Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force III SFIII Translation Project
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

David's Classes Decision

Poll Closed

A place for those working on the Shining Force III Translation Patch.

What is the most appropriate starting class for David?

Poll ended at Fri Apr 19 2019 12:33pm

Hunter Striker Commando
9
50%
Fighter Striker Commando
0
No votes
Battler Striker Commando
0
No votes
Ranger Striker Commando
9
50%
 
Total votes : 18

Re: David's Classes Decision

Postby MXC » Mon Apr 15 2019 4:32pm

I'm reading through the translation posted on SFC and found this line:

Child 1 in the Trees:
There's no chief in Stamp Village. But David, who lives in the biggest tree, takes care of the management of the village.
So Chieftain seems pretty out of place :lol:

Regardless, here is a list of the suggested class names (for all tiers):

Code: Select all
Battler
Brawler
Champion
Chieftain
Commando
Fighter
Guerrilla
Hunter/Huntsman
Ranger
Scout
Skirmisher
Strider
Striker


I probably missed a few due to paragraphs of commentary so if I did, add it here.

I believe Commando is the desired final class though so maybe that should be used as a starting (ending) point. What two classes should come before Commando?
MXC

User avatar
1090
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 25537
Joined: Fri Sep 17 2004 1:48am
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

Re: David's Classes Decision

Postby Tor_Heyerdal » Mon Apr 15 2019 6:23pm

DiegoMM wrote:Sorry to bring a new word, but anyone thought about Strider?

I'm okay with that suggestion. It definitely seems like a pretty solid potential.

MXC wrote:
Child 1 in the Trees:
There's no chief in Stamp Village. But David, who lives in the biggest tree, takes care of the management of the village.

So Chieftain seems pretty out of place :lol:

Oh... Well, shit. xD That actually really bites, 'cause I was really feelin' that class option.

Okay, so since there's clearly no arguing with the kid in the trees, I suppose that now I'm leaning towards Strider > Champion > Commando. I'm still feelin' that Champion idea, and--at least for the time being--I'm diggin' the Strider label. In the realm of fantasy, it's basically synonymous with Ranger without actually being Ranger. So it's not actually striding (heheh) too far from his original, unfortunately misplaced, class.
Creator of Shining Force III: 16-bit (WIP).
Tjelladallak våriiikeõdõtsyk jeissõ'eilamnikinõhõn. Ii'tuntoimjähädälläjät, niin miietsy iimpa'tyõhõnja.
Creator of Shining Force III: 16-bit (WIP).
Tjelladallak våriiikeõdõtsyk jeissõ'eilamnikinõhõn. Ii'tuntoimjähädälläjät, niin miietsy iimpa'tyõhõnja.
Tor_Heyerdal

User avatar
Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 352
Joined: Fri Jan 11 2013 4:18am
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: David's Classes Decision

Postby legalize freedom » Mon Apr 15 2019 6:57pm

I can check that line, how it ended up, but it's semantics. Use a different word or phrasing there and Chieftain still works. It is a good point, though, that the villagers do say there is no official chief, but David is their leader. Again, I think the words are interchangeable. I think it's just that they have no officially recognized leader, but David is the acting leader. I believe his class could still be Chieftain without being Stumps official village chief.

I would say if Strider were to be an option, it would be in replacement of Striker.

Champion is already in use by Penn.
legalize freedom

User avatar
Shining Legend
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 1901
Joined: Sat Apr 29 2006 4:09am
Location: Texas, USA

Re: David's Classes Decision

Postby DiegoMM » Mon Apr 15 2019 7:53pm

I think Strider works as a replacement either to Ranger or Striker.

