Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force III SFIII Translation Project
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

"If you paid for this, you got scammed !"

A possible countermeasure.against SF3 translation resellers ?

A place for those working on the Shining Force III Translation Patch.

"If you paid for this, you got scammed !"

Postby Wiz » Mon Dec 04 2017 8:31pm

On the slack SFC chat, MXC and Alpha were talking about greedy people selling patched and packaged versions of SFIII translated scenarios, making profit on your fabulous work and also putting it in a bit of danger, considering how SEGA could react negatively.

I'm myself a bit worried about seeing this phenomenon happen on MD Shining Force hacks/builds at some point, especially with a possible Final Conflict remake project in a near future.

So I think I could be planning to put a mandatory SFC intro screen with a message explaining the nature of such fan projects, and ending like "If you paid for this, you got scammed !".
With any SF2DISASM build being forced to include this intro screen, well, that would be better than nothing ! :)

So MXC suggested me to share this idea with you guys, legalizefreedom and knight0fdragon !
However, I have no idea of the technical feasibility with current SFIII hacking means ... inserting an intro screen before the title screen could be quite hard, but maybe a tiny insertion on the bottom of the title screen could work ?

Just a tiny suggestion for future releases.

In any case, THANK YOU SO MUCH for managing this project for so long with such dedication and quality standards, this is truly inspiring for my own long-term motivation on my SF2 projects !
Wiz

Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: "If you paid for this, you got scammed !"

Postby alex_man » Tue Dec 05 2017 1:11am

well people should search on the web first instead of buying something lol, like music,movies or VIDEOGAMES :)
alex_man

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby legalize freedom » Tue Dec 05 2017 1:07pm

Thanks for the concern and suggestion, Wiz, but I don't see this as a big concern for us (or you for that matter).

We do a pretty good job of identifying and getting those things taken down. People are generally very receptive to requests.

I personally am turned off by sullying the art with the disclaimer, but if you decided to do it, I'd phrase it positively. Something like "Always provided free at (yourwebsite).com". No need to insult your audience.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby knight0fdragon » Wed Dec 06 2017 4:08am

Besides, how much are they really profiting from it. Very few people play Saturn games, the fan base is not large at all, and almost anyone who is into this game by now has found out the translations exists, I mean. it has been what , 15 years?
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby DomingoRules! » Sat Dec 09 2017 5:08am

knight0fdragon wrote:Besides, how much are they really profiting from it. Very few people play Saturn games, the fan base is not large at all, and almost anyone who is into this game by now has found out the translations exists, I mean. it has been what , 15 years?

Heck, probably about 90% of the Saturn's fanbase is already in Japan, and they don't need the translation. :p
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Return to SFIII Translation Project