Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force III SFIII Translation Project
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

First Voice Acting

let the ripping begin

A place for those working on the Shining Force III Translation Patch.

Who shall Alex_man be?

Rock
11%
Rock (work needed)
No votes
Bernard
6%
Bernard (work needed)
6%
Rock & Bernard
No votes
Rock & Bernard (work needed)
11%
None, find a different character
67%

Total votes : 18

Re: First Voice Acting

Postby Andy41384 » Sat Jun 03 2006 6:34am

I'm glad you guys liked it. Since I haven't played sc. 3 yet, I really didn't know what the original voice of Arthur sounded like. I just kind of guesstimated it really. I definately agree on the rewording of some of the phrases. ex.. "thunder, hit the enemy" sounded a bit akward, so I switched it up to "thunder, strike thy enemy." I believe that is what I said if I remember correctly. I wanted to try to keep it as close to the original context but make it sound a bit snazzier. I could maybe put a bit more pizzazz into Arthur, like some had suggested (about the monotomousness). If I have a chance I might try some other characters.

This definately sounds like a great project to implement into the game. Would this be done for all 3 scenarios eventually?
Andy41384

Postby NK. » Sat Jun 03 2006 6:59am

Andy41384 @ Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:34 am) wrote: I'm glad you guys liked it. Since I haven't played sc. 3 yet, I really didn't know what the original voice of Arthur sounded like. I just kind of guesstimated it really. I definately agree on the rewording of some of the phrases. ex.. "thunder, hit the enemy" sounded a bit akward, so I switched it up to "thunder, strike thy enemy." I believe that is what I said if I remember correctly. I wanted to try to keep it as close to the original context but make it sound a bit snazzier. I could maybe put a bit more pizzazz into Arthur, like some had suggested (about the monotomousness). If I have a chance I might try some other characters.

This definately sounds like a great project to implement into the game. Would this be done for all 3 scenarios eventually?

yeah just put a lil more heart and emotion into it... like you really wanna KILL or something... but not too psycho... lol
"We fought through the night... and I really need to sleep... and I have a pimple. Oh, I'm so tired of all this." - Masqurin, Shining Force III Scenario I
"We fought through the night... and I really need to sleep... and I have a pimple. Oh, I'm so tired of all this." - Masqurin, Shining Force III Scenario I
NK.

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Lord Oddeye sama » Sat Jun 10 2006 4:15pm

Andy41384) wrote: I definately agree on the rewording of some of the phrases.

You know that Athrades is going to do it, right? You could contact him and give him your suggestion eventually.

EDIT : Just listened to your voices and yeah what the others said : put more emotions in it. Do as if you were on a battlefield and you're going to attack an enemy. :biggrin:
I despise berzerk attitude.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Secretary of Odds and Ends, Rainblood Secessionists
Jinx unto ye!

Wargasm @ Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:26 am wrote:Vous êtes tous douches. J'aime le monde des poissons bleus.

Do you like Shining Force 1? Do you like orchestral remixes? Then this is for you: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24551#p668069
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

Wargasm @ Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:26 am wrote:Vous êtes tous douches. J'aime le monde des poissons bleus.

Do you like Shining Force 1? Do you like orchestral remixes? Then this is for you: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24551#p668069
Lord Oddeye sama

Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Postby KevinO » Thu Jun 15 2006 3:40pm

W00t, I'll do a bunch of these for your perusal.

Excuse me if this has been explained elsewhere, but where can I find a list of the translated battlecries?
KevinO

Postby Flaming Manakin » Fri Jun 16 2006 3:45pm

Just a quick question-

Are we sticking exactly to the translations on jumesyn or can we be a little more creative if it fits with the characters personality? For example Edmund says 'Let's Battle' for one of his warcrys but it would be more interesting (if you buy into the Edmund sounding like a British aristocrat thing) to have something like "Let's battle, old chap" or something like that.

After all, sega obviously changed the meaning o the battle crys when they used the english voices. Noon dosen't reall say "Now bear my arctic blast!"
Flaming Manakin

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Lord Oddeye sama » Fri Jun 16 2006 4:00pm

FM, give Ath suggestions if you feel like.

Kevin, you can find the current ones here.
http://jumesyn.celestialdamnation.com/
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

Lord Oddeye sama

Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Postby fruitbane » Fri Jun 16 2006 11:13pm

I hate to chime this in because it's going to make me sound like a detractor, but...

