SFIII Translation Project: Produn/Edmund Storyline (Spoilers!)

A place for those working on the Shining Force III Translation Patch.

Moderator: Shining Moderators

legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Produn/Edmund Storyline (Spoilers!)

Post by legalize freedom »

After researching Edmund and Produn with Garzel, Brutus and Rogan being involved as well I believe I have the Edmund and Produn storylines ironed out. In approximate chronological order:

In the Republic camp, Edmund is in Saraband for the peace conference. Edmund offers his army as a decoy to distract the Imperials while Benetram can escape Saraband.

In the Imperial camp, Garzel offers his army to battle the Edmund army. He shows an unusual desire to engage Edmund. After the battles have begun, Yasha informs Arrawnt that Garzel is battling Edmund. This is probably where they collaborate after battling one another with the Bulzome Sect as instigators and mediators.

Produn is stationed in Railhead.

Rogan is stationed in Barrand with the Seagate.

At the end of Sc1 battle 8 / Sc2 battle 5, Medion sets off for Barrand to meet up with Rogan to use the Seagate to pursue the Bulzome kidnappers.

In Railhead (Sc2), Produn isn’t there as expected because his army had been ambushed by the Garzel army and pursued them east.

Before Sc2 battle 6, Produn and Garzel battle outside Anafect. Garzel was to be reinforced by the Spiriel army, but when she arrived, Basanda showed up and Garzel joined forces with her to surround the Spiriel army. Spiriel was captured and Garzel and Bulzome forces headed north, ignoring the remainder of the Produn army. The battle was apparently staged in order to draw Spiriel in and capture her so she could be used to destroy the Elbesem Statue.

Produn is in Anafect in Sc2 battle 6 and takes the boat.
(Stella spared) They know Medion is heading to Barrand, so they head that way as well, to look for a way to repay his kindness.

Edmund left Justin in Vagabond sometime before Sc1 battle 14

Before Sc2 battle 9, the villagers in Rhineside say that Edmund left with Garzel, but much of the Edmund army left later. These are the flanking troops that appear in Sc1 battle 15.

Edmund allies with Imperial General Garzel at the waterfall near the guardian statue and goes over the cliff during Sc1 battle 15 / Sc2 battle 10. These are the same waters that Julian was tossed into only an hour or so before.

Edmund is saved by Galm. Edmund is aware of this, but only mentions it once directly and once indirectly. Given his shifting allegiances he is understandably wary of letting this be widely known.
It is also assumed Galm saved Julian (without Julian's knowledge while he was unconscious).

(Stella killed) Edmund makes his way to Barrand, meets with Rogan to further inform him of what is going on in Elbesem and boards the Seagate with Rogan. Rogan and Barrand in general are already aware of the trouble in Elbesem, so it can be assumed Edmund shared some details that spurred Rogan to action. It's not clear if he learned these details from his time coordinating with Garzel and the Bulzome Sect or from Galm.

(Stella spared) Edmund makes his way to Barrand, is noticed by Produn and boards Produn's boat. They are chased but not caught by Rogan and the Seagate. Produn believes he is repaying Medion's good will by saving Edmund from the Rogan army and delivering him to safety. They make their way to Baersol where Produn is involved in Sc3 battle 11 and Edmund meets up with and coordinates with Brutus.

Rogan appears at the Elbesem Temple after battle 18. He heard of the situation and rushed to help.
(Stella killed) He was late because he had to fight off an attack by the Bulzome Sect.
(Stella spared) He was late because he was chasing a suspicious Republican boat, which was Produn picking up and fleeing with Edmund.

Rogan hears Saraband is heading to headland and wants to follow it. Rogan shows up outside Saraband and joins as an NPC in Sc2 battles 23, 24, 25 and 26.

The Medion army sails with Rogan on the Seagate for Sc2 battles 19 and 20. Rogan gets locked in the Executor after Sc2 battle 20.

