Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force III SFIII Translation Project
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Opinions

A place for those working on the Shining Force III Translation Patch.

Re: Opinions

Postby Swalchy » Fri Sep 29 2006 9:50am

I'd rather the descriptions just stay the same, but Name changes to the weapons are fine if it's more close to the original.
The Way To Yahuweh
Dead Sea Scroll Images
Latest Update Post

Salibu: 20/08/10 wrote:You have all been Swalched.

Damn I've been here a long f*cking time...
The Way To Yahuweh
Dead Sea Scroll Images
Latest Update Post

Swalchy

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Lord Oddeye sama » Fri Sep 29 2006 7:49pm

I have seen your post actually but I still need to take a serious decision about each of your suggestions.
I despise berzerk attitude.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Secretary of Odds and Ends, Rainblood Secessionists
Jinx unto ye!

Wargasm @ Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:26 am wrote:Vous êtes tous douches. J'aime le monde des poissons bleus.

Do you like Shining Force 1? Do you like orchestral remixes? Then this is for you: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24551#p668069
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

Wargasm @ Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:26 am wrote:Vous êtes tous douches. J'aime le monde des poissons bleus.

Do you like Shining Force 1? Do you like orchestral remixes? Then this is for you: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24551#p668069
Lord Oddeye sama

Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Postby legalize freedom » Sat Sep 30 2006 6:16pm

There is a whip with a Balloon Bomb Special... What is it's name?

Jumesyn has Double-Headed Whip, the other site has Ignorant Whip and the Sc. 1 files have one called Muchi Whip (don't know if it is the same one)

Similiar to the Shell vs. Longbow issue. 3 of the higher end hand axes are referred to as Axe. I propose to slip Hand in the name to clarify the weapon type. Another option would be to go to the japanese name of Tomahawk, but I think this way will do fine.

Accurate Axe = Accurate Hand Axe
Super Axe = Super Hand Axe
Arrow Axe = Arrow Hand Axe

I will post some of the actual descriptions I'm proposing when I get that far to help with the decision. I have to verify what all needs to be included. I don't think the stat gains you see when equipping (att, def, agi, speed, etc.) need to be shown since they are right there, agreed? Only the hidden stats like critical and counter...

I'm finishing up gathering the info on all the weapons. I suppose I will do the same for the acc. I'm trusting the info on Jumesyn... If anyone knows about any errors on that site, please let me know.

I have also experimented a bit with the magic resistence labels on the status screen. Here's what will fit, and the color I thought made sense. Suggest different abbreviations (with the same number of characters) and colors if you think one will work better. (grey, green, blue, yellow, brown, purple, red available)

Fire (red)
Ice (blue)
Stm (grey) - abbr. for Storm (could also go with Spk for Spark)
Wnd (green) - abbr. for Wind
Lght (white) - abbr. for Light
Drk (purple) - abbr. for Dark

I'll post a screen in a bit. How do you post an image that will show in the post without downloading?

Edit:
Well, I don't have any place to upload to, so I'll do it the download way. Shown here with Spk

Edit2:
That new version is nice. Image (and emulator) replaced.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby knight0fdragon » Sat Sep 30 2006 6:25pm

upload to a website, then use the img button
-- ANTI ELDAR APPRECIATION SOCIETY --

SF3 Tran. Project:
People helping:
Aho,Belegdol,???,Aspartate,Ark666,Dr.Doom,CyberWarriorX,StoneTheRock,an.donor,legalize freedom

Myspace page for DS work
Knight0fDragonDS

SF3 Tran. Project:
People helping:
Aho,Belegdol,???,Aspartate,Ark666,Dr.Doom,CyberWarriorX,StoneTheRock,an.donor,legalize freedom

Myspace page for DS work
Knight0fDragonDS
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Swalchy » Sun Oct 01 2006 10:00am

legalize freedom @ Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:16 pm) wrote: I have also experimented a bit with the magic resistence labels on the status screen. Here's what will fit, and the color I thought made sense. Suggest different abbreviations (with the same number of characters) and colors if you think one will work better. (grey, green, blue, yellow, brown, purple, red available)

Fire (red)
Ice (blue)

I'll post a screen in a bit. How do you post an image that will show in the post without downloading?

