Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force III SFIII Translation Project
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Scenario 2 translation

A place for those working on the Shining Force III Translation Patch.

Re: Scenario 2 translation

Postby the ark666 » Sun Sep 18 2005 6:38pm

How old are you, tortie?
10?
Actually you can write jason since the i and j can have the same pronunciation in hebrew.
For example iesus can be written jesus since the pronunciation is the same.
It's phonetically right so don't be so pushy please!
the ark666

Postby knight0fdragon » Sun Sep 18 2005 9:22pm

I had the name Iason down before Aspartate got to it, It was there as a verification, and I am following arks train of thought here, and Jason sounds a lot better then Iason, also Tarethen, your forgetting
produn
magernon
brutus
Colossus
Conrad
Cybel
Dessheren
Domaric
Fiale
Goriate
Irene
Justin
Obright
Ratchet
Shiraf
Tybalt
Varlant

plus more that I could of missed
-- ANTI ELDAR APPRECIATION SOCIETY --

SF3 Tran. Project:
People helping:
Aho,Belegdol,???,Aspartate,Ark666,Dr.Doom,CyberWarriorX,StoneTheRock,an.donor,legalize freedom

Myspace page for DS work
Knight0fDragonDS

SF3 Tran. Project:
People helping:
Aho,Belegdol,???,Aspartate,Ark666,Dr.Doom,CyberWarriorX,StoneTheRock,an.donor,legalize freedom

Myspace page for DS work
Knight0fDragonDS
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Tarethen » Sun Sep 18 2005 10:10pm

knight0fdragon @ Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:22 pm) wrote: I had the name Iason down before Aspartate got to it, It was there as a verification, and I am following arks train of thought here, and Jason sounds a lot better then Iason, also Tarethen, your forgetting
produn
magernon
brutus
Colossus
Conrad
Cybel
Dessheren
Domaric
Fiale
Goriate
Irene
Justin
Obright
Ratchet
Shiraf
Tybalt
Varlant

plus more that I could of missed

O-bu-ra-i-to = Obright.

A-i-ri-n - Irene. When they have an A at the beginning like that, it's still I, and not "Airin" Works the same way for "A-i-su-tee".

Shi-ba-ru-lee - Ah. I see for that one.

Ma-nyu-pi-ru -- Ah.

De-su-he-re-n (I -believe- that was the Katakana for this...) That translates almost the same. Some could say Deathhelen, Dessheren works the same.

A lot of the translatations were at least some what alike. I forgot about the Produn/Profound and everything. And Domaric/Dominate
Tarethen

jRPG Newsman
Shining Legend

Postby knight0fdragon » Sun Sep 18 2005 10:24pm

so are you saying Iason and Jason are not alike

SF3 Tran. Project:
People helping:

Myspace page for DS work
Knight0fDragonDS

SF3 Tran. Project:
People helping:

Myspace page for DS work
Knight0fDragonDS
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Tarethen » Mon Sep 19 2005 12:08am

I don't know what the katakana is, so I can't say if they are or not.

But, from what I am seeing, I assume the katakan is "I-a-so-n" because if it was Jason it would be "Ja-so-n". o_o; I think.
Tarethen

jRPG Newsman
Shining Legend

Postby knight0fdragon » Mon Sep 19 2005 12:27am

Honestly this bickering needs to stop, he is a small character in the game with no real importance

SF3 Tran. Project:
People helping:

Myspace page for DS work
Knight0fDragonDS

SF3 Tran. Project:
People helping:

Myspace page for DS work
Knight0fDragonDS
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Tarethen » Mon Sep 19 2005 12:59am

knight0fdragon @ Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:27 pm) wrote: Honestly this bickering needs to stop, he is a small character in the game with no real importance

I'm not bickering with you. I was just stating that I didn't know what his Katakana said. XD

And, from someone who's not doing the actual translating, maybe it was best that names given in the American version were to stay that way. As for those that only appear in the Japanese version, then direct translations seem to be the way to go.
Tarethen

jRPG Newsman
Shining Legend

Postby Kiggles » Mon Sep 19 2005 12:44pm

In the case of single characters is this much debate truely important. Iason or Jason, it's still just a name. We're not discussing two words with two different meanings. the ark666 even illustrated how it is a phonetically correct translation, and likewise, and more apropriate translation for North America.

