Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force III SFIII Translation Project
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Translation on a Third-Party Console

A place for those working on the Shining Force III Translation Patch.

Translation on a Third-Party Console

Postby Rocket Red » Sat May 11 2019 12:39am

Hi everyone!

I had contacted legalize freedom! via the translation project webpage privately, and he encouraged me to register here and maybe post what I had asked him about.

Basically, I should admit I am completely useless to assisting this effort. I am not in the least programming-savvy, and I can only speak English. I, in fact, have never actually even used the translation patches (although as part of my collection I do own the Japanese SF3 scenarios). However, I've lurked on SF fan sites for years and was keenly aware of this endeavour. You guys are simply awesome for donating so much of your personal time in an effort to let other, less bilingual fans enjoy the games!

Anyway, at the risk of sounding like an ad, I won't mention specifically what console unless someone says it's cool to do so - but there is an upcoming third-party console that will play multiple disc-based and cartridge platforms on modern televisions. One of those platforms is Sega Saturn, and indeed the system plays all regions. Further, one of the things I like about the system is that it is built to only play original discs, not "backups" or whatever you want to call them.

Then, upon reading their FAQ, I noticed that the system will be able to load translation files in the form of something called an IPS patch. Again, I'm out of my element as I really don't emulate at all, so I don't know what that is... which brings me back to why I had written. I didn't know if the translation work that had been done could in any way easily be made into one of these sort of things? I just think (maybe too hopefully) that this new console is really neat, and as an owner of a modest classic game collection, I'd much like to replace my current 'modern-retro' setup.

I realise I basically showed up with my hand out since I have nothing of value to offer this project, so feel free to tell me to go fly a kite. But maybe there'd be some interest in this system and it's capabilities?
Rocket Red

Re: Translation on a Third-Party Console

Postby knight0fdragon » Sat May 11 2019 6:01am

no offense, but this third party console is going to be a POS when it comes to saturn games. Also "will only play original games" is 100% a complete lie because the costs involve to recreate the back up protections for various disc based systems would destroy all profits for said console
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Rune » Sat May 11 2019 9:30am

You might as well say the name of the system, so we can look it up.

But I am also skeptical of its abilities to play sega saturn games, unless it is a rather pricey piece of hardware.
Bury me with my money.
Bury me with my money.
Rune

Shut the feck up fatty.
Shining Legend

Postby legalize freedom » Sat May 11 2019 12:30pm

Welcome aboard, Red!

He is talking about the Polymega. Most are skeptical about the system in general, but it would certainly be great if it worked as advertised.

I believe IPS patches are strictly for ROMs and I'm not sure they have advertised a similar function for disc based systems.

No matter what form of copy protection is implemented, a jailbreak patch will be available shortly after it gets into the wild, so that shouldn't be an issue. My advice is to be prepared to play the translation on a burned disc in the Polymega.

If it launches with (or when they add) additional functionality, we can come up with a best practice as needed.

Thanks for bringing it up, Rocket Red! Everyone will be curious about whether the Polymega can emulate SF3 more accurately than SSF or the Retroarch cores, so I hope you'll stay engaged. If reports are good, I may pick one up myself.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby knight0fdragon » Sat May 11 2019 2:11pm

..... From researching it, it sounds like it is retroarch on a pc. It is an emulation system, and it looks like it will play copies
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Rocket Red » Sat May 11 2019 8:58pm

knight0fdragon wrote:..... From researching it, it sounds like it is retroarch on a pc. It is an emulation system, and it looks like it will play copies

Their FAQ specifically states that's untrue; and repeatedly on their Twitter, interviews, etc., they have no obvious intention to let the system play copies. I guess that's not to say someone won't figure out how, but that would take modifying the hardware, presumably.

Anyway. I just wanted to gauge interest, and clearly there isn't any. Thanks for your time, all.
Rocket Red

Postby DomingoRules! » Sat May 11 2019 9:10pm

I'm sure some people will be interested in time, if it works out. Problem is the skepticism, especially when it comes to something so insanely difficult to emulate as the Sega Saturn, which to my understanding is one of the most infamous consoles ever made when it comes to emulation thanks to its intricate protections. Extensive interest in such a platform will probably have to wait until we can see the final product in action first-hand, because until then a lot of people will be too uncertain about putting their eggs in that basket.
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby legalize freedom » Sat May 11 2019 9:26pm

Rocket Red wrote:they have no obvious intention to let the system play copies. I guess that's not to say someone won't figure out how, but that would take modifying the hardware, presumably.

