Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force III SFIII Translation Project
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

David's Classes

A place for those working on the Shining Force III Translation Patch.

Re: David's Classes

Postby legalize freedom » Sun Mar 10 2019 4:05pm

There have been two additional potential classes mentioned.

Battler
This should definitely be included for consideration. Defined as an underdog of sorts.

Brawler
A good class name, but doesn't quite fit David. Defined as a boisterous melee fighter.

The point of Ranger not fitting has been well taken. Removing Ranger from David's classes would keep in line with having Ranger be only for centaur archers and could be Justin's unseen starting class. This would be in line with the rest of the series. That is not to say we need to decide that way, but it does tilt the scales. I'm certainly warming to the non-Ranger options, but the options are robust either way.

I think we can go with Commando as the final class. It's mainly the first two that are in question, but I will include an interesting option with Striker as the final.

Options with Ranger

Ranger
Striker
Commando

Fighter
Ranger
Commando

Battler
Ranger
Commando

Ranger
Battler
Commando

Options without Ranger

Fighter
Striker
Commando

Fighter
Battler
Commando

Battler
Striker
Commando

Fighter
Battler
Striker

Thoughts or suggestions? I'd like to pare this down to around 3 options as to not water down the vote.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Swalchy » Mon Mar 11 2019 12:21am

I like the option of:

Fighter
Striker
Commando

Fits well methinks.
The Way To Yahuweh
Dead Sea Scroll Images
Latest Update Post

Salibu: 20/08/10 wrote:You have all been Swalched.

Damn I've been here a long f*cking time...
The Way To Yahuweh
Dead Sea Scroll Images
Latest Update Post

Salibu: 20/08/10 wrote:You have all been Swalched.

Damn I've been here a long f*cking time...
Swalchy

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby knight0fdragon » Mon Mar 11 2019 2:00am

Swalchy wrote:I like the option of:

Fighter
Striker
Commando

Fits well methinks.

Motion is seconded
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Medion » Thu Mar 14 2019 11:37am

Swalchy wrote:I like the option of:

Fighter
Striker
Commando

Fits well methinks.

I also vote for this one :thumbsup:
Medion

Postby Stordarth » Thu Mar 14 2019 11:59am

I'm not a fan of fighter in this context, and also find ranger odd given sf rangers in the past.

I propose:

Striker
Skirmisher
Commando

Code: Select all
Dice Codes
Attack/Marked Target: /roll 8d100
Damage Variance (Rebels): /roll d26 [Everyone.]
Damage Variance (Emissaries): /roll d24 [Assassins with Katana], /roll d21 [MXC, TUM with Blade], /roll d26 [Any other case.]
Magic: /roll d26
Status Effects: /roll d100
Level-Ups (No MP): /roll 4d11
Level-Ups (Has MP): /roll 5d11

---
SFCW-A: Durandar
Sunken Castle: Fintan Kahn

Code: Select all
Dice Codes
Attack/Marked Target: /roll 8d100
Damage Variance (Rebels): /roll d26 [Everyone.]
Damage Variance (Emissaries): /roll d24 [Assassins with Katana], /roll d21 [MXC, TUM with Blade], /roll d26 [Any other case.]
Magic: /roll d26
Status Effects: /roll d100
Level-Ups (No MP): /roll 4d11
Level-Ups (Has MP): /roll 5d11

---
SFCW-A: Durandar
Sunken Castle: Fintan Kahn
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby legalize freedom » Wed Mar 20 2019 12:39pm

Skirmisher is a good class name, but I'm not fond of the length. It's as long or longer than Commando, which is already too long. It legally fits, but makes the bar oddly long in that part of the game. It will work much better as the final promotion when all the bars are really long from HP.

Maybe I should have proposed Cocksman...
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby knight0fdragon » Wed Mar 20 2019 6:17pm

Was Bombarder ever mentioned?
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby legalize freedom » Wed Mar 20 2019 6:32pm

No, I trust you mean bombardier. Again, pretty long and implies explosives.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby knight0fdragon » Fri Mar 22 2019 2:40pm

No, a bombarder, not a bombardier, as in a person who bombards
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby legalize freedom » Sat Mar 23 2019 2:30pm

What about Huntsman?

Suggested by the LPer Let's Play Like We're Elite.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Hattari » Mon Mar 25 2019 12:21am

Honestly, I think Ranger works just fine for David's first class. I don't think the species of a single character from a separate game (May) is substantial reason to make that distinction.

It's also more descriptive and accurate than something like Fighter, as it clearly hints to the player that he's capable of using ranged weapons specifically and exclusively. Also, just as May was the only character of her type in SF2, David is one of a kind in SF3, so in that sense, it's fitting that they shared that title.