Tor has a good point, Strider is basically a ranger where we avoid the ranger word, so no conflict with old shining and same concept.
Speaking...tires me.
Fighting...tires me
I'm tired.
Speaking...tires me.
Fighting...tires me
I'm tired.
DiegoMM

User avatar
Shining Hero
Shining Hero
 
Posts: 508
Joined: Wed May 05 2010 2:48pm

Re: David's Classes Decision

Postby DomingoRules! » Mon Apr 15 2019 9:55pm

That whole thing with the kid is semantics, yes, but I do feel as though a lot of this is coming down to semantics. Digging into them to figure the perfect title for David. An effort I feel wouldn't be worth it for most characters in the game, but as I've already stated, David's significance means he deserves deeper consideration for his class titles than most of the Shining Force.

I suppose it would come down to how literal a translation that line is from the original Japanese, and if it would be worth modifying or disregarding for the sake of appeasing the semantics. Not to mention if David technically isn't a chief, would he still perceive himself as one in essence, seeing as he still serves the same essential role despite lacking the official title? After all, giving him the title of Acting Chief is not only a mouthful, but sounds tacky.

Perhaps Chief or Chieftain could even work as a second promotion instead, if not first, since he'd be promoted based on his qualifications. That way he'd become a Chieftain through the divine powers of promotion in recognition of him having the qualifications, but never before having formally taken up the mantle of said authoritative status.
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
DomingoRules!

User avatar
Shining Legend
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 1846
Joined: Tue Feb 17 2009 5:50am

Re: David's Classes Decision

Postby knight0fdragon » Mon Apr 15 2019 10:18pm

legalize freedom wrote:I can check that line, how it ended up, but it's semantics. Use a different word or phrasing there and Chieftain still works. It is a good point, though, that the villagers do say there is no official chief, but David is their leader. Again, I think the words are interchangeable. I think it's just that they have no officially recognized leader, but David is the acting leader. I believe his class could still be Chieftain without being Stumps official village chief.

I would say if Strider were to be an option, it would be in replacement of Striker.

Champion is already in use by Penn.


Not a fan of Champion, makes David sound like he belongs in an arena.

Also, we should avoid using his leadership role as his class, because any promotion sounds like a demotion after “Chieftain”.

Like he is no longer the acting chief of Stamp village? LOL.
knight0fdragon

User avatar
Shining Hero
Shining Hero
 
Posts: 1191
Joined: Fri Nov 05 2004 5:36am
Location: Good ol(Not Really) Pennsylvania USA

Re: David's Classes Decision

Postby MXC » Tue Apr 16 2019 2:30am

I think I'm becoming more partial to Scout after reading through some of the game context. Again, correct me if I'm wrong with some of this but it seems like David has literally done a good job scouting the area and looking out for the village. He gets brought in on Medion's team and becomes a more active physical force. He goes from being just a pair of eyes to actively doing something. To that end, I like Scout -> Guerrilla -> Commando.

Otherwise agree with points against Chieftain and Champion.
MXC

User avatar
1090
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 25537
Joined: Fri Sep 17 2004 1:48am
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

Re: David's Classes Decision

Postby knight0fdragon » Tue Apr 16 2019 3:23am

MXC wrote:I think I'm becoming more partial to Scout after reading through some of the game context. Again, correct me if I'm wrong with some of this but it seems like David has literally done a good job scouting the area and looking out for the village. He gets brought in on Medion's team and becomes a more active physical force. He goes from being just a pair of eyes to actively doing something. To that end, I like Scout -> Guerrilla -> Commando.

Otherwise agree with points against Chieftain and Champion.



That really isn't the job of a scout, scouts are used for survelience of new areas, not for security of a current area.
knight0fdragon

User avatar
Shining Hero
Shining Hero
 
Posts: 1191
Joined: Fri Nov 05 2004 5:36am
Location: Good ol(Not Really) Pennsylvania USA


Re: David's Classes Decision

Postby knight0fdragon » Tue Apr 16 2019 3:54pm

You are then calling him a sentry at that point, which again is not David. His job is to not gather intel, stand guard, spy, sneak, explore, etc lol.
knight0fdragon

User avatar
Shining Hero
Shining Hero
 
Posts: 1191
Joined: Fri Nov 05 2004 5:36am
Location: Good ol(Not Really) Pennsylvania USA

Re: David's Classes Decision

Postby Tor_Heyerdal » Tue Apr 16 2019 5:59pm

legalize freedom wrote:Champion is already in use by Penn.