Anyway. I just wanted to gauge interest, and clearly there isn't any. Thanks for your time, all.

I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion there is no interest. We are all interested, but that's all it will amount to until the system is released.

You can take the recently released Analogue Mega SG as a clue as to how this is going to go. Days after it was released a jailbreak patch was released. This was a software only patch, more like firmware, and it unlocked a bunch of functionality. The devs of this console knew very well it would be unlocked, but they couldn't legally release it like that.

If the Polymega devs could somehow make it so the system couldn't be unlocked to play backups or to run games off of other media, such as an SD card, (which I don't believe is realistic) they would fail miserably. Very few would sell. They are already facing stiff competition and criticism for moving away from FPGA after collecting a bunch of people's money, so I would think they would want to make this as consumer friendly as possible.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby knight0fdragon » Sat May 11 2019 11:47pm

Rocket Red wrote:
knight0fdragon wrote:..... From researching it, it sounds like it is retroarch on a pc. It is an emulation system, and it looks like it will play copies

Their FAQ specifically states that's untrue; and repeatedly on their Twitter, interviews, etc., they have no obvious intention to let the system play copies. I guess that's not to say someone won't figure out how, but that would take modifying the hardware, presumably.

Yeah, they are referring to the Front End in the FAQ. When people talk about retroarch, they usually are implying Mednafen, which is what polymega is using as their emulator

WHAT SOFTWARE DOES POLYMEGA™ USE?
Architecture: x86
User Interface: Codename Richter (Proprietary, Linux Based).
Emulators: Legally licensed versions of Mednafen, Mesen, Kega Fusion, and MAME with additional bug fixes, CD BIOS development, and replaced YM2610 for Neo Geo CD from Playmaji.
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby knight0fdragon » Sun May 12 2019 8:48am

Rocket Red wrote:they have no obvious intention to let the system play copies. I guess that's not to say someone won't figure out how, but that would take modifying the hardware, presumably.

Doesn't mean they are going to implement the securities... also, how do they plan on distributing the 5 games? I doubt they are producing new cartridge games, so it is most likly going to either be on board, or a cd that has the 5 games.

I do not see this console working at all. Most people who own original games also own original hardware. The emu boxes like the retron work because they offer something different. Be it a console that is all in one, or offer HD, or something else. The modular approach means you are going to have to swap out components, this is not something gamers are going to want to do.

As for translation support, I doubt that will happen. Patching on the fly for CD based systems would be a pain in the ass, because these makers would need to implement symbolic links or something to get the drive to redirect to the flash when it needs to access altered files.
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby legalize freedom » Sun May 12 2019 1:51pm

I think it will work if and only if they get the Sega CD and Saturn emu right. Everything else has been done and better. In fact, if the rumors are true and Analogue releases a Sega CD add on, the Saturn emu is the only thing that will set this apart. The Mega SD is the holy grail of genesis/sega cd video output.

It will also work because original hardware is failing 30 years on. Everyone wants new hardware to play their classic library, oh and without haven't to actually plug them in, is probably a requirement these days.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby knight0fdragon » Sun May 12 2019 11:57pm

“Original hardware is failing 30 years on”

This is an emu box, it is not an FPGA box like the analogue mega sd that offers 100% compatibility because it emulates the actual hardware, as in it is not a PC having to translate from genesis to pc.

We wont see this type of emulation for saturn or 32x hardware for quite some time because of the complexity behind the chip.

That being said, since it is an emu box, there are plenty of better/cheaper emulator alternatives. The modular approach is going to be its major downfall. What they need to do is devise a way to be able to use 1 slot for multiple systems. The less complexity the better.
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby legalize freedom » Wed Jun 19 2019 1:54am

And here it is. The holy grail of Sega CD, when paired with the Analogue Mega SG (for now anyway). Saturn is the only thing the Polymega has left.

https://shop.terraonion.com/en/products/16-megasd_megacd_segacd_fpga_cartridge.html
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby knight0fdragon » Wed Jun 19 2019 2:37am

legalize freedom wrote:And here it is. The holy grail of Sega CD, when paired with the Analogue Mega SG (for now anyway). Saturn is the only thing the Polymega has left.

https://shop.terraonion.com/en/products/16-megasd_megacd_segacd_fpga_cartridge.html

Polymega is supporting that new camera light gun that was kick started, so this MAYYYYYYY help it (if it ever comes out)

The only thing this is is a sega cd in cart form. You still need a 32x if you want to play 32x stuff, which Analogue Mega SG still can't do properly.
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Return to SFIII Translation Project