Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force Feather
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Best new Shining game in a decade?

Discuss the latest SRPG in the Shining Series, available now for Nintendo DS!

Re: Best new Shining game in a decade?

Postby Martin III » Wed Feb 25 2009 12:43am

Marky @ Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:37 pm) wrote: How would you compare with the other shining force games (SF1, 2, and III) in terms of gameplay.

Why would you compare it to the console games instead of the other portables?
"Sir Reginald, Duke of Chutney! ...And don't stick your tongue out at me, kid." - Disney's Robin Hood

"Hey, where's my Holy Grail?!" - Shining Tears X Wind
"Sir Reginald, Duke of Chutney! ...And don't stick your tongue out at me, kid." - Disney's Robin Hood

Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Ringo Le MANOSAUR » Wed Feb 25 2009 2:01am

Well, if Moogie likes it, that's good enough for me! Goodbye money, hello Shining Force Feather javascript:emoticon(':)')

All of a sudden I feel like eating rice.
For he brings rice, and we shall celebrate. :music:

Postby Kaihaku » Wed Feb 25 2009 2:31am

Martin III @ Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:43 am) wrote: Why would you compare it to the console games instead of the other portables?

Different generations. The Gamegear has some significant technical limitations, the DS might be limited compared to a Wii but it can easily manage anything a Genesis could. I'd say it's fair to compare Feather to any of the old Shining Force titles, not just the old portable games.
The Once and Future Kai
"The quick brown vox jumps ofer the lazy dog"
The Once and Future Kai
Kaihaku

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Martin III » Wed Feb 25 2009 3:29am

It seems to me that the different natures of portable and console transcend any differences in technical abilities. Technical abilities don't do much to determine gameplay.

Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Marky » Wed Feb 25 2009 5:52am

Martin III @ Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:43 am) wrote: Why would you compare it to the console games instead of the other portables?

I just wanted to know how similar or different or innovative the game play is from the last strategy shining games.
Marky

Attending Physician
Shining Legend

Postby Shining Wolf » Wed Feb 25 2009 6:37am

Well hopefully since they have these latest Shining games here in America they will bring it over, but i wouldn't put too much faith in it after that whole SF3 thing...but either way i'll have to wait on a US release since I cannot read japanese and any translation project would take forever

Is the SF3 translations even done yet?
"My blade is like the fangs of a ravenous wolf." Eric 2003 :snarl:
"My claws glimer with the light of the full moon." Eric 2004 :snarl:
"You'll fall two ways, by my sword or by my claws!" Eric 2005 :snarl:
"Who do you think your dealing with!" Eric 2006 :snarl:
"The end of this story is only the beginning of a new one." Eric 2007 :snarl:
"We teeter on the edge of light and dark constantly which will you choose" Eric 2008 :snarl:
"We teeter on the edge of light and dark constantly which will you choose" Eric 2008 :snarl:
Shining Wolf

Postby Kaihaku » Wed Feb 25 2009 10:11am

Martin III @ Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:29 am) wrote: It seems to me that the different natures of portable and console transcend any differences in technical abilities. Technical abilities don't do much to determine gameplay.

I'm fairly certain, though not absolutely positive, that limited memory and graphical capabilities affected much of early portable design choices. So, I don't quite understand what you mean by the different nature of console vs. portable. At least, not for SRPGs, or RPGs in general, though they have also managed a fun multiplayer portable Mario Kart. There have been a wealth of SNES/Genesis era portable RPG remakes and I'm having trouble thinking of one that didn't work just as well portable as on a console. But maybe I'm missing something?
The Once and Future Kai
The Once and Future Kai
Kaihaku

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Moogie » Wed Feb 25 2009 10:25am

QUOTE (Marky @ Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:37 pm) How would you compare with the other shining force games (SF1, 2, and III) in terms of gameplay.? I would ask about story and character development, but so far it is in Japanese and not many folks want to talk about it or will have a difficult time translating it.
Since I can't read much at all of the Japanese, all I can say is that with fewer characters than in the old Forces, and with so many story scenes it would seem the character development is great. There's a bit of humour in the game from what little I can understand, which works nicely. I don't know how typically 'Shiny' the story is, but we have to accept that the old storyline was Camelot's and shouldn't be tampered with anymore than Sega already have (but shouldn't have). Best that the past is in the past now.

I would actually say I'm enjoying the gameplay more than any of the other Shining Forces now I've gotten used to the huge stats. I always liked the relatively low stats in the old games compared with other RPGs but I feel the high stats are very much a necessity in this game to justify the awesome attacks.

At first I thought some of the attacks were a bit over the top, but thinking back to spells and attacks in SFIII, it's not really any different. Some beautiful anime sequences in the attacks and the graphics in general are really lovely. The battles do look Shiny, I love the little sprites and I think the zoom feature on the battle map is really handy.

During the attack scenes (scene's not really the word though as it's interactive unlike the old games) I thought the sprites were a bit on the small side and that it could do with having the old black cinematic borders, but having encountered some bigger enemies now I see the scale is quite fitting.

It's maybe not as epic as SFIII and yes it would be nice to have town roaming but we're used to not having that on portable games. It's already a 130MB game so pretty large for a DS and I do enjoy having the cutscenes with voiceovers etc. I'm finding it fairly easy at the moment but I'm still only a few hours in. Nonetheless I am absolutely loving it and I can't wait to get my DS out in a moment and crack on ;)

I love the variety of attacks available and the amount of control over them - and all the planning involved, figuring out which combination of attacks will do the most damage etc. Individual character turns are more involved and offer more options overall.

