Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force III SFIII Translation Project
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Galm's Red Text Decision

A place for those working on the Shining Force III Translation Patch.

What colour do you prefer for Galm's dialog text?

Keep as Red
57%
Change back to White
43%

Total votes : 7

Galm's Red Text Decision

Postby legalize freedom » Sat Jun 30 2018 7:00pm

Continuing the discussion from the Galm's Red Text thread, let's figure out if we want to keep it or not.

Here is the latest LP that is a good representation of the red text and how it looks (at least with the default window colour).
https://youtu.be/0_KeWDpfzTg?t=36m10s

Should we keep the red text or change it back to white? I would offer more options, but the other available colours don't show up well with all possible backgrounds, so it should probably be either red or white.

I'll let this run for 4 months, which is the time I would need to know to make the possible change for V20.

Thanks for your input!
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: Galm's Red Text Decision

Postby Pappets » Sat Jun 30 2018 9:30pm

Isn't this idea a little off track? What I mean is that it goes beyond the translation. But yes, it looks nice.
The vandals took over Sega but someday the innovators will come again and reclaim the throne!
The vandals took over Sega but someday the innovators will come again and reclaim the throne!
Pappets

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Kalkano » Sat Jun 30 2018 10:28pm

That's the first time I've seen it, but I like it. I think it should look different than everyone else's.
Currently re-playing: Shining Force 3: Scenario 3

Shining Force 3: Chronology (YouTube Series Here)

"Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No hidden meanings. No hidden agendas. As honesty and integrity characterize our lives there will be no need to manipulate others."
Currently re-playing: Shining Force 3: Scenario 3

Shining Force 3: Chronology (YouTube Series Here)

"Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No hidden meanings. No hidden agendas. As honesty and integrity characterize our lives there will be no need to manipulate others."
Kalkano

Shining Commander
Shining Hero

Postby DomingoRules! » Sat Jun 30 2018 11:27pm

Regardless of the outcome, I definitely have to respect your care to make sure the color works no matter the background.
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Chinagonuk » Sun Jul 01 2018 9:08am

Despite the fact that it was I who initially started the discussion, saying that I wasn’t a huge fan of the red text, I have decided to vote in favour of keeping the red text.

When I first witnesed the new colour, it was on a very light blue background with 0 transparency. I think this made it look more blurry than it would with the default settings. Having Galm use a different colour to everyone else certainly adds to his character and further increases his cool factor. LF has ensured me that, out of all the possible colours, red seems to be the best looking choice and I believe him. Also red is a nice choice, given Galm’s powerful, evil aura.
Chinagonuk

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby knight0fdragon » Sun Jul 01 2018 4:26pm

Still do not like it. I can see changing the text to a dark gray when his face is not present to give the text a better tone, but once he is established, it should go back to white. Also, Galm is not evil, and to reflect as such only goes against what Galm truly stands for.
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby DomingoRules! » Mon Jul 02 2018 4:24am

I think it's less about making him seem evil, and more about making him stand out as significant, which the game already does naturally with the rainbow text used for his name; this sounds like it's just simply expanding on that. The specific color choice sounds like it was nothing more than a coincidence of circumstance.
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby betterinthepast » Tue Aug 28 2018 12:53am

Ahh, please don't experiment with this, the best interaction in the game.

One of the reasons Galm is my favourite character is he is such an enigma, and his motivations unknown. Largely the shadowy figure in the background, pulling strings. Red text is like having a big neon arrow pointing at him. The mystique is gone. Is it necessary? In fact, I even think the flashing name alone was overkill. When Galm shows up, the screen darkens, and he has his own unique, awesome theme tune. And all the Bulzome priests shit their pants. I think all of this is enough of a signal that this character is important (not to mention the fact that Julian doesn't shut up about him).

It's also kind of a spoiler, because when you see the first line of red text you instantly know it's Galm, rather than the slow build up and payoff when he finally materialises.

Besides this though, if the text is not red in the original Japanese, and if the Japanese language itself does not have some important flavour which cannot be translated into English without changing the font colour, then is this change in the spirit of how the original story writers intended this interaction to unfold? I guess I agree with Pappets here in that this seems like a fundamental change to the narrative direction of this scene, as opposed to being a translation.

By the way, long-term fan of SF3 since release. I played the other scenarios with printed scripts years back, and this is my first go with the patches. Would like to applaud all the work of the translation team for making this possible. During my playthroughs if I happen to note any bugs or weirdness it'd be an honour to point it out and make the smallest of contributions!

Postby legalize freedom » Tue Sep 04 2018 12:56pm

Thank you for explaining this so clearly. I'm warm to this argument. I've certainly come to understand that those who like the red text could live peacefully without it while those that don't like it tend to see it as a travesty. :) That would definitely come into play if the vote were to remain close.

In the English release of Sc1, Galm's initial line of text is light grey, so that's probably what got the wheels turning initially. Grey is used in the rest of the game to indicate whispering, so this instance was out of place. It's difficult to guess exactly what they had in mind with this.

Anyone who has not voted, please do so.

Thank you for the kind words and yes, please report any errors you find. That would be most appreciated!
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Return to SFIII Translation Project