(Stella killed) Edmund leaves the Seagate with Bresby, Gracia, Julian and Donhort after Sc2 battle 20 to start the Sc3 force.

Brutus orders Produn to guard Baersol before he leaves with his army. He specifically instructs Produn not to let the Julian army pass.

In Sc3 battle 11, Produn is a boss.
(Stella killed) Produn will be out-right hostile and will not join. The Julian army kills him.
(Stella spared) Produn and Stella are under orders from Brutus to stop the Julian army but have a change of heart. The masked monk forces Produn to battle, but you can spare him and have him join.

Brutus appears to be conspiring with Bulzome and changed after a visit from a Bulzome monk. The hero finds his wife and son locked in his wine cellar in Baersol.

(Stella spared) Outside Baersol, Brutus and Edmund are seen. Brutus heads north towards Aspia while Edmund stays behind with an army to delay the Julian army, who battles and kills Edmund in Sc3 battle 12.

Brutus is the boss of Sc3 battle 13 and is killed by the Julian army.
Last edited by legalize freedom on Fri Aug 04 2017 6:18pm, edited 3 times in total.
Swalchy
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: Produn/Edmund Storyline (Spoilers!)

Post by Swalchy »

*le bump*
Salibu: 20/08/10 wrote:You have all been Swalched.
Damn I've been here a long f*cking time...

Mensa Member
IQ 137
Not bragging; just making you dumb-asses aware. :evilgrin:
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

See original post
Last edited by legalize freedom on Fri Aug 04 2017 12:13pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carandor

Post by Carandor »

I always assumed the ship that picks up Edmund is the one Produn was on.
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Thank you for the post! I thought I was going to have to beg another bump from Swalchy...

Yes, you are correct! I will update the original post with my findings.
Heldane

Post by Heldane »

Hello there.

I just got to the final battle against Edmund in Scenario 3 and I read on another site that you can actually spare him, even though you can't make him join you.

Is that possible?

I killed every other enemy in this battle but it didn't end. Also, there's no option to talk to him.
alex_man
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by alex_man »

yes with the boneidol's program save editor
Brina

Post by Brina »

Sorry for "unearthing" this topic, but I have the impression that it was Jane, and not Galm that saved Julian from the rapids! :confused: I know Galm would've his motives in doing so, but due to the relationship between Julian and Jane, I've a feeling that it was her. Can anyone please share their thoughts on this?
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Brina wrote:Sorry for "unearthing" this topic, but I have the impression that it was Jane, and not Galm that saved Julian from the rapids! :confused: I know Galm would've his motives in doing so, but due to the relationship between Julian and Jane, I've a feeling that it was her. Can anyone please share their thoughts on this?
It's certainly one theory, although I'm not sure Julian and Jane was a thing at that time. I don't believe it is spelled out either way. He may also have simply washed up.

Maybe they both made sure he was ultimately safe with one or both not needing to do anything since the other took care of it. They would be rivals by proxy.
knight0fdragon
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by knight0fdragon »

Julian was saved by somebody, because he awoken far off the riverbed. Who saved him as far as I know is unknown, but this is the time right after Galm saved the Medion army from Dessheren.
Brina

Post by Brina »

I guess that Galm could've done it, but maybe (and now I'm really stretching it) he wouldn't do it so he could see if Julian would be able to survive and therefore be part of Jumesyn (that is why is a stretch, because the 3 heroes have been tested and "pushed" by Galm just like in STHA). If Jane was involved in saving Julian, that means she would've saved the 3 of them as well, and perhaps that was when she started developing feelings for Julian. Perhaps I'm vouching for Jane just... because!
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

I'm betting against Jane the more I think about it. I don't believe there is anything that points to her here.

