Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force III SFIII Translation Project
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Weapon Names

A place for those working on the Shining Force III Translation Patch.

Re: Weapon Names

Postby ShiningLover » Thu Mar 29 2007 2:39pm

Alpha @ Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:25 pm) wrote: You fail I'm afriad.

I failed?? In what? Lol. :excited:

:topicsucks:
ShiningLover

Postby Lord Oddeye sama » Thu Mar 29 2007 2:39pm

Well, it has a special, 2 MP regen a round just like the Eternal Wand and it also has Spark 3 max. (not 4, change the description.) +4 to agility.

But think about it, you can have this weapon in Scenario 1 and 2 as well! That'd make it a powerful weapon there compared to the mithril ones.
I despise berzerk attitude.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Secretary of Odds and Ends, Rainblood Secessionists
Jinx unto ye!

Wargasm @ Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:26 am wrote:Vous êtes tous douches. J'aime le monde des poissons bleus.

Do you like Shining Force 1? Do you like orchestral remixes? Then this is for you: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24551#p668069
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

Wargasm @ Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:26 am wrote:Vous êtes tous douches. J'aime le monde des poissons bleus.

Do you like Shining Force 1? Do you like orchestral remixes? Then this is for you: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24551#p668069
Lord Oddeye sama

Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Postby Rick » Thu Mar 29 2007 2:47pm

The eternal wand can get up to spark 4

what are the atack attribute on it like?

cause, to be honest, if this wand existed in the game as either a mithril or a find, it would hae negated the use of the Orifalcon Eternal Wand, as its just as good
Rick's 10K Run Blog

SF Community Project. Come have a looksie

Chaos Wizard wrote:I prefer beauty more then Virginal. But no skanks. :angry:

masquirinsears wrote:wow that rick, he's so hot right now, rick...

-----
Shining Force: Ancient Pathways RPG
Cole - Lv. 11 WARR
HP: 21/21 |||||||||||||||||||||
-----
Rick's 10K Run Blog

-----
Cole - Lv. 11 WARR
-----
Rick

Lionheart
Shining Legend

Postby Lord Oddeye sama » Thu Mar 29 2007 3:16pm

Ok let's compare both for a level 3 weapon mastery.

Merlin's Wand : +34 attack, +4 agility, has a special (Stone Circle), Spark 3 when equipped, 2 MP regen a round.

Eternal Wand : +45 attack, +4 defense, has a special (Tachyon Shot), Spark 4 when equipped, 2 MP regen a round.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

Lord Oddeye sama

Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Postby Rick » Thu Mar 29 2007 3:55pm

Hmm... would put it on a par with the Witch and Volcanon wands in terms of Attack... the AGL boost is pretty insignificant, I dont think the mages are slow anyways

But I think I would still go for the Witch Wand anyways. I mean Masqurin, Noon, Syntesis and Brigit all know Spark, so would only really benefit Grace, Uryudo, Isabella, Marki and Hedoba anyways. But seeing as Marki and Hedoba Have freeze, Spark wouldn't bother me.

plus Attack LV2 and +2 Luck would appeal to me more...

*edit*

Anyone think that the Earth wand looks like it would have been more of an appropriate icon for the item?
Rick's 10K Run Blog

-----
Cole - Lv. 11 WARR
-----
Rick's 10K Run Blog

-----
Cole - Lv. 11 WARR
-----
Rick

Lionheart
Shining Legend

Postby frynmeli » Fri Mar 30 2007 2:02am

I'm for Merlin's Wand and Ankh of Mitra (アンクオブミトラ) / Mitra Ankh. Mitula (ミトゥラ) is spelt differently, so I don't think the weapon bears any relation to her even though the Volcanon Wand suggests otherwise. There seems to be more than one spelling variation, but I'll go with Mitra because it looks like the original form.
Don't drink. Just Disdrive.
frynmeli

Postby legalize freedom » Fri Mar 30 2007 2:46am

While I'm not thrilled with Merlin's Wand... (I don't think he has any connection with the Shining world except the developers name), It is the popular choice and after all, it is a secret weapon. It can be out there a bit, so I'm going with that.

It may not be the most popular opinion, but I agree with frynmeli on Mitra Ankh. Of course I had no idea about the spelling or translation, but I see no connection to the Mitula from SF2. It is a stretch at best. Volcanon is hands down, absolutely what that wand should be, but I don't see it for this one. I also don't think they need to be a set pair. Why would they... just because they are both from SF2?

