SFIII Translation Project: New SF3 Patcher beta

A place for those working on the Shining Force III Translation Patch.

Moderator: Shining Moderators

cww80

Re: New SF3 Patcher beta

Post by cww80 »

EricLegacy21 wrote:I have been getting the same issue with it freezing at 60%. Mkisofs is where it stalls on as well.

Also I don't know much about the emulation and Mkisofs but is the file from 2005? I did some research and people are saying to change it to 2009 if that helps?

http://www.sarducd.it/forum/english-for ... t1927.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a different program but uses Mkisofs.

*EDIT* I GOT IT! Here's what I did:

I moved the LICENSE, README, SF3TranslationPatch.exe, SF3TranslationPatch.sln, SF3TranslationPatch.suo, and SF3TranslationPatch.v12.suo files into the SF3TranslationPatch folder.

I downloaded and installed this: https://sourceforge.net/projects/cdrtoo ... p_redirect" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I went to the Program Files folder, cdrtools folder, and copied the following files:

cygiconv-2.dll
cygintl-8.dll
cygwin1.dll
mkisofs.exe

Open the SF3TranslationPatch.exe file so it creates the Data folder and close out.

I pasted those files into the Data and Resource folders for the patcher and replaced any files there. Started the patcher and it worked! I have Windows 10 Build 10586 :) The game patched successfully! I played it for about 20mins in SSF and no issues :D

The only issue I found if you don't do it exactly this way, you'll get a Patching Header error and the program crashes.
Brilliant, it works. Thanks!
knight0fdragon
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by knight0fdragon »

EricLegacy21 wrote:I have been getting the same issue with it freezing at 60%. Mkisofs is where it stalls on as well.

Also I don't know much about the emulation and Mkisofs but is the file from 2005? I did some research and people are saying to change it to 2009 if that helps?

http://www.sarducd.it/forum/english-for ... t1927.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I moved the LICENSE, README, SF3TranslationPatch.exe, SF3TranslationPatch.sln, SF3TranslationPatch.suo, and SF3TranslationPatch.v12.suo files into the SF3TranslationPatch folder.

I downloaded and installed this: https://sourceforge.net/projects/cdrtoo ... p_redirect" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I went to the Program Files folder, cdrtools folder, and copied the following files:

cygiconv-2.dll
cygintl-8.dll
cygwin1.dll
mkisofs.exe

Open the SF3TranslationPatch.exe file so it creates the Data folder and close out.

I pasted those files into the Data and Resource folders for the patcher and replaced any files there. Started the patcher and it worked! I have Windows 10 Build 10586 :) The game patched successfully! I played it for about 20mins in SSF and no issues :D

The only issue I found if you don't do it exactly this way, you'll get a Patching Header error and the program crashes.

Can you post the files somewhere? I wanna package them without having CDRTools installed to make sure I dont hit any problems
EricLegacy21
Hero of the Shining Light
Shining Member

Post by EricLegacy21 »

I compressed them into a .rar file.

You can download it here: http://www.filedropper.com/cdrtools" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :thumbsup:
Special T
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Special T »

K0D, do you want me to hold off on testing EricLegacy21's work around and just test the next iteration of your patcher, that way I don't have any residual files downloaded from other software?
knight0fdragon
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by knight0fdragon »

Doesn't matter to me lol. My next iteration won't be out for a few days if not weeks
Formedras

Post by Formedras »

I've got a problem with the patcher: Scenario 1 doesn't work at all. I clicked on "Patch", put in the filename, and the patcher gives me an error saying that the patch files don't exist.

I was actually about to type and post before I realized: maybe it's JUST Scenario 1. So I tried it with Scenario 2, and it works. Well, recognition works at least. MKISOFS died on me.

I'll try using another MKISOFS binary. Maybe GTK+, maybe Cygwin. Hopefully that works.

Oh, by the way, in case it caused the problems, I'm on Win10 Insider Preview in the Fast Ring, build 14295. ASUS laptop with a Core i7 4700HQ and GeForce GTX 850M. 16 GB RAM (Stock 8GB stick and aftermarket 8GB stick). Also (even more likely, since you said there's no support for this) I'm using Daemon Tools Lite with a BIN/CUE set.
Formedras

Post by Formedras »

Not sure if this is going to show up before or after my first post, so quick summary:
Scenario I Japanese doesn't work: says files not found.
Scenario II identifies, but MKISOFS dies. (Froze my computer so dead that I had to hold power to shut the system off. Not even a BSOD.)

So now...
Decided to try with a different MKISOFS. I chose the tools from this site: http://opensourcepack.blogspot.com/p/cdrtools.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MinGW-based (which I meant to say instead of GTK+...) Didn't work. At least it errored out instead of taking every CPU cycle. I'm guessing that that version either doesn't have BIN/CUE support or that the necessary options are different.

Took a different tack: Looked through the source code to see what was causing the Scenario I error. For whatever reason, you chose to add a 'j' to the path for a Japanese Scenario I. Since no folder ending in 'j' exists, of course it was going to fail. (I don't know... did you mean to do that? Does the NTSC-J Scenario I fail to patch at all?)

Now I'm going to do some heavy meddling; I may "improve" the source code overall. (Note my use of quotation marks.)
Special T
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Special T »

knight0fdragon wrote:Doesn't matter to me lol. My next iteration won't be out for a few days if not weeks
Any news on a newer version of the patcher?
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by legalize freedom »

Special T wrote: Any news on a newer version of the patcher?
If you tried the old one first it may have left the bad temp files noted in the troubleshooting section. Be sure those are deleted after every failed attempt.

http://sf3trans.shiningforcecentral.com ... structions
knight0fdragon
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by knight0fdragon »

legalize freedom wrote:
If you tried the old one first it may have left the bad temp files noted in the troubleshooting section. Be sure those are deleted after every failed attempt.