I'll put the bits of gameplay info in a spoiler box because some people might want to enjoy the surprise of how it works, I know I did :)

GAMEPLAY SPOILERS FOLLOW!

WARNING: SPOILER!
The SFC Forum RPG is now live! Enjoy :)
rpg.php
rpg.php
Moogie

Goddess of all things Shining
Administrator

Postby Shining Wolf » Wed Feb 25 2009 12:20pm

Holy moly Moog thats a mouthful lol
Shining Wolf

Postby Kaerou » Wed Feb 25 2009 1:05pm

Heh, its actually pretty nice to see Moogie passionate about it again!
-ELDAR APPRECIATION SOCIETY-
-ELDAR APPRECIATION SOCIETY-
Kaerou

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby sulfuroxp » Wed Feb 25 2009 1:05pm

sulfuroxp

Lost Shining Purple
Shining Legend

Postby Moogie » Wed Feb 25 2009 1:11pm

Please if you are going to quote spoilers, put them inside a spoiler tag!

Apologies for misdescribing an element (although personally I consider them the same, and am used to them being ice from other Shining games).

I guess I'm not far enough into the game/high enough level yet to know about some of the values and had no intention of misleading. Would have been nice if you'd spoilered your post properly as it would have been a pleasant surprise to find out for myself that the limits were not as I had thought.

....and yes. I'm already very passionate about this game and quite surprised to be so :D
rpg.php
rpg.php
Moogie

Administrator

Postby sulfuroxp » Wed Feb 25 2009 1:20pm

sorry, am new using spoilers XP

mmm... true???
sulfuroxp

Lost Shining Purple
Shining Legend

Postby Moogie » Wed Feb 25 2009 1:31pm

I had wondered if they had worked anything like that into the game but hadn't tested the idea out yet - if it's true then that's another great tactical element! :D
rpg.php
rpg.php
Moogie

Administrator

Postby Nemezy » Thu Feb 26 2009 2:54am

I know it was said that there is no town roaming, so is there any roaming at all? (world map, etc.) Are you able to backtrack any, as in not being limited to how slow/fast you wish/want to progress? I just dislike games that try to set the pace for you.

How do the battles feel? Easy, Hard, just right? Does there seem to be a decent balance to the game? (balance seems to be a word sega doesn't understand in most games) Hopefully no game breaking powerhouses or a character that's not worth the effort...

Sorry if that's alot to answer. I'm just kinda excited but not really enthusiastic at the same time. I do hope for an english version. Everything sounds pretty good so far.
~Truely, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind.~
-Edward D. Morrison
-Edward D. Morrison
Nemezy

Whacked with the Banstick

Postby Ringo Le MANOSAUR » Thu Feb 26 2009 3:42am

You get to roam around your HQ. It's not much, but it's a good break to going through menus.

As for pace.. I've only cleared one quest so far, so I'm not sure, but there seems to be a 'quest list', so perhaps you can choose the order you do them in, or redo previous ones.. pure speculation at this point (must resist playing at work.. wait until trip home >.<)

Postby Tarethen » Thu Feb 26 2009 5:14am

It sold 30K copies this week. Not bad, I guess, seeing as how it was up against Star Ocean 4 and Idolmaster...
Tarethen

jRPG Newsman
Shining Legend

Postby Moogie » Thu Feb 26 2009 12:06pm

Indeed, HQ is the only roaming I've found so far, but that's still more than in the Gaidens.

The quest list allows you to choose which stage to do next, to a degree. You can go back and redo battles, but story scenes can only be viewed once. I kinda tried in the wrong order before I lost my save and was wondering why it was so bloody difficult trying to beat a battle I'd found myself in! With hindsight I actually did pretty well at it considering how underlevelled my characters were.

I have to be honest and say that so far I am not finding it very challenging, but maybe I'm just too good ;) lol. Nah, I think it's a bit on the easy side but still very enjoyable and probably will get harder as I get further into the game. About 9 hours in now. I wonder if completing it will unlock a harder mode? That would be great.
rpg.php
rpg.php
Moogie

Administrator

Postby Nemezy » Thu Feb 26 2009 12:57pm

Thanks for the insight guys. I guess my only other question will be is how long is the game, but I'm gonna have to wait for an answer on that one. :shifty:

Again hopefully they will release it state side and euro. They definatly should have the incentive seeing how well FFTactics, Disgaea, and Fire Emblem has been doing on the current portable gaming consoles............................................................................................................................................
..........................................(yes these dots are for you sega)....( :damnit: ).........................
-Edward D. Morrison
-Edward D. Morrison
Nemezy

Postby TyrantRevolver » Thu Feb 26 2009 4:36pm

Star Ocean 4 has definitely been getting in the way a bit (amazing game) but I am very pleased with SF Feather thus far.... It's really above and beyond my expectations.

Hopefully Sega wakes up and smells the coffee, or we'll have to run to their HQ and beat them with used copies of Neo and Exa!

(Sorry to anyone who loves those games, their good in their own right....just not Shining Force to me though.)

*EDIT* By the way, Bail is the most awesome looking Centaur I have ever seen! He's so fricken cool and I looooooove his weapon. Even my wife was impressed with how well animated his sprite is and she fell in love with his design as well.

God I hope they make a fig for him someday.

PreviousNext

Return to Shining Force Feather