Edit:
Well, I don't have any place to upload to, so I'll do it the download way. Shown here with Spk

Looking better than the not so good text we're used to :)

Although I would suggest getting the new SSF, Leag. No more white things on the letters :)
The Way To Yahuweh
Dead Sea Scroll Images
Latest Update Post

The Way To Yahuweh
Dead Sea Scroll Images
Latest Update Post

Swalchy

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Cullsoft » Sun Oct 01 2006 1:57pm

legalize freedom @ Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:16 pm) wrote: Stm (grey) - abbr. for Storm (could also go with Spk for Spark)

Go with Spk (or Sprk if it fits) - "Storm" just sounds too obscure, and could also be conused with "Wind".

Though the thought's in mind... can you replace the text with icons (a la Sc1)? I'd rather have those than the text, if possible.
----- Culley's Shop RPG Trading Post & Figurine Emporium -----
- Warrior Pride, Dynamite & other items for sale
- Various figures for trading
- Seeking Grace, Alef and May figurines, also Power Waters, Lucky Cookies and rare goods
Click here for trading rates & more information
----- Culley's Shop RPG Trading Post & Figurine Emporium -----
- Warrior Pride, Dynamite & other items for sale
- Various figures for trading
- Seeking Grace, Alef and May figurines, also Power Waters, Lucky Cookies and rare goods
Click here for trading rates & more information
Cullsoft

Shining Furce
Shining Legend

Postby legalize freedom » Sun Oct 01 2006 3:14pm

That would be sweet... If it is possible, I don't know how. Maybe K0D could figure it out, but I bet it would require diving into the program code... same for the locations of the text on the status type screens.

I think it will be ok without them... but if possible, they would be great.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Lord Oddeye sama » Mon Oct 02 2006 7:14pm

legalize freedom) wrote:Adds to stats ? +Critical and Counter , +Critical, Counter and Luck

If I replace the ?raises? with ?+?,will it save space and allow to spell out the stats. I could also use ?raises? where it would fit and use the ?+? where space was an issue, but I would prefer to stay consistant

Sounds ok with "+" in every cases.

legalize freedom) wrote:Special Attack ? Special Attack

Basically just removing the ?has?. Some very crowded descriptions may need to abbreviate this. Special Att or Spec Att, but this only happens on a couple.

I'm fine with it but I'd like to suggest "has a special" instead.

legalize freedom) wrote:Acquire magic ? Sleep L1

Simply list the spell and include the level.

Magic spell if used ? Sleep L1 if used

List the spell and add ?if used?

Sounds good and less confusing too.

legalize freedom) wrote:Regen HP or MP ? Regen HP

Thought about ?recovers? but ?regen? is more descriptive and shorter.

Go for "regen".

legalize freedom) wrote:I would like to add to the possibilities. I can also put spell names in certain colors so they stand out in the description. Spells that are aquired could be one color, spells if used another... or they could be the same.

Let me know what you think of the idea and what color(s) would look good. Yellow is an obvious choice since many of the stats use that for emphasis.

I could also make the HP red and the MP blue for those descriptions with regen.

I'm all for it but I'll need screenshots to see how it looks like.

legalize freedom) wrote:And while I'm getting opinions, Is everyone comfortable with the fact that Bows are referred to as Bows and Shells are also referred to as Bows... The first 2 are referred to as Long Bow, but the rest are just Bow. Would it be out of line to suggest we use the Japanese names for shells?