Tarethen has a point with the Katakana but unless the original is legitimately trying to communicate an idea, object, or thought, there is no point in going to such extremes over this name.

One thing we all have to remember. The story and characters were originally translated to Japanese from the author's ideas. The author's ideas being abstract. Said ideas had to be tailored during the translation to meet a Japanese audience. We are not Japanese. Translating FOR your audience is just as important as being correct. In the case of absurdity, always default in favor of your audience understanding.

To take a cue from Sky Render's FFVI retranslation, Kappa is not, nor has ever been an English word. It only means anything to a very select few North Americans. That is a poor ENGLISH translation, because quite frankly nothing was translated.

In the case of Iason or Jason, is Jason a liberty taken too far, or just a reasonable adjustment to cater to North America? Seriously, how big a deal is one character, when the original carried no metaphores?

If anyone really wants to get down and dirty: From behindthename.com
JASON
Usage: English, Greek Mythology (Latinized), Biblical
Pronounced: JAY-sun [key]
Extra Info: Popularity, Related Names, Namesakes, Name Days, Websites, Comments
Options: Contribute Information, Add to List
From the Greek name Ιασων (Iason), which was derived from Greek ιασθαι (iasthai) "to heal". Jason was the leader of the Argonauts in Greek legend. He went in search of the Golden Fleece in order to win back his kingdom from his uncle Pelias. During his journeys he married the sorceress Medea, who helped him gain the fleece and kill his uncle, but who later turned against him when he fell in love with another woman. This name is also used in Acts in the New Testament to translate the Hebrew name Joshua.
Kiggles

Postby Tortie » Mon Sep 19 2005 2:12pm

I already knew that Jason was a form of Iason, which makes this whole thing extremely funny. XD

That being said, the main issue I have here is even though they're essentially the same knightofdragon is chosing Jason over Iason because he thinks it sounds "better." Forget what it was originally, forget that Iason's a name that's used today, he's going to avoid using Iason just because people in North America might be unfamiliar with it. I dislike that type of unfaithful translation, especially when it's the only one available. It's like Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone all over again.

"Kiggles") wrote:the ark666 even illustrated how it is a phonetically correct translation, and likewise, and more apropriate translation for North America.

Gosh, I didn't know most people in North America spoke hebrew and pronounced I and J in the same way. ;)

"Kiggles") wrote:In the case of absurdity, always default in favor of your audience understanding.

In a fantasy based game with names like Synbios and Dantares, is Iason really that absurd? Jason seems more absurd in that setting, to me anyway.

"Kiggles") wrote:Seriously, how big a deal is one character, when the original carried no metaphores?

I think the fact that his mother and sister also have names that begin with "i" is reason enough to choose Iason over Jason. You all can disagree, of course, but that's how I see it.

And also, while it may seem to some of you that I'm making a BIG HUGE DEAL OMG over this, I don't really feel like I'm being unreasonable by bringing this up. I'm not trying to pick a fight.
"ALWAYS serve fresh orange juice. Only whores use frozen."
Tortie

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby knight0fdragon » Mon Sep 19 2005 3:16pm

um, his sisters name is romatera, only the mother is I and not a lot of children get named after there mother, and also sega would of probably made it jason also, look at justin, do you call that a fantasy name. Also, this translation was never meant to be 100% pure down to the last drop japanese to english, We creators of this are putting out own little touches into it to make it more interesting, and that is what is great about a monopoly, we make all the calls. If you dont like it, you reverse engineer the decompressor, then reverse engineen thath to make the compressor and you can make the translation however youd like, now stop with the whining, this is suppose to be used for words in scen 2. Iason will be Jason, get use to it or dont use my patch.

