Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force III SFIII Translation Project
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Misc Feedback

A place for those working on the Shining Force III Translation Patch.

Misc Feedback

Postby legalize freedom » Fri Aug 12 2016 12:49pm

I'll be posting several items in this thread that I believe I have solutions for, but want to give everyone a chance to give feedback and let me know if I've missed anything.

Succumb, the friendship bonus, has always been kind of ambiguous. I hear it works as critical defense, but I want to verify that. Also, does this have anything to do with the luck stat?
I would like to change this to something that explains the bonus clearly, such as Crit Def.

Penn Beak is also used by Pendolf in Sc3, so I plan to rename this to Penguin Beak. That will fall in line with the other animal weapons (Unicorn Horn and Dragon Talon).

The penguin special Penguin Spit has never made sense. Nothing is spit. It is a power generation and a head butt. So I plan to rename this to Penguin Butt. It also has the advantage of comedy relief.

I heard one of the LP'ers call the Freeze Ball by different names and I realized there may be a better option. Freeze Drop would seem to work since it is a one use item. Freeze Orb sounds good, but I'm afraid orb implies it is a permanent item like an accessory. I'd like to hear opinions and suggestions.

More to come...
Last edited by legalize freedom on Mon Aug 22 2016 12:00pm, edited 1 time in total.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: Misc Feedback

Postby Chinagonuk » Fri Aug 12 2016 4:28pm

legalize freedom wrote:Succumb, the friendship bonus, has always been kind of ambiguous. I hear it works as critical defense, but I want to verify that. Also, does this have anything to do with the luck stat?
I would like to change this to something that explains the bonus clearly, such as Crit Def.

Succumb reduces the enemy's crit rate, whereas the luck stat only reduces the enemy's chances of a status ailment taking effect so the two are not actually related.

The word 'succumb' is rather ambiguous, however 'Crit Def' is a little inaccurate in my opinion. The text box for friendship descriptions gives you plenty of room for text. (For example Grace's would say "Increases Magic Resistance and Luck").

Instead of "Increases Succumb", you could perhaps have "Decreases Enemy Crit".
Chinagonuk

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Special T » Sun Aug 14 2016 8:05pm

So the Freeze Ball casts Freeze level 2 and can be used to create temporarily ice bridges. Personally, I like the sound of Freeze Orb although I understand your hesitation of using that name.

These are my suggestions in order of preference:

Freeze Orb > Frozen Tear > Ice Ball > Freeze Ball
Special T

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Bulzome » Sun Aug 14 2016 8:46pm

I like "Ice Charm". That's what I've been using. To me, it kind of looks like a coin. Although, any of the suggested names will work. Also, "Penguin Beak" and "Penguin Butt" fit nicely.
I succumbed only to the power of Elbesem

I'm HUNGRY! Can I have a burrito?

It's MY turn to shoot the penguins. DADDY!

YouTube Stuff

PSN: Vandolf

YouTube Stuff

Bulzome

~The Master of Evil~
Shining Member

Postby legalize freedom » Sun Aug 28 2016 5:26pm

I've found a couple of misnamed Specials.

Check the LP at the first link below. In the final battle of Sc2 General Tybalt does a "Tail Bomb" attack, which is obviously wrong. Problem is, there is only one Tail Bomb entry in the Sc2 files. I'm certain wyverns do Tail Bomb attacks, but I don't see any evidence of that in Sc2. Only the Sc1 Wyverns appear to do Tail Bomb.

There is a special listed on the guide sites called "Hellfire Blade" (I'd probably shorten it to simply Hellfire) that appears to fit this attack. And there is no entry called Hellfire in the Sc2 files.

I want to verify there is no Tail Bomb in Sc2 and I'll change this attack to "Hellfire".

Check the second link below in the same battle to see Tybalt do a "Breath Geyser" attack (got really lucky to see them both here). This appears to be the "Ice Fog Blade" special listed on the guide sites. There is only one entry for Breath Geyser, so I will need to verify that isn't used anywhere in Sc2 then we can decide what to call this one. Something like "Ice Storm" may work. I'll check on the translations for both in the mean time.

https://youtu.be/0Y1-h45cSvQ?t=52m

https://youtu.be/0Y1-h45cSvQ?t=55m50s
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Carandor » Fri Sep 02 2016 1:04pm

I think you're looking at the wrong definition of spit.

noun
1. a pointed rod or bar for thrusting through and holding meat that is to be cooked before or over a fire.
2. any of various rods, pins, or the like used for particular purposes.
3. a narrow point of land projecting into the water.
4. a long, narrow shoal extending from the shore.

verb (used with object), spitted, spitting.
5. to pierce, stab, or transfix, as with a spit; impale on something sharp.
6. to thrust a spit into or through.