Long Bow = Assault Shell
Heavy Long Bow = Great Shell
Elven Bow = Buster Shot
Magnum Bow = Magnum Shell
Storm Bow = Storm Shot
Meteor Bow = Meteor Shot
Hotrod Bow = Hotrod Shell

Similiar to the Shell vs. Longbow issue. 3 of the higher end hand axes are referred to as Axe. I propose to slip Hand in the name to clarify the weapon type. Another option would be to go to the japanese name of Tomahawk, but I think this way will do fine.

Accurate Axe = Accurate Hand Axe
Super Axe = Super Hand Axe
Arrow Axe = Arrow Hand Axe

And how about using the original japanese names for every weapons in the game?

legalize freedom) wrote:I have also experimented a bit with the magic resistence labels on the status screen. Here's what will fit, and the color I thought made sense. Suggest different abbreviations (with the same number of characters) and colors if you think one will work better. (grey, green, blue, yellow, brown, purple, red available)

Fire (red)
Ice (blue)

I'm like Cull, I'd really prefer to see icons rather than text here.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

Lord Oddeye sama

Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Postby knight0fdragon » Mon Oct 02 2006 11:27pm

we can always provide 1 colored icons, as for inserting the ones from scen 1, I have no idea on how they do that, I can't seem to find that anywhere

SF3 Tran. Project:
People helping:

Myspace page for DS work
Knight0fDragonDS

SF3 Tran. Project:
People helping:

Myspace page for DS work
Knight0fDragonDS
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby legalize freedom » Thu Oct 05 2006 6:58pm

That's as close to a ringing endorsement as I'm going to get Oddeye...

I think the big thing is to agree that it is ok to change, then we can discuss...

After gathering the info, I believe I will be able to include the numbers as well.

When you consider that you can take out the " and " it isn't that much more space.
But the info is much better!

+Critical and Counter, regen HP
+5 Critital, +4 Counter, regen 2 HP

Edit:

I would like some opinions about the descriptions of districts in Saraband and Storich. Saraband has 3 and Storich has 2 districts.

Should these be called Eastern District, Western District, Central District... or Business District, Government District, etc.

Please also give opinions of what each of the 5 districts should be called.

Thank you
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Lord Oddeye sama » Tue Nov 21 2006 1:51pm

For Saraband : East district, West district and Central district. East and West sound better to me.

As for Storich, I'd say Republican District and... something else. I have "Saraband District" in mind right now but that's just not it.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

Lord Oddeye sama

Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Postby Special T » Tue Nov 21 2006 2:14pm

For Saraband : East district, West district and Central district. East and West sound better to me.

I'm with Lord Oddeye on the issue above.
Special T

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby legalize freedom » Mon Nov 27 2006 1:47pm

I was thinking along those lines as well, but as I thought about it further...

Business, Government district, etc. is mentioned many times in the dialog.

And if you think about the player, east, west ,centeral tells them nothing, where as the other names will help a novice player to remember where things are in these larger cities.

Comments?
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Special T » Mon Nov 27 2006 2:37pm

To be honest they both sound good to me, I just think that the east, west, & central sound a little bit better. But either is fine.
Special T

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Lord Oddeye sama » Mon Nov 27 2006 3:12pm

Well, that's true.

But though I had difficulties to locate each place in Saraband when I started the game, it became sort of obvious after I looked around town and spoke with different NPCs. And after the first battle, I could tell where was each district, both by their location (east, west or center) and their name (republican, emperial, business and government).

However, I've just changed my mind because I thought about the mobile aspect of Saraband. I mean, it's a floating town. It wouldn't be logical to refer to one of the districts by using east or west when the town itself is never in the same position! Though I think they managed to do that in the game. If I remember correct it's always facing north. But still, that wouldn't make sense IMO.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

Lord Oddeye sama

Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Postby legalize freedom » Mon Nov 27 2006 7:24pm

I never even thought of the mobile city aspect... that does swing the logic away from east, west, etc.

Can you (or anyone else) give a brief description of each location (in both cities) and what it should be called. I don't want to trust my knowledge. As far as I know, in Saraband they are Government, Business, and Imperial...