Is it? Are you for reals? I just checked my notes, and according to what I have written here, Penn's classes are Penguin > Flare Penguin > Penguin King.

DiegoMM wrote:I think Strider works as a replacement either to Ranger or Striker.

Agreed, for reasons already stated.

DomingoRules! wrote:Perhaps Chief or Chieftain could even work as a second promotion instead, if not first, since he'd be promoted based on his qualifications.

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I disagree. At no point after joining Medion's forces does he "become" a chieftain. Either he was chief of Stump Village or he wasn't.

DomingoRules! wrote:That way he'd become a Chieftain through the divine powers of promotion in recognition of him having the qualifications, but never before having formally taken up the mantle of said authoritative status.

While that does seem like a plausible thing that could happen, I think we should probably avoid canonizing speculation. It's not really our place to do that. It's one thing to make the odd tweak here and there for the sake of localization consistency, it's another thing entirely to add new details to the lore. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that's what this project is about. As far as I understand it, this is the same reason we appear to have already more or less taken General off the table.

knightOfdragon wrote:Not a fan of Champion, makes David sound like he belongs in an arena.

It really doesn't. Champion is not another word for gladiator. Actually, on that note, what about gladiator? The traditional SF promoted Warrior class? Why don't they sound like they belong in an arena? But that aside, the word champion does not entail an arena. It's true that it's often used in that context, but that's not intrinsic to the word. If you can't dissociate the word from that particular context, then that's your bias.

knightOfdragon wrote:Also, we should avoid using his leadership role as his class, because any promotion sounds like a demotion after “Chieftain”.

Like he is no longer the acting chief of Stamp village? LOL.

Do Mages stop being Mages when they get promoted to Wizard? Do Priests stop being Priests when they get promoted to Vicars? Do Swordsmen stop being Swordsmen when they get promoted to Heroes? Do Archers stop being Archers when they get promoted to Snipers? Of course not. The same would be true for a hypothetical Chieftain>Champion David. He wouldn't stop being a Chieftain. He would just also be a Champion.

However, all of that said, I'm inclined to forsake the idea of Chieftain when it's canonically established in-game that Stump Village explicitly does not have a chieftain. So, at least from my perspective, it's something of a moot point.

MXC wrote:I think I'm becoming more partial to Scout after reading through some of the game context.

MXC wrote:You can scout for threats and return to your position.

I'm okay with Scout as being a viable option.

So, okay, if Chieftain is off the table, what about Warden? "A person responsible for the supervision of a particular place or thing or for ensuring that regulations associated with it are obeyed." That actually sounds like EXACTLY what David is/does.
Creator of Shining Force III: 16-bit (WIP).
Tjelladallak våriiikeõdõtsyk jeissõ'eilamnikinõhõn. Ii'tuntoimjähädälläjät, niin miietsy iimpa'tyõhõnja.
Creator of Shining Force III: 16-bit (WIP).
Tjelladallak våriiikeõdõtsyk jeissõ'eilamnikinõhõn. Ii'tuntoimjähädälläjät, niin miietsy iimpa'tyõhõnja.
Tor_Heyerdal

User avatar
Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 352
Joined: Fri Jan 11 2013 4:18am
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: David's Classes Decision

Postby legalize freedom » Tue Apr 16 2019 6:22pm

Penns classes are Penguin, Champion and Emperor.

Chieftain and General are not only still in play, they are leading contenders, albeit for different line options.

I'm guessing we will need a poll to determine if we want to go the Commando or General route. If it is decided for the Commando route, then another poll to determine the first (and maybe the second) class options.
legalize freedom

User avatar
Shining Legend
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 1901
Joined: Sat Apr 29 2006 4:09am
Location: Texas, USA


Re: David's Classes Decision

Postby legalize freedom » Tue Apr 16 2019 11:08pm

MXC wrote:Curious how Chieftain and General are still in play when other concepts from SF3 really weigh against them. Commando has had all the support even from the last topic.