The one issue remaining is that the Pulsar Shot is not a weapon in Sc2. It is an accessory...apparently with no stat gain. I would suggest naming it something like the Pulsar Necklace (or maybe Pulsar Phallus) and give it a quirky description. If not it will just seem weird... but maybe people like weird. Opinions on this please.

So here is the updated and almost final list

Sc.2 Weapon List
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Lord Oddeye sama » Fri Mar 30 2007 8:36am

Wasn't "Cold Blood" an accurate translation for this Pulsar Shot accessory that's in Scn2 and 3? Also, the Pulsar Shot special may still be in the code of Scn2 and 3. What if you can access it by editing a save? (because I can do that too)
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

Lord Oddeye sama

Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Postby Alpha » Fri Mar 30 2007 8:59am

I find it amusing that you're considering changing only one weapon name to that of a SF2 deity, but not the other that has similarities, especially after what I pointed out about Thanatos. I say either change both or neither. Not one.

Also.

Do NOT call it the Pulsar Phallus. Please. Don't. Think about what a phallus is before you do that.

I still think Merlin's Wand is a better name.
The WoopBlood
Because wooping makes us smile

Laeralas
26/53HP, 22AC, 17AC flat footed, 18AC touch, Fort+10, Reflex+11, Will+7
0) Light, Light, Detect Magic, Disrupt Undead
1) Blades of Fire, Critical Strike, Shield, Magic Missile
2) Invisibility, Wraithstrike, Wraithstrike, Mirror Image

Chaos Wars Aftermath loot spreadsheet
The WoopBlood

Laeralas

Alpha

Echo Park
Shining Legend

Postby Orange Gort » Fri Mar 30 2007 9:16am

legalize freedom) wrote:A couple of weapons to decide. We are currently incorporating the secret weapons and specials and all are clear except for...

Merlin's Wand vs. Spark Wand

This secret weapon gives Spark L3

Also I would like some feedback on

Mitra Ankh vs. Mitula Ankh

I want to voice a very loud and obnoxious NO for the Merlin's Wand. I agree with legalize freedom here. He doesn't belong in the shining world, and I don't think we should incorporate it into the shining world because Merlin was cool. If the wand turned people into squirrels and fish then I might agree. I just don't think it is appropriate, and I don't think it fits. I like Spark Wand, and frankly to me it makes sense, as it allows you to use the spark spell.

As for the Mitra/Mitula Ankh, I really don't have an opinion. I will concur with the masses.

But please, please if you have a soul don't change it to the Merlin's Wand.
What's up hen?
What's up hen?
Orange Gort

The Creator
Shining Hero

Postby frynmeli » Fri Mar 30 2007 9:35am

Thanks for another update, legalize freedom. Great to see the list growing and improving. I personally feel Horn and Talon are similar in that they both have special attacks after their wielders are promoted, so for consistency may I suggest they have the same description?

Fergybug says the accessory is called the Cool Braid, which I feel is likelier than Cold Blood is but still strange. If it's not too much trouble, could I take a look at its name in katakana before I decide? I'm also keen on the translating team's opinion on the issue, if any.

As for its description, I think something simple like 'Accessory—Coolness +10' will suffice if it really has no use, but I'm hoping it can be examined in greater detail so we know for sure. I'm not so great with codes, though, so I don't know if it can be or has already been done.
frynmeli

Postby Alpha » Fri Mar 30 2007 10:03am

Orange Gort @ Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:16 am) wrote: As for the Mitra/Mitula Ankh, I really don't have an opinion. I will concur with the masses.

That isn't actually very helpful, as people are currently divided on the matter :p

As for the issue for Merlin Wand/Spark Wand. I don't mind Merlin being dropped, if people really don't like it. I just liked the idea of it :)
The WoopBlood

Laeralas

The WoopBlood

Laeralas

Alpha

Echo Park
Shining Legend

Postby Lord Oddeye sama » Fri Mar 30 2007 10:07am

Isn't Merlin the old man in the loading screen from Shining in the Darkness?

:jk:

Both Rick and Orange Gort still have a good point though. Spark Wand would make more sense... It is powerful, yet it is not so powerful that it has to be called after Merlin.

EDIT : the Cool Braid in japanese with its small description.

¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

Lord Oddeye sama

Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Postby legalize freedom » Fri Mar 30 2007 12:50pm

It was translated by Atolm to be "Cold Blood" and that sounds good to me, I will check to see if he has looked at the description, if not, I'll ask about it, unless frynmeli can translate from the screen. I believe most/all of us believed it to be a weapon when we voted Pulsar Shot. I will leave the special attack in there in case anyone can rom hack that well.

