Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force III SFIII Translation Project
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Not-so silent protagonists?

A place for those working on the Shining Force III Translation Patch.

Not-so silent protagonists?

Postby ARandomPlayer » Sat Mar 03 2018 5:39pm

So, I just very recently started playing Shining Force 3 after a few recommendations using the translation patch (along with a few minor hiccups on the process) and so far, I'm quite enjoying myself. Kudos to all the translation team, hugely appreciated!

Well, a minor complaint not towards the translation but the game in general is that I was never a fan of the "Silent Protagonist" trope. Exemplified in this game by the fact that said protagonists talks in the other scenarios! It just feels out of place for me. They may supposed to be the player's surrogate, but I like playing as heroes with their own personality.

I saw a thread discussing the possibility of an alternate patch where Synbios, Medion, and Julian will communicate using actual words instead of ellipsis in their respective scenarios and I'm quite fond of the idea. Unfortunately said thread was dated more than 10 years ago, and the "alternate patch" never came to fruition as far as I can tell...

So, in conclusion. It's 2018, the translation is pretty much done, is there any interest on a patch where the the protagonists speak?
ARandomPlayer

Re: Not-so silent protagonists?

Postby legalize freedom » Mon Mar 05 2018 6:48pm

Yes.

When the proper patch is done or at least at a point where I am waiting on a volunteer translator to finish the review, I will indeed create such a monster. Once such a patch exists, every change will need to be made in both patches, so the wise thing to do is to get everything complete in the patch before attempting to maintain two versions.

In the meantime, a volunteer could help with some preliminary work, thereby accelerating the effort. ;)
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby ARandomPlayer » Mon Mar 05 2018 7:17pm

Amazing. I would love to help, but I'm still halfway through the first scenario so uh... yeah xD. Regardless, I wish you and the team the best of luck, and I'll try to offer my help as soon as I finish all 3 scenarios, assuming you'll need it by then, or at all xD

Also, you're awesome! Cheers
ARandomPlayer

Postby legalize freedom » Tue Mar 06 2018 12:15am

If it is spoilers you're worried about, preliminary work can happen per scenario. So when you finish Sc1, you could theoretically help without being spoiled of the other scenarios.

It might not be too bad either for the volunteer's part, whether you or another shining fan reading this. First thing that needs to be done is to identify and document all the lines where the hero "speaks". Mainly documentation since you can search all the files with Notepad+ and get a list. This first task will also clue us in to how much effort we are looking at, that is, how many lines in game will need to be altered.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby ARandomPlayer » Tue Mar 06 2018 4:37pm

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showt ... genumber=1

Unfortunately, I can't offer my efforts right now, but here's the next best thing! I found a thread about an LP of the whole game with the dialogue (as far as I can tell) faithfully transcripted. Along with lines from the protagonist, though I'm not sure about the basis for those. Hope it help!
ARandomPlayer

Postby knight0fdragon » Tue Mar 06 2018 5:50pm

They are using our work lol
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby legalize freedom » Tue Mar 06 2018 7:35pm

That is an impressive amount of effort to produce that written LP with exposition.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Neutral » Sun Mar 11 2018 12:07pm

legalize freedom wrote:Yes.

When the proper patch is done or at least at a point where I am waiting on a volunteer translator to finish the review, I will indeed create such a monster. Once such a patch exists, every change will need to be made in both patches, so the wise thing to do is to get everything complete in the patch before attempting to maintain two versions.

In the meantime, a volunteer could help with some preliminary work, thereby accelerating the effort. ;)

That's awesome, I'm about to beat Scenario 3 for the first time ever (Hero's test then the boss!) and it would have definitely improved my Scen1/2 seeing full dialogue the whole time
Neutral

Return to SFIII Translation Project