I could also get the original area names and run them by Aspartate for input.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby frynmeli » Fri Dec 01 2006 10:45am

First post, so heya and I'm happy to be here. Thumbs up to the project and hard work. I can't help with the translations, so I'd like to share my two (hundred) cents.

Guardian Pillar is both descriptive and, as Swalchy mentioned, helpfully linked to the Guardian Statue. I agree Tower sounds imposing, but it sounds like it can be lived in. Marky's suggestion of Skyway through the Sea of Trees is great. Corridor and Passageway sound too plain for something so grand.

Positive and Negative Energies has a better ring to it, but when I consider what my parents told me about 陰陽 (yin and yang), I think Forces is more appropriate. I'm going with the majority on the Stump issue, even though the trees are anything but short. I can only guess what relation Stamp has to the village.

I'm fine with B's and V's, but I prefer Elbesem and Hedova. V in a woman's name sounds graceful. Elvesem reminds me of elves, no thanks to the spelling and my short-circuited brain. I think Inferior Innovator and Vandal has an overly strong connotation, so may I recommend Lesser?

As for the weapon descriptions, I'm fine with everything legalize freedom has suggested, except I agree with Lord Oddeye on cutting Has Special Attack to just Has a Special or even Has Special to save space. I'm all for having the Japanese names because they make more sense than the English translations do.

Colouring the text for each element is useful, but Ice and Drk are difficult to read against the default colour and transparency of the status windows. I also think Spk and yellow are more relevant to lightning's properties. I would much prefer icons, like some others, but it seems they are difficult to acquire and insert.

Naming the districts according to function and affiliation is more useful than just directions, even if my geography did not suck. I didn't notice the Japanese names when I was at either city, but it would be good to have them translated if Aspartate isn't too busy.

Since this thread is about suggested translations, may I add that Ryanan Shii from the Charm Wand most probably stands for Leanan S?dhe? It means fairy lover, so the charm effect makes sense. I learnt about it when I did some research on Ireland way back, plus Shannon Sea makes my stomach hurt.
Don't drink. Just Disdrive.
Don't drink. Just Disdrive.
frynmeli

Postby legalize freedom » Sun Jan 21 2007 9:02pm

Thank you for the comments frynmeli, they are much appreciated. I wanted to reply when you posted them, but I wanted to save my post until I had more info (lest I get caught as the last post when needing to share info again).

From what I can tell about the Saraband districts...

The western district contains the Imperial base, Imperial barracks, the priest building and houses, so it should probably be called the Imperial District.

The central district contains all the shops, tavern, church, etc. so it should probably be called the Business District or kept as Central District.

The eastern district has the Republic base, a barracks (is this a Saraband barracks or a Republic barracks?), so it should probably be called the Republic District.

The government district is located behind the big castle wall down the path between the church and weapon shop in the central district. It doesn't appear to be reference with any location flags... at least from the central district side.

So they are...

Imperial
Business or Central
Republic
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Lord Oddeye sama » Fri Jan 26 2007 2:27am

Imperial, Business and Republican districts would be my choice.
And it's a Saraband barracks in the Republican district because the soldiers in it have golden armors.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

Lord Oddeye sama

Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Postby Alpha » Fri Jan 26 2007 3:07am

If I remember correctly, it was called the Central District in Scenario 1, yes? If so, why not just keep it that way?
The WoopBlood
Because wooping makes us smile

Laeralas
35/35HP, 22AC, 17AC flat footed, 17AC touch, Fort+10, Reflex+8, Will+5
0) Light, Resistance, Detect Magic
1) Shield, Feather Fall, Shield, Magic Missile
2) Bear's Endurance, Bull's Strength, Bleadeweave, Daggerspell Stance

Chaos Wars Aftermath loot spreadsheet
The WoopBlood
Because wooping makes us smile

Laeralas
35/35HP, 22AC, 17AC flat footed, 17AC touch, Fort+10, Reflex+8, Will+5