Far more weighs in their favor than against. There have been some misrepresentations in this thread and I haven't the time or the desire to debate them. I'm simply mining the good ideas. I will, however, fully explain each option when the time comes, so they all get a fair shake.

The Commando line is certainly still in play.
legalize freedom

User avatar
Shining Legend
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 1901
Joined: Sat Apr 29 2006 4:09am
Location: Texas, USA

Re: David's Classes Decision

Postby knight0fdragon » Wed Apr 17 2019 4:22am

Tor_Heyerdal wrote:
knightOfdragon wrote:Not a fan of Champion, makes David sound like he belongs in an arena.

It really doesn't. Champion is not another word for gladiator. Actually, on that note, what about gladiator? The traditional SF promoted Warrior class? Why don't they sound like they belong in an arena? But that aside, the word champion does not entail an arena. It's true that it's often used in that context, but that's not intrinsic to the word. If you can't dissociate the word from that particular context, then that's your bias.

We are dealing with a mideval style game here.... so bias is going to exist. What exactly is he the Champion of? Who is rallying behind him? What is the competition in which he can become "champ"?


Tor_Heyerdal wrote:
knightOfdragon wrote:Also, we should avoid using his leadership role as his class, because any promotion sounds like a demotion after “Chieftain”.

Like he is no longer the acting chief of Stamp village? LOL.



Do Mages stop being Mages when they get promoted to Wizard? Do Priests stop being Priests when they get promoted to Vicars? Do Swordsmen stop being Swordsmen when they get promoted to Heroes? Do Archers stop being Archers when they get promoted to Snipers? Of course not. The same would be true for a hypothetical Chieftain>Champion David. He wouldn't stop being a Chieftain. He would just also be a Champion.



...Is this a serious question? Yes, Wizards are not Mages, Vicars are not Priests, Heroes are not Swordsmen, Snipers are not Archers, Generals are not Soldiers, Presidents are not Citizens, Kings are not Peasants, Blastoise is not a Squirtle .... wait wrong game. Title has meaning, and a "Promotion" dictates that you have a higher ranking title than your previous title. If you hold the title of "Chief", a "Champion" does not sound like a promotion. I ask my question again, what is the competition in which he became Champion? Did all of the Chiefs of the area hold reindeer games and he is now Champion of Chiefs? I would think his title would then be Champion of Chiefs, and not mearly Champion.

Another good example of why I am against Chieftain is Rogan. He is the Govenor of Barrand, but Govenor is not anywhere in his class names.

MXC wrote: Curious how Chieftain and General are still in play when other concepts from SF3 really weigh against them. Commando has had all the support even from the last topic.


What concepts from SF3 weigh against his title of General? The only argument I saw was that of Marky being a Witch and not a Wizard, but I wouldn't exactly call that a heavy weight against the argument, but I do agree that him being a General does move down on the list. Speaking of which, in Scenario 3, are the 4 generals unique in their classes, as in they hold a seperate location in the file that is addressed differently?



As far as the class "Strider", that is usually given to somebody who travels great distances. If his speed was 7, I would be more inclined to go with it. Does he move better in terrains than normal foot soldiers?
knight0fdragon

User avatar
Shining Hero
Shining Hero
 
Posts: 1191
Joined: Fri Nov 05 2004 5:36am
Location: Good ol(Not Really) Pennsylvania USA

Re: David's Classes Decision

Postby Tor_Heyerdal » Wed Apr 17 2019 6:36am

knightOfdragon wrote:We are dealing with a mideval style game here.... so bias is going to exist.

The fact that bias exists doesn't justify treating it as though it's not bias and pretending that things mean things that they don't mean.

knightOfdragon wrote:What exactly is he the Champion of?