I certainly wouldn't mind calling it Spark Wand... if those who voted for Merlin aren't that attached to that name.

I would really like for the thing to be Mitula Wand... I just don't think Thanatos ties in with a fairy goddess (or whatever she was). Judging from her very "lightness", I doubt she would appreciate a weapon named after her. The Volcanon Wand was very obvious and I would like any changes to the Sc.1 names to be for obvious reasons... If there is any reaching at all, I would prefer to leave it.

Again, no matter what ends up on these lists, not everyone will be happy. I'm trying to use reason with a side of SFC opinion. Some of these aren't easy decisions to make.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby frynmeli » Fri Mar 30 2007 1:51pm

Thanks for the screen, Lord Oddeye; that was above Elbesem's speed. The accessory's name is literally Cool Blood, and its description can mean cool blood, cold blood or cold-blooded. I suppose Cold Blood is more commonly encountered in English speech, though.

Since it has such a short description, I'm quite convinced it has no effect. However, Fergybug says the Pulsar Bow and Cool Blood are unrelated items who share the same image and code but appear in different scenarios, so I suppose Pulsar Bow and Schwarzchild do exist, albeit only in Scenario 1.

Like Alpha and legalize freedom, I'm easy about the choice between Merlin's and Spark—I'm pro-Japanese original is all. Spark Wand makes sense, too, so if it appeases everybody, let's use it. However, again like legalize freedom, I'm not equally comfortable with Mitula Ankh.

Apart from the difference in spelling, Mitula herself is more of a protective figure than a destructive one. Further, this weapon doesn't appear to have the holy property like other ankhs, because the Masked Monks I battled weren't afraid of it. In contrast, Mitra includes among its multiple representations an entity of light and a punisher of evil, which would explain the summon spell Thanatos.
frynmeli

Postby Orange Gort » Fri Mar 30 2007 4:43pm

Alpha @ Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:03 am) wrote:
Orange Gort) wrote:As for the Mitra/Mitula Ankh, I really don't have an opinion. I will concur with the masses.
That isn't actually very helpful, as people are currently divided on the matter :p

OK I have taken into consideration the arguments for and against. Mitula is a protector of the earth whereas Thanatos, as has been mentioned, was a bringer of death. Now the spell Thanatos does provide protection Dark resist +10% and Light resist +20%. Also Mithra was an Indo-Iranian got of light. But the idea of the Mitra ankh seems to be a contradiction any way you look at it. It's origins from the Indo-Iranian language it means: either "covenant, contract, oath, or treaty, friend, or alliance." So whether it be death or life, light or dark it seems to cover just about everything. But I just don't see enough of a connection to think that it should be Mitula. I agree with Volcanon Wand, but I think we should leave it the Mitra Ankh.

Happy :p
What's up hen?
What's up hen?
Orange Gort

The Creator
Shining Hero

Postby Rick » Fri Mar 30 2007 4:52pm

frynmeli @ Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:51 pm) wrote: Mitra includes among its multiple representations an entity of light and a punisher of evil, which would explain the summon spell Thanatos.

Thanatos is related to death, rather than a punisher of evil. actually, I think it is another name for death in fact..

reading this though, Mitra doesn't sound so bad a name...

i'm used to Mitra really, so it wouldn't be so bad to see. Mitula just threw up a few ideas that would have been cool too...

so what is the deal with the cool braid/pulsar shot?its a weapon with a special in scen 1 but an accessory in the others?
Rick's 10K Run Blog

-----
Cole - Lv. 11 WARR
-----
Rick's 10K Run Blog

-----
Cole - Lv. 11 WARR
-----
Rick

Lionheart
Shining Legend

Postby Lord Oddeye sama » Fri Mar 30 2007 5:42pm

Rick @ Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:52 pm) wrote: so what is the deal with the cool braid/pulsar shot?its a weapon with a special in scen 1 but an accessory in the others?

Yes. But its special is in all 3 scenarios.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

Lord Oddeye sama

Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Postby legalize freedom » Sat Mar 31 2007 6:20pm

Would anyone object to changing the Maul to Battle Mace?

A maul is clearly a hammer, but the icon is clearly not a hammer.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Lord Oddeye sama » Sat Mar 31 2007 6:29pm

Hmm... Isn't it already called Battle Mace in Scn1? In any case, I agree to call it that.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

Lord Oddeye sama

Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

PreviousNext

Return to SFIII Translation Project