Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force III SFIII Translation Project
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

SF3Patch getting Flagged as Suspected Virus

A place for those working on the Shining Force III Translation Patch.

SF3Patch getting Flagged as Suspected Virus

Postby legalize freedom » Mon Nov 27 2017 1:56pm

It appears the SF3Patch.exe package is triggering false positives in virus detection. There was a report on the official site comments and I can verify this is happening currently with avg. It seems like this has happened before, but not for a while that I know of. Doing a quick search, it is a longstanding issue with self-extracting archives (SFX archives). The issue is not only with downloading, but also running the flagged file.

I use WinRAR to create the patch archive, but I don't consider myself all that knowledgeable about the process or what options may exist. I'm hoping folks smarter than I can offer suggestions to remedy this situation.

I like the extra slickness and presentation of having an "install" file as opposed to a simple zip archive. Until such time as a proper solution can be found, I have and will be including a SF3Patch.zip option on the FTP.

Currently, I see the workarounds as follows:
1. Disable virus program. Download and install as usual. Re-enable virus protection.
2. Download the zip option and "install" manually. That is to say unzip it.

It's never a good idea to disable your virus protection to download and/or run an .exe from the internet, so I won't ask anyone to do that who isn't comfortable with it. That said, the file scans as clean while on my computer. It's only when it is downloaded that it flags.

Suggestions please!
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: SF3Patch getting Flagged as Suspected Virus

Postby alex_man » Tue Nov 28 2017 1:34am

use malware bytes or other than avg or avast
alex_man

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby legalize freedom » Tue Nov 28 2017 1:21pm

Thanks for the suggestion, but there are a couple of issues with that.
1. I'm not going to attempt to tell people which virus software to use.
2. Malware bytes and AVG (for example) are not exactly used for the same purpose.

However, I am hearing from your comment that the problem may lie with only AVG and Avast. It's pretty easy to tell from a quick search that those two are affected, but I don't know about the other hundred brands...
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby alex_man » Wed Nov 29 2017 3:01am

Sometimes it happends but is what is called a false positive, try with other brands like avira,norton or other if happends then is the program if not is avast and avg cuz they are from the same company :thumbsup: :)
alex_man

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Return to SFIII Translation Project