Sorry, real busy time at work, won't be able to get back into this till after May

legalize freedom wrote:

IIRC I delete the directory contents before starting a new patch, will have to check the code to verify though.

...nevermind if you are referring to the data files, yes you need to delete them if you have the new version where the old version was
Formedras wrote:Not sure if this is going to show up before or after my first post, so quick summary:
Scenario I Japanese doesn't work: says files not found.
Scenario II identifies, but MKISOFS dies. (Froze my computer so dead that I had to hold power to shut the system off. Not even a BSOD.)

So now...
Decided to try with a different MKISOFS. I chose the tools from this site: http://opensourcepack.blogspot.com/p/cdrtools.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MinGW-based (which I meant to say instead of GTK+...) Didn't work. At least it errored out instead of taking every CPU cycle. I'm guessing that that version either doesn't have BIN/CUE support or that the necessary options are different.

Took a different tack: Looked through the source code to see what was causing the Scenario I error. For whatever reason, you chose to add a 'j' to the path for a Japanese Scenario I. Since no folder ending in 'j' exists, of course it was going to fail. (I don't know... did you mean to do that? Does the NTSC-J Scenario I fail to patch at all?)

Now I'm going to do some heavy meddling; I may "improve" the source code overall. (Note my use of quotation marks.)
I wouldn't meddle too much into it, I redesigned the code and won't be able to merge with the existing. As for Scenario 1J, The patch does not work yet, I do not think the old translation patch works on it either, the file compression may have been different on it, but that part was over 10 years ago so I do not remember anymore.
Special T
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Special T »

No rush, I was able to get the patcher working using EricLegacy21's work around.
knight0fdragon wrote: As for Scenario 1J, The patch does not work yet, I do not think the old translation patch works on it either, the file compression may have been different on it, but that part was over 10 years ago so I do not remember anymore.
So it sounds like the Japanese version of Scenario 1 will be supported eventually? That will be a nice feature! I think the Japanese version of Sc 1 has the correct icon for the Tornado spell because the English version used what looks like start dust or something if I remember correctly. Would there be any other benefits of using the Japanese version of Sc 1 over the US version?
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by legalize freedom »

Special T wrote:No rush, I was able to get the patcher working using EricLegacy21's work around.
knight0fdragon wrote: As for Scenario 1J, The patch does not work yet, I do not think the old translation patch works on it either, the file compression may have been different on it, but that part was over 10 years ago so I do not remember anymore.
So it sounds like the Japanese version of Scenario 1 will be supported eventually? That will be a nice feature! I think the Japanese version of Sc 1 has the correct icon for the Tornado spell because the English version used what looks like start dust or something if I remember correctly. Would there be any other benefits of using the Japanese version of Sc 1 over the US version?
I'm almost positive it would require different files in places. If it happens, we'll have to see what all it breaks.
knight0fdragon
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by knight0fdragon »

Special T wrote:No rush, I was able to get the patcher working using EricLegacy21's work around.
You get to kill the Colossus in english? That is always a benefit
Special T
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Special T »

knight0fdragon wrote:You get to kill the Colossus in english? That is always a benefit
The Japanese version of sc 1 really is the best version so hopefully it gets included eventually.
boogieman

Post by boogieman »

cygiconv-2.dll
cygintl-8.dll
cygwin1.dll
mkisofs.exe

Hey, thanks for this, I was able to get it to work only after doing what you recommended.
Boegy

Post by Boegy »

Hey guys,

I'm an old member. Name used to be LinkinForcer but I forgot my password and no longer have access to the email I used to create the account with over 10 years ago. Glad to be back.

I'll help you guys out with this as well.

Eric can you post those files again? Your link no longer works. I have CDR-Tools but would like to avoid installing it if possible.

I just moved from Windows 7 to Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit.

I'm going to use my girlfriends computer to use the original patch to get the games going like that but will also help test this patch when I can.
Sir_Dantares

Post by Sir_Dantares »

Hi guys.

I am the translator of the recently completed Spanish Project of Shining Force III. Due to my ignorance about romhacking and creating patches, I have to use your patches and modify it with the files in Spanish.

Could you help me and create a NewPatcher executable for the Spanish version that includes the translation of Scenario 1 JAP? It's because I include that disk with my translations and people using Windows 10 can not translate it.

Thank you for your work and greetings from Spain.
knight0fdragon
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by knight0fdragon »

My apologies, I am just too busy to work on this, I know I was trying to get a new version up with a new compressor and open source it, but that got back burnered. I write code for my job and I write code for an app on the side, it is hard to find motivation to write code for this on top of it lol.
BobT36

Post by BobT36 »

That's a shame mate. It looked really good when I was looking at it before.

Hope you or someone gets the time at some point, it's much appreciated. :)
DomingoRules!
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by DomingoRules! »

knight0fdragon wrote:My apologies, I am just too busy to work on this, I know I was trying to get a new version up with a new compressor and open source it, but that got back burnered. I write code for my job and I write code for an app on the side, it is hard to find motivation to write code for this on top of it lol.
I hear ya. I do janitorial work for a living, so when somebody tries to get me to clean around the house, I'm like, "I spend 8 hours a day cleaning. The absolute last thing in the world I want to do when I get home is more cleaning."
Check out, and perhaps buy my book here: https://a.co/d/2AIkbwd

Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737