Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force III SFIII Translation Project
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Robot Eye Issue and Awesome

Spoilers!

A place for those working on the Shining Force III Translation Patch.

Robot Eye Issue and Awesome

Postby legalize freedom » Sat Sep 02 2017 1:38pm

I found something that doesn't appear to be working correctly and something awesome that I bet not everyone is aware of.

In Sc2 Battle 16, the one where you meet Hera and save the villagers, the one villager holding the Robot Eye is giving me a problem. First of all, the save editor will not kill him. He is the young man and is "Villager 1" in the save editor (verified all the others so he is 1 by elimination). The check box doesn't toggle him. I would guess it is an issue with the editor, but I suppose it could be something weird with the game (due to the issue below). So that's unfortunate, but I just played through again and had him killed to get that save, not that big of a deal.

The bigger issue is that regardless of whether he's saved or not, the same line fires. There are two lines at the end of the cutscene with the Village Chief. One, for if the Young Man was saved, says I gave the Robot Eye to the young man you saved... The other:

~8-235~ ~Young Man killed~ Village Chief:
I gave it to the young man who was killed by those Bulzome monks. Perhaps, you can find it around the place he was slain.

I can't get this line to fire. This means I will need to make the one that does fire cover both eventualities. I will attach the save (not hook library) with the Young Man having been killed. He is normally in the house east of the well with his wife. The cutscene happens in the Village Chief's large house between the shop and the town entrance. The line is at the end of that cutscene. If anyone wants to see for themselves.

Does anyone ever remember this line? Can anyone get it to fire?

So now for the awesome. While trying to get this line to fire, I took the clue from it and sure enough I was able to find the Robot Eye outside town on the battlefield where the Young Man was killed. So you can get Robby regardless of whether you save this villager.

This is going to be a lot of info to pack into one line...

Thoughts or suggestions?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by legalize freedom on Fri Sep 15 2017 11:50am, edited 2 times in total.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: Robot Eye Issue and Awesome

Postby knight0fdragon » Sat Sep 02 2017 6:50pm

Did you try in on a non translated version of the game?
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby legalize freedom » Mon Sep 04 2017 2:17pm

knight0fdragon wrote:Did you try in on a non translated version of the game?

I have not, but I don't believe there is a connection. While the patch has from time to time caused freezing (due to game file size) and graphical glitches (due to blank lines), I don't believe it would be causing one line to fire over another. In truth, most of the issues stemming from the patch itself have been file size related. Now with the new compressor that is no longer an issue.

Let's suppose we did test it and it was working correctly without the patch. First, whoa, that's weird, but ultimately what could be done about it? I would still end up editing the one line to work with the patch.

The one thing I believe could be related is the weirdness with Hera and Villager 1 while using the save editor. As reported Villager 1 can't be toggled with the editor. I can confirm that Hera can't be toggled either. Not sure what to make of it, but it's quite possibly related. Either way it would appear to be hard coded. I don't believe the editor itself is to blame since this happens without any editing.

I would like for others to verify this is happening whether emulating or on a Saturn (would like to get verification on both), so I can get this fixed accordingly.

To be clear, in Sc2 battle 16, allow the Young Man with the Robot Eye to be killed (no one else matters), finish the battle then go to the Village Chief's house in Elbesem for the cutscene. At the end of the cutscene, he will tell you who he gave the Robot Eye too and speak of the Young Man as if you had saved him.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby knight0fdragon » Mon Sep 04 2017 11:57pm

If the original works correctly, but the translation doesn't, then it is possible a secret character(text) is getting inserted in one of the text fields prior to it that is causing it to corrupt the branching of the text.
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby legalize freedom » Tue Sep 05 2017 12:22pm

I can't get the line to fire in either the original Japanese or the diagnostic (page and line numbers) versions.

So at least from my saves it isn't working. I'm going to proceed with making the one line fit both outcomes until proven otherwise.

I would like to verify this in at least one other emulated game as well as on Saturn hardware. If anyone is starting Sc2 Ch4, please contact me.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: Robot Eye Issue and Awesome - Updated!

Postby knight0fdragon » Fri Sep 15 2017 3:31am

I think I am going to play though this game again lol. Oh man I may have to unretire my machine I used for hacking the game lol
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby legalize freedom » Wed Sep 20 2017 12:55pm

Thankfully there are two lines that can be used for this. The last line of the cutscene just wishes the hero well, so I was able to get the other half of the story to fit there.

Here's what I came up with:

~8-233~ David:
What about the jewel? Where can we find the Robot Eye?

~8-234~ Village Chief:
I gave it to one of the villagers in hopes he could activate Robby. The young man amongst the fleeing villagers in that terrible battle... He lives in the house next to the church. I hope he's safe.

~8-235~ ~Doesn't Work/Not Used - Young Man was killed~ Village Chief:

~8-236~ ~End of Cutscene 25~ Village Chief:
In the tragic event the poor boy wasn't able to escape, you may be able to find the Robot Eye on the battlefield where those heretics struck him down. I'll pray for your success, Prince Medion...

Comments? Suggestions?
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Chinagonuk » Wed Sep 20 2017 8:44pm

legalize freedom wrote:~8-236~ ~End of Cutscene 25~ Village Chief:
In the tragic event the poor boy wasn't able to escape, you may be able to find the Robot Eye on the battlefield where those heretics struck him down. I'll pray for your success, Prince Medion...

Comments? Suggestions?

"Where those heretics struck him down" doesn't really work, as in your version of events, the chief does not know what happened. Unfortunately though, this is the part that gives the player the all important clue as to where to find the Robot Eye. It's tricky.

I wonder if you could perhaps change a different character's dialogue to give the clue. Someone who may have witnessed the battle. Or would that not work in the case of Villager 1 surviving?
Chinagonuk

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby legalize freedom » Thu Sep 21 2017 12:23pm

The village chief and others were watching the battle from the village. He says as much right after the battle when he comes out and tells them he now trusts them and encourages them to rest in the village, as the captive Gracia hasn't arrived yet.

However, I have suggested, for the purposes of giving the info, that he did not see what happened to the young man specifically. I agree this phrase is the most contentious part because the village chief assumes that if the young man isn't safe, he was struck down by the monks. It may be too much to consider for the average player and many may not get what is being implied. We could probably re-word to something like "where you last saw him".

I wouldn't want to split any other person's dialog like this if I can help it. This is the cutscene and this is where it needs to happen.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Return to SFIII Translation Project