SFIII Translation Project: help with patching scenario 3

A place for those working on the Shining Force III Translation Patch.

Moderator: Shining Moderators

bleu7384

help with patching scenario 3

Post by bleu7384 »

Hello

I have all 3 scenarios in Japanese and I played through them on an emulator as they were a number of years ago.
I have just completed scenario 1 again so I thought I would actually try and patch scenarios 2 and 3 this time.
I have successfully patched scenario 2 and I have mounted the cue file via Daemon tools so that it plays on SSF.
So I thought I would try Scenario 3 while it was fresh on my mind, it started to patch the file, but about 3/4 of the way through my computer gave me a error message, I tried it again and the same thing happened, the third time my computer said straight away 'Unable to copy over all files from CD'

Is this something anyone has had a problem with before? is it possibly to do with memory on my computer.
I'm not too fused as I have to play through scenario 2 first and I will play through the 3rd scenario in Japanese again if need be, but its just a shame as I got scenario 2 up and running...

Any help would be appreciated, i'm not too tech savvy so if it involves me changing loads of files I will leave it, but if it sounds like an easy fix i'll give it a go.

Cheers

(I've tried scenario 2 since I wrote this, its has Medion's saved as his Japenese name!, i'm guessing everyone I've named in scenario 1 will be like this but i'll have to wait n see, its just nice having some English text though)
Swalchy
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: help with patching scenario 3

Post by Swalchy »

Hi bleu - have you tried running the Patcher as an administrator? Right click the programme - run as administrator should do the trick.

If you want, using your original Scenario 3 CD, you should be able to create an ISO of it or a CUE + BIN, which should hopefully do a full clone of the disc with no issue. You can them mount this in Daemon Tools, and use the Patcher to create a patched Scenario 3 from that.

Let us know if you're still having issues/need something above explained in a bit more detail :)
Salibu: 20/08/10 wrote:You have all been Swalched.
Damn I've been here a long f*cking time...

Mensa Member
IQ 137
Not bragging; just making you dumb-asses aware. :evilgrin:
bleu7384

Post by bleu7384 »

Hi Swalchy

Thank you for the quick response

I will try this when i get home from work.

The only thing is when i patched scenario 2, i done the same process as i done for scenario 3

I run the Patcher, it detected the original disk in my harddrive, and i went through the process of patching , it then created the cue +bin file,which i then mounted via Deamon tools , was this the wrong way round of doing it?, scenario 2 seemed to run fine apart from carrying through Medion's Japanese name!

Anyway i will try to run as an administrator when i get home.

I will let you know, Cheers
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by legalize freedom »

Be sure you unmount everything in that directory before patching. You'll need to move your "base game" iso somewhere else if you are mounting to patch.

Delete the SF3Track2.bin file. If that file is being locked by a virtual drive, the patch won't work.
bleu7384

Post by bleu7384 »

Hello

Success!!

I tried to patch it again as an administrator and it failed again, so I deleted the original patch I downloaded and re-extracted it again, then went to patch scenario 3( I ran as an administrator straight away) and Boom, Done.

Cannot wait to play through these 2 scenarios in English. Just wanna give a thumbs up to everyone that worked on the project.

Cheers for the advice Swalchy and Legalize Freedom

Onward!

(just one more thing I've thought off, if you need me to I will start another topic, where I have transferred over the data from Japanese scenario 1 to 2, its transferred Medion's name as his Japanese name, is this something that can be fixed?)
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Glad to hear you got it working.

Yes, you can use the save editor to change names.

In truth, you should have patch scenario 1 as well. You missed a lot, particularly the true ending. You could patch scenario 1 and then load a save from before the end of the last battle and get most of it from the ending cutscenes.
bleu7384

Post by bleu7384 »

I was under the impression you could not patch the Japanese version of Scenario 1
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

bleu7384 wrote:I was under the impression you could not patch the Japanese version of Scenario 1
That is correct. You need to patch the English version of Sc1.

You can just watch the end of one of the LPs in this case.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpHIrfF ... p5FXbg-GVz
bleu7384

Post by bleu7384 »

Oh Ok

Thank you for the link
Moondog
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Moondog »

i have one question

i just got pseudo Saturn and want to play the other 2 scenarios in english, but have now sold my PAL copy of SF3. do you really have to patch these games via the original discs? surely an ISO or bin/cue of the disc image would work.

also surely there's pre-patched versions out there online, to burn straight to disc too.
PSN ID - Moondog954

Platinum Trophy #72 - Blacksad: Under the Skin
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Note Option 2 works with a virtual drive.
http://sf3trans.shiningforcecentral.com ... tructions/

You can also burn the unpatched image to disc to use with either option. Once you have a disc, you can continue to use it to apply the latest patch.

Downloading pre-patched images is not the way to go. In fact, we do our best to ensure none of these exist out there. If you follow the project properly, you'll always have the latest official version.
Moondog
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Moondog »

legalize freedom wrote:Note Option 2 works with a virtual drive.
http://sf3trans.shiningforcecentral.com ... tructions/

You can also burn the unpatched image to disc to use with either option. Once you have a disc, you can continue to use it to apply the latest patch.

Downloading pre-patched images is not the way to go. In fact, we do our best to ensure none of these exist out there. If you follow the project properly, you'll always have the latest official version.
but how does that work? how can you apply a patch to a CD that has already been burned?
PSN ID - Moondog954

legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

You use it just like it was an original disc and that creates a new patched image which you can then either emulate or burn to play in the Saturn.
Moondog
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Moondog »

so in other words you need to burn a fresh disc everytime it gets updated?
PSN ID - Moondog954

legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Yes, if you intend to play on Saturn hardware, but updates are exactly once a year in December.
Moondog
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Moondog »

That's not too bad then, I thought updates would be sporadic.
PSN ID - Moondog954