Not the, but a champion of Medion's army. But it hardly matters, since apparently, they've already changed Penn's second class to Champion anyway. So it's an extremely moot point. But nevertheless...

knightOfdragon wrote:Who is rallying behind him? What is the competition in which he can become "champ"?

Being rallied behind and participating in competition are not necessary requirements to be a champion. Again, that's just your personal bias. Your personal bias doesn't actually dictate what a champion is. Although war is certainly quite the competition.

knightOfdragon wrote:...Is this a serious question? Yes, Wizards are not Mages, Vicars are not Priests, Heroes are not Swordsmen, Snipers are not Archers, Generals are not Soldiers, Presidents are not Citizens, Kings are not Peasants, Blastoise is not a Squirtle .... wait wrong game.

Dude... Are you for reals?
Mage: a person with magical powers.
Priest: (Relevant definition) a person who performs religious ceremonies and duties in a non-Christian religion.
Archer: a person who shoots with a bow and arrows, especially at a target for sport.
Swordsman: a man who fights with a sword (typically with his level of skill specified).
So you're honestly going to sit there with a straight face and tell me that Noon is NOT a person with magical powers? Promoted Grace is NOT a person who performs religious ceremonies and duties? Garosh is NOT a person who shoots with a bow and arrows? And promoted Synbios is NOT a man who fights with a sword? That is absolutely ridiculous. Nobody ever suggested that General promotes from Soldier (it promotes from Commander; interesting cherrypick to avoid the obvious fact that generals are people in positions of command), and there is no President, Citizen, King or Peasant class, so those are irrelevant strawmen. And Pokemon are even less relevant. But you're talking here as though promotion from Mage > Wizard is tantamount to one's entire being being transmogrified into a wholly different entity by directly comparing it to a Pokemon evolution like that. When you get promoted, you're still you. You still have all of the traits and skills that you possessed before. A title doesn't rewrite your entire existence, it adds to it. "I hereby declare thee... a hero!" "Oh, noes! I've suddenly forgotten how to use a sword! :0"

knightOfdragon wrote:I ask my question again, what is the competition in which he became Champion? Did all of the Chiefs of the area hold reindeer games and he is now Champion of Chiefs?

Again, you don't require competitive games to be a champion.
Champion: 1. a person who has defeated or surpassed all rivals in a competition, especially in sports.
^ Yes, this is one definition of champion. But so is this:
Champion: 2. a person who fights or argues for a cause or on behalf of someone else.
David is a person who fights for a cause. Technically, pretty much the entire Force could be classified as champions.
And again, regarding definition 1, "especially in sports" does not mean "exclusively in sports", and war is pretty damn competitive.

knightOfdragon wrote:I would think his title would then be Champion of Chiefs, and not mearly Champion.

Except not everyone on Medion's force are all chiefs, so that's absurd.
EDIT: I realize now that this was intended in context to the suggestion of that ridiculous "reindeer games" comment, so I'm just going to dismiss this as nonsense since such absurdity is not required for him to be called a champion for reasons that have already been addressed.

knightOfdragon wrote:Another good example of why I am against Chieftain is Rogan. He is the Govenor of Barrand, but Govenor is not anywhere in his class names.

Further supported by the fact that Isabella is the Princess of the Empire, but Princess is not anywhere in her--oh, wait... yeah, it is. Not every single character in the game is classed by the same metric, y'know.

knightOfdragon wrote:What concepts from SF3 weigh against his title of General?

The fact that he's never actually appointed with a title of general (class or otherwise). We can't just go making up new canon. It's plausible that he COULD be appointed with that title by someone like Medion, but it never actually happens, nor is it implied to happen. This has been discussed, so I guess you must've somehow missed that.

knightOfdragon wrote:Speaking of which, in Scenario 3, are the 4 generals unique in their classes, as in they hold a seperate location in the file that is addressed differently?

I'm not sure what you mean.

knightOfdragon wrote:As far as the class "Strider", that is usually given to somebody who travels great distances.

