Sc3 Ninja Names

PostPosted: Sat May 28 2016 4:31pm
by legalize freedom
In battle 13 of Sc3 there are 3 types of ninja. One is a sword user, one is a magic user, and one is a star user. They are also conveniently different colours. They are currently all just called Ninja.

I would like to hear suggestions about how to enhance their names. The easy suggestion is just to include their colours in their names. The standard ninja can remain as is.
Ninja
Purple Ninja (magic)
Green Ninja (star)

Suggestions?

Re: Sc3 Ninja Names

PostPosted: Sat May 28 2016 7:34pm
by Swalchy
Could possibly think of using the Japanese names for the certain Ninja:

Mahou Ninja (Purple Ninja that uses Magic); or possibly Majutsu (Black Magic) instead of Mahou.

Then obviously Shuriken Ninja for the Green Ninja.

Those'd be my suggestions, but have no issue going with the colours. Just seems a bit simple going with the colours, though they do have "Blue Dragon" and "Green Dragon" in Scenario 3 anyway heh.

PostPosted: Sun May 29 2016 4:01am
by knight0fdragon
How about Alvin, Simon, and Theodore

PostPosted: Sun May 29 2016 5:54pm
by alex_man
Glad you remember my post Legalize in the Spanish project we did like that Blue,Purple and Green ninja but in Spanish is Ninja azul,verde and purpura :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun May 29 2016 11:46pm
by SaCred
I vote for all 3 ninjas

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01 2016 1:45pm
by Special T
Ninja could just be "Ninja" or "Shinobi"

Green Ninja (star) could be "Shuriken Ninja" like Swalchy mentioned

Purple Ninja (magic) is more difficult to come up with a good name... I used google translate on a few Japanese words to try and come up with something but nothing I could think of seems to click.

Majo Ninja (Majo = witch)
Majutsu-shi Ninja (Majutsu-shi = conjurer)
Shōkan Ninja (Shōkan = summoner)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02 2016 8:31am
by Century
Ninja magic is based on hand signs derived from Buddhism. For a really good (but, obviously, utterly make-believe) example, the film American Ninja has tons of it. This, for example:

These hand-signs are essentially utilised in meditation, and are called Kuji in.

So something based off that word might be the most appropriate.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02 2016 12:17pm
by legalize freedom
Century wrote:Ninja magic is based on hand signs derived from Buddhism. For a really good (but, obviously, utterly make-believe) example, the film American Ninja has tons of it. This, for example:

These hand-signs are essentially utilised in meditation, and are called Kuji in.

So something based off that word might be the most appropriate.

Great suggestion! Better yet, the words of the symbols themselves that have individual meanings. These are particularly attractive because of the short lengths as well.

I particularly like:

Rin - come; to face; strength
Could be used for the standard ninja

Kai - the whole effect or group; sensing danger
Could be used for magic ninja or maybe the star ninja, but people may immediately think of the fish

Jin - formation; in position; prepared; mind reading
Could be used for the star ninja

Zai - to appear or reveal yourself; control of the elements
Could be used for the magic ninja

Rin Ninja
Jin Ninja
Zai Ninja

How do these sound?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02 2016 12:33pm
by Swalchy
Sounds good to me :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02 2016 6:30pm
by alex_man
Alright but explain that when you post the new version :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03 2016 7:24pm
by boogieman
What kind of magic does the purple ninja use? He could be called Trickster Ninja. Rune Ninja (may be confusing with Rune Nights).

As for Green Ninja, what about Verdant Ninja?

You could also go with gemstones, Amethyst Ninja, Emerald Ninja, Jade Ninja (Jade sounds damn good IMO)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03 2016 10:27pm
by Cybel
Although these names are a little more evocative, in gameplay terms, the names are just to keep track of the different players in the battle. In this respect, I think Green and Purple has the benefit of clarity.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04 2016 12:05am
by boogieman
Cybel wrote:Although these names are a little more evocative, in gameplay terms, the names are just to keep track of the different players in the battle. In this respect, I think Green and Purple has the benefit of clarity.

There is something to be said about clarity, and as was said, the dragons are named similarly.

Personally I like Jade Ninja as it kind of makes me think of things from the Orient, and the color green.

Purple is often used in pixel art as a replacement for black since it reads better. Purple/magic ninja could even be something like Dusk Ninja, Shadow Ninja ;) or anything really.

Purple is also traditionally a color of royalty or leadership due to its scarcity. Perhaps that could lead to a descriptor, "High Ninja"?

I think the regular Ninja should either be called simply "Ninja." I don't know if it fits the theme, but Ronin are masterless Samurai, and would probably be "weaker" or less skilled than a Ninja. Maybe the plain Ninja could even be called "Ronin". I'm really just kind of throwing ideas out at this point.