Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force III SFIII Translation Project
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Plans for repro cases/artwork for SFIII S2/S3?

A place for those working on the Shining Force III Translation Patch.

Plans for repro cases/artwork for SFIII S2/S3?

Postby DinoDerek » Fri Jan 15 2016 6:52am

Hey guys, I havent followed the project as long as most people (again an amazing feat for all involved.)

I was wondering, as a US Saturn collector/gamer, if you guys every considered making backart/coverart/manuals for S2 and S3? I think that would be awesome for shelf display and almost like a bit of closure on Sega not giving us US releases in the first place :)

I figure its been discussed here but figure Id ask again just in case.

BTW I know I havent updated by S2 CD burn issues in the other thread but I will soon!
DinoDerek

Re: Plans for repro cases/artwork for SFIII S2/S3?

Postby Special T » Fri Jan 15 2016 2:43pm

Looks like you are a couple years late lol

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12093&hilit=art

If any links are broken, please let me know and I should be able to fix them.

That link contains several images you might find interesting
- Custom US style box art
- Custom DVD style box art
- Translated world map
- Custom Disc labels (printable or can be used with lightscribe)
- Incomplete Manual - My aim was originally to convert the black/white US manual into color and re-create a manual for the other two scenarios including the PD, however they layout is different in the Japanese manuals and they are not translated so I put this on hold for now (well 7 years ago).

On a side note, I bought a US copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga resold the disc's, manual,and cover art and kept the case, and the card board disc holder (it came with three card board disc holders since one disc will fit in the case like normal). My thought was/is to print the custom US style box art, burn the custom Disc labels to CDR's using lightscribe, place the discs in the card board holders and print the full color manual (once it's eventually done). The only problem with this is that 4 manuals wouldn't fit in the case with the discs, so the only thing I could think of would be to merge all 4 manuals into one which would save space because it would reduce redundancy.

I don't want to set false expectations so please know the manual won't get done anytime soon because I'm working on multiple projects at the moment. I honestly can't wait for the full complete/final version of the translation to be released it's been a long time coming but I know it will be worth the wait!

**EDIT**
The other reason I put this project on hold is I don't want to have to redo a lot of the art work. Some parts of the translation are still changing, not often but it's still happening from time to time so I figured it would be best to wait until the translation is almost done then work on finishing up everything on that list.
Special T

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby DinoDerek » Sat Jan 16 2016 10:26pm

Hey Special T thanks a ton for posting that! Awesome work you did already.

I agree that once the entire translation is finished would be wise to make the final changes.

I had a question though, did you consider doing a separate manual/backart for S2 and S3? I wouldnt be opposed to having 3 separate games on the shelf seeing as thats how they were released in JPN (and I assume if SOA did decide to bring all 3 over it may have looked liked that) Either way since im addicted to the US Saturn cases/style Ill certainly be building these one way or another.
DinoDerek

Postby Special T » Wed Jan 20 2016 4:54am

My personal preference is just the all in one approach but understand the appeal of having individual cases and manuals. Plus, it's a time saver to make one case/manual vs making 4 cases and 4 manuals. It's something I can look into once my other projects are completed although I'm not making any promises.
Special T

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby DinoDerek » Thu Jan 21 2016 10:09am

Special T much appreciated. I have a final question for you that you can answer with PM. Do you do work like this for other games. I mean by cover/manual design. Do you do it professionally? There are other Saturn games Id love to have front/backart custom designed for. My artistic ability is limited. I would be willing to pay for such projects if this is something you do professionally.
DinoDerek

Postby Special T » Fri Jan 22 2016 4:13am

I don't mind answering here. I'm only a novice user of photoshop. In fact, my real life job has nothing to do with art.

I don't charge fees for any of the projects or art stuff I work on. It's more of a fun hobby that I occasionally get to work on. My home life is a little hectic (I have a wife and two children one of which has special needs) so I unfortunately don't have the capacity to take on additional projects. I made a US Sega Saturn style case template in photoshop that I'm more than happy to share if you want it. If so, just send me a PM and I'll send you a link.
Special T

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby RedSandBeach » Fri Aug 04 2017 4:28pm

I realize this post is probably long since dead, but the referenced thread for box/CD art is full of dead images and links. I'm trying to complete my own box designs, and it'd be awesome if anyone can point me to some of the original pieces!
RedSandBeach

Return to SFIII Translation Project