That's just my two cents. Personally, I'd vote for keeping his jobs the same as they literally were in the Japanese release, but that's just me. Since it sounds like they're going to be changed regardless, I do think Striker-Commando works well as tier2-tier3.
Hattari

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby legalize freedom » Mon Mar 25 2019 6:26pm

Hattari wrote:Honestly, I think Ranger works just fine for David's first class. I don't think the species of a single character from a separate game (May) is substantial reason to make that distinction.

It's also more descriptive and accurate than something like Fighter, as it clearly hints to the player that he's capable of using ranged weapons specifically and exclusively. Also, just as May was the only character of her type in SF2, David is one of a kind in SF3, so in that sense, it's fitting that they shared that title.

That's just my two cents. Personally, I'd vote for keeping his jobs the same as they literally were in the Japanese release, but that's just me. Since it sounds like they're going to be changed regardless, I do think Striker-Commando works well as tier2-tier3.

Thanks for your input!

It's not just a single character. Earlier in this thread...

Interesting. It looks like they've used Ranger / Bow Knight for the centaur archers, maybe better described as shell users or artillery while the humanoid races use the standard Archer / Sniper classes.

May in SF2 as well as Stock and Graham in SFCD. Lyle from SF1 also would fall into this category, but his official classes were Assault Knight and Strike Knight. So that gives us some more info to draw from.

I understand wanting to keep something exactly like it was in Japanese, but there is a certain amount of judgment and decision making involved. Can you imagine the obstacle course between the Japanese class and Commando? You have to decide on the closest match in a lot of cases and focus on the intent. And frankly, some words (classes in this case) are more intense than others. If a starting class came out as Super Ninja and the next class came out as Hobbit, you would rightly consider swapping the two. ;)
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Hattari » Mon Mar 25 2019 8:47pm

legalize freedom wrote:You have to decide on the closest match in a lot of cases and focus on the intent. And frankly, some words (classes in this case) are more intense than others. If a starting class came out as Super Ninja and the next class came out as Hobbit, you would rightly consider swapping the two. ;)

I understand where you're coming from there, but I don't think we're dealing with anything close to that kind of a leap here. I do acknowledge that some titles and classifications don't crossover well verbatim between languages; I'm just not convinced this is one of those cases. I was wrong about May being the only centaur ranger, but I did read the entire thread. For some reason I mistakenly remembered the SFCD characters being called bow knights, but that's not true, so please disregard that point. The others still stand! :p
Hattari

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Nuburan » Mon Mar 25 2019 11:38pm

Is it too late to suggest "scout," for its connotations of mobility and light weaponry?
Nuburan

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby legalize freedom » Tue Mar 26 2019 1:09am

Hattari wrote:I understand where you're coming from there, but I don't think we're dealing with anything close to that kind of a leap here. I do acknowledge that some titles and classifications don't crossover well verbatim between languages; I'm just not convinced this is one of those cases.

Thank you for prodding me to do a little more research.

What we know as Commando translated as Commander. We didn't use Commander for David because all of the General characters (Rogan, Edmund, Produn, Spiriel) use it as their second promotion. They all literally share class name lines. David does not, however and doesn't share any other classes with them.

So Commando was a logical result of that problem. But Commando is perceived far more intense (or cool if you will) than Commander or even Striker so the order doesn't feel right. Add that to the length of his bar at that point in the game and it adds up to a change.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby knight0fdragon » Tue Mar 26 2019 1:41am

I definitely like Huntsman, or even hunter, since a javelin, dagger, and hatchet would be expected from this type of person.
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Hattari » Tue Mar 26 2019 10:32pm

legalize freedom wrote:What we know as Commando translated as Commander. We didn't use Commander for David because all of the General characters (Rogan, Edmund, Produn, Spiriel) use it as their second promotion. They all literally share class name lines. David does not, however and doesn't share any other classes with them.

So Commando was a logical result of that problem. But Commando is perceived far more intense (or cool if you will) than Commander or even Striker so the order doesn't feel right. Add that to the length of his bar at that point in the game and it adds up to a change.

That's a perfect example of what I was implying would be a reasonable change; in fact, the original katakana could easily be read as Commando as-is.

Nuburan wrote:Is it too late to suggest "scout," for its connotations of mobility and light weaponry?

I support this suggestion. It's certainly more fitting than fighter.

knight0fdragon wrote:I definitely like Huntsman, or even hunter, since a javelin, dagger, and hatchet would be expected from this type of person.

I think hunter works better than huntsman.
Hattari

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby legalize freedom » Fri Mar 29 2019 6:23pm

There seems to be enough support for Hunter to add to the poll.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby nicbongo » Thu Jul 04 2019 7:54pm

Alright,

so my two cents:

Considering he's an elf, and you find him in a forest village trying to protect someone, I think something like this is appropriate:

Ranger--> Guardian --> Warden

I don't like the commando/fighter terms so much as it has more human connotations.

Thoughts?
nicbongo

PreviousNext

Return to SFIII Translation Project