That part of the story (her saving the heroes) is told over and over after this. While Galm's part in the story is already pretty small. Saving Julian is/would be a critical plot point for him and his overall plan. Just from a writer's perspective, it doesn't make sense to have this be Jane saving him yet again.
Brina

Post by Brina »

I had the same train of thought in the past that Galm was/is responsible for saving Julian, and I like your "writer's perspective" about it. As I mentioned, I thought Jane's role would be more like Galm's as they're both "working in the shadows". I just disagree with his role being small - he set things in motion at least 10 years before the events in SF3 when he killed Julian's father - and didn't stop until Bulzome's death!
RetroZanon

Post by RetroZanon »

Personally, I lean more towards Galm being the one who does it. Galm already seemed to know the secret to JuMeSyn / JuMSy before hand, so it is possible he was "interfering" in Bulzome's plans for his own amusement or purely because he just didn't like him. I believe that after Scenario 3 ends, you get that little cutscene in the end between Galm and Elize.

"Elize: Well done, Galm.
Galm: What are you talking about?
Elize: Quit acting innocent.
Galm: ...
Elize: To eliminate the eyesore Bulzome, you guided that Enrich boy's fate onto the track you laid. You even aided the Expedition, didn't you?
Galm: If I say that's true, what are you really trying to say?
Elize: You really are the most powerful, the most vicious, Vandal of all Vandals."

Personally, I believe this would be a somewhat accurate timeline for the events:

In Scenario 1 he "saves" Synbios' army by simply terrorizing Basanda. Which is at the time where Julian enjoys some fresh water, not willingly though. Galm vanishes immediately afterwards, which could potentially hint at him immediately going after Julian to save him, before heading towards Stump Village to aid Medion.

In Scenario 2 he "saves" Medion's army by doing the same thing, this time against Dessheren. He does go away after that. It is possible he was aware of Julian's whereabouts. But considering Julian wakes up upon being spotted, my guess is that Galm "helped" Julian to the shore just after throwing him into the waterfall, before meeting with Medion - which would give him time to gain his senses, instead of him being rescued and immediately waking up after being attacked by "The Strongest of all Vandals", at point blank, with no Elbesem Statue to hinder his powers. At that point, I believe Galm could've easily killed Julian if he wanted to.

In Scenario 3, I believe the reason Jane becomes more prevalent is due to the fact Galm does not want Julian to lose track of his mission - which is crucial for Galm's "plan" to work the way he intended. If he revealed himself, Julian would most certainly want to drop everything to have yet another go at him which could jeopardize his plan.
Brina

Post by Brina »

That is a very thorough train of thought, RetroZanon! I agree with what you said. I guess that, because at the end of STHA neither Galm nor Elise "predicted" one of the spirits would remain, and that hooked me in a good way: even though Galm is a "puppet master" of sorts, there is always the element of chance. He knew Julian would've wanted revenge for his father, but might not have guessed he would storm like he did near the waterfalls. By letting "fate" save Julian (or as I mentioned Jane), would've been another way to check if his plans (Galm's) were in schedule. Afterall, Jumsy was required all along, yet only Galm knew but could not interfere directly. Anyways, it is nice to see all the points of view coming from different players!
knight0fdragon
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by knight0fdragon »

It could have been Elise who actually saves him and drags him onto the riverbed while the Medion army is providing Galm an alibi.
Brina

Post by Brina »

knight0fdragon wrote:It could have been Elise who actually saves him and drags him onto the riverbed while the Medion army is providing Galm an alibi.
Hahahaha, now you're REALLY messing with my head... It never occurred to me because I always saw her as a "voyeur" type of person/vandal, and so posh that wouldn't even bother meddling in anything.
RetroZanon

Post by RetroZanon »

There is also a chance that we might end up knowing what happened exactly in the official timeline if it is, indeed, mentioned in the official book that's been posted here.
I for one am super curious to read through that properly instead of using a dodgy visual translator.
Brina

Post by Brina »

RetroZanon wrote:There is also a chance that we might end up knowing what happened exactly in the official timeline if it is, indeed, mentioned in the official book that's been posted here.
I for one am super curious to read through that properly instead of using a dodgy visual translator.
I believe we're all waiting for that... and that's about to happen soon!