That's actually a really good point. I think that's true. I can't speak for anyone else, but I will absolutely take that as a valid disqualification of Strider.

My proposition of "Warden" still stands. In case that was missed too, I'll point out the definition again: a person responsible for the supervision of a particular place or thing or for ensuring that regulations associated with it are obeyed. In other words, David's exact role for his village without sounding so authoritative that literally anything under the sun can apparently only be perceived as a downgrade because Chieftain is the highest thing ever, apparently.
Creator of Shining Force III: 16-bit (WIP).
Tjelladallak våriiikeõdõtsyk jeissõ'eilamnikinõhõn. Ii'tuntoimjähädälläjät, niin miietsy iimpa'tyõhõnja.
Creator of Shining Force III: 16-bit (WIP).
Tjelladallak våriiikeõdõtsyk jeissõ'eilamnikinõhõn. Ii'tuntoimjähädälläjät, niin miietsy iimpa'tyõhõnja.
Tor_Heyerdal

User avatar
Shining Member
Shining Member
 
Posts: 352
Joined: Fri Jan 11 2013 4:18am
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: David's Classes Decision

Postby legalize freedom » Wed Apr 17 2019 12:37pm

Rogan, Edmund, Produn and Spiriel share all 3 class lines in the game files. David does not share any lines with them, but his given second promotion is the same (Commander). That is, the original Japanese release gives him a military title leading up to his role against the tank.

BTW, I wouldn't consider Rogan a governor. He is a general acting as the lord after an uprising/invasion. He uses it as a base and manages it, but I've never thought it to be his permanent home or position.

About David not being village chief, I believe the reason this was done is so he can freely leave Stump without looking like he abandoned his people and responsibilities. He essentially is the village chief... everyone looks to him as their leader, but he is not at a time in his life where he would take on such a role officially. He's free to pursue his higher calling. It is a problem for Chieftain as his class, but swap a couple of words in a couple of lines and it works just fine. Instead of the villager saying "he is kind of our leader", they would say something like "he's our acting Cheiftain". Really saying the same thing, just using the words that support the class.

Warden passes the smell test also. Warden is really good.
legalize freedom

User avatar
Shining Legend
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 1901
Joined: Sat Apr 29 2006 4:09am
Location: Texas, USA

Re: David's Classes Decision

Postby knight0fdragon » Wed Apr 17 2019 2:59pm

Tor_Heyerdal wrote:
knightOfdragon wrote:We are dealing with a medieval style game here.... so bias is going to exist.

The fact that bias exists doesn't justify treating it as though it's not bias and pretending that things mean things that they don't mean.


At no point is that happening. It however does not mean that you get to ignore the bias completely. The way words are defined in the game lean heavy on the bias.

Tor_Heyerdal wrote:
knightOfdragon wrote:What exactly is he the Champion of?

Not the, but a champion of Medion's army. But it hardly matters, since apparently, they've already changed Penn's second class to Champion anyway. So it's an extremely moot point. But nevertheless...



I would think Medion would be the champion of Medion's army

Tor_Heyerdal wrote:
knightOfdragon wrote:...Is this a serious question? Yes, Wizards are not Mages, Vicars are not Priests, Heroes are not Swordsmen, Snipers are not Archers, Generals are not Soldiers, Presidents are not Citizens, Kings are not Peasants, Blastoise is not a Squirtle .... wait wrong game.