Those lines all need to be... not retranslated, but... heavily edited and reworded. I think you can get the same feeling, and the same meaning, and much better emotional impact by changing the wording on lots of them. Otherwise you're going to get lost of people submitting recordings of the lines that sound awkward when they don't need to sound awkward.

I think after the lines are translated you need a dedicated editor to go over them, because what we've got right now is a little too close to transliteration.

I think in many cases in order to preserve the EXACT meaning it will always sound awkward, so maybe a willingness to take creative liberties is important. I think being true to the spirit and making it sound cool is the most important thing.

I think this is an awesome project and I want it to succeed, so much so that I'm willing to put up a fit right here in order to help it be the best it can be.

And darnit, I've edited this post 3 whole times now... I'm currently rolling over some new wordings from the page, now. I've taken a decent bit of Japanese myself and I'm sort of looking to the originals to see if I can clean things up and smooth them out. If I come up with anything promising I'll be sure to share.
fruitbane

Postby Lord Oddeye sama » Sat Jun 17 2006 12:22am

fruitbane) wrote:I think after the lines are translated you need a dedicated editor to go over them, because what we've got right now is a little too close to transliteration.

Agreed.
And here is the eventual editor.
http://forums.shiningforcecentral.com/i ... topic=7587
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

Lord Oddeye sama

Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Postby fruitbane » Sat Jun 17 2006 12:46am

Woot! An editor!

I have an odd question. I've been following this particular thread and a couple others, but what might help the potential voice actors the most (not to mention the people trying to make sense of the translations) would be really short video clips of the attacks being delivered, to work out timing. Has anyone thought of making some clips of all the spells and attacks and posting them for everyone? I know it's a momentous task. It requires the ability, probably, to beat the game as well, something I'm not a skilled/patient enough player to do just yet.
fruitbane

Postby KevinO » Sat Jun 17 2006 2:31am

Thanks for the link Oddeye.

I agree that the battlecrys want heavy reworking (they were reworked for the western release of Scenario 1). I also remember right at the start KoD saying that the timing would need to be close to the original timing, although I don't know if this is still the case.

I'm going to take a shot at a bunch of voices probably on Monday in which I'll record the .jp phrases and also some alternate phrases that mean the same thing and work better in English.
KevinO

Postby knight0fdragon » Sat Jun 17 2006 3:11am

timing does not have to be close.... I played a 5 minute song once, the attack did take forever though..

as for the timing, use the PD translation and enter the model mode, in there u can get the model to properly move and work out ur sound
-- ANTI ELDAR APPRECIATION SOCIETY --

SF3 Tran. Project:
People helping:
Aho,Belegdol,???,Aspartate,Ark666,Dr.Doom,CyberWarriorX,StoneTheRock,an.donor,legalize freedom

Myspace page for DS work
Knight0fDragonDS
-- ANTI ELDAR APPRECIATION SOCIETY --

SF3 Tran. Project:
People helping:
Aho,Belegdol,???,Aspartate,Ark666,Dr.Doom,CyberWarriorX,StoneTheRock,an.donor,legalize freedom

Myspace page for DS work
Knight0fDragonDS
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby fruitbane » Sat Jun 17 2006 2:07pm

kod,

Excellent. Thanks for the heads up on PD.
fruitbane

Postby Kalkano » Sat Jun 17 2006 6:58pm

Did you ever get my e-mail with the voice acting clips?
Currently playing for the first time: Trails of Cold Steel 1
Currently re-playing: Nothing

Shining Force 3: Chronology (YouTube Series Here)

"Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No hidden meanings. No hidden agendas. As honesty and integrity characterize our lives there will be no need to manipulate others."
Currently playing for the first time: Trails of Cold Steel 1
Currently re-playing: Nothing

Shining Force 3: Chronology (YouTube Series Here)

"Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No hidden meanings. No hidden agendas. As honesty and integrity characterize our lives there will be no need to manipulate others."
Kalkano

Shining Commander
Shining Hero

Postby Flaming Manakin » Sun Jun 18 2006 1:15pm

I think some creative license would be nice. I think we can trust the SFCers to keep to the spirit of the warcrys while making them sound a bit less clunky than they would if we stuck 100% to the literal translation.
Flaming Manakin

Shining Member
Shining Member

Previous

Return to SFIII Translation Project