Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force III SFIII Translation Project
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Explain

A place for those working on the Shining Force III Translation Patch.

Explain

Postby Dorsk8199 » Sun Jul 02 2006 4:40am

Granted I've been out of the shining loop for a while, but what's all this about? Is this all just for the premium disk or are Scenarios 2 & 3 getting a translation patch too? What's all this about? How does this work? I rip my games to iso images and then apply a patch? Will the game then play only in a modded saturn and/or emulator? Anything else I should know?

Is there some SFIII translation FAQ I'm missing?
Dorsk8199

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Explain

Postby legalize freedom » Sun Jul 02 2006 5:09am

You take your original game CD, run the patch with it. (follow the instructions in the read me) and then you can mount the cue file and play on an emulator or burn the iso and play on a modded saturn.

The patch currently will replace files for the premium disc (translation complete) and scenario 2 (in the works, maybe 50% complete)

There is not really anything else you need to know unless your planning to volunteer to help...
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: Explain

Postby joelsylvie » Sun Jul 02 2006 11:33am

Hello legalize freedom
burn the iso and play on a modded saturn.
The patch currently will replace files for the premium disc (translation complete)

That's GREAT. even if I don't know what the meaning of an iso is!
You take your original game CD, run the patch with it.

Please, does it work with Mac OS?
thanks
bye
joelsylvie

Postby legalize freedom » Sun Jul 02 2006 2:08pm

When you run the patch, it creates an SF3.iso file and a SF3.cue file.

An iso is an disc image that can be burned with most any cd burning software. Find the "Burn image to disc" option on your software...

If your playing with an emulator, you'll need daemon tools to create a virtual drive and "mount" the cue file to run.

I'm sorry, but the patch was not created for mac... If there is a way to do it, I'm not the one to ask. If you could get the emulator to run on mac, I would assume you could run the patch on a friends machine...
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby beano » Wed Jul 26 2006 5:10pm

Long time reader, first time poster. First of all a HUGE big up to everyone involved in the translations for volunteering the time and effort where Sega couldn't be arsed. (By way of introducing myself, I should mention that I wrote to Sega shortly after I got my Dreamcast begging them to translate Scenario 2 and 3 and release the games as a single DC compilation. I can't even remember if I got a reply though).

Anyway - to the point.

If Scenario 2 and 3 get translated I will have to trawl ebay for the Japanese versions of the discs (and a Jap console) to play them on.

I have a couple of questions though:

1) Would a Japanese Saturn be enough or would I also need to get it modded to play backup discs? (Would it be easier to get a modded UK Saturn? I'm reluctant to mod my own - even though I haven't played it in some time I don't want to do any damage to it)

2) Will there be the wee dots above the text in the final release? (as shown here) or will there be a way to remove them?

Once again guys, well done - and a big thank you from SF3 fans everywhere.
beano

Postby knight0fdragon » Wed Jul 26 2006 6:56pm

beano @ Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:10 pm) wrote:1) Would a Japanese Saturn be enough or would I also need to get it modded to play backup discs? (Would it be easier to get a modded UK Saturn? I'm reluctant to mod my own - even though I haven't played it in some time I don't want to do any damage to it)
You have to have some mod method no matter what system you use, a mod chip is easy to install, little if no soldering at all
2) Will there be the wee dots above the text in the final release? (as shown here) or will there be a way to remove them?
This is only on emulators, not real hardware
-- ANTI ELDAR APPRECIATION SOCIETY --

SF3 Tran. Project:
People helping:
Aho,Belegdol,???,Aspartate,Ark666,Dr.Doom,CyberWarriorX,StoneTheRock,an.donor,legalize freedom

Myspace page for DS work
Knight0fDragonDS
-- ANTI ELDAR APPRECIATION SOCIETY --

SF3 Tran. Project:
People helping:
Aho,Belegdol,???,Aspartate,Ark666,Dr.Doom,CyberWarriorX,StoneTheRock,an.donor,legalize freedom

Myspace page for DS work
Knight0fDragonDS
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby legalize freedom » Wed Jul 26 2006 11:48pm

You can also check out the "Quick Question" topic in the main forum for more info on chipping...

You could give it a bump while your there...

In short, you will need the original japanese games, but not a japanese saturn. The patch will create an all region iso, which can be burned to cd and played in any modded saturn.

and as K0D said, the dots are a by-product of the emulator. When you play on a real saturn, everything is beautiful!
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby beano » Wed Aug 02 2006 6:14pm

Thanks for answering guys, I've played through Scen. 1 quite a few times (as has my little brother) and it's still possibly the best, most all-consuming game I've ever played.

I can't find a topic called "quick question" except one (quick question, quick answer) which isn't the one you're talking about, I don't think. I'll have a hunt, but in case I can't find it is there any chance you could point me in the right direction? (When you say the "main forum" you mean the main SF3 one or am I in completely the wrong place?)

Great news about the dots!!

Shame about the modding though, I'm very reluctant to touch the hardware. Was there ever such a thing as a boot-disc for the Saturn that would work?
beano

Postby legalize freedom » Wed Aug 02 2006 6:21pm

The topic slipped to the second page (SF3 main)... Definitely needs a bump now.

I don't know if I've heard of a boot disc (maybe you mean the swap trick), but modding is not that hard as long as you have the right model saturn. The other thread will explain more..
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby beano » Wed Aug 02 2006 6:25pm

Found it...
http://forums.shiningforcecentral.com/i ... topic=7725

The boot disc is something I've heard of for other consoles that lets you boot up with one disc to play another one. It probably doesn't work on the saturn due to the sensor though. Never mind, I'll have a further read on that forum - thanks again!!
beano

Return to SFIII Translation Project