SFIII Translation Project: Galm's Red Text

A place for those working on the Shining Force III Translation Patch.

Moderator: Shining Moderators

Chinagonuk
Shining Member
Shining Member

Galm's Red Text

Post by Chinagonuk »

Personally i'm not a fan of the newly added red text that is used for Galm's dialogue in the latest patch. It could just be my TV but i find the text rather blurry or unsharp and more difficult to read than some of the other colours. I havn't yet tested it on my crt using my Saturn hardware, only on SSF through my TV.

But on the plus side i find the colour changing text used for his name very cool lol

I've uploaded a pic but the quality is low as i can't upload big files.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: Galm's Red Text

Post by legalize freedom »

It is a little more difficult to read, but it really depends on what colour your background is.

I wanted to give him coloured text, but finding a colour that works with all the backgrounds was difficult. I experimented with all reasonable options...

The red is a bold move, but it seemed appropriately sinister looking and certainly makes the encounter more impactful. I probably wouldn't have done it if he had more lines, but he's really only in a couple of scenes.
Chinagonuk
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Chinagonuk »

I understand. I actually, totally forgot that i was using a different colour blue in this screenshot, so it might look better with the standard dark blue. I often change the background colour for each scenario when I play, just so it feels like a different game each time.
DomingoRules!
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by DomingoRules! »

Is implementing impact really worth it though if doing so can inconvenient the player? Even if the color can add character to the dialogue, I feel like whenever something is harder to read, one can become more self-aware that they're reading text rather than experiencing dialogue due to the increased effort disrupting a smooth flow, which can wind up hurting immersion. At least that's how I feel, but I'm not sure if others are the same.

Keep in mind that these two cents are coming from somebody who hasn't played the latest patch, so I can't judge the quality of the text myself if it is indeed a new addition. I'm just going purely on what's been posted here.
Check out, and perhaps buy my book here: https://a.co/d/2AIkbwd

Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by legalize freedom »

That's part of what needs to be considered here and truthfully, I'm gauging the reaction to it before making the final decision and that will continue to happen over time. I have seen positive reactions as well. In fact, I think this thread is the first negative reaction I've seen. Granted the sample size isn't large as of yet.

If I didn't think it was worth it, I wouldn't have put it in, because there was a bit of effort to hunt down all his lines and test different colours.

Its a work in progress so by all means experience it for yourself or in the many LPs out there and give your opinion. It is appreciated!
knight0fdragon
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by knight0fdragon »

Personally not a fan of colored text. Color should be used to make a word more bold and noticable. Entire dialogs in different colors may cause a strain on peoples eyes. Anybody remember the mess that was AIM lol
DomingoRules!
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by DomingoRules! »

legalize freedom wrote:That's part of what needs to be considered here and truthfully, I'm gauging the reaction to it before making the final decision and that will continue to happen over time. I have seen positive reactions as well. In fact, I think this thread is the first negative reaction I've seen. Granted the sample size isn't large as of yet.

If I didn't think it was worth it, I wouldn't have put it in, because there was a bit of effort to hunt down all his lines and test different colours.

Its a work in progress so by all means experience it for yourself or in the many LPs out there and give your opinion. It is appreciated!
I would, but unfortunately it's going to be some time before I play the game again. The entire game (by which I mean all three scenarios) is way too huge to just pick up and play on a whim, and I usually have enough difficulty as is justifying revisiting previously beaten games that are only 20 hours. By time I do revisit it, you'll probably have already made your final decision.

Of course, I'm not trying to belittle the effort that went into making the change. Although I've never done any rom hacking before, I have been an on-and-off user of RPG Maker ever since the PS1 title, so I know full well how much effort can go into something that looks to the player like it would've only taken five minutes.
Check out, and perhaps buy my book here: https://a.co/d/2AIkbwd

Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737