Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force III SFIII Translation Project
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Revisiting Established Spell Names

Poll is Live!

A place for those working on the Shining Force III Translation Patch.

Please pick your choices for the two spell names. See first post for details.

Poll runs till Wed Oct 09 2019 12:38pm

Bolt
20%
Spark
30%
Desoul
17%
Soul Steal
33%

Total votes : 30

Re: Revisiting Established Spell Names

Postby legalize freedom » Thu Jun 13 2019 12:02pm

The poll is live!
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby alex_man » Fri Jun 14 2019 3:37am

spark and soul steal :thumbsup:
alex_man

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby DomingoRules! » Fri Jun 14 2019 5:48pm

I'm torn between three things. Keeping the spells consistent with the other Shining Force games. Keeping the spells consistent with Holy Ark. Or mixing it up based on my previous proposal that Soul Steal and Desoul are in fact different spells, thus throwing my votes to Bolt and Soul Steal.
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby legalize freedom » Fri Jun 14 2019 6:04pm

DomingoRules! wrote:I'm torn between three things. Keeping the spells consistent with the other Shining Force games. Keeping the spells consistent with Holy Ark. Or mixing it up based on my previous proposal that Soul Steal and Desoul are in fact different spells, thus throwing my votes to Bolt and Soul Steal.

We will make Holy Ark consistent with SF3 in the future so you can cross that dilemma off the list.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby RedArcher » Fri Jun 14 2019 6:58pm

As much as I like the fact that SFIII is trying to be close as possible to the japanese original names, I'm still leaning towards BOLT and DESOUL.
RedArcher

Postby RetroZanon » Fri Jun 14 2019 7:56pm

Spark and Soul Steal.
RetroZanon

Postby Rune » Fri Jun 14 2019 8:28pm

legalize freedom wrote:
DomingoRules! wrote:I'm torn between three things. Keeping the spells consistent with the other Shining Force games. Keeping the spells consistent with Holy Ark. Or mixing it up based on my previous proposal that Soul Steal and Desoul are in fact different spells, thus throwing my votes to Bolt and Soul Steal.

We will make Holy Ark consistent with SF3 in the future so you can cross that dilemma off the list.

I don't agree with that reasoning.

Suppose you do a retranslation of STHA. I doubt it will have the same interest from the community as the SF3 translation. Unless you somehow up the framerate, why should I bother playing your version of STHA when I have a perfectly good one? I don't see why the possibility of a STHA translation project should have any bearing on this decision.
Bury me with my money.
Bury me with my money.
Rune

Shut the feck up fatty.
Shining Legend

Postby legalize freedom » Sun Jun 16 2019 1:37pm

The review and "correction" of STHA should bear as much on this decision as your desire for the two games to match.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby knight0fdragon » Sun Jun 16 2019 3:35pm

Rune wrote:
legalize freedom wrote:

I don't agree with that reasoning.

Suppose you do a retranslation of STHA. I doubt it will have the same interest from the community as the SF3 translation. Unless you somehow up the framerate, why should I bother playing your version of STHA when I have a perfectly good one? I don't see why the possibility of a STHA translation project should have any bearing on this decision.

I dunno, I see many games out there that have retranslations of their US counterparts to fix the broken English in it. Will it be as big as SF3, definitely not, but some people may appreciate it. It is not like any of these games are cheap anymore and people are playing originals.
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby DomingoRules! » Sun Jun 16 2019 7:49pm

Is there really enough inconsistency in Holy Ark against the SF3 translation that would warrant the effort?
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Rune » Sun Jun 16 2019 8:15pm

I remember being excited about the FF4 retranslation, but then I never played it. I remember being excited about the PS2 retranslation, but then I never played it.

If other people care for it, sure good for them and they can enjoy it. But myself, I care about the SF3 translation and don't care about the possibility of the STHA retranslation. Yes, people are entitled to want a reskinned STHA, but I'm entitled to not want it.
Bury me with my money.
Bury me with my money.
Rune

Shut the feck up fatty.
Shining Legend

Postby legalize freedom » Sun Jun 16 2019 8:41pm

DomingoRules! wrote:Is there really enough inconsistency in Holy Ark against the SF3 translation that would warrant the effort?

The effort would amount to correcting the inconsistency and a grammar pass. I'm not suggesting a complete re-translation. Mainly just correct what isn't consistent.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby knight0fdragon » Mon Jun 17 2019 2:28pm

Rune wrote:I remember being excited about the FF4 retranslation, but then I never played it. I remember being excited about the PS2 retranslation, but then I never played it.

If other people care for it, sure good for them and they can enjoy it. But myself, I care about the SF3 translation and don't care about the possibility of the STHA retranslation. Yes, people are entitled to want a reskinned STHA, but I'm entitled to not want it.

Sure, you are entitled to not want it, but you are not entitled to stop others from creating it haha. You can mix and match all of the different versions of translations this team creates with the originals to form your own story haha.
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Swalchy » Tue Jun 18 2019 12:57pm

I do prefer Spark and Soul Steal, and would actually prefer the earlier Megadrive/Genesis/GG games to have them named that way as well.

Plus to be honest, if you're not happy with the spell names eventually chosen for the "official" translation, you can use the Translation programme yourself and put whatever spell names you want in your own version :)

Or, if LF would be up for it, producing two versions of the SF3 Patch, one with the "Newer" Sega Saturn spell names, and one with the "older" spell names.
The Way To Yahuweh
Dead Sea Scroll Images
Latest Update Post

Salibu: 20/08/10 wrote:You have all been Swalched.

Damn I've been here a long f*cking time...
The Way To Yahuweh
Dead Sea Scroll Images
Latest Update Post

Salibu: 20/08/10 wrote:You have all been Swalched.

Damn I've been here a long f*cking time...
Swalchy

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby legalize freedom » Tue Jun 18 2019 6:10pm

I'm a bit shocked at the support for Spark. Leading up to this poll, the vast majority, like 9 out of 10 people I asked thought it was a no-brainer to use Bolt. That Spark just sounded weak and didn't describe a lightning bolt whatsoever. So much so I almost didn't bother putting up a poll for it...

Soul Steal and Desoul was right down the middle, so that is expected.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby knight0fdragon » Tue Jun 18 2019 7:09pm

legalize freedom wrote:I'm a bit shocked at the support for Spark. Leading up to this poll, the vast majority, like 9 out of 10 people I asked thought it was a no-brainer to use Bolt. That Spark just sounded weak and didn't describe a lightning bolt whatsoever. So much so I almost didn't bother putting up a poll for it...

Soul Steal and Desoul was right down the middle, so that is expected.

Huh? As of this post, Bolt is 6/15 and Spark is 9/15.

Desoul is 5/15 and Soul Steal is 10/15

Soul Steal is definitely no right down the middle lol.

I am curious on those 9 Sparks though, because the 6 Bolts have voiced their opinions, but the sparks are quiet.

Also, based on a forum search. I see quite a number of people constantly having to say Bolt/Spark when talking about the spell, so perhaps opinion should not decide this, but how it is communicated between the members naturally.
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby DomingoRules! » Tue Jun 18 2019 10:28pm

Could also be some people who prefer to keep it the same, even if they prefer the other by name. Just so they don't have to get accustom to the spells in SF3 suddenly being called something different from what they've always been known as in that particular trilogy.
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Previous