Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force III SFIII Translation Project
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Not sure if it's a bug...

New v19 Playthrough

A place for those working on the Shining Force III Translation Patch.

Not sure if it's a bug...

Postby Prodigal Innovator » Sat Jan 20 2018 7:37pm

Hey guys long time SF3 player and forgetter of old forum user name! Checked out SFC the other day and saw that v19 was available and decided it was time for another playthrough. My 5 year old daughter loves watching me play SF3!

So I completed a v16 playthrough a good while back and it was great, Scenario 3 had it's bugs here and there, but for the most part the dialog made sense and the gameplay was flawless to my memory.

Now I've started v19 and man I just CANNOT seem to hit Soulmate between Synbios & Masqurin. Most other times I've played the game I'm sporting floating hearts before I even leave Saraband (play first battle to the point that my starting 4 are all level 5). It takes some dedication to start out this way but the increased friendship bonuses are great and it gives me a chance to concentrate solely on the new pickups for a while (Hayward, Obright, Irene & Julian).

I'm now going into Chapter 3 of Scenario 1 (Vandal Mansion) and both Synbios and Masqurin are sitting at Level 9, he has 79 kills, she has 58. Neither has ever died, friendship level has been Trusted since before I got Hayward! They've pounded a ton of monsters together, what is the deal?

Re: Not sure if it's a bug...

Postby Swalchy » Sun Jan 21 2018 9:55pm

The SF3 project files have no bearing on anything other than the text and/or certain images, so the inability to soulmate will be down to the game itself.

If you want, change to the Japanese version of SF3 Scenario 1, and attack some enemies with Mas/Syn - they'll be soulmated before you know it.

For some reason, the Japanese version of Scenario 1 is the easiest one to get soulmates with. I have no idea what they did for the USA/Pal print of Scenario 1, but it just seems to be harder to get soulmates with them.

I've powerlevelled a lot to get soulmates, so have tried and tested the above many times :)
The Way To Yahuweh
Dead Sea Scroll Images
Latest Update Post

Salibu: 20/08/10 wrote:You have all been Swalched.

Damn I've been here a long f*cking time...
The Way To Yahuweh
Dead Sea Scroll Images
Latest Update Post

Salibu: 20/08/10 wrote:You have all been Swalched.

Damn I've been here a long f*cking time...
Swalchy

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: Not sure if it's a bug...

Postby Chinagonuk » Mon Jan 22 2018 5:20am

In case you’re not entirely familiar with the friendship system mechanics, this guide is probably the best out there.

https://www.gamefaqs.com/saturn/198623- ... faqs/58847

I believe the RNG behaviour to be strange, meaning i don’t believe the random chance of hitting soulmate to have the same chance each time. Sometimes i feel like the odds are about 1 in 5. Other times it’s more like 1 in 50.

If playing on an emulator what i sometimes do is get to 45 friendship points then cheat by using the Save File Editor to make soulmate.
Chinagonuk

Shining Member
Shining Member

Return to SFIII Translation Project