SF3 Tran. Project:
People helping:

Myspace page for DS work
Knight0fDragonDS

SF3 Tran. Project:
People helping:

Myspace page for DS work
Knight0fDragonDS
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Tortie » Mon Sep 19 2005 6:19pm

knight0fdragon @ Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:16 am) wrote: um, his sisters name is romatera,

I'm a moron. :thumbsup:
Tortie

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby knight0fdragon » Tue Sep 20 2005 3:57am

At least we agree on something, now if we can get back to what this topic was for

I cant seem to get decent translations for these to things,
any1 that can help would be great

ImageImage

SF3 Tran. Project:
People helping:

Myspace page for DS work
Knight0fDragonDS

SF3 Tran. Project:
People helping:

Myspace page for DS work
Knight0fDragonDS
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Aspartate » Tue Sep 20 2005 4:07am

Bookcase about the three princes:

Magernon is unreliable. Arrwant is blinded by his ambitions. Medion lives under the shadow of his two brothers.

I checked the Famitsu guide and the artbook and can't find anyone named "パピィ". There's a puppy in Dusty village but nobody talks about it.
The closest I can think of are:
1. ハーピィ = Harpy, bird that paralyze you with special attack. Met in Garvin's mansion.
2. パピィドラゴン = puppy dragon (baby dragon). If Synbios didn't kill it, Medion will see it when crossing the volcano. Otherwise we get to see its mommy.
Aspartate

Postby knight0fdragon » Tue Sep 20 2005 5:20am

thank you, what about those 2 kanji characters, sorry about the quality but the bmp to jpeg conversion sucks

SF3 Tran. Project:
People helping:

Myspace page for DS work
Knight0fDragonDS

SF3 Tran. Project:
People helping:

Myspace page for DS work
Knight0fDragonDS
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby aho » Tue Sep 20 2005 6:40am

Aspartate if you coudl translate these following speech bubbles, I'd appreciate it, no rush tho. It's the theives guarding Shiraf's mansion before you can get in, in Dusty Village.

Edit: One more, this is what Campbell says if you try to leave Dusty village too early.

aho

Postby Aspartate » Tue Sep 20 2005 9:48am

KoD- It means fire/shoot/launch.

aho-
first pic: Hey! Hey! Where do you think you are going?
You want to meet Shiraf? maybe after another 10 years.
2nd pic: Bah! I don't care if you are some notable from the Empire.
I happen to know a couple of important people from the Empire too.
How's that? Now if you're afraid, go back to your mommy. Shoo, shoo!
Campbel: Lord Medion, we've only beginning to investigate.
Please investigate this village a little more.
Aspartate

Postby knight0fdragon » Tue Sep 20 2005 12:50pm

Of course, the cannon THANK YOU

SF3 Tran. Project:
People helping:

Myspace page for DS work
Knight0fDragonDS

SF3 Tran. Project:
People helping:

Myspace page for DS work
Knight0fDragonDS
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Darksol's Psychiatrist » Tue Sep 20 2005 1:07pm

2nd pic: Bah! I don't care if you are some notable from the Empire

Shouldn't that be

"Bah! I don't care if you are some noble from the Empire"

:thumbsup:

Postby aho » Tue Sep 20 2005 9:27pm

notable is also a word. Thanks very much Aspartate! :) :)
aho

Postby knight0fdragon » Tue Sep 20 2005 10:32pm

i would go with Darksol's Psychiatrist on that 1, it sounds better

SF3 Tran. Project:
People helping:

Myspace page for DS work
Knight0fDragonDS

SF3 Tran. Project:
People helping:

Myspace page for DS work
Knight0fDragonDS
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

PreviousNext

Return to SFIII Translation Project