In this case, it would be #5.
Carandor

Postby knight0fdragon » Fri Sep 02 2016 1:36pm

The move does not involve a blade of any kind
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby legalize freedom » Fri Sep 02 2016 5:59pm

Carandor wrote:I think you're looking at the wrong definition of spit.

noun
1. a pointed rod or bar for thrusting through and holding meat that is to be cooked before or over a fire.
2. any of various rods, pins, or the like used for particular purposes.
3. a narrow point of land projecting into the water.
4. a long, narrow shoal extending from the shore.

verb (used with object), spitted, spitting.
5. to pierce, stab, or transfix, as with a spit; impale on something sharp.
6. to thrust a spit into or through.

In this case, it would be #5.

That may well have been where the translation originated from. As in the beak as the sharp object.

Even so, I don't believe it works very well in English.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Special T » Sat Sep 24 2016 8:40pm

Bump
Special T

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby legalize freedom » Sat Sep 24 2016 10:10pm

Regarding Tybalt's special attacks

The translations shed some light on what these should be, but there are still options I would like to get opinions on.

The ice attack translates literally to silver frost blade. This is a bit too long to be used as is, but I think Frost Blade works well.
https://youtu.be/0Y1-h45cSvQ?t=55m50s

The fire attack translates literally to prison fire/flame blade. I think either Flame Prison or Flame Blade would work. I suppose Fire Prison and Fire Blade work as well. I think this may come down to how much we care that Blade is in both since the animation does appear to imprison with fire. Flame Prison does seem to fit the animation better.
https://youtu.be/0Y1-h45cSvQ?t=52m
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Special T » Wed Sep 28 2016 7:07pm

My preference would be Frost Blade and Flame Prison.
Special T

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby frynmeli » Sun Oct 02 2016 1:38pm

Heya, I came across an SFIII walkthrough printout while clearing out my old textbooks and just had to come back here for a look. I'm really glad to see the project still moving forward. Cheers and many thanks to the team!

Chinagonuk wrote:Instead of "Increases Succumb", you could perhaps have "Decreases Enemy Crit".

This sounds great to me, and so does Freeze Orb. I'm okay with Pen Spit and Pen Butt, but the direct translation Pen Kick would probably work too.

I Googled Tybalt's special attacks and ended up with 獄炎剣 and 氷霧剣, which are literally Hell Flame Sword and Ice Fog Sword. '獄' does mean prison but is also short for '地獄' or Hell, the prison in the ground. I like both names and vote we stick to them. Since Tybalt uses a blade, though, perhaps Hellfire Blade and Ice Fog Blade have a nicer ring to them.
frynmeli

Postby Bulzome » Wed Oct 12 2016 12:45am

legalize freedom wrote:I've found a couple of misnamed Specials.

Check the LP at the first link below. In the final battle of Sc2 General Tybalt does a "Tail Bomb" attack, which is obviously wrong. Problem is, there is only one Tail Bomb entry in the Sc2 files. I'm certain wyverns do Tail Bomb attacks, but I don't see any evidence of that in Sc2. Only the Sc1 Wyverns appear to do Tail Bomb.

There is a special listed on the guide sites called "Hellfire Blade" (I'd probably shorten it to simply Hellfire) that appears to fit this attack. And there is no entry called Hellfire in the Sc2 files.

I want to verify there is no Tail Bomb in Sc2 and I'll change this attack to "Hellfire".

I just played through Scenario 2 and none of the Wyverns did the Tail Bomb. They did however, do the Fire Breath. I'm not sure if the Wyverns actually do any other specials, but they didn't on my recent playthrough.

Also, for Tybalt, I'm a fan of Hellfire and Frost Blade.

YouTube Stuff

YouTube Stuff

Bulzome

~The Master of Evil~
Shining Member

Return to SFIII Translation Project