREMIUM T3
Seijuro Hiko

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby sulfuroxp » Mon Mar 09 2009 1:59pm

the ship is de Nazca Ship :confused:
sulfuroxp

Lost Shining Purple
Shining Legend

Postby Tarethen » Mon Mar 09 2009 11:48pm

sulfuroxp @ Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:59 am) wrote: ...

the ship is de Nazca Ship :confused:

I don't think so.
Tarethen

jRPG Newsman
Shining Legend

Postby Martin III » Wed Mar 11 2009 2:08am

My copy finally came in the mail yesterday - about time, Play Asia!

Looking quite excellent thus far. I'm enjoying the feel of the whole thing. While I haven't gotten into the gameplay deep enough to cast a rating, the basics at least are well-handled.

But really, this game needs an English language version. Sooooo much dialogue... Sooooo many menus... It's playable enough in Japanese, but I feel like I'm missing out on the full experience.

On a final note, the Feather is the coolest Shining Headquarters ever. Sure, the Caravan was more unique, but you couldn't see the inside of the thing. This baby is stylish and luxurious.
"Sir Reginald, Duke of Chutney! ...And don't stick your tongue out at me, kid." - Disney's Robin Hood

"Hey, where's my Holy Grail?!" - Shining Tears X Wind
"Sir Reginald, Duke of Chutney! ...And don't stick your tongue out at me, kid." - Disney's Robin Hood

"Hey, where's my Holy Grail?!" - Shining Tears X Wind
Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Tarethen » Wed Mar 11 2009 2:10am

I just got Rush... Doing a bit of leveling up now. So far, so good.
Tarethen

jRPG Newsman
Shining Legend

Postby Dr. Casey » Fri Mar 13 2009 4:53pm

Shining Force Feather looks like a nice game, but I don't know about that Jin. Is he as unpleasant in personality as he is in appearance? He looks like a total punk. Much love for Baile, though.
cullsoft wrote:Arful barfle gloop to you too.
cullsoft wrote:Arful barfle gloop to you too.
Dr. Casey

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Shining Force Feather