Dude... Are you for reals?
Mage: a person with magical powers.
Priest: (Relevant definition) a person who performs religious ceremonies and duties in a non-Christian religion.
Archer: a person who shoots with a bow and arrows, especially at a target for sport.
Swordsman: a man who fights with a sword (typically with his level of skill specified).
So you're honestly going to sit there with a straight face and tell me that Noon is NOT a person with magical powers? Promoted Grace is NOT a person who performs religious ceremonies and duties? Garosh is NOT a person who shoots with a bow and arrows? And promoted Synbios is NOT a man who fights with a sword? That is absolutely ridiculous. Nobody ever suggested that General promotes from Soldier (it promotes from Commander; interesting cherrypick to avoid the obvious fact that generals are people in positions of command), and there is no President, Citizen, King or Peasant class, so those are irrelevant strawmen. And Pokemon are even less relevant. But you're talking here as though promotion from Mage > Wizard is tantamount to one's entire being being transmogrified into a wholly different entity by directly comparing it to a Pokemon evolution like that. When you get promoted, you're still you. You still have all of the traits and skills that you possessed before. A title doesn't rewrite your entire existence, it adds to it. "I hereby declare thee... a hero!" "Oh, noes! I've suddenly forgotten how to use a sword! :0"



You are now confusing class with something else here.

Just because a person can perform the actions of their previous class, does not mean they are that class. Class in Shining Force also holds the meaning of a Title, which is why we can promote. To call a person of a promoted class their less class name is demeaning, just like calling a person of a promoted title a lesser title is demeaning. You wouldn't call a store manager a cashier because he running a register. You wouldn't call a Software Architect a Developer because he is writing code. Also, each promotion title implies the previous abilities. We know a wizard can perform the duties of a mage. We know a hero can wield a sword. Do we know a champion is also a chieftain? No, because it is not a natural progression.


Tor_Heyerdal wrote:
knightOfdragon wrote:Who is rallying behind him? What is the competition in which he can become "champ"?


Being rallied behind and participating in competition are not necessary requirements to be a champion. Again, that's just your personal bias. Your personal bias doesn't actually dictate what a champion is. Although war is certainly quite the competition.

knightOfdragon wrote:I ask my question again, what is the competition in which he became Champion? Did all of the Chiefs of the area hold reindeer games and he is now Champion of Chiefs?

Again, you don't require competitive games to be a champion.
Champion: 1. a person who has defeated or surpassed all rivals in a competition, especially in sports.
^ Yes, this is one definition of champion. But so is this:
Champion: 2. a person who fights or argues for a cause or on behalf of someone else.
David is a person who fights for a cause. Technically, pretty much the entire Force could be classified as champions.
And again, regarding definition 1, "especially in sports" does not mean "exclusively in sports", and war is pretty damn competitive.




I lumped these two quotes together.
I stated both definitions of Champion and asked how it relates to David.
I asked who is rallying behind David? aka 2. a person who fights or argues for a cause or on behalf of someone else. Either the "cause" is rallying behind David, or a group of people is rallying behind David. This is not David, this is Medion, because Medion is the one fighting for the cause, and David comes along.
A real life example is Bernie Sanders is the Champion of universal health care. This is not because he is simply fighting for universal health care, it is because the "cause" believes in his vision of it, as opposed to others who are also fighting for universal health care.

I asked What is the competition in which he can become "champ"? aka 1. a person who has defeated or surpassed all rivals in a competition, especially in sports.
In the war scenario, the entire Force would be the champion, not David. David is not the guy who is taking out enemy battalions, this again falls on Medion. If not Medion, then the next likely champion would be Campbell as far as story is concerned, so we can throw out this definition as well.


Tor_Heyerdal wrote:
knightOfdragon wrote:Another good example of why I am against Chieftain is Rogan. He is the Governor of Barrand, but Governor is not anywhere in his class names.

Further supported by the fact that Isabella is the Princess of the Empire, but Princess is not anywhere in her--oh, wait... yeah, it is. Not every single character in the game is classed by the same metric, y'know.

Yeah.... you just proved my point with Isabella. She goes from Princess to Princess of Light or whatever new title she is given in the latest translation, She doesn't go from Princess to Priest

Tor_Heyerdal wrote:
knightOfdragon wrote:What concepts from SF3 weigh against his title of General?

The fact that he's never actually appointed with a title of general (class or otherwise). We can't just go making up new canon. It's plausible that he COULD be appointed with that title by someone like Medion, but it never actually happens, nor is it implied to happen. This has been discussed, so I guess you must've somehow missed that.


knightOfdragon wrote:Speaking of which, in Scenario 3, are the 4 generals unique in their classes, as in they hold a seperate location in the file that is addressed differently?

I'm not sure what you mean.

What do you think we are doing here exactly? We are literally establishing new canon for David because his class does not translate well. We are simply trying to keep it as close to existing canon as we can, which is why we have this pretty awesome debate going on. He has been given the title of Commander, LF confirmed this for us. Which is why I asked the question "do the Generals share the same address in the game file?". LF confirmed that they do, so now I agree that David should not be general in this regard since there is a very clear distinction.

Tor_Heyerdal wrote:My proposition of "Warden" still stands. In case that was missed too, I'll point out the definition again: a person responsible for the supervision of a particular place or thing or for ensuring that regulations associated with it are obeyed. In other words, David's exact role for his village without sounding so authoritative that literally anything under the sun can apparently only be perceived as a downgrade because Chieftain is the highest thing ever, apparently.


as for "Warden", I have two concerns. 1) We should keep the natural flow of promotion like I explained earlier, Warden to Commando would not make a lot of sense promotion wise, and 2) not a huge thing, but it gives the perceived notion that Stump Village is a prison based on this title LOL.


We really should keep David's social title off of the table and just stick to military titles only. This way he can be both acting leader of Stump village and a soldier in Medion's army without causing confusion. If we are to combine the social titles and military titles into a single title, then the promotions should reflect that, just like it does for Isabella.
knight0fdragon

User avatar
Shining Hero
Shining Hero
 
Posts: 1191
Joined: Fri Nov 05 2004 5:36am
Location: Good ol(Not Really) Pennsylvania USA

Re: David's Classes Decision

Postby legalize freedom » Wed Apr 17 2019 6:35pm

The devs have given unique class (or other types) slots to characters in other places only to use the same ones as others. I believe they did it when they weren't sure if they would be different or not and wanted to be safe until the decision was made. Otherwise, they could have used the same second class line as the generals for him. It's a clue into their thinking, but I don't think it should weigh too heavily on our decision. What's works best is most important.
legalize freedom

User avatar
Shining Legend
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 1901
Joined: Sat Apr 29 2006 4:09am
Location: Texas, USA

Re: David's Classes Decision

Postby DomingoRules! » Thu Apr 18 2019 3:59am

knight0fdragon wrote:If we are to combine the social titles and military titles into a single title, then the promotions should reflect that, just like it does for Isabella.

I do think going from Chieftain to Commander accomplishes exactly that. As he goes from being a leader of a village, to a leader of an army. Both are leadership roles that carry similar responsibilities, yet the latter takes that authority to the next level, while also suggesting combat experience. Sure, he's not in the same leadership position as Medion, but that doesn't take away how actively he involves himself in leadership responsibilities when it comes to voicing his opinion, not to mention (again) the battle against the Juggernaut. Just saying. Besides, all armies have things like captains, commanders, and so on, so just because he's not the main leader doesn't mean he can't be a leader. Just more of an auxiliary one, which he essentially is whether Medion knights him as such or not, because that's the role he applies to himself through his actions.

Or like how Slade goes from being a Thief, to being a Ninja. Aside from relying on stealth, they aren't remotely similar. One's a robber, the other's an assassin. It's simply taking the core element of a job that depends on stealth, and applies it to Slade's new role in which he goes from a wayward thief, to a (veritably so) military soldier that demands combat prowess. And likewise to David, who very possibly returns to watching over his home after the game, I'm sure Slade returned to being a thief regardless of now being a ninja; albeit a wiser thief who deeply considers the consequences of the items he steals before doing so.
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
DomingoRules!

User avatar
Shining Legend
Shining Legend
 
Posts: 1846
Joined: Tue Feb 17 2009 5:50am

PreviousNext

Return to